Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mantic59

...speaking of razor rash....

Lads-What's your best cure ?

I'm not a total noob,a returnee 6 months or more to DE(I'm old enough to have started with a DE :))

This morning I got my first ever bad razor burn and it still feels raw...only a small patch on my cheek.I probably made a terrible mistake of (a) - a razor I hadn't tried before (b) A blade I hadn't tried before and (c) was in a bit of a rush..I put on AS, that was not a good idea,if you heard a scream around 7:30 that was me..:D
    I'm not sure this is available "across the pond" since they're both native to North America, but Aloe Vera and Witch Hazel are both very effective treatments. Plain aspirin can be useful too: crush one tablet (remember, regular aspirin, no buffers or additives) in a bowl and add a couple teaspoons of water to make a paste; dab it on the area, let it sit there for a couple minutes, then rinse with cool water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks Mantic, I forgot I have a bottle of witch hazel.. .somewhere..
    As it happens I was cleaning a brush a short while ago, I did a practice face lather with Mitchells wool fat soap,that patch feels much better now.Must be the lanolin.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Mantic59, great to see you around these parts and I hope you're keeping well.

Is that a new video I see uploaded? http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Thanks a million for the work and effort you have put into those videos
    and in promoting the benefits of better shaving.

Boots and most of the larger chemists stock witch-hazel, you may have
    to ask at the pharmacy counter for it. You can also pick up Thayers
    via iherb.com - delivery is only USD3 if you keep the weight below 3lbs
    and delivery on my last couple of orders was around the 7 days.

I got my MWF and Proraso Aloe & Green tea shaving soap refills this morn along with
    some Erasmic and TOBs Sensitive shaving creams which I have yet to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Thanks Mantic, I forgot I have a bottle of witch hazel.. .somewhere..
    As it happens I was cleaning a brush a short while ago, I did a practice face lather with Mitchells wool fat soap,that patch feels much better now.Must be the lanolin.

You'll find Aloe Vera in every chemist too. I swear by it for everything from shaving to sunburn!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    You'll find Aloe Vera in every chemist too. I swear by it for everything from shaving to sunburn!

For bad burns (shaving or sun induced) keep the aloe vera gel in the fridge ;)

I use 99% aloe vera gel I picked up in Natures Way for a couple of quid
    some days instead of a balm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

mantic59 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I hope you don't mind a Yank popping in once in a while (yes, I'm the one who does the videos). I've been following this thread for a while and decided to register.

From your videos, i had one of the best shaves with a Mach3, still dont like them so getting a Merkur Progress and I cant wait to use it.

MASSIVE thanks :pac:

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I'm still learning the board software so as soon as I can figure out the Thank You system I will use it. :)

Interesting comments about Witch Hazel and Aloe Vera. Previously I had several Brits tell me (I think over on B&B) that they never heard of the stuff. Gran Hermano, yes, I just uploaded a new video. Its pretty basic though: I made it for a contest (voting link will be coming in a couple weeks ;) ) but I think it will also be useful for "gently" introducing people to proper shaving without being too shaving-raving-maniac like some of my videos are (I admit it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I found me witch hazel

"Bonfields mildly perfumed"

Foran Chemicals,Cherry Orchard Ind. Est. Dublin

I buy Irish :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Big thanks from me to Mantic, learnt how to method shave from your videos man!

I don't do it every time, but if I have the time and feel like spoiling myself, it's still one of the best ways to spend a half hour alone in the bathroom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Musashi wrote: »
    still one of the best ways to spend a half hour alone in the bathroom!

I'm just shaving Mum, honest. I'll be out in a minute :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

Your videos are brilliant. Thank you!
    Hello everyone. I hope you don't mind a Yank popping in once in a while (yes, I'm the one who does the videos). I've been following this thread for a while and decided to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wow, amazed to see Mantic posting here! Welcome along, you've quite the Irish fan base here! I think that due to your videos I've had nothing but pleasant DE shaving experiences, with only the occasional little nick, whereas if I'd gone in blind I'd have left the bathroom looking like there'd been a massacre in there! :D

Have to admit though that I'm still using a fairly crappy razor, the Wilkinson Sword 'Classic', and the matching blades, but will be trying to get my hands on a Progress and some Israeli blades soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I made the leap to DE yesterday. A shave in a barbers in Turkey was what started it and I bought an own-brand DE razor and blades in Boots yesterday just to try it out. Result was fantastic!

Checked out mantic59's videos on YouTube, was pleasantly surprised to see this morning that he's here on boards.ie - fáilte romhat!

As it's a big thread, I haven't got the time to search it all for recommendations for shops in Dublin in which to buy goods. Any good shops then? Cream, brushes, razors, blades etc...

I made the leap to DE yesterday. A shave in a barbers in Turkey was what started it and I bought an own-brand DE razor and blades in Boots yesterday just to try it out. Result was fantastic!

Checked out mantic59's videos on YouTube, was pleasantly surprised to see this morning that he's here on boards.ie - fáilte romhat!

As it's a big thread, I haven't got the time to search it all for recommendations for shops in Dublin in which to buy goods. Any good shops then? Cream, brushes, razors, blades etc...

Amalgam posted this some days back, detailing a couple of shops win Dublin.

I'd recommend placing an order online for some Proraso or Taylors of Old Bond St cream,
    these are not only good creams but are easy to lather.
    http://www.connaughtshaving.com/
    http://www.shaving-shack.com/

Blades are unusual insofar as different people find different blades suit better,
    hence why I recommend a sample pack.
    http://www.connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html

Brush wise, have a look at the Semogue range on www.vintagescent.com
    The boar brushes he stocks are amazing value for under €15 and the
    Semogue badger brushes are equal to the usual big brand name brushes
    but a lot cheaper. (Thanks to how they're made in a small factory in
    Portugal and relatively unknown). The owner of Vintage Scent is on hols
    at the moment but it'll be worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thanks Gran Hermano. I visited the Connaught Shaving website and ordered myself:

A Merker Progress (570)
    wp113be672_0f.jpg

A 70-blade popular Sample Pack

and a Vulifix Piccadilly brush
    wpd6cbfe72_0f.jpg

Can't wait for the delivery! Thanks for all the help in the preceding 77 pages (don't worry I haven't read all of it) ;)

I just updated my blog's shaving-related discussion list of forums with this thread. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mantic59, great to see you on boards.ie
    Started using a safety razor back in January and learned pretty much everything from your videos, they're a great resource for information! :)

I'm converted a few friends to a safety razor since too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Between B&B and this monster thread I'm loosing track of what was
    recommended where and by whom :confused:

Ditto here! I'm only thinking of converting to DE and you already have a few shaves under your belt!
    I was hoping to get through this thread before ordering but it's just taking toolong to read. This was quoted from post no. 696.

I am interested enough to take the plunge but am a bit confused as to what items and where to buy.

Razor: I was thinking of the Merkur Progress and a few of you have recommended it for a beginner but then I read about inconsistencies with the blade gap. Is this a widespread problem with them?
    Others I have thought of are the Merkle HD and the Muehle
    I was reading rave reviews of this one until the negative ones scared me off!

Any thoughts on the above razors or any others for a newbie?

Brush: I have a men-u one which I used for a while with a Mach but to be honest I didn't really notice much difference.
    Maybe I need to try a superbadger?
    I want to get a fairly decent one but not too excessive pricewise.

Will I need a stand? I've read somewhere that uou can just stand them on their base?

Soap or creme or both? Any thougths?

Is there much differnce between using a mug/bowl and lathering directly onto your face?

Any help or advice on the above or anything else greatly appreciated as I want to order soon,
    Thanks. :o

Will

JimiMac wrote: »

I am interested enough to take the plunge but am a bit confused as to what items and where to buy.

Brush:....Maybe I need to try a superbadger?

Will I need a stand? I've read somewhere that uou can just stand them on their base?

Is there much differnce between using a mug/bowl and lathering directly onto your face?

Any help or advice on the above or anything else greatly appreciated as I want to order soon,

Will

The thing is Will, that shaving is a very personal thing. What works for one person won't work for another. Here are my thoughts but as I said, this works for me

Razor: I started with a Merkur HD. It's about as basic a razor as you can find. It will give you a decent shave. However I then tried an adjustable razor (Gillette Fatboy) and I found it was so much better because I can adjust the agressiveness to suit me. For that reason I would recommend that you buy an adjustable too. A progress of fatboy would be fine to start with. You'll probably end up trying a few razors over the next year anyway.

Brush: I started with a cheap pure badger brush. I found that it irritated my neck so I bought a super badger on ebay for about 50 euro. It's much softer and gives no irritation.

Brush stand. You don't need one unless the manufacturer of the brush says it specifically. Just rinse the brush in clean water, give it a little squeeze and then dry gently in a towel.

Soap or Creme or Stick etc. They're cheap. Buy one of each and see which one you prefer. I have all three and I rotate. I can't say which one is best but in my experience cream is easiest to make a decent lather. Also, when you use it, don't scrimp on the amount you use. You'll make a better lather if you're a little generous with the cream.

Making lather in a bowl or on your hand or on your face. I started out with a bowl but I now lather in my face. It's possible to make a perfectly good lather whichever way you choose. I face lather cause I'm lazy and I don't have to clean out a bowl when I'm finished.

Cabaal wrote: »
    mantic59, great to see you on boards.ie
    Started using a safety razor back in January and learned pretty much everything from your videos, they're a great resource for information!

+1. Your videos are excellent Mantic. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Will the progress is a fantastic razor. As it is adjustable you can have it on a very mild setting which is ideal when finding your feet. Then as you "Progress" you can adjust to suit your technique. There are plenty of choices though but things rarely go wrong with a progress. Another advantage is when sampling different blades it is useful to be able to adjust the head to suit as blades have varying degrees of sharpness ect...

As has been said before with regards to building lather you really need to take a little time to experiment with what works best for you. Like waraf I also lather directly on my face as it softens my beard nicely and it is quicker! The main thing though is to whip up a thick cushioning lather. Preparation is key and YouTube is your friend ;)

Ditto here! I'm only thinking of converting to DE and you already have a few shaves under your belt!
    I was hoping to get through this thread before ordering but it's just taking toolong to read. This was quoted from post no. 696.

Razor: I was thinking of the Merkur Progress and a few of you have recommended it for a beginner but then I read about inconsistencies with the blade gap. Is this a widespread problem with them?
    Others I have thought of are the Merkle HD and the Muehle
    I was reading rave reviews of this one until the negative ones scared me off!

Brush: I have a men-u one which I used for a while with a Mach but to be honest I didn't really notice much difference.
    Maybe I need to try a superbadger?

Will

Will,

Just to add to what the others have recommended, I can vouch for the
    Merkur Progress. It was the second razor I bought earlier this year
    and out of the dozen or more I've bought since it's still one of my favourites.

Quick shopping list to start:
    -Merkur Progress
    -Proraso or Taylors of Old Bond St shaving cream (avocado is great!) I find these two brands the easiest to lather with good cushioning/protection.
    -Shaving brush, you dont need to start with a top of the range silvertip badger. Look at Semogue brushes or Omega as they are both good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Thanks for the replies.
    Sorry for the confusion, but my name is not Will. I forgot to delete the name from Gran Hermano's quote!:o

I'm kinda undecided between three razors:

1. the Merkur Progress. Good reviews, but a bit concerned about the reported issues with blade gap.

2: The Mergress. An adapted Progress which is nicer than the Progress and 'fine-tuned' (?) a bit. The upgrade makes it a lot nicer but more expensive and may still have the 'gap' problem of the Progress?

3. Muhle R89. Very nice looking but non-adjustable. Knights have them for €30. Good reviews here, which was swaying me but I have also seen poor reviews which frightened me. (Can't remember where).
    There is also this, which I think is the same razor more or less with a different 'look and feel'.

Any Muhle owners or thoughts on this one for a newbie?

Jim

I've two versions of the Progress and no blade gap issuses. The extra weight of the mergress makes it more aggressive and the postage from the normal supplier is steep.

From what I've read Merkur have good customer service and will replace any faults.

I've seen the R89 get good reviews but I'd still swing towards the plain Progress as a first purchase and later picking up the others

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Jim, there's a lot to be said for and against getting an adjustable razor. There's nothing wrong with the MÜHLE, I'm eyeing it up myself. Both it and the Merkur HD are great razors to start out with. The Progress does have quirks which are worth reading about and weighing up, issues you will not have with the MÜHLE or Merkur.

For what it's worth, the MÜHLE comes with a metal travel tin of some description.

Once I have a clutch of reasons to go into Dublin, a MÜHLE purchase will be made.. :D

gxDmReA.jpg Pq1mAJhA.jpg aV1hO9a0.jpg aV1hLA1J.jpg

---

Just to ask, MediaTank, did you mention cut throat 'classes' or lessons in Dublin, for using a straight? I am getting deja vu.. I wouldn't mind sizing up what's out there to attend\sign up to.

Any Muhle owners or thoughts on this one for a newbie?

Jim

Generally Merkur and Muhle razors are very well made. I would not be concerned about quality issues with either. To add to your confusion you should take a look at the Parker 91R! There is no reason why the Muhle should not work for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Was it not the case that Merkur made razor heads for MÜHLE at some point, or still do?!

Amalgam wrote: »
    Was it not the case that Merkur made razor heads for MÜHLE at some point, or still do?!
    Not sure about that actually... I think the Edwin Jagger razors use or used both Merkur and Muhle heads.. From what I understand Muhle heads are a tad more aggressive than the equivalent Merkur. I could have that wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »

---

Just to ask, MediaTank, did you mention cut throat 'classes' or lessons in Dublin, for using a straight? I am getting deja vu.. I wouldn't mind sizing up what's out there to attend\sign up to.

Not that I remember. There's a book written by an Irish guy which features straight shaving. Other than that Trumper run shaving classes in London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I just updated my blog's shaving-related discussion list of forums with this thread. :D

Welcome to boards.ie Marc, love your videos.

MT

Advertisement