Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

OldnCranky wrote: »
    I slip mine back into the containers they come in, although I do have a sharps container and I never thought of putting them in that until just now....:o:o

bloody hell, how did i not think of that :o:o Only been a nurse for 12 years and using sharp bins every day:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

tinner777 wrote: »
    bloody hell, how did i not think of that :o:o Only been a nurse for 12 years and using sharp bins every day:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yep, sometimes we can't see what's right in front of us....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mantic59

tinner777 wrote: »
    lads, what are you using for your used blades?

(I prefer a coin bank myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

mantic59 wrote: »
    (I prefer a coin bank myself)
    I just use the space provided at the back of the feather packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

axer wrote: »
    I just use the space provided at the back of the feather packs.

Yeah I use that myself as well, I think all the DE blade containers have that facility

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OldnCranky wrote: »
    Yeah I use that myself as well, I think all the DE blade containers have that facility

Pretty much all of them do alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

.get the 1Kg..and maybe divide it into 100g samples and sell it in your store :)

Ah Fair Play Chris - you did it :D

Suppose I may try some so :)

(Is there any beard fertiliser, it'll will have to grow quicker to get to all the different stuff I have :D)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah Fair Play Chris - you did it :D

Suppose I may try some so :)

(Is there any beard fertiliser, it'll will have to grow quicker to get to all the different stuff I have :D)

haha I know the feeling, also I find I get a much better shave if it has about a day and a half growth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Safety razors rule!! Quick question, does anybody else find the stubble grows back differently? mine use to be quite sore growing back, now it's rather sexy so Ive been told!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Yes.. and the cut is different too, the tips of the hair are far more solid. Pressing down also gives the impression of sturdier stubble. The big thing for me is no more areas of ingrown hairs and hive like bumps.

---

Anywhere in Dublin stock yellow or black Gillette? What's the best value you've seen for a bulk purchase of black Gillette?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Ok, I've tried using the Wilkinson's saftey razor available in Boots, it's a bog standard plastic and comes with a set of Wilkinsons blades, I've decieded to invest in a decent razor any suggestions, I was looking at the Progress but noticed Knights are selling the 34C for 40 euro. Is the open comb trickier to use?

Also whats a good (forgiving) starter blades to go with?

Currently using Proasso creams and a Baxter Brush, it's possibly not the best of brushs but it's handy since it spends a lot of time travelling

Gillo wrote: »
    Knights are selling the 34C for 40 euro.

That's a tad pricey, to be honest. Chris has the Merkur 1904 at 17.99 at the moment.

Nice brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Gillo wrote: »
    Ok, I've tried using the Wilkinson's saftey razor available in Boots, it's a bog standard plastic and comes with a set of Wilkinsons blades, I've decieded to invest in a decent razor any suggestions, I was looking at the Progress but noticed Knights are selling the 34C for 40 euro. Is the open comb trickier to use?

Also whats a good (forgiving) starter blades to go with?

I always recommend the Merkur Progress as _the_ razor to start with (you may never need another BTW), and get a sample blade pack from either Connaught or Shaving.ie

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

MediaTank wrote: »
    I always recommend the Merkur Progress as _the_ razor to start with (you may never need another BTW), and get a sample blade pack from either Connaught or Shaving.ie

MT

Totally agree... I have the progress and im loving it. I think our beardless brother across the water Mantic has mentioned he generally uses the Progress too in one of his Vids.

What you need to find is the right shave cream/soap and the blades that suit you one you have a decent razor.

My only complaint about the progress is the short handle so for anyone with big hands I'd strongly suggest the long handled version....I'm seriously considering it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Cabaal wrote: »
    My only complaint about the progress is the short handle so for anyone with big hands I'd strongly suggest the long handled version....I'm seriously considering it

How short is short?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    How short is short?

Ive large enough hands and I have no issue with it.

progress.th.jpg

... I have the progress and im loving it. I think our beardless brother across the water Mantic has mentioned he generally uses the Progress too in one of his Vids...
    Yes! You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. :D
    Cabaal wrote:
    My only complaint about the progress is the short handle so for anyone with big hands I'd strongly suggest the long handled version....
    I've modified my grip slightly and now I don't have a problem with it:

Can I disagree about the Progress being the ideal starter? I would think there might be a benefit to a 'set level' non adjustable safety razor. The price of the Merkur 1904 or Parker R91, for instance, are nearly a third to a half of The Progress, the razor handles have more grip.. and there's less to worry about overall. The Progress can be quirky, let's not make out it is perfect.

[sheepishly]Sorry..[/sheepishly]

Amalgam wrote: »
    Can I disagree about the Progress being the ideal starter? I would think there might be a benefit to a 'set level' non adjustable safety razor. The price of the Merkur 1904 or Parker R91, for instance, are nearly a third to a half of The Progress, the razor handles have more grip.. and there's less to worry about overall. The Progress can be quirky, let's not make out it is perfect.

[sheepishly]Sorry..[/sheepishly]

LOL, you make a good point, one school of thought says use the KISS principle while another says you should be able to adjust the blade. IMHO, the latter is preferable as a fixed head razor just may not do it for some. Start at setting 1, if that works don't change it, if it doesn't try 2 and so on. I have not found that a different blade makes that much difference when you are setting the razor adjustment.

• Advertisement

mantic59 wrote: »
    Yes! You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. :D

I've modified my grip slightly and now I don't have a problem with it:

Mark, so you don't see a need for the long handled model?

MediaTank wrote: »
    Mark, so you don't see a need for the long handled model?
    No, not for myself anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/iKon-Merkur-Progress--Razor-Custom-Made--Knob-Shaving-_W0QQitemZ160372487872QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20091026?IMSfp=TL091026194006r21509

iKon Razors (B&B member Pureslab) makes some nice rugged handles and ends, one of which is for the Progress. (see link above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have been randomly hitting pages on this thread since I clicked Amalgams link today.

Interesting reading. Haven't been shaving for a while due to laziness, I normally just give it a 0 blade once a week.

Toying with the idea of a safety razor. The Merkur 34c HD has caught my eye.

Suggestions for a blade for a beginner (with a link for the lazy :P ) would be great!

Slidey wrote: »
    I have been randomly hitting pages on this thread since I clicked Amalgams link today.

Interesting reading. Haven't been shaving for a while due to laziness, I normally just give it a 0 blade once a week.

Toying with the idea of a safety razor. The Merkur 34c HD has caught my eye.

Suggestions for a blade for a beginner (with a link for the lazy :P ) would be great!

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html

get a sample pack as everyone skin type differs so its hard to judge for any one person.

Try a selection that includes, or is made up of Yellow, Green and Black Gillettes. You're bound to get at least one of those that will appeal to you. Blades even out well over the course of a shaving week.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I have to chime in with another vote for the Progress. It is the one razor I have just kept going back to. For me the adjustability makes it very dynamic and I enjoy mixing it up a little when time permits. If im in a hurry I can pop in a Feather and get a quick close shave with a mild setting. When I have a bit more time I can dial in a little more aggression use a Gillette blade and have the ultimate close shave. At the end of the day the performance between the long and short handle is the same it is just the technique than changes slightly. Although it is quite expensive as others have said it is likely you will not need anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Although it is quite expensive as others have said it is likely you will not need anything else.

Once you master the Progress, the next safety razor for any collection should be the Merkur Slant.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

DonJose wrote: »
    Once you master the Progress, the next safety razor for any collection should be the Merkur Slant.

I agree to a certain extent however for most there is no need to take that extra step. A slant may be too harsh for a number of peoples tastes.

• Advertisement

Chris, on the Barber Pole Slant, is the head in two parts? Can I transfer it to another razor handle, or is it like the HD, with the bottom part fixed to the stem?

The Merkur razors use a standard Gillette thread.

Advertisement