Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

thinking of getting this:

http://www.timothyedwards.co.uk/Brand/Merkur/Merkur-HD-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor/p-70-88-152/

and just a pack of blades by the same manufacturer. or would anyone recommend something different?

I'd go for the Progress rather than the HD, and as others have said a blade sampler pack from Connaught or Shaving.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

What would be ideal for someone with slightly sensitive skin.

Im looking at
    Proraso
    http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasosoap.html

P160
    http://connaughtshaving.com/p160.html

Mitchells Wool Fat
    http://connaughtshaving.com/mitchellsbowl.html

Would any of these suit sensitive skin, or any other suggestions. These are 3 i have picked from the last 30pages or so.

Also, im using Nivia Aftershave Balm, what would be a better alternative, as I dont think its up to the job.

Try one of the English creams from Trumper or Taylor, I'd recommend Taylor's Avocado for sensitive skin. Trumpers Skin Food is also very good rather than Nivea.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

Nice choice and you've saved me GBP50 as if that Windsor was still there
    at the end of the month I'd probably have given in and bought it!

I picked up two razors from there last month and am very happy with them.
    Let us know how you get on with the new razor when it arrives.

Well I tried it last night and it gave me a very good close shave, I have to say I am very very pleased with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

@ Old'n'Cranky
    Glad to see safetyrazors.co.uk got the parcel shipped before he went on
    his hols.

After using the long-handled Progress over the last few days I switched
    back to a Gillette New last night myself using an Astra Keramik blade.

I got a much better shave using the New with a sharper blade - previously
    I'd used Crystals and Red Personnas. The sharper blade made a big
    difference and I get a great shave using it with Semogue 730HD, Proraso
    and MWF and I can see why the New gets great reviews. It does a great
    job in removing stubble in less passes than any safety bar razor I've used
    without the aggressive risk of the slants. I think the Gillette New with a
    sharp blade is the right mix of closeness/aggressive for me compared to
    the other open combs I've tried.

@ nkay1985
    Have a look here to see what you need to get started:
    http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_STA-CRE-NOR/268168/Starter-Kit---Cream
    Check the other suppliers you'll see mentioned around here for pricing/alternatives.
    I'd recommend a Progress or HD razor to start along with a blade sample pack.

@vengeance52
    The Omega shaving soap is pretty much the same as the Proraso Green soap.
    Try adjusting the water/cream ratio as Proraso and Omega are pretty easy to lather.
    I really like the MWF soap but it can be tricky to lather, especially if you have hard water.
    The P160 soap is great and
    easily one of the best I've tried. It produces loads of good lather easily
    and provides plenty of cushion and protection. The Proraso White soap
    (aloe + tea) is also another good product and I prefer it to the Proraso
    Green soap, I find it better for sensitive skin. Go for the P160 to start ;)
    Which Nivea balm are you using, I find the white bottle sensitive balm better.
    The Proraso, La Toja, Speick and Musgo balms are all good.
    Have you tried a lather using a small amount of both the Palmolive and
    Proraso?

@ Pokerpro
    Futur Vs Progress to start out with, I had the same question myself
    and went for the Futur - against the advice of the chaps on here.
    Long story short, I ended up buying the Futur and a month later the
    Progress. The Progress is much better to start out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I have to try some P160 very soon as I'm actually liking an almond cream at the moment.

.get the 1Kg..and maybe divide it into 100g samples and sell it in your store :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

The white version of Proraso is developed for sensitive skin which may help. http://www.connaughtshaving.com/prorasowhite.html

I have to try some P160 very soon as I'm actually liking an almond cream at the moment.

I may get that and the P160.

Cheers all for the info :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got my shaving stuff today, very happy with it..

Really nice menthol smell from the Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream, not used anything yet but def looking forward to trying it and I'm also curious how the Speick After Shave Lotion with Witch Hazel will help after shaving.

IMG_2469pan.jpg

IMG_2470pan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Spudzz

Cabaal wrote: »
    Got my shaving stuff today, very happy with it..

Really nice menthol smell from the Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream, not used anything yet but def looking forward to trying it and I'm also curious how the Speick After Shave Lotion with Witch Hazel will help after shaving.

IMG_2469pan.jpg

IMG_2470pan.jpg
    Well done,Enjoy !!!!!!:D

.get the 1Kg..and maybe divide it into 100g samples and sell it in your store :)

+1 I'd be interested in both types of P160 and I believe Cella comes in the kilo block as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Received my Futur razor along with sample blade pack and omega brush/proraso shave soap.

Normally I'd shower before shaving to soften up my really thick stubble. Today I just washed the face with some softening hair conditioner and rinsed. I then lathered up and put a hot towel on my face for 3 minutes. Rinsed all that off and then re-lathered.

Started off very slowly shaving with a Derby blade as it's usually recommended as a starter blade. Just went for a with the grain shave and found it rather enjoyable. Messed up the angle on my right jawline as the contour of my face changed so ended up nicking myself slightly, it stopped bleeding once I rinsed my face finally and applied some moisturiser. Everywhere else shaved pretty well, I even went against the grain between the chin and the adam's apple.

Overall impression was very good. I don't think I'll go back to a cartridge, the big test will be tomorrow morning when I attempt to clean less than 24hours after my last one! I think once I get the hang of this it'll become very enjoyable. Maintaining the angle of the blade was probably the most difficult thing for me, once I get the hang of it I should be okay hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Received my Futur razor along with sample blade pack and omega brush/proraso shave soap.

Normally I'd shower before shaving to soften up my really thick stubble. Today I just washed the face with some softening hair conditioner and rinsed. I then lathered up and put a hot towel on my face for 3 minutes. Rinsed all that off and then re-lathered.

Started off very slowly shaving with a Derby blade as it's usually recommended as a starter blade. Just went for a with the grain shave and found it rather enjoyable. Messed up the angle on my right jawline as the contour of my face changed so ended up nicking myself slightly, it stopped bleeding once I rinsed my face finally and applied some moisturiser. Everywhere else shaved pretty well, I even went against the grain between the chin and the adam's apple.

Overall impression was very good. I don't think I'll go back to a cartridge, the big test will be tomorrow morning when I attempt to clean less than 24hours after my last one! I think once I get the hang of this it'll become very enjoyable. Maintaining the angle of the blade was probably the most difficult thing for me, once I get the hang of it I should be okay hopefully.

I will strongly urge anyone using a Safety Razor for the first time, to check out some of these vids..... Mantic is a legend :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Cheers for that, yeah I've checked out his videos. He makes it look easy! I reckon another couple of shaves and I'll be a lot more comfortable at shaving, not sure if i explained it right but it's basically just along the jaw line and slightly underneath that was the most difficult part!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cabaal, cheers for the Parker packaging photos, that razor looks like great value for the price.

Any chance of a picture of it taken apart? ..just so I can see what kind of screw set up they have for the razor head, long or short.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amalgam wrote: »
    Cabaal, cheers for the Parker packaging photos, that razor looks like great value for the price.

Any chance of a picture of it taken apart? ..just so I can see what kind of screw set up they have for the razor head, long or short.

No problem, its always nice to know if as razor comes in nice packaging...the box has abit of room inside which is good for traveling (fit a pack or two of blades)

Here's a shot of it taken apart...

IMG_2474pan.jpg

Excellent, thank you, same screw as the Mühle, I reckon.

So tested out some of the new stuff this morning,

Started off with Proraso Glycerin Face Soap while showering
    Then Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream, the menthal smell of it will def wake you up in the morning

Lathered up some Shaving Cream which was Founders Reserve from St James Of London - Cedarwood & Clarysage
    Used Progress with a derby blade and finished off with Speick After Shave Lotion with Witch Hazel

I honestly have to say it has to be one of the closest shaves I've had in awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Cabaal wrote: »
    I honestly have to say it has to be one of the closest shaves I've had in awhile.

What would you put that down to, the new safety razor or the soaps/creams?

DonJose wrote: »
    What would you put that down to, the new safety razor or the soaps/creams?

def the soap & creams as I've been using a progress since January....although I got a parker I didn't use it this morning.

+1 I'd be interested in both types of P160 and I believe Cella comes in the kilo block as well.

Yeah, I'd be interested in that as well, but what is the difference between the 2 P160s?

OldnCranky wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be interested in that as well, but what is the difference between the 2 P160s?

I've only used the softer one, not sure if there's any major difference
    apart from one being firmer than the other. http://www.connaughtshaving.com/shavingsoap.html

I'm curious to try both before I order a kilo of one.

Cabal, nice looking razor that Parker. The simplicity of the old 3
    piece design has grown on me lately since I've started using the old Gillettes.
    Parker sure beat Merkur on the packaging side!

I'd another great shave last night with a Gillette New open comb,
    Astra Keramik, Valobra soap, TOBS sensitive and Speick ASB.
    I much prefer the New with a sharp blade and it's not aggressive at all.
    What I needed after I hamburgered my face whilst hungover one day last
    week with the more aggressive Merkur open comb.

• Advertisement

I've only used the softer one, not sure if there's any major difference
    apart from one being firmer than the other. http://www.connaughtshaving.com/shavingsoap.html

I'm curious to try both before I order a kilo of one.

Morbido = Soft
    Duro= Hard

I used Babel fish to translate, I think you're right about that being the only difference

OldnCranky wrote: »
    Morbido = Soft
    Duro= Hard

I used Babel fish to translate, I think you're right about that being the only difference

From what I can see online, I think it's more a case of soft and 'softer'
    with neither what we'd class as a hard soap.

From what I can see online, I think it's more a case of soft and 'softer'
    with neither what we'd class as a hard soap.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I got a few slabs of the Tipo Morbido today. Smells like Christmas cake:)

Interesting stuff. I was expecting it to be soft but Im surprised just how soft it is, it can easily be placed and shaped into a bowl. Looking forward to giving it a go over the weekend. I would imagine 1000g's could last around 3 years!

I got a few slabs of the Tipo Morbido today. Smells like Christmas cake:)

Interesting stuff. I was expecting it to be soft but Im surprised just how soft it is, it can easily be placed and shaped into a bowl. Looking forward to giving it a go over the weekend. I would imagine 1000g's could last around 3 years!

I bought a kilo of Cella and P160, the missus loves the smell so I gave her a slab to shower with, normal soap used to make her skin itch, but not the Cella or P160. I reckon my soap will last less than a year :D

I wouldn't mind Cella or P160, just worried about storage once opened..

Amalgam wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind Cella or P160, just worried about storage once opened..

They are both wrapped in a plastic sheet, you just need to refold the plastic sheet after opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads, what are you using for your used blades?

tinner777 wrote: »
    I picked up a metal money-box shaped like an over sized tin can. Convenient slot already there and safely holds the used blades. Check your newsagents or pound shops.

• Advertisement

tinner777 wrote: »

I slip mine back into the containers they come in, although I do have a sharps container and I never thought of putting them in that until just now....:o:o

Advertisement