Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

I just found a great container to wisk up a great lather. An American bowl style coffee mug like you would see in the coffee place in friends.

I happened to be given one ages ago, and i can cup it on one hand and whip up a great lather. This would be my recommendation :P

My Mug and Brush
    mugandbrush.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Hmmm. 20 pounds isn't bad at all if I could get the rest of the kit thrown in. I'll be back down next Weds I reckon.

From flea-bay I picked up a Gillette Slim TTO travel shave - its a zipped leather container about 2.5-3 inch diameter - certainly no more than the length of the Slim containing dual mirror, nail clippers, razor and space for spare blades. Unused Stg 15 + 5 shipping.

Picked up a larger kit (7 x 4 in approx) with two chrome tubes, rectangular brush, Gillette alumunium travel tech for stg 18 + 5 shipping.

I guess the price in the market will depend on condition and what's in the kit. If it has that new kit smell it might still be a bargain at 40. I'd still offer half and see what happens.

The nice thing about London is that there are still loads of places selling proper shaving gear so the markets have retail competition - unlike here.

Just thought I'd pass on something I only discovered over the last couple of weeks...

An alum block is not only great as a post-shave treatment, it's also useful
    for taking the itch away from mosquito/insect bites.

Last week I had that tingle you get just before a coldsore appears, well
    the alum block has also stopped it in its tracks!

Wish I'd known about the mosquito thing - gotten eaten alive in Poland a few weeks ago. It seems they love Celtic blood :-)

A word to the wise on the deodorant thing - a similar product is available in many pharmacies but it's made from ammonium aluminium sulphate. Same principle and can be used as aftershave\cold sore\insect bite treatment in a pinch but it stings like buggery.

And for those of you who have looked up alum blocks on Wikipedia can I suggest that if you do intend using it for haemorrhoids - get a second one and keep it separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

And for those of you who have looked up alum blocks on Wikipedia can I suggest that if you do intend using it for haemorrhoids - get a second one and keep it separate.

I.. didn't need to visualise that.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I.. didn't need to visualise that.

I do apologise. I tried to find one but all I could find was the soap (http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:lkoWpMMi9v-0MM:http://www.fayerwayer.com/2006/09/face-arse-soap.jpg)

However I'm not sure that the Wikipedia article is quite correct. While the use of an alum block on the face can mitigate some bleeding and weepers it cannot staunch the flow of a decent nick the way a styptic which would contain anhydrous aluminum sulfate rather than the hydrated crystal form can.

Can I suggest then for those who may need minor relief from bleeding piles that a styptic pencil is a cheaper and more user friendly applicator?

Pictures not required :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Can I suggest then for those who may need minor relief from bleeding piles that a styptic pencil is a cheaper and more user friendly applicator?

Pictures not required :D

Have you not seen the blocks of 'Alum deodorant'?

Linky :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I just want to give an honourable mention to shaving.ie

I ordered some creams(Omega,Speik and Prorasso tub) on Friday and they arrived this morning.
    Reasonable prices,free shipping and good packing in a box.

Good to be able to buy local

(I've no connection with shaving.ie other than a customer)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

So, lets see everyones shaving setup. Here's mine;

Razor: merkur futur with derby blade.
    Mitchell's wool fat shaving soap.
    Shogun onyx pure badger shaving brush.
    schwarzweisskeramik shaving scuttle.
    Osma block and Prorasso aftershave balm.

I get incredible shaves with these products. Why did I waste so many years shaving with a mach 3 and shaving gel:confused:

aV1A9iiA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

This was my Sat/Sun setup

60 Super Speed
    Astra Keramik
    Kent BLK2
    Tabac SS
    Tabac AS

sotd.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Great stuff crowdedhouse.

• Advertisement

Basic.. trying to finish off tubes before buying more. My love for ceramic bowls etc ended with a split open finger and raspberry coloured sink.. hence the plastic.

amalgamsablutions.jpg

The Acqua Di Geo suits the weather.. not keen on moisturisers. Forgot to say, there's a Feather in the HD at the moment. My neck hasn't been too happy about that. Going back to the Shaving Shack\Tesco ASR after it.

Note to self: get some Tabac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Amalgam, Home store & More sell a double pack of 'tube squeezers'
    similar to these
    They're only a few quid and very useful for getting the last of the cream
    out of the tubes, especially the metal tubes.

Speaking of Tabac, am I alone in wondering what all the fuss on B&B is about?
    Apart from smell (which seems to be a love it or hate it scent)
    I find whilst it easily produces mounds of lather it just lacks something.
    By comparison I get better lather, more protection and cushion from Proraso soap
    or Mitchells Wool Fat.

I got another shipment from Connaught this morn, has anyone tried their
    own brand cream or the P160 soap (smells like marzipan and is a very soft Italian soap) ?

Gran Hermano, cheers on the tube squeezers, I'll have a gander at some point. We might have antique brass ones, somewhere in the house, looks like a clutch of belt buckles with an oversized watch winder to one side..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just a quick note on two 'new to me' products I tried out last night.
    I couldn't decide whether to try the P160 soap or the Connaught cream,
    so I did the sensible thing and tried both (one on head and one on face).

I want to try these both more before making any final conclusions but
    I'm well impressed so far. Due to a fallout between B&B and Connaught
    you won't see any reviews on B&B for Connaughts own brand shaving
    cream but check the Shave Den. It's a dense cream and a little goes
    a long way, my expectations were low but it surpassed them and I'd
    rate this as good as the 3 Ts. It comes in a 100g tub but I can see it
    lasting and I'll make sure to include some different scents in future orders.

The P160 shaving soap is an old school Italian product. It's a putty like
    soap and smells like you're shaving with a bar of marzipan. Loads of
    easy lather using a Semogue boar brush and plenty of cushion and no
    razor drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

The P160 shaving soap is an old school Italian product. It's a putty like
    soap and smells like you're shaving with a bar of marzipan. Loads of
    easy lather using a Semogue boar brush and plenty of cushion and no
    razor drag.

I had been meaning to get some P160 but cant stand the taste/smell of marzipan so looks like I will strike that from the list! Thanks for the review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I gave Knight's in St. Stephen's Green SC a visit this afternoon and they have great customer service. 10pk of Feathers cost e5 but he gave me three samples of Trumper's cream for free plus a few tips on using the creams. Can't wait for tomorrow morning's shave!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

5pk of Feathers cost e5
    :eek: for 5 blades? :eek:

axer wrote: »
    :eek: for 5 blades? :eek:

Oops, 10 blades for €5, I just opened the pack!

I've been using a safety razor for the past 3 weeks or so and I love it. I was using Gillette Gel up until now (wasn't going to throw it out as it was half-full) and I had no problems.

As I'm still waiting for an order from Connaught, I bought myself a cheap brush (Vulfix) in a pharmacy and I just had my first shave with it. I noticed quite a few hairs come off the brush, and I felt a little irritation while I was applying the cream to my face.

Is that normal for a brush or is that the experience with all brushes?

The hairs have stopped falling off the brush and my face has no irritation now :D Thanks for the help lads!

The hairs have stopped falling off the brush and my face has no irritation now :D Thanks for the help lads!
    Careful with those Feathers.. They are super sharp!

• Advertisement

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Careful with those Feathers.. They are super sharp!

Good God they're sharp! I had a great shave with them. I didn't go against the grain, although there's hardly a need to, even after one pass!

Are there sharper blades out there? Not that I need them!

Good God they're sharp! I had a great shave with them. I didn't go against the grain, although there's hardly a need to, even after one pass!

Feathers are as sharp as they come in my opinion. They are my No. 1 blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

They are the sharpest. Only the Swedish Gillette blades come close.

If there are I suspect they are made by Feather.

For consumers there are the Professional and Professional Super blades for their AC range of straight razors. They also make ones called ProGuard which has micro wires on the blade to prevent accidental damage to the skin.

For scientists and lab techs they produce carbon steel DE's for use in microtomes. They will fit a razor but from what I've heard they are way too sharp for shaving but perfect for super thin sections for slides.

If you really want sharper than a Feather DE you'll have to consider straights and spend some time sharpening them yourself.

Anyone got an open comb Merkur? I overlooked them.. just browsing at Connaught Shaving and it'll be either the:

11C Open comb HD

merkur11c.jpg

or the 15C (under twenty sterling!)

merkur15c.jpg

---

There's also the 41 (1904), which has a great price, under eighteen sterling, but the handle doesn't do much for me. I want grip.

merkur41.jpg

Any feedback, suggestions?

If anyone's used an open comb - Is it a much more aggresive shave than a closed?

If anyone's used an open comb - Is it a much more aggresive shave than a closed?

Fajitas! I read a weird explanation of it, basically that more lather got to interact with the blade and your stubble, at the cutting point, as a result of the open comb.

I forgot to add previously, the 11C, 15C and 41, all have 75mm (7.5cm) handles.

Ah, that makes sense really.

I might see what the prices are like in shop - The one for under 18 quid might not go astray, though I wouldn't mind something with a longer handle - It's probably my only fault with the Progress.

I can't speak for the Merkur's as of yet but I did get a Muhle R41 open comb some months ago. Looking at it I was expecting a much more aggressive shave than a closed comb. It did require a little more care but it was actually quite easy going.

• Advertisement

I meant to ask Shaving.ie, are you going to stock an open comb razor?

Advertisement