Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Amalgam wrote: »

Waraf, stalk your postman\postwoman.

:D:D Will do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If anyone is looking for a nifty razor holder/stand that'll hold 4 of your favourite DEs, I picked one of these up in Ikea last week.

It's exactly what I wanted and even holds the longer handled razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I popped in there over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. They have a big selection of Trumper and Taylor products at reasonable prices as well as a selection of Merkur razors - alas no Progress though. Worth a visit if you need something in a hurry.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

If anyone is looking for a nifty razor holder/stand that'll hold 4 of your favourite DEs, I picked one of these up in Ikea last week.

It's exactly what I wanted and even holds the longer handled razors.
    Nice. Can the height of the holder be adjusted or is it fixed to the pole?

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Nice. Can the height of the holder be adjusted or is it fixed to the pole?

Am pretty sure it's fixed but will double check when home.

According to certain UK based shaving fora, TK Maxx often have Taylors and other decent brands of cream on offer. Anyone spotted it in their Irish stores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

MediaTank wrote: »
    I popped in there over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. They have a big selection of Trumper and Taylor products at reasonable prices as well as a selection of Merkur razors - alas no Progress though. Worth a visit if you need something in a hurry.

MT

Be careful here with the "reasonable" prices. They had the Merkur 38C up at €60 and they charge different prices for the various Trumpers Skin Foods - €20 for Limes and €24 for Coral. Given that the Trumpers price is £13 for all skin foods they might justify the €20 price but not €24.

I think I bought a Taylors tube the last time I was there for €12 only to find out later that Talyors website have it for £6.

That said, they may have changed their prices since the recession kicked in - they certainly close early if they have no barbering customers.

I would suggest putting an order together for a number of items from Trumpers\Taylors and checking their website first. The price may well come out less than Knights even with shipping.

I won't mention the Jermyn Street shirt shop that is selling Floris 89 for €90

Be careful here with the "reasonable" prices. They had the Merkur 38C up at €60 and they charge different prices for the various Trumpers Skin Foods - €20 for Limes and €24 for Coral. Given that the Trumpers price is £13 for all skin foods they might justify the €20 price but not €24.

I think I bought a Taylors tube the last time I was there for €12 only to find out later that Talyors website have it for £6.

That said, they may have changed their prices since the recession kicked in - they certainly close early if they have no barbering customers.

I would suggest putting an order together for a number of items from Trumpers\Taylors and checking their website first. The price may well come out less than Knights even with shipping.

I guess I was expecting them to charge more. So if you just needed/wanted 1 item they might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ordered 2 bottles of Thayers Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera (12oz think that's 350ml),I googled a coupon($5 disc for first time customer) and total including postage was just over $13 US - Don't know how they make money out of that.

This stuff arrived already,one of the bottles had a slight leak but no problem as they were in plastic bags.
    Weird thing is - even though the place is supposed to be in California,it was posted in Auckland New Zealand !

Also got a beautiful T&H super badger brush from a seller on B&B

Seven Worlds will Collide

I know the shipping from iherb is a strange one, since they dropped their
    shipping rates to only a few dollars they started shipping from New Zealand. (I've placed 3 orders that were shipped from NZ).

Prior to this they shipped from San Fran. Either way it's cheap and
    takes less than a week so no complaints here!

They have great prices on other products, I've picked up Aloe Vera gel and
    tea-tree soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

TK Maxx often have Taylors and other decent brands of cream on offer. Anyone spotted it in their Irish stores?

Would you have to check the date on the stock, end of line etc ..or would it be normal?

I thought TK Maxx was for umm.. getting rid of stuff past its prime, in some cases.

• Advertisement

Waraf, stalk your postman\postwoman.

Parcel arrived on Saturday morning Amalgam, thanks very much :)

Would you have to check the date on the stock, end of line etc ..or would it be normal?

I thought TK Maxx was for umm.. getting rid of stuff past its prime, in some cases.

Amalgam, have a read here re: TK Maxx

Has anyone else tried the new long handled Progress? The more I use the more I like it and dare I say it's giving me such great shaves it might replace the Fatboy as my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I didn't bother with the Wilkinson brush in the end. I've ordered a Semogue, but I was also thinking of buying this Tweezerman shaving brush as back-up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tweezerman-Mens-Deluxe-Badger-Hair-Shaving-Brush-2801_W0QQitemZ140338092533QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20accd59f5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=T&t=16033

Costs $19 (with shipping). Is it worth it for a back-up brush? Or should I put my money towards a more expensive brush (Edwin Jagger for example)?

One very good brush is worth ten average brushes in my opinion. Save you money and buy a super badger or best badger brush.

Has anyone else tried the new long handled Progress? The more I use the more I like it and dare I say it's giving me such great shaves it might replace the Fatboy as my favourite.
    Yes, It certainly has a good feel to it. I like that extra bit of weight in comparison to the standard progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

waraf wrote: »
    One very good brush is worth ten average brushes in my opinion. Save you money and buy a super badger or best badger brush.

Thanks waraf, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A heads up for other Astra Keramik fans, Ercan (melyus.com) said on B&B his stocks are getting very low (600)and is not sure when he can get them again.

Hurry before the Yanks wake up :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

A heads up for other Astra Keramik fans, Ercan (melyus.com) said on B&B his stocks are getting very low (600)and is not sure when he can get them again.

Hurry before the Yanks wake up :D

Good blades, I picked up 100 a while back.
    The Permasharps and Shark blades he stocks also gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I've been using a safety razor for the past 3 weeks or so and I love it. I was using Gillette Gel up until now (wasn't going to throw it out as it was half-full) and I had no problems.

As I'm still waiting for an order from Connaught, I bought myself a cheap brush (Vulfix) in a pharmacy and I just had my first shave with it. I noticed quite a few hairs come off the brush, and I felt a little irritation while I was applying the cream to my face.

Is that normal for a brush or is that the experience with all brushes?

I've been using a safety razor for the past 3 weeks or so and I love it. I was using Gillette Gel up until now (wasn't going to throw it out as it was half-full) and I had no problems.

As I'm still waiting for an order from Connaught, I bought myself a cheap brush (Vulfix) in a pharmacy and I just had my first shave with it. I noticed quite a few hairs come off the brush, and I felt a little irritation while I was applying the cream to my face.

I don't have extensive brush experience as I've only owned two. The first was a cheap pure badger brush (about 12 euro plus p&p from ebay). It irritated my neck big time. The second brush I bought was a super badger (about 50 US dollars plus p&p). It's much softer and doesn't irritate at all.

I only used the first one for a few weeks and I've been using the super badger for a few months. Neither brush shed any hairs at all.

• Advertisement

For a new brush hairs falling out is the norm - they will stop. I'd wash the bristle in soap and water and rinse thouroughly and allow to dry. All should be well then.

It's normal enough for a new brush to shed a few bristles at the start, a quality brush
    should not continue to loose hair regularly once it's broken in.

The irritation might also be due to the fact the brush is new and needs to
    break-in and soften. (Especially if it's a boar brush).

Give it a wash with some shampoo or practice your lathering and it'll help
    speed up the process. I normally whip up a couple of batches of Proraso
    and hot water with a new brush - helps speed up the process.

How about that for some quick answering! Your skin may just need a little time to adjust to using a brush. Irritation is not uncommon with a change in shaving practices. If you are not already try building the lather in a warm mug rather than directly on your face as it will help soften the bristles. Make sure the lather is thick, cushioning and holds its form. This will offer more protection from the bristles when applying to your face and also from your razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm enjoying living in London - Stocked up on shaving creams and soaps for the time being. I found a full DE shaving kit from the 1940's (Leather case was stamped with the year and 'London', but no brand names :( ) in a market today which I nearly bought. It was in a mint leather case, with soap holder, two containers for aftershave, a toothbrush (eugh) and a few other bits and bobs. Oh, and an open comb razor. Space for plenty of blades and a brush.

There was no price on it, but from the rest of the gear on the table, I reckon about 40 quid... I might go back :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I tried a super lather tonight with Palmolive shave cream and wilkinson sword soap. Even though i'm still using a Gilette Fusion I'm finding shaving a much better experience with the proper preparation.

I think a long handle progress may be on my shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm enjoying living in London - Stocked up on shaving creams and soaps for the time being. I found a full DE shaving kit from the 1940's (Leather case was stamped with the year and 'London', but no brand names :( ) in a market today which I nearly bought. It was in a mint leather case, with soap holder, two containers for aftershave, a toothbrush (eugh) and a few other bits and bobs. Oh, and an open comb razor. Space for plenty of blades and a brush.

There was no price on it, but from the rest of the gear on the table, I reckon about 40 quid... I might go back :-/

20 - offer 15

Unbranded ones rarely go for much over 20 on flea-bay unless they're minty

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Morf wrote: »
    I tried a super lather tonight with Palmolive shave cream and wilkinson sword soap. Even though i'm still using a Gilette Fusion I'm finding shaving a much better experience with the proper preparation.

I think a long handle progress may be on my shopping list.

Copycat!!!!!! :D Tried the exact same thing the other night, used to much Palmolive shave cream though!!!

Just thought I'd pass on something I only discovered over the last couple of weeks...

An alum block is not only great as a post-shave treatment, it's also useful
    for taking the itch away from mosquito/insect bites.

Last week I had that tingle you get just before a coldsore appears, well
    the alum block has also stopped it in its tracks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

20 - offer 15

Unbranded ones rarely go for much over 20 on flea-bay unless they're minty

Hmmm. 20 pounds isn't bad at all if I could get the rest of the kit thrown in. I'll be back down next Weds I reckon.
    Just thought I'd pass on something I only discovered over the last couple of weeks...

Works as a deodorant too. I picked up a few tubes of it on my travels in Slovenia a year or two ago.

• Advertisement

Alum has many medicinal properties and is popular in Chinese medicine. It can even be used as a deodorant due to its antiseptic qualities.

Advertisement