Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Shaved again this morning with the Derbys and Proraso cream. Two passes with the grain. I took my time this morning and used no pressure at all. The results were a lot better than my first attempt- no nicks/cuts on my face and my neck wasn't as bad as the first day either. There was still a bit of redness on my neck, but I'm hoping this will gradually go with time. Also, I was very careful not to apply too much pressure on the neck area, so I didn't really get a close shave on the neck- I presume with time I'll eventually be able to go against the grain with no irritation so that I can get a close shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    A few pages ago people were asking about shaving creams in TK Maxx I think it was yourself Amalgam. I was in Carrickmines recently and had a search for some. No Taylors but I spotted an interesting cream that I had not heard of. On closer inspection I was surprised to see it was made by the manufacturer behind the 3 T's. It's called Founders Reserve St James of London. It has a RRP of €22.95 reduced to €8.99 for 150ml and it comes in a very nice glass jar. I have been using it for the past few days and I have to say it is superb and I would recommend raiding TK Maxx in search of some. I believe there is a brushless version also. The scent I went for was Cedarwood. They also had some random Real Shaving products as well.

Excellent, I'll have a look, the TKMaxx in Stephens Green, the stock is often unsorted, you could be there for ages. Saturday probably wasn't the best day to go in, mind you.

One of the Han Chinese traders in Dublin stock the Weishi, I can't remember which though, it's been ages since my 'noodle phase'... basically, the razor came in a blue plastic box with an oval or square mirror inside the lid. I don't think it was what you'd call a luxury model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Amalgam wrote: »
    Excellent, I'll have a look, the TKMaxx in Stephens Green, the stock is often unsorted, you could be there for ages. Saturday probably wasn't the best day to go in, mind you.

I was in TKMaxx stephens green yesterday, couldn't find any shaving supplies. Let us know if you find anything good!:)

Here's the website. http://www.stjamesoflondon.com/

Odd that it's hard to follow up on, as a brand. B&B just has a very small thread on their aftershaves.

Nice packaging, reserved, very gentlemanly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Guys would you recommend a Parker 65R for a safety razor beginner? its either that or the merkur progress which is about 30 quid more expensive.

Il be ordering a good brush and soap with it off shaving.ie so just wanted to know if the extra money is worth it for the progress.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

Guys would you recommend a Parker 65R for a safety razor beginner? its either that or the merkur progress which is about 30 quid more expensive.

Il be ordering a good brush and soap with it off shaving.ie so just wanted to know if the extra money is worth it for the progress.

thanks

Hi, I got the 65R from shaving.ie yesterday (I only ordered it at lunchtime Monday, now thats service!!) and it delivers a really nice shave. It looks fabulous and feels great in the hand, a nice weight to it.I'm only just starting out with DE shaving and I can tell you this it's a great one to start with (even if I've had only one shave with it, I'm already looking forward to my next one)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just got myself Founders Reserve from TK Maxx in Waterford:
    - Shaving Cream, Cedarwood & Clarysage
    - Hot Towel Mask, Cedarwood & Clarysage

7e each, not bad tbh, its reduced to clear and the normal RRP for the shaving cream is 22e

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OldnCranky wrote: »
    .I'm only just starting out with DE shaving and I can tell you this it's a great one to start with (even if I've had only one shave with it, I'm already looking forward to my next one)

This seems to be the consensus across the board for anyone who has switched its no longer a pain to shave instead it turns into something you work at, improve and enjoy.

Cabaal wrote: »
    This seems to be the consensus across the board for anyone who has switched its no longer a pain to shave instead it turns into something you work at, improve and enjoy.

True, very true, I would usually shave maybe once a week before, now its everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

7e each, not bad tbh, its reduced to clear and the normal RRP for the shaving cream is 22e

Let us know what you think of it. I am getting an amazing slick lather from it. Seeing as there is little info about it on the web I wonder is it discontunued. I sent the manufacturers an email to hopefully gather some more info on it.

• Advertisement

I was in TKMaxx stephens green yesterday, couldn't find any shaving supplies. Let us know if you find anything good!:)

I found them just as you go in on the left hand side, they didn't seem to have too much but its there, just before you get to the main floor area

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Let us know what you think of it. I am getting an amazing slick lather from it. Seeing as there is little info about it on the web I wonder is it discontunued. I sent the manufacturers an email to hopefully gather some more info on it.

Will do, TK Maxx in Waterford seem to have about another 30 packs of both the items, some on the reduced to clear shelf some priced normally at 9e (TK Maxx price v 22e RRP)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

OldnCranky wrote: »
    Hi, I got the 65R from shaving.ie yesterday (I only ordered it at lunchtime Monday, now thats service!!) and it delivers a really nice shave. It looks fabulous and feels great in the hand, a nice weight to it.I'm only just starting out with DE shaving and I can tell you this it's a great one to start with (even if I've had only one shave with it, I'm already looking forward to my next one)

Grand thanks. How does the razor arrive is it in a box or anything? Im just waiting on my paypal a/c to top up then im gonna order the whole lot. Razor, merkur blades, brush and shaving cream. comes to about €37. cant wait.

Grand thanks. How does the razor arrive is it in a box or anything? Im just waiting on my paypal a/c to top up then im gonna order the whole lot. Razor, merkur blades, brush and shaving cream. comes to about €37. cant wait.

Mine arrived in a little case, quite neat actually, I think it will depend on where you get it from though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

im gonna order the whole lot. Razor, merkur blades, brush and shaving cream. comes to about €37. cant wait.

Could I recommend you try Derby or maybe Wilkinson for starters.Lot of lads don't rate Merkur blades,I tried one that came with a razor - wasn't great

Just my 2c

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

And I've just arrived back here. Good timing. :D

Just had my first shave this morning, the hot towel mask ain't bad it gets alittle warm when you first put it on but doesn't appear to stay warm then (either that or I'm used to the heat of it already).

Its alittle messy and can't see it lasting long due to the size of the jar and amount required to cover the shave area.

The shaving cream makes a pretty nice lather, very smooth, overall the shave was very good and I ended up with no redness what so ever on the right side of my neck which was great.

Normally I end up with redness in this area 9 out of 10 times after two passes :(

Not sure about the mask but I'd certainly recommend the cream, not sure if I'm a fan of the cent though :confused:

photo1rza.jpg

photo2hoc.jpg

I'm a bit of a bodger/pickaroonie, once the labels are removed, that's the sort of jar that gets used for years afterwards.. :D

How thick and creamy is it in the jar? Wars thin or Proraso-like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Has anybody noticed the difference that hard water and soft water makes to their shave?

My shaves at home in Dublin are great but the only bad shaves I've had have been in Donegal and Galway. My skin has been very red after my rural shaves! My prep and equipment have stayed constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Shaved again this morning, but used Old Spice shaving cream and Wilkinson blades which came with the razor. Two passes with the grain and ended up with a severe rash on my neck again. :(

Didn't use any pressure at all and I also took my time during the shave. Maybe the Wilkinson blades are a lot sharper than the Derbys?

• Advertisement

Has anybody noticed the difference that hard water and soft water makes to their shave?

My shaves at home in Dublin are great but the only bad shaves I've had have been in Donegal and Galway. My skin has been very red after my rural shaves! My prep and equipment have stayed constant.

I get a horrible scum on the water over in London that I never get in Ireland. I don't think it affects my shaves too much though!

Hmm interesting, can't really comment too much though.

My house has awful water so bad I had to get a water softner because within weeks of moving in my shower sounded like it had rocks in it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I get a horrible scum on the water over in London that I never get in Ireland. I don't think it affects my shaves too much though!

Horrible scum are everywhere not just London and Dublin :D

Sorry, couldn't resist, back to safety razors...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Shaved again this morning, but used Old Spice shaving cream and Wilkinson blades which came with the razor. Two passes with the grain and ended up with a severe rash on my neck again. :(

Didn't use any pressure at all and I also took my time during the shave. Maybe the Wilkinson blades are a lot sharper than the Derbys?

Sharp usually means cuts rather than rash in my experience. Can we go through your shave routine in detail and we can try to help out.

I was given a present this morning. Always nice to get shave related items.

williamsmug.jpg

I have a plastic mug this'll fit perfectly, I want to ask a question or two about use, first time using a puck of soap.

Do I add any water to the mug itself, or just apply a well loaded brush to the soap, allowing the run off from the brush to supply the water?

When the shave is over, do I rinse out the mug with the puck in it, or just let things 'dry out' until the next use?

Slightly daft questions, I'm just not to sure how to maintain the puck and mug in between shaves, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Amalgam wrote: »
    I was given a present this morning. Always nice to get shave related items.

I have a plastic mug this'll fit perfectly, I want to ask a question or two about use, first time using a puck of soap.

Do I add any water to the mug itself, or just apply a well loaded brush to the soap, allowing the run off from the brush to supply the water?

When the shave is over, do I rinse out the mug with the puck in it, or just let things 'dry out' until the next use?

Slightly daft questions, I'm just not to sure how to maintain the puck and mug in between shaves, that's all.

A well loaded brush with warm water does the trick. You will eventually hit a sweet spot and get the lather you are after. Afterwards I just rinse out the lather and tip out excess water and it is grand (just make sure there is no large space beneath the puck where a pool of water can gather). There is a good vid of a guy doing this on YouTube I will try to find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsj58fqVjY&feature=channel_page

Use a well loaded brush to get some soap in, then in either another mug, your palm or your face, rub it on. Repeat to get some more, then start lathering - You'll find it difficult getting a good lather on the soap!

I give the soap a wash after with a bit of hot water, then cold water, seems to work well so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I find if I add hot water to bowl containing the soap and leave it a couple of minutes (whilst I have a shower)
    it softens the top of the soap nicely. Decant water and using a well loaded brush and gives me a better lather.

The Proraso Aloe & Green tea soap in a white container gives me a lather and shave as good as their cream.

After use I rinse off both soap and bowl and towel dry them.

The P160 and MWF soaps both give me great shaves and I'll buy them again.
    I found the Mamma Bear and TOBs soaps just satisfactory.

On the hard/soft water issue I've had no problems lathering Proraso in
    hard water areas when away but MWF ain't the easiest.

I've found the harder soaps take a week of use to break in from new.

I'll give it a go tomorrow morning. Gran Hermano, I keep forgetting about that 'white' Proraso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

The shaving cream makes a pretty nice lather, very smooth, overall the shave was very good ... not sure if I'm a fan of the cent though :confused:

bought the shaving cream and after shave cologne in tk maxx in cork today. €9.99 for each of them down here, cream down from €22ish and cologne down from €44...good savings. had a shave earlier, very impressed with the lather. very smooth, works up nicely, the blade just skims through it.

quite liked the scent myself, seem to prefer the "older" smells of sandalwood and cedarwood.

this shaving lark has gotten out of hand now though...have 8 creams and soaps, loads of blades, including some vintage WW2 blades, mugs, brushes, alum block, balms etc etc. so much for a cheaper way of shaving! :pac:

Advertisement