Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Yes definitely... I will keep (hopefully) expanding the range and the plan will be to eventually have the majority of the Merkur range of safety razors. I am expecting to have a choice of open combs but unfortunately it will be towards the end of September which is a bit frustrating but I have to take some time off. My priority at the moment is to bring in some more range to the soaps and creams which will be the next on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Shaving.ie is there any chance you might cater for Laser cards in the future? Transferring money to a paypal account, while doable, is a bit of a pain and takes the impulse out of impulse shopping. :)

Tzetze wrote: »
    Shaving.ie is there any chance you might cater for Laser cards in the future? Transferring money to a paypal account, while doable, is a bit of a pain and takes the impulse out of impulse shopping. :)
    Yes this will be implemented in the future. I do know it is a pain that we dont accept laser at the moment but it is on the cards for the future. Thanks for the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Yes,
    I am all for using the Laser as well, my understanding is that PayPay takes quite a whack off the retailer, I like to give business "local" as well if I can.
    Also, if its feedback, I think it would be a good idea to have a small description with each Razor, exactly like what was said for the open comb above, along with a "suitable for beginner, advanced" guide as well. I thought they were for shaving longer growth and the combs guided it into the blade!
    Same for the actual blades, it would be nice to see a "pecking order" list for sharpnress, agressiveness, etc.
    My 2c worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I shaved with the safety razor for the first time there yesterday morning. I used Derby Extra blades and Prosaso shaving cream. I was surprised how thin and flexible the blades are- I was expecting something like a stanley blade!

I probably rushed the shave a bit because I ended up with a few nicks; nothing too serious but it's probably all the bad habits that I've picked up from using the Mach 3. I did two passes and shaved with the grain both times. My neck was very, very red afterwards and ended up in a rash all over my neck. When I was using the Mach 3, I always ended up with a rash on one side of my neck, but the safety razor left a rash all over my neck. It probably wasn't as severe as using a Mach 3 however, because previously my neck would bleed quite badly, but with the safety razor my neck was more red and raw. About half an hour later I applied some moisturiser on my face and neck and that improved things a bit. The redness on my neck then died down a few hours later. I think I need a bit more practice with the safety razor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

I shaved with the safety razor for the first time there yesterday morning. I used Derby Extra blades and Prosaso shaving cream. I was surprised how thin and flexible the blades are- I was expecting something like a stanley blade!

I probably rushed the shave a bit because I ended up with a few nicks; nothing too serious but it's probably all the bad habits that I've picked up from using the Mach 3. I did two passes and shaved with the grain both times. My neck was very, very red afterwards and ended up in a rash all over my neck. When I was using the Mach 3, I always ended up with a rash on one side of my neck, but the safety razor left a rash all over my neck. It probably wasn't as severe as using a Mach 3 however, because previously my neck would bleed quite badly, but with the safety razor my neck was more red and raw. About half an hour later I applied some moisturiser on my face and neck and that improved things a bit. The redness on my neck then died down a few hours later. I think I need a bit more practice with the safety razor.

Check vids by Mantic, links on first few pages. You need to prepare your face better before you shave and you will notice notibile difference.

[EDIT] http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Also, make sure you really work the lather into your face, not just slap on a quick layer.

I shaved with the safety razor for the first time there yesterday morning.
    Hi Johnny... What safety razor are you using?

Check vids by Mantic, links on first few pages. You need to prepare your face better before you shave and you will notice notibile difference.

Also, make sure you really work the lather into your face, not just slap on a quick layer.

Thanks, I'm aware of Mantic's videos, but I will take another look at them.

I think my shaving prep is pretty good tbh. I use Nivea For Men exfoliating scrub and a facecloth in the shower before I shave. See here for a more detailed explanation of what I use:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61438057#post61438057

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Hi Johnny... What safety razor are you using?

I'm using a plastic Wilkinson safety razor which I picked up in Boots. I'm new to safety razors so I wanted to buy a cheap razor while I'm trying it out to decide whether I'd stick with it in the long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Thanks, I'm aware of Mantic's videos, but I will take another look at them.

I think my shaving prep is pretty good tbh. I use Nivea For Men exfoliating scrub and a facecloth in the shower before I shave. See here for a more detailed explanation of what I use:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61438057#post61438057

I'm using a plastic Wilkinson safety razor which I picked up in Boots. I'm new to safety razors so I wanted to buy a cheap razor while I'm trying it out to decide whether I'd stick with it in the long-term.

A good razor makes all the difference, but technique is very important too. The trick with a safety razor is USE NO PRESSURE - tricky with a light plastic model, but very easy with a metal one. PRessure is not your friend and is a habit carried over from the Mach 3 etc.

MediaTank wrote: »
    A good razor makes all the difference, but technique is very important too. The trick with a safety razor is USE NO PRESSURE - tricky with a light plastic model, but very easy with a metal one. PRessure is not your friend and is a habit carried over from the Mach 3 etc.

I think you're right. Probably poor technique on my part from using the Mach 3 over the years. I'll take my time and use no pressure the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

this is the best advice you'll ever get, watch the vids, especially the shaving forms and getting the cream right. When i started was the same as you, invested in loads of sensitive creams etc... turns out i wasn't preparing the cream correct, now get a great shave, three passes, feel like a super model, look like...well never mind but either way a great shave. keep on you'll get there mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I think you're right. Probably poor technique on my part from using the Mach 3 over the years. I'll take my time and use no pressure the next time.

I got bad shaving rash on my neck when I started too. The main thing that was causing it for me was that I was just shaving down and not with the grain.
    To solve this I let my beard grow for about 3 days and then I went over it slowly with my hand and figured out the direction of the grain of the beard on the different parts of my face. Now when I shave with the grain, some parts of my face I shave straight down and others at various different angles. Hey presto, no more rash. :)

Lads,

Quick question; the Derby blade has numbers 1,2 on one side and 3,4 on the other side. Are you meant to flip the blade over after one shave?

So, for example, for the first shave you might use sides 1 and 2. On the second shave, you might flip the blade over and use sides 3 and 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Lads,

Quick question; the Derby blade has numbers 1,2 on one side and 3,4 on the other side. Are you meant to flip the blade over after one shave?

So, for example, for the first shave you might use sides 1 and 2. On the second shave, you might flip the blade over and use sides 3 and 4.

Some people flip and some don't (me included). I don't believe it makes the blade last any longer and blades are so cheap you can change them regularly anyway

Did you notice any difference between the blades that came with the Boots razor and the Derbys?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mantic59

Lads,

The numbers are used in the manufacturing process and are meaningless to the consumer.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Did you notice any difference between the blades that came with the Boots razor and the Derbys?

The razor came with a set of Wilkinson blades. I haven't tried them yet, as I read on this thread before that Derbys are one of the best blades to start with.

mantic59 wrote: »
    The numbers are used in the manufacturing process and are meaningless to the consumer.

Ok, I was just curious as to what the numbers might signify. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lads,

You should handle the blade as little as possible i.e. pop the blade in and leave until blunt. As the blade is bevelled exactlt the same on both sides there's no need/advantage to flipping it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The razor came with a set of Wilkinson blades. I haven't tried them yet..

They're as good, if not better than the Derbys. Depends on who you ask.. :) YMMV

Give them a go, just.. a nice crisp shave. Not Feather sharp, but, to be honest, there are days when that kind of shave suits just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

I've just bought a packet of Feather blades and as a newbie to DE shaving (well back in the early eighties I used to use one) I think I may wait a while longer before trying one of them. I'm using the Isreali blades at the moment and find they give a very good shave.
    I'm considering buying the long handled Progress but can anyone recommend a good razor or is the progress the way to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

OldnCranky wrote: »
    I've just bought a packet of Feather blades and as a newbie to DE shaving (well back in the early eighties I used to use one) I think I may wait a while longer before trying one of them. I'm using the Isreali blades at the moment and find they give a very good shave.

I started a month ago and I have been using Boots own-brand blades. I bought a pack of Feathers last week (I didn't wait very long before trying them) and I find them great but disappointed I didn't buy them sooner!

I'm considering buying the long handled Progress but can anyone recommend a good razor or is the progress the way to go?

A Progress is a great razor to start with.

The Progress can tame Feathers as it can be adjusted to a very mild setting to start with. If you are currently using a good DE razor there may be little reason to change over to the Progress. But if you are unhappy with it an adjustable razor is definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mantic59

Not to knock the Progress--its my go-to razor--but I think a Weishi will also tame a Feather blade quite effectively. IMHO. :)

--Mark

Not to knock the Progress--its my go-to razor--but I think a Weishi will also tame a Feather blade quite effectively. IMHO. :)

--Mark
    I have not had the pleasure of using one but I hear the Weishi is really mild. I have to say I like the combination of a mild razor and a sharp feather:)

--Mark

They are a relatively inexpensive Chinese made razor, right?

As low as £8 sterling.. I was tempted. Don't quote me on this, but I think they're basically Flaretip clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Hi guys. I'm about to dip my toe into the world of safety razors but am a bit bewildered by the amount of choice out there. I've had a browse through what's available on shaving.ie and want to spend somewhere in the region of €20-€25.

I'm tempted to go for the Parker 91R and a set of Derby Extra DE blades, purely on aesthetics. :o

Would this be a good choice for a beginner, and if not, what would you guys recommend?

A few pages ago people were asking about shaving creams in TK Maxx I think it was yourself Amalgam. I was in Carrickmines recently and had a search for some. No Taylors but I spotted an interesting cream that I had not heard of. On closer inspection I was surprised to see it was made by the manufacturer behind the 3 T's. It's called Founders Reserve St James of London. It has a RRP of €22.95 reduced to €8.99 for 150ml and it comes in a very nice glass jar. I have been using it for the past few days and I have to say it is superb and I would recommend raiding TK Maxx in search of some. I believe there is a brushless version also. The scent I went for was Cedarwood. They also had some random Real Shaving products as well.

• Advertisement

That's a very nice handle on the 91R, I'm guessing the head on the 65R would be the same..

Just up from the 65R you have the Merkur 1904, which would give you some leeway, within your budget, to get some shaving cream or blades.

The Merkur is a 75mm lenght handle though.

Advertisement