Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Here's the weight comparison of the two models of Progress:
    -Progress Long Handle 99g
    -Progress Short Handle 90g

-Progress Short Handle (metal knob*) 101g

*(I purchased a Mergress type metal knob on B&B from Cooncatbob)

For further comparison:
    Gillette Fusion, non battery version, with cartridge 41g
    Gillette Slim Adjustable 71g
    Gillette Fatboy 81g
    Merkur 39c, long handle slant 110g
    Merkur Futur, satin 123g
    Merkur HD 77g

The Gillette Superspeeds seem to vary depending on year and version but range from 56 to 59g.

Very interesting. Do you have a Vision you can weigh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

MediaTank wrote: »
    Very interesting. Do you have a Vision you can weigh?

I haven't picked up a Vision but I believe it weighs in around 124g.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

MediaTank wrote: »

Waldos Barbershop also sells safety razors.

MT

MediaTank, where is that?

Amalgam wrote: »
    MediaTank, where is that?

Westmoreland St, or http://www.waldorfbarbers.com/

waraf wrote: »
    No problem mate. I'll stick it in the post on Monday

waraf, I'm delighted with what you sent me. The parcel arrived this morning.

warafgoldtech.jpg

A photo of the actual razor. 'Something' is on the way to you, as a thank you.

---

Aren't Tech handles great? The diamond milled stripes really give you a reassuring grasp on the handle. I think the Merkur HD will be going on a holiday to shelf-land for a bit..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

'Something' is on the way to you, as a thank you.

Thanks very much :) Glad you like the razor. At least it will get some use now rather than sitting on a shelf gathering dust in my place.

Evening shave with the Gilette fat handled Gold Tech.

Very very odd. The first thing you notice is how low profile the head is, slightly unnerving if you're used to mass being against your cheek. The blade gap is half, compared to the Merkur HD. I found good and bad in this. The bad: Your angle of attack compared to the Merkur is far less tolerant, if you don't angle your razor properly, it won't shave properly, full stop. The good: no more stubble in the dimples. I have dimples to the side of my mouth, the HD has trouble removing stubble there, with the Gillette Tech, smooth as silk, same for the lower lip, right at the corner. The smaller blade gap and low profile head really works to get in to pernickety areas.

One pimple nicked, but to be honest, the Merkur would have probably irritated that as well. Smooth shave, no complaints.

Shaving Shack no brand Israeli blade. Palmolive shaving cream. Boar brush.

if you don't angle your razor properly, it won't shave properly, full stop.

Yeah that's why I prefer adjustables to fixed head razors. I have my fatboy (which is the only razor I use) set to seven and it's great. I would never go back to a fixed head again

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

piaget wrote: »
    [HTML]

[/HTML]

+1 for the Wilkinson Sword

I agree. I have used Feather but am now onto Wilkinson Sword blades. My auld wan swore by them and would use nothing else.

Only problem is that Tesco, Dunnes etc have stopped stocking them! Luckily the McCabes pharmacy chain do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Hello all have found this thread great and just wanted to get some opinions before I dive in.

I was thinking of getting a Merkur 34c razor and blades to start off with and progress from there i.e. use the gels I have left at home till i buy a brush and cream just to make sure I can do it first witout buying all the other stuff also want to see how good the shave is.

Is this a good idea or should I stick to my fusion lol?

Any help or tips would be great.

Thanks Alex

• Advertisement

alexmcred wrote: »
    Hello all have found this thread great and just wanted to get some opinions before I dive in.

I was thinking of getting a Merkur 34c razor and blades to start off with and progress from there i.e. use the gels I have left at home till i buy a brush and cream just to make sure I can do it first witout buying all the other stuff also want to see how good the shave is.

Thanks Alex

I'd start with a Progress, a pack of sample blades and an inexpensive brush and a tube of (English) cream. The brush are cream are an important part of the safety razor shaving experience IMHO. Anyone can shave with a safety razor it just takes a little bit of practice.

MT

waraf wrote: »
    Yeah that's why I prefer adjustables to fixed head razors. I have my fatboy (which is the only razor I use) set to seven and it's great. I would never go back to a fixed head again

Agree on the Fatboy, only one I use too. Mine is set to 2, and I have a very tough wiry beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

alexmcred wrote: »

Thanks Alex

Good man Alex, you won't regret it! I started with the safety razor a few months back and haven't looked back. Jesus think about the price of those fusion blades!!! Give yourself some time to learn the shaving technique and your all set. Checkout out mantic59 shaving tutorials on youtube.

I'd go along with previous posters, but.. convert to shaving cream from the off, it'll save your face for the first few weeks, which may or may not be plain sailing, depending on your skin.

The difference between an airy foam and a nice wad of sloppy shaving cream is huge.

Heck, a week or so in with shaving cream, go back to foam for a try.. You'll say to yourself, 'what was that all about?'.

It's not just the chemistry of the shaving cream, but how you apply it with a brush, patting or rubbing in a foam\gel with your hand just isn't the best way to prepare your skin and stubble for the task ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Can i just say i love this thread. Just spent the morning reading through cos i hate my Mach3 fusion piece of crap and the price of blades are terrible, so I decided to treat myself to a Merkur 570 Progress and some creams and brush etc.

Looking forward to getting them in the post and after seeing some links in the first few pages, I watched some of mantic59's videos on Youtube which were extremely helpfull.

I think all men that shave or style their facial hair should have a damn good read through this thread, and Ill be sending the URL on to some of my mates too.

Good work lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Can i just say i love this thread. Just spent the morning reading through cos i hate my Mach3 fusion piece of crap and the price of blades are terrible, so I decided to treat myself to a Merkur 570 Progress and some creams and brush etc.

Looking forward to getting them in the post and after seeing some links in the first few pages, I watched some of mantic59's videos on Youtube which were extremely helpfull.

I think all men that shave or style their facial hair should have a damn good read through this thread, and Ill be sending the URL on to some of my mates too.

Good stuff. The progress is an excellent starting point and will probably be the only safety razor you will ever need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Good stuff. The progress is an excellent starting point and will probably be the only safety razor you will ever need.

Well im looking forward to getting it. Had a shave after I first posted and the razor burn was terrible...... come on An Post...get a move on.

Well im looking forward to getting it. Had a shave after I first posted and the razor burn was terrible...... come on An Post...get a move on.

I used to suffer from savage razor burn both before and after switching to DE shaving. I quickly learnt that if you apply pressure with a DE razor you will get razor burn just as badly as you did before. So my number one tip for the newbie DE shaver is to just let the weight of the razor press against the skin. You don't need any extra pressure.

It'll probably take you about a month to get good with your new razor. When I started first it was taking 3 to 4 passes to get a BBS (baby butt smooth) shave. Now I can do it in a single pass (with just a minor touch up here and there).

Have you figured out which direction each part of your beard grows in yet? This is also important for avoiding razor burn.

Just to say.. If you don't have PayPal, contact Leon at http://vintagescent.com/ He'll send you his bank account details to lodge money into, as an alternative.

Hope to grab a pair of these.. and some La Toja.

semogue2000.jpg

Semogue 2000 - Boar brush

Just to say.. If you don't have PayPal, contact Leon at http://vintagescent.com/ He'll send you his bank account details to lodge money into, as an alternative.

Hope to grab a pair of these.. and some La Toja.

semogue2000.jpg

Semogue 2000 - Boar brush

He's a good guy with quality products make sure you get the order in before he goes on hols ;)

• Advertisement

He's a good guy with quality products make sure you get the order in before he goes on hols ;)

He's off tomorrow.

July 27 - August 10. I'll deposit the money in anyway.

I already have La Toja, someone very kindly gave me a 300ml pressurised foam can of it, but I can't go back to foam.. doesn't stop me from huffing it on the sly, every so often, the smell (as you know) is gorgeous..

He's off tomorrow.

July 27 - August 10. I'll deposit the money in anyway.

I already have La Toja, someone very kindly gave me a 300ml pressurised foam can of it, but I can't go back to foam.. doesn't stop me from huffing it on the sly, every so often, the smell (as you know) is gorgeous..

I've tried the two La Toja creams he stocks and the aftershave balm.
    The balm is rather like the Proraso AS balm and is good. I prefer the
    sensitive cream to the regular La Toja.

The 444 balm he stocks is different to the normal balms but worth picking
    up if you like your menthol. You just add a pea sized amount to your
    regular bals/aftershave splash -it's unscented but adds that menthol cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Welcome aboard Vengeance52 - delighted to see another convert. I started into proper wet shaving a couple of years ago and recently moved up to straights. Currently getting my best shaves ever. Still use the Merkur 39c slant from time to time and it's great for travelling. I thought about a Progress but with a straight there's no need.

Enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mantic59

Hello everyone. I hope you don't mind a Yank popping in once in a while (yes, I'm the one who does the videos). I've been following this thread for a while and decided to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

We're not worthy!!

Welcome Mantic and thanks for all your instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

GD wrote: »

Welcome Mantic and thanks for all your instruction.

+ 1 - Céad Mile Fáilte :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

mantic59 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I hope you don't mind a Yank popping in once in a while (yes, I'm the one who does the videos). I've been following this thread for a while and decided to register.

Wow, unexpected! Thanks for popping on Mantic - You've saved me (and a hell of a lot of others I'm sure!) nicks, cuts, razor rash and money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

...speaking of razor rash....

Lads-What's your best cure ?

I'm not a total noob,a returnee 6 months or more to DE(I'm old enough to have started with a DE :))

This morning I got my first ever bad razor burn and it still feels raw...only a small patch on my cheek.I probably made a terrible mistake of (a) - a razor I hadn't tried before (b) A blade I hadn't tried before and (c) was in a bit of a rush..I put on AS, that was not a good idea,if you heard a scream around 7:30 that was me..:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

mantic59 wrote: »
    Its great to have you here and thanks for all your excellent videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

This morning I got my first ever bad razor burn and it still feels raw...only a small patch on my cheek.I probably made a terrible mistake of (a) - a razor I hadn't tried before (b) A blade I hadn't tried before and (c) was in a bit of a rush..I put on AS, that was not a good idea,if you heard a scream around 7:30 that was me..:D

Chances are it was being in a rush. The AS mightn't have helped either - I usually wait at least half an hour before I'll put some on freshly shaved skin, otherwise, I'll slap it on the lower part of my neck.

You can slow down, with still being quick, and remember not to go over any area without lather. (My aul'man went to use my razor a while ago, I got shivers up my back when I saw him going over the same area 3 times without lather. He learnt his lesson quite fast though :o )

Advertisement