Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

mantic59 wrote: »
    I just updated my blog's shaving-related discussion list of forums with this thread. :D

I can see you've picked up on the colloquial use of "massive" already :cool: ;)

MediaTank wrote: »
    Other than that Trumper run shaving classes in London.

Now there's an excuse for a decent day out in Jermyn St ... :D - not sure it would pass her indoors though!

"Just popping over to London to learn how to shave darling. Back in a bit"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Amalgam wrote: »
    ---

Just to ask, MediaTank, did you mention cut throat 'classes' or lessons in Dublin, for using a straight? I am getting deja vu.. I wouldn't mind sizing up what's out there to attend\sign up to.

Amalgam, for some reason I think these guys used to advertise classes
    http://www.irishbarber.com/
    Website is undergoing renovation but might be worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

you may have
    to ask at the pharmacy counter for it. You can also pick up Thayers
    via iherb.com - delivery is only USD3 if you keep the weight below 3lbs
    and delivery on my last couple of orders was around the 7 days.

Thanks for that

Ordered 2 bottles of Thayers Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera (12oz think that's 350ml),I googled a coupon($5 disc for first time customer) and total including postage was just over $13 US - Don't know how they make money out of that.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Anyone know where I can pick up a good-quality leather men's toiletry bag to store all my shaving stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I was out at the Ballybrack Tesco at an ungodly hour this morning, surprised at the amount of safety razor friendly stock they had on for sale.

For over-the-counter Dublin, the idea of a shaving brush and cream for about 6 euro and fifty cent isn't too shabby.

dustytesco01.jpg

I have two of the Wilkinson brushes, quite small and supple, I would rate them higher than the basic Men-Ü. Much more pleasant on the face, softens up like butter once wet, that softness mightn't be to everyone's taste though. The handle is eliptical in shape and very easy\natural to hold.

I haven't used the Wilkinson shaving soap, but it gets good coverage on Badger & Blade.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5719

I have used the Palmolive Classic, the smell isn't great but it works fine. Not the best lather, but a very unctuous\lubricating cream. The Palmolive Shaving Stick was priced at 59 cent.

The Tesco blades are a puzzle, basically, they seem to be no brand ASR blades. Israeli made. 2 euro 45 cent for ten.

dustytesco02.jpg

These blades are the same blades that the Shaving Shack give away with their orders. You can see the identical design on their News page: http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/news.php

Waraf gave me 40 of these and I've been using them ever since. No redness or dragging. Just a very.. heave-ho, crisp, no messing, kind of shave. YMMV.

So there, no idea if the prices were just for that store. Just thought I'd put up pictures for someone new that might not think to look in Tesco for some of their Safety Razor needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I have used the Palmolive Classic, the smell isn't great but it works fine. Not the best lather, but a very unctuous\lubricating cream. The Palmolive Shaving Stick was priced at 59 cent.

LOL I thought it was the only type available until I found this thread and then B&B

My pocket knows different now :)

I still think it's a good cream though.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Nice work. The tesco blades are Personna platinum chrome Israeli blades. There are a number of rebranded versions. I have attached an image of how personna package theirs in the UK plus their older version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Well i got my stuff in the post and just had my first shave... and OH MY GOD.

My Setup.JPG

That was the best shave I have ever had. I loved the sounds as you can hear the hairs being sliced when you shaved.

Im so happy with the results, and with a bit of time, will get alot better as I went very slowly.

BIG THANKS to this thread for opening my eyes to a better shave.

vengeance52, wait for the manly stubble. The nature of it, I find, changes when you switch to a safety razor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

il gatto wrote: »
    Got my Trumpers sample pack yesterday. Very impressed (with product and service). First and foremost, the legendary Trumpers Limes. Love it. Really sherbety scent. Lasts exactly zero hours though. The Lime shave cream is also nicely scented, but not quite as much kick as the Vulfix Limes.

The Sandalwood blew me away. I got a sample of the cologne and skin food and used both. I expected a duller, less complex woody scent. It's like a less in your face Opium by YSL. It's gorgeous.
    I never tried the much vaunted Skin Food, but I have to say I'm impressed. Lighter than a balm, leaves the skin smooth, no sticky residue and I thought it's soothed well. Again, the sandalwood scent is lovely.

I sniffed the Wild Fern cologne as well. I specifically asked them for a sample. Liking it. I might try it later.

If anyone thinks they might splash out on some Geo. F. Trumper stuff, order the sample pack first. For €5.50ish, you can make an informed decision rather than blind buying and there's enough little vials and bottles to keep you occupied for a week. Great stuff:D

This is from page 54 btw! I'm a slow reader.
    Where's the best place to get this sampler pack?

JimiMac wrote: »
    This is from page 54 btw! I'm a slow reader.
    Where's the best place to get this sampler pack?

Direct from their website:
    http://www.trumpers.com/product_detail.cfm?ProductID=111547656

They seem to have changed the contents, when I ordered mine it was skin food and more creams instead of the shower and bath gels.

Pity about the shower gels being added, maybe the old selection was too good, from their point of view?

Pretty sure I got 6 creams, 6 cologne and 3 skin food. They do mention on the website "additional samples available upon request' so might be worth
    dropping an email asking if you can swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Well i got my stuff in the post and just had my first shave... and OH MY GOD.

My Setup.JPG

That was the best shave I have ever had. I loved the sounds as you can hear the hairs being sliced when you shaved.

Im so happy with the results, and with a bit of time, will get alot better as I went very slowly.

BIG THANKS to this thread for opening my eyes to a better shave.

That's a nice setup you have there vengeance. fair play to you.

That's a nice setup you have there vengeance. fair play to you.

Cheers, im loving it.

Im already "informing" people about using safety razors so ill be sending some converts this way pretty soon.

Quick question, is there any particular maintance i need to do with the razor after a shave?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Cheers, im loving it.

Im already "informing" people about using safety razors so ill be sending some converts this way pretty soon.

Quick question, is there any particular maintance i need to do with the razor after a shave?

Generally just make sure it is kept fairly clean and look out for any soap build up or general gunk. You can clean ackward parts with a soft toothbrush but with proper rinsing after every use and by rinsing inside the head when changing blades it is unlikley there will be problems.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Generally just make sure it is kept fairly clean and look out for any soap build up or general gunk. You can clean ackward parts with a soft toothbrush but with proper rinsing after every use and by rinsing inside the head when changing blades it is unlikley there will be problems.

Cheers, just wanna make sure i keep it a long time :)

Cheers, just wanna make sure i keep it a long time cos :)

Should last longer than a Merc! Oh err - bad pun intended :p

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Well, I've finally read through all of the pages of this thread!
    It's taken me quite a while.
    I've also ordered a load of shaving gear. I think my face might be a bit sore next week either from newbie razor use or from my missus when she finds out!! :eek:
    Now I have to go and study all of Mantic's videos before my new razor arrives.
    I'll post back after my first few shaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

I was out at the Ballybrack Tesco at an ungodly hour this morning, surprised at the amount of safety razor friendly stock they had on for sale.

For over-the-counter Dublin, the idea of a shaving brush and cream for about 6 euro and fifty cent isn't too shabby.

dustytesco01.jpg

I have two of the Wilkinson brushes, quite small and supple, I would rate them higher than the basic Men-Ü. Much more pleasant on the face, softens up like butter once wet, that softness mightn't be to everyone's taste though. The handle is eliptical in shape and very easy\natural to hold.

I haven't used the Wilkinson shaving soap, but it gets good coverage on Badger & Blade.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5719

The Tesco blades are a puzzle, basically, they seem to be no brand ASR blades. Israeli made. 2 euro 45 cent for ten.

dustytesco02.jpg

These blades are the same blades that the Shaving Shack give away with their orders. You can see the identical design on their News page: http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/news.php

Waraf gave me 40 of these and I've been using them ever since. No redness or dragging. Just a very.. heave-ho, crisp, no messing, kind of shave. YMMV.

So there, no idea if the prices were just for that store. Just thought I'd put up pictures for someone new that might not think to look in Tesco for some of their Safety Razor needs.

Same prices in Bray!!! Bought the Wilkinson shave Soap and going to get the brush as well.. Bought my first safety razor for 3.99 the other day and ive seen a major improvment already!! Well apart from a few nicks from shaving to fast lol

Good to hear mooeire, I am using that brush at the moment. You can push things along and dry it with a hairdryer to get it to bulk out a bit, which I've done. No issues with it.

Wilkinson sell different models with the same handle, I also have a boxed 'five star' version, which is pure badger. Sold for 4 euro in French supermarkets.

intermarchefrance4euro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

What aftershave balms would anyone recomend?

Good to hear mooeire, I am using that brush at the moment. You can push things along and dry it with a hairdryer to get it to bulk out a bit, which I've done. No issues with it.

Wilkinson sell different models with the same handle, I also have a boxed 'five star' version, which is pure badger. Sold for 4 euro in French supermarkets.

intermarchefrance4euro.jpg

Amalgam,

I'm in the process of switching over to a DE safety razor and I'm looking for a decent brush to get started. (See thread here:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61389351#post61389351

Would you recommend the 3-star Wilkinson brush available in Tesco over the Omega 48 Professional Pure Bristle which is available from the connaught shaving website?

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/brush.html

The Omega 48 is most probably a bit coarser. It really depends on what you think you'll enjoy using. I went from a pretty unforgiving, stiff, bristle Men-Ü, to a coarse non-brand Boar brush, to a rather floppy Wilkinson bristle brush. 4 euro odd won't break the bank, so, if its not to your liking, it won't be the end of the world. The Wilkinson is half the price, typically, of the Omega 48, when you include P&P, probably a bit more.

It'll take a month of steady use to soften the Omega.

The Omega 48 is most probably a bit coarser. It really depends on what you think you'll enjoy using. I went from a pretty unforgiving, stiff, bristle Men-Ü, to a coarse non-brand Boar brush, to a rather floppy Wilkinson bristle brush. 4 euro odd won't break the bank, so, if its not to your liking, it won't be the end of the world. The Wilkinson is half the price, typically, of the Omega 48, when you include P&P, probably a bit more.

It'll take a month of steady use to soften the Omega.

Ok, thanks. I will probably pick up the Wilkinson 3-star in Tesco (as it's cheap enough) along with the Omega. I haven't used a shaving brush before :o , so it will probably take me a while to find out exactly which type of brush I prefer.

Do you know where I can get the Wilkinson 5-star Pure Badger shaving brush? Is it available from any shops in Ireland?
    It might be worth picking up if it's cheap enough too....

No idea about the five star, all I know is the person that bought it for me said it was less than four euro. I know it is sold in Germany and France. I don't know why we would get just the 3 star version here, it might just be that Wilkinson don't have the full range except at huge Euro retailers etc. Who knows.

About the shaving brush, the nature of shaving cream will change a lot when used with a brush, as it should. It's only then that you'll reap the benefits of a change in your shaving methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

mooeire wrote: »
    What aftershave balms would anyone recomend?

I alternate between skin food and balm. I'd recommend Trumpers Skin Food or Art Of Shaving Balm (with vitamin C). Which one I use depends on the weather - warm = skin food, cold = balm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

MediaTank wrote: »
    I alternate between skin food and balm. I'd recommend Trumpers Skin Food or Art Of Shaving Balm (with vitamin C). Which one I use depends on the weather - warm = skin food, cold = balm.

I use Trumper's skin food too. It's light so a small bottle lasts for ages. I use the lime one which smells great going on but the scent doesn't last which allows me to use an aftershave if I want.

• Advertisement

I'd like to apologise for misleading. The Wilkinson Pure Badger trumps the Wilkinson Boar brush by a lot, it soaks up water in a manner that a Boar hair brush simply cannot. I didn't know any better before, as the brush was still sealed. I started using it last night.

Here's a picture of them side by side.

wilkinson3star5star.jpg

(3 Star Wilkinson Left - 5 Star Wilkinson Right)

Sorry.

I'm off to buy a Silvertip, now I know why they charge more..

Waraf, stalk your postman\postwoman.

Advertisement