Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Plastic Wilkinson -> Heavy Metal HD = Happy Damo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I haven't clean shaved my face in years. Clippers yeah - razors no.

Any of you guys that ordered from shaving-shack.co.uk before know what their delivery times are like?

I ordered on the 5th. The order arrived just this morning. 10th.

shavingshack10th.jpg

I wanted a plastic Merkur case for my HD.. and the 30 blades gave me an excuse to order. Basically, any order (excluding P&P) over £10 Sterling gets you 30 ASR/Personna blades, the same ones Tesco sell, which I started using, thanks to boards member Waraf. The only down side is the starting price for P&P to Ireland, it is set at £6 Sterling. I don't have any issues with their service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I didn't find those plastic boxes too good. The hinge broke off quickly.

I bought one of these leather cases which seemed good until the button fell off:
    http://connaughtshaving.com/dovocase.html

axer wrote: »
    I didn't find those plastic boxes too good. The hinge broke off quickly.

I bought one of these leather cases which seemed good until the button fell off:
    http://connaughtshaving.com/dovocase.html

[sheepish]I have both. :o [/sheepish]

The Dovo case you linked fits the Futur perfectly. The other one is being used as a bathroom 'stowaway'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Amalgam wrote: »
    I ordered on the 5th. The order arrived just this morning. 10th.

Mine was ordered Friday morning (4th) and still no sign!!! :(
    I really wanna get my hands on the Merkur!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I've been using Yellow Gillette 7 o'clocks for a while and I find them very good. Was in a hurry a couple of weeks back, knew the blade had been used a good few times, so grabbed a Merkur Platinum (last one or them) and stuck it into the Slim. Cut myself to ribbons. Remembered why I stopped using them. Tried it again a day or two later, thinking my rushing had caused to massacre. Nope. Never buying them again.
    Still loving the Palmolive stick. 59c and I've had about 4 months shaving out of it. Gave the Vulfix Sicilian Limes a go the other day as I hadn't used it in ages. Incredible lather with only a slight swirl. Love the smell too. Nearly out so I'll tack it on to the next order. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Mine was ordered Friday morning (4th) and still no sign!!! :(
    I really wanna get my hands on the Merkur!!!

My last order with them took 10 days to arrive. Patience.

MediaTank, I think you mentioned a shaving soap having a 'sweet spot' after a few days. The lather seems a bit richer now, after about a week, using a Williams soap. Much nicer than at the start, it was like trying to get lather from a stone then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've found the hard soaps (MWF, Tabac, Provence Sante, TOBs)
    are much better after a week of use. The outer layer changes with use. I've seen
    on a couple of fora some people will add a shot-glass amount of water
    to their soap and dish and leave it over night at the start to speed up
    the break-in process. The softer Italian soaps don't need a break in.

I had a cracking shave last night; Fatboy, new Shark blade, MWF and Musgo Real.
    Nice close shave and skin feels great from the lanolin.
    I even skipped using a balm!

Those Sharks are worth a punt, cheap as chips and as good as
    the Personna blades if not better.

• Advertisement

MediaTank, I think you mentioned a shaving soap having a 'sweet spot' after a few days. The lather seems a bit richer now, after about a week, using a Williams soap. Much nicer than at the start, it was like trying to get lather from a stone then.

I may well have :D As Gran Hermano says they do soften up with use, but I still prefer cream and just use soap for super lather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I had a cracking shave last night; Fatboy, new Shark blade, MWF and Musgo Real.
    Nice close shave and skin feels great from the lanolin.
    I even skipped using a balm!

Yea - shaved yesterday morning with MWF,haven't used it for a few weeks,it really leaves the skin great.I know this has been done to death on shave forums,but there really is a narrow window for getting MWF right.Most of the time it works for me but there have been times when I just rinsed it away and reached for something else.

Seven Worlds will Collide

MediaTank wrote: »
    My last order with them took 10 days to arrive. Patience.

Just got a text, my stuff just arrived, so no more whinging outta me! ;)
    Was just itching to start DE shaving with a proper razor rather than that WS classic... thing! :)

Just got a text, my stuff just arrived, so no more whinging outta me! ;)
    Was just itching to start DE shaving with a proper razor rather than that WS classic... thing! :)

Perfect timing, will give you the weekend to take your time with it.

Happy shaving!

I'm guessing it'll take a bit of getting used to with the weight difference, as the W/S classic weighs about the same as some of the multi-blade razors. Guess I just gotta remember not to apply any pressure at all, let the head do the work!

(At least I'll have the styptic pencil just in case ;))

I'm guessing it'll take a bit of getting used to with the weight difference, as the W/S classic weighs about the same as some of the multi-blade razors. Guess I just gotta remember not to apply any pressure at all, let the head do the work!

(At least I'll have the styptic pencil just in case ;))

You'll find it easier to shave with the new heavier razor, now that you are used to a DE - no need for the styptic. :D

Damo's Wilkinson feels odd on the skin, the ridged plastic, ugh.. I used it years ago, on a safety razor try out, I didn't 'see the light' then. I'm not surprised, considering the razor I was using.

MediaTank wrote: »
    You'll find it easier to shave with the new heavier razor, now that you are used to a DE - no need for the styptic. :D
    Here's hoping! :D
    Damo's Wilkinson feels odd on the skin, the ridged plastic, ugh.. I used it years ago, on a safety razor try out, I didn't 'see the light' then. I'm not surprised, considering the razor I was using.
    Well it still shaves better than the cartridge razors, so I've been putting up with it for a while! But now I go forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards a really nice shave...

Got to try out my 34C HD last night, and used one of the Derby Extra blades.

Holy moly, the difference from the W/S (from here on referred to as "that plasticy sh!te...") was unbelievable! The razor really does all the work, all you have to do is steer it! Don't think I've ever has as smooth a shave (3 pass) as with the new razor!

Here's my order, the 34C HD, the 30 blades (10 Israeli, 10 Derby, 10 Feather) and the 30 free blades (Also Israeli) and my styptic pencil.
    16398542775525988473.jpg

And a nice closer pic of the razor itself:
    22475005782805484975.jpg

Holy moly, the difference from the W/S (from here on referred to as "that plasticy sh!te...") was unbelievable! The razor really does all the work, all you have to do is steer it! Don't think I've ever has as smooth a shave (3 pass) as with the new razor!

Sweet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just curious Damo, that handle looks short, I've been considering investing in on but figured on the longer handle (I'm assuming you get more control), how do you find the short handle to use?

Gillo, it is short. 75mm. 7.5cm. Measure it out on a ruler and see how it fits you. Just the handle. That measurement excludes the razor head.

The likes of the Parker 91R, that has a 10cm handle. Then you have the long handled Merkur Razors, they have a 10cm handle.

Gillo wrote: »
    Just curious Damo, that handle looks short, I've been considering investing in on but figured on the longer handle (I'm assuming you get more control), how do you find the short handle to use?

Yeah it is quite short, but you only hold it lightly near the bottom of the shaft with your fingertips really, so I found it was fine to be honest!
    A lot of the Merkurs come in long handled versions now too, like the Progress.
    I think the shorter handle gives it a nice balance to be honest, not sure how they'd maintain that balance with the longer handled versions.

I see one of us cleanly-shaven mob picked up a nice B&B limited edition brush on the B/S/T.

Share some pics and reviews when you get it ;)

I see one of us cleanly-shaven mob picked up a nice B&B limited edition brush on the B/S/T.

Share some pics and reviews when you get it ;)

chbbe.jpg

Very nice price. Knocks anything available in a shop over here.. (that's not hard to do)

Total mare of a day in the office so need some new razors to cheer myself up. Am just about to order some vintage Gillettes, am torn between an open comb New and a Tech. I've a feeling I'll be ordering both!

Anyone use either the open comb New or fat handled Tech? Just wondering how they compare to others on the 'aggressive scale'.

Stumbled across this lot: http://www.ikonrazors.com/

Makers of the Bulldog handle - 3inch - 60g (Merkur 3 piece compatible)

bulldoga.jpg

Check out their shop: http://ikonrazors.com/shopping/

Very nice. Like a fat Tech on steroids.

I have some Super Platinum Personna Israeli blades to give away. The blades drag a fair bit for me, but might suit someone else, when it comes to blades, it is very much a case of YMMV.

I've given enough gels and blades etc to various uncles, I thought I'd send a few out into the ether.

I bought them at Connaught Shaving all those months back, just when I was starting to use a DE.

Just make a request after this post, I have four lots of five to send out. (4x5)

One lot per member, just a small test pack, you might like them, you might not..

Blades sent out in folded over card, within an envelope.

superplatinumisraeli.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

I have some Super Platinum Personna Israeli blades to give away. the blades drag a fair bit for me, but might suit someone else, when it comes to blades, it is very much a case of YMMV.

I've given enough gels and blades etc to various uncles, I thought I'd send a few out into the ether.

I bought them at Connaught Shaving all those months back, just when I was starting to use a DE.

Just make a request after this post, I have four lots of five to send out. (4x5)

One lot per member, just a small test pack, you might like them, you might not..

Blades sent out in folded over card, within an envelope.

superplatinumisraeli.jpg

Id love some blades

• Advertisement

Fine vengeance52, drop me a PM with a postal address of some sort. I'll send them out tomorrow.

3x5 left.

Advertisement