Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

See if you can get your hands on a vintage Gillette New from the 1930s, it's a great open comb and I can see why they come highly recommended on Badger and Blade. Safetyrazors.co.uk often has them in stock.

If you are liking the long handled Merkurs and looking for a slant and open comb check the long handled barber pole slant 39c and the matching open comb 12c. I like mine so much I'll be completing the trinity with the 38c.

The Gillette New is not too aggressive but the 39c is a beast!

The long handled Progress is a great choice and one of my favourites.

I took your advice and got me a 1930's Gillette New Windsor from safetyrazors.co.uk They only had the one. Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated, I'll have to wait and see how I go with it Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OldnCranky wrote: »
    I took your advice and got me a 1930's Gillette New Windsor from safetyrazors.co.uk They only had the one. Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated, I'll have to wait and see how I go with it Thanks again!

Nice choice and you've saved me GBP50 as if that Windsor was still there
    at the end of the month I'd probably have given in and bought it!

I picked up two razors from there last month and am very happy with them.
    Let us know how you get on with the new razor when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just ordered a Merkur 11C from Shaving.ie

Been itching to try open comb for a while although I consider myself a dyed-in-the-wool Super Speed man...I'm awaiting a TV Special SS I got on the 'bay from Mr Razor

Seven Worlds will Collide

I may have saved you GBP50 but it cost me GBP50 and some very scary looks from my other half, I don't think she can understand me needing (wanting?) more than one razor!! I gone from someone who used to save once a week (maybe) to some one who wants to shave at least twice a day!!

I'll let you know how I get on with it when it arrives

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OldnCranky wrote: »
    I may have saved you GBP50 but it cost me GBP50 and some very scary looks from my other half, I don't think she can understand me needing (wanting?) more than one razor!!

haha I know the feeling, I got some awful looks from the mrs a few weeks back when she learned my shaving brush was actually badger hair...she wasn't at all impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just ordered a Merkur 11C from Shaving.ie

Been itching to try open comb for a while although I consider myself a dyed-in-the-wool Super Speed man...I'm awaiting a TV Special SS I got on the 'bay from Mr Razor

I think you might be in for a surprise moving from a SS to an open comb.
    Have you seen the Senator TTO open comb, it's the SS of the open combs and pretty rare. safetyrazors.co.uk had one on the site this week
    and I was tempted to get it but reports are they are a rather mild shaver
    - similar to the SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

..and if there's stripes of shaving cream after your stroke, your angle is wrong.. ;)

I enjoy my Merkur 11C on the cheeks and lower neck, but have found the open comb a bit rough in feeling, around the chin.

I see safetyrazors.co.uk are closed until the 29th of October for holidays so I'm not sure I'll have the razor before the end of the month:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Amalgam wrote: »
    ..and if there's stripes of shaving cream after your stroke, your angle is wrong.. ;)

Can you expand on this a bit please Amalgam.

I enjoy my Merkur 11C on the cheeks and lower neck, but have found the open comb a bit rough in feeling, around the chin.

And what's the difference between open comb razors and other DE safety razors?

Is the Merkur Progress an open comb razor?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

And what's the difference between open comb razors and other DE safety razors?

Is the Merkur Progress an open comb razor?

The Merkur Progress is not open comb. From the problems you outlined before I dont think an open comb would be suitable for you as they are more aggressive. An open comb basically exposes more blade and can be better for thick beards but it may be too harsh for some.

• Advertisement

Well, the blade should clear everything, if your angle, the angle of the razor head relative to your skin is too shallow, you will not be making proper shaving contact and the blade will fail to remove shaving cream, the comb will run through the cream and leave 'stripes' behind as you shave.

Psychologically, it is easier to shave with a closed comb razor, the bar rests against your skin, whereas with an open comb, the blade just sits there.. above the comb and your natural inclination is to try and avoid or lessen risk, with the result that you might not make sufficient contact to get a good shave.

---

Astra Superior (Platinum) blade. Mühle R106 Head. Fat Tech handle. Speick shaving cream. 2x and chin. Wilkinson Best Badger budget brush.

Both the Astra and Gillette Black feel the same, smooth blades that just do what they're made to do, without being noticed, for the wrong reasons. Any doubts about the blade and tightness afterwards, I would put down to the Speick, which can be thin, compared to other creams. You tend to have to use a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

How many of you do an ATG pass? I tried one today for the first time, now wish I hadn't. I have the smoothest face I have ever had, but as soon as I used the alum block, I knew I had major irritation - alum can really sting. I'm still smooth this evening, but a bit red and bumpy. Usually at this time of day I am in need of another shave. Using a HD 34c, astra superior platinum, semogue 2000 and TOBS avocado.

I can get consistently good, irritation free shaves doing just WTG and XTG, so my technique is improving. But they are not BBS. Maybe I have got ahead of myself.

Depends where.. on the cheeks and close to the mouth, under the sideburns, but ATG on the neck is suicide for me.

I stopped using the Alum a while back, like salting a fillet.. I found it counter-productive, much easier to just spot dab a styptic pencil here and there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Depends where.. on the cheeks and close to the mouth, under the sideburns, but ATG on the neck is suicide for me.

I stopped using the Alum a while back, like salting a fillet.. I found it counter-productive, much easier to just spot dab a styptic pencil here and there.

I've calmed down using alum as well I used to use it on all my face and neck and always found my neck very red afterwards.

Now I just use it on any cuts I may have (which isn't often) and then aftershave balm the rest and things seem much better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

12bore wrote: »
    I can get consistently good, irritation free shaves doing just WTG and XTG, so my technique is improving. But they are not BBS. Maybe I have got ahead of myself.

Then just stick to WTG and ATG. BBS is a nice to have, but not a necessity IMHO.

MT

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    The Merkur Progress is not open comb. From the problems you outlined before I dont think an open comb would be suitable for you as they are more aggressive. An open comb basically exposes more blade and can be better for thick beards but it may be too harsh for some.

Yip, you'd need to perfect your technique before trying an open comb or slant bar.

Wow really fast delivery! It arrived yesterday, I collected it from the post office this morning and I'll be shaving with it tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pokerpro

Gentlemen, i am considering joining the DE Razor Club,
    This is my initial choice - would be great to get some feedback on this from the experts:

Vulfix 403 'Mayfair' Pure Bristle Shaving
    Proraso Shaving Cream 150ml
    Merkur Super Platinum Double Edge Blades
    Merkur Futur Chrome Safety Razor

Is this a good combo?

Pokerpro wrote: »
    This is my initial choice - would be great to get some feedback on this from the experts:

Vulfix 403 'Mayfair' Pure Bristle Shaving
    Proraso Shaving Cream 150ml

Is this a good combo?

Personally, I would choose different razor blades. You'd be happy with Green or Black Gillettes. The Futur, for some, can be an acquired taste, it is a heavy razor. Make sure you're happy with the chrome handle.

Proraso is very 'menthol' in feeling, on the skin, something you might not appreciate in the colder months. Otherwise, it's a fine cream.

Is this a good combo?

Pretty good, but I would go for a Merkur Progress rather than the Futur. The Futur is not a first razor for a newcomer to DE shaving. Remember to start on the lowest setting (i.e. 1) when learning to use the razor. The Merkur blades are fine, and a good baseline, but I would suggest getting a sampler pack from Connaught or Shaving.ie to see which one(s) work for you.

MT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pokerpro

Thanks lads,
    So change the Futur for a Progress and pick up a sampler pack of blades to see what suits best. Cant wait to order it all now -goodbye razor burn and ingrown hairs!

Thanks lads,
    So change the Futur for a Progress and pick up a sampler pack of blades to see what suits best. Cant wait to order it all now -goodbye razor burn and ingrown hairs!

Yep spot on, I def wouldn't just buy the Merkur Super Platinum Double Edge Blades...sample pack is way to go for a newbie as each blade is different for people so best to try a mix first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thanks lads,

I changed from the Progress to the Futur, the Progress was good but I think the Futur is even better, the blade sits dead centered in the Futur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Hey,

Ive been using two shaving creams. One is an italian Omega3 brand, and the other is palmolive classic.

The omega3 leave less irriatation, but its harder to get a good lather, and the shave is not as good.

the Palmolive lathers ok, but I get razor burn afterwards.

What would be ideal for someone with slightly sensitive skin.

Im looking at
    Proraso
    http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasosoap.html

P160
    http://connaughtshaving.com/p160.html

Mitchells Wool Fat
    http://connaughtshaving.com/mitchellsbowl.html

Would any of these suit sensitive skin, or any other suggestions. These are 3 i have picked from the last 30pages or so.

Also, im using Nivia Aftershave Balm, what would be a better alternative, as I dont think its up to the job.

Cheers all, oh and Im still loving my Merkur Progress and have converted 2 other people so far to Safety Razors. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

There you go, thats all you need, get the 1kg block it'll last you a long time. I order the Mitchells Wool Fat and the P160, had been using Mitchells Wool Fat for the last year, after using the P160 I haven't even looked at the Mitchells Wool Fat.

vengeance52, if your skin is that sensitive, consider not using the Nivea balm and going towards something even more basic, along the lines of: witch hazel.

Here's a link to the actual product your local Irish pharmacy is likely to sell to you: http://www.ricesteele.com/products/pharmacy_brand_products.678.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

thinking of getting this:

http://www.timothyedwards.co.uk/Brand/Merkur/Merkur-HD-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor/p-70-88-152/

and just a pack of blades by the same manufacturer. or would anyone recommend something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hey guys,

Just read the first and last three pages of the thread. Have to admit I didn't exactly follow it all but I think it's an interesting idea.

Do any of you have what's essentially a starter pack that you'd recommend to someone new to it all? I currently use a Gillette Fusion but I hate paying the extortionate prices for their "6 million blades ensuring the closest shave possible". And the way you talk about it, it seems like this makes shaving a bit of fun rather than a necessity, the novelty having worn off six months after you had enough facial hair to need to shave. :D

Thanks,
    NKay.

Hey,

Ive been using two shaving creams. One is an italian Omega3 brand, and the other is palmolive classic.

The omega3 leave less irriatation, but its harder to get a good lather, and the shave is not as good.

the Palmolive lathers ok, but I get razor burn afterwards.

What would be ideal for someone with slightly sensitive skin.

Im looking at
    Proraso
    http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasosoap.html

P160
    http://connaughtshaving.com/p160.html

Mitchells Wool Fat
    http://connaughtshaving.com/mitchellsbowl.html

Would any of these suit sensitive skin, or any other suggestions. These are 3 i have picked from the last 30pages or so.

Also, im using Nivia Aftershave Balm, what would be a better alternative, as I dont think its up to the job.

Cheers all, oh and Im still loving my Merkur Progress and have converted 2 other people so far to Safety Razors. :D

The white version of Proraso is developed for sensitive skin which may help. http://www.connaughtshaving.com/prorasowhite.html

I have to try some P160 very soon as I'm actually liking an almond cream at the moment.

• Advertisement

thinking of getting this:

http://www.timothyedwards.co.uk/Brand/Merkur/Merkur-HD-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor/p-70-88-152/

and just a pack of blades by the same manufacturer. or would anyone recommend something different?
    Your probably better off getting a variety of blades to see what suits you better. Merkur blades are fine but very middle of the road.

Advertisement