Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Amalgam wrote: »
    Chris, on the Barber Pole Slant, is the head in two parts? Can I transfer it to another razor handle, or is it like the HD, with the bottom part fixed to the stem?

The Merkur razors use a standard Gillette thread.

The bottom part is fixed to the handle on the 39c and just the top half of the head comes off. Here is a pic.

39c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads, have to tell you that i'm getting a great shave from this

merkur_11c_open_comb_de_razor__71780_thumb.jpg

Really close shave with two passes and no burn, happy days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Double Post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Tried the Gillette 7 O'Clock today for graduation. A bit risky I thought but it was brilliant. Really nice close shave, getting the hang of using the safety razor now. I still find it quite difficult to maintain an angle on the chin area and just beneath the contours. I'm having to do a double pass each direction which is not a good idea I take it?

Is there such a thing as a Masters in Manliness?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I'm having to do a double pass each direction which is not a good idea I take it?

Perfectly OK with a safety razor, not so with a multiblade cartridge razor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm having to do a double pass each direction which is not a good idea I take it?

Multipass with a safety razor is just fine, I normally do two passes each morning which gives me a very close shave

Sometimes I'll do three passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

tried out my merkur progress and badger shaving brush today for the first time. fantastic stuff, and the sound is very satisfying!

thanks for putting me on the right path!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Tried the Gillette 7 O'Clock today for graduation. A bit risky I thought but it was brilliant. Really nice close shave, getting the hang of using the safety razor now. I still find it quite difficult to maintain an angle on the chin area and just beneath the contours. I'm having to do a double pass each direction which is not a good idea I take it?

Is there such a thing as a Masters in Manliness?:D

lightning, have you looked at the youtube vids? sorry i'm too lazy to find the links but they are near the front of the thread, they should be compulsory viewing, i think the geezer is a member here now as well, top guy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yep thats him he's also a user on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Slidey wrote: »
    I have been randomly hitting pages on this thread since I clicked Amalgams link today.

Interesting reading. Haven't been shaving for a while due to laziness, I normally just give it a 0 blade once a week.

Toying with the idea of a safety razor. The Merkur 34c HD has caught my eye.

Suggestions for a blade for a beginner (with a link for the lazy :P ) would be great!

So long story short I got to thinking and I called to my Gran.

She happily gave me my late grandfathers safety razor. Being the impatient guy that I am I dropped into the chemist and picked up a tube of the palmolive shaving gear and a packet of Wilkinson Sword blades.

I did end up with a few nicks at the bottom of my neck and there was a little but of razor burn felt as well. Not sure if this was due to the cheap blades or the numpty that was using the razor!

I also got two shaving brushes. The timber handled one is quite stiff. The one on the right is nice though and it is a real change compared to using a can of foam.

Are you supposed to wash out the brush and bowl after every use?

f_grpn3kblm_8ea83ef.jpg

Are you supposed to wash out the brush and bowl after every use?
    Yes, you just rinse it out and it only takes a few moments. Some of the ingredients in soaps and creams can cause the hairs to become a little brittle over time so a quick rinse should help keep a brush in good condition for years. The brushes wil most likely soften up a bit after a few uses if you are finding them a bit stiff..

They were my Grandfathers as well so haven't been used in a long time.

I am quite taken with the one with the plastic handle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

She happily gave me my late grandfathers safety razor. .....

Thank you Slidey !!!! I've asked before around here does anyone know what the razor is matching the description I gave, it looks just like the one in your pic, what brand is it ? That's the razor I had my first shave with, how brave was I having my first shave using an DE razor and an ordinary bar of soap !

As an aside, I haven't shaved since last weekend due to me working at home due to illness so I've a nice head of hair to get rid of, I'm looking forward to shaving it all off, not because it's irritating or anything, just because I love a shave when I've alot of growth. I might get another day or two of growth as it's not like my wife is coming near me anyway as she doesn't want to catch my cooties.

I wonder if I can get as far as an Ian Humphreys, his beard suits him.

Jip wrote: »
    Thank you Slidey !!!! I've asked before around here does anyone know what the razor is matching the description I gave, it looks just like the one in your pic, what brand is it ?
    Look closley at the box :)

Ha Ha, I didn't even notice the box ! That looks like the one alright, ah nostalgia is a great thing. Oddly enough, when I heard him come I'd always hide it and pretend I was doing nothing.

Slidey, your British Slim Twist is lovely, razors in that condition sell for about $30 - $35 on B&B. My father used a cousin of it, the Gillette Knack.

The only problem is you often see Slim Twists with cracks in the handle, near the razor head, they also react badly to harsh cleaning agents, strips the handle of the finish.

they also react badly to harsh cleaning agents,

And you forgot to mention the fate the handle of my dads suffered, being chewed by a pup.

Slidey, your British Slim Twist is lovely, razors in that condition sell for about $30 - $35 on B&B. My father used a cousin of it, the Gillette Knack.

The only problem is you often see Slim Twists with cracks in the handle, near the razor head, they also react badly to harsh cleaning agents, strips the handle of the finish.

And they discolour badly even without the cleaning agents.

• Advertisement

MediaTank wrote: »
    And they discolour badly even without the cleaning agents.

I wondered about what the handle is actually made of, that glazed earthy texture look is very much like Bakelite, but surely the razor was made with more modern methods?

I wondered about what the handle is actually made of, that glazed earthy texture look is very much like Bakelite, but surely the razor was made with more modern methods?

Plastic, but it's porous and loses it colour and gloss pretty quickly.

I do like the idea of a rectangular handle on a safety razor though, it is strange that it isn't more common.

For what it's worth, I put forward a suggestion for a BST thread\forum here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055723503

I'm sure a few members have bits and pieces they think other members might appreciate buying\bartering.. and it would be nice to target the transactions between the members here.

Cycling and I think Airsoft have such an area, as far as I know.

The only problem I see is maybe someone trying to pump and dump bogey Mach 3's etc.. but that can be dealt with in a crisp and clear 'Rules of use'.

Thanks.

It has a little crack on the other side alright.

It wasn't that well cleaned before it was put away but I'll give it a little tidy at the weekend when I have more time.

=====

Would the fact that I used cheapo wilkinson sword blades have had much of an effect on the shave?

No, not really, I like those blades, nothing really wrong with them. I couldn't help notice there wasn't much mass to the lather on your brush though. You do need to larrup your stubble somewhat, with a generously 'loaded' brush.. and provide the lubrication for your razor.

How much of the paste stuff would you need to use?

I added a little water, is that right?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, its a mammoth thread for reading!

YMMV, but for me, just short of an inch of tube cream will usually do, steep your brush in hot water and work up a lather briskly, until you get some mass to it and the brush swells with a 'load' of lather. Lather on the face in a circular motion, don't be too rough, but at the same time don't be too stingy, lubricate your face thoroughly and 'raise' the stubble a bit.

To help you visualise..

Nice bloke, I asked a few questions, pity he was getting abuse and had to disable comments!

..Oh and of course the magic word, Mantic, watch Mantic59's videos on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Just to say about the video linked above, you might think the volume of cream he's using is over the top, but a normal amount of 'Tobs' (Taylor of Old Bond Street) will quickly whisk itself up to something similar to what you see in the video.

Lovely creams, I'm using Avocado and Rose at the moment.

• Advertisement

Nice bloke, I asked a few questions, pity he was getting abuse and had to disable comments!

Why the heck were they giving the chap abuse?

Advertisement