Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    Lovely creams, I'm using Avocado and Rose at the moment.

If you like those try Lavender, Eton College or Gentlemens for that old school barbershop aroma. Gentlemens is a particularily good cream along with Lavender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

MediaTank wrote: »
    If you like those try Lavender, Eton College or Gentlemens for that old school barbershop aroma. Gentlemens is a particularily good cream along with Lavender.

+1 for the lavender, nice for that before bed shave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Next on my list, once I eventually use up what I have, will be a tub of Geo F. Trumper Violet shaving cream. I love violet as a scent.. and the colour of the cream is loud, an electric violet purple.

gftviolet.jpg

The only downside is the price, a bit more expensive than Tobs, but the tub is 200g, instead of 150g.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

TK Maxx in Stephens Green had some of the Eton Soap during the week, very cheap too. It's tricky to find, they have a few stands with womens tolietries and it's behind them (right next to knickers and bra's).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Hey guys, new to this old school shaving game, I'm a Gillette Mach 3 man now:o. Remember my Dad shaving with an old safety razor when I was growing up but it was lost after he died unfortunately, so I'm looking to get a bit nostalgic and start using a safety razor, but mainly its because Mach 3 blades cost a bomb:rolleyes:. Any advice on a good razor etc for a newb to this style of shaving?:)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Blay wrote: »
    Hey guys, new to this old school shaving game, I'm a Gillette Mach 3 man now:o. Remember my Dad shaving with an old safety razor when I was growing up but it was lost after he died unfortunately, so I'm looking to get a bit nostalgic and start using a safety razor, but mainly its because Mach 3 blades cost a bomb:rolleyes:. Any advice on a good razor etc for a newb to this style of shaving?:)

Thanks

The question gets asked a lot, i suggest you look back through this thread. The usual suggestion is a Merkur Progress razor and a sample pack of blacks from shaving.ie or connaught shaving.

Morf wrote: »
    The question gets asked a lot, i suggest you look back through this thread. The usual suggestion is a Merkur Progress razor and a sample pack of blacks from shaving.ie or connaught shaving.

Maybe it's time to sticky this kind of information. Mods?

Next on my list, once I eventually use up what I have, will be a tub of Geo F. Trumper Violet shaving cream. I love violet as a scent.. and the colour of the cream is loud, an electric violet purple.

The only downside is the price, a bit more expensive than Tobs, but the tub is 200g, instead of 150g.

It's lovely stuff alright and the scent is very mild compared to others. You could always go for a tube instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Maybe it's time to sticky this kind of information. Mods?

Great idea a lot me this thread tends to repeat itself to a certain degree. On a different note does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a sample pack of creams, it'd be nice to work my way through a few different one's without spending a fortune on them all.

The ones that comes to mind..

Truefitt and Hill: (UK & International) http://truefittandhill.co.uk/viewproducts.php?selection=Sample%20Packs

Geo F. Trumper: http://www.trumpers.com/product_detail.cfm?ProductID=111547656

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mantic59

Gillo wrote: »
    ...On a different note does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a sample pack of creams, it'd be nice to work my way through a few different one's without spending a fortune on them all.
    Here's a link to Trumper's sample pack. And here's a link to Truefitt & Hill sample pack (UK version. Here is the North American version).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I became so frustrated with the DE safety razor and its inconsistent results that I decided to take a break from it for a few weeks.

I picked up a selection of disposable razors and I have started using them since the weekend as I want to test out everything in the shaving process. I want to see if the shaving creams I'm using are causing the shaving spots around my chin. I think they are because I ended up with loads of spots around my chin yesterday morning after I shaved on Friday night. I think the traditional shaving creams provide a closer shave which may be causing irritation. The funny thing is my neck was fine after the shave on Friday night.

Michael G wrote: »
    I bought my girlfriend a bottle of Tend Skin (no, she doesn't shave her face) and she says it is the dog's b******s. No more shaving rash. But are you by any chance putting pressure on your razor? It took me a while to learn not to do that with my Merkur Vision.

No, I'm not using too much pressure. If anything, perhaps the angle of the blade might be wrong, but definitely not too much pressure.

I've only used the Tend Skin about 2 or 3 times as it is quite harsh on the skin.

Johnny Utah, are you using the plastic Wilkinson, what blades were you using?

I had the same issues as yourself, but after tailoring the blade (no Feathers) and shaving method to my skin, it fixed itself.

I would also say, using a DE like a disposable, as in, your stroke is down with the razor head level to your skin, will just lead to irritated skin. It took me months, literally, to shake off that habit.

Also ..and I'm not hinting at any lack of hygiene here, if you have damp bath towels, or sharing them, think about maybe having one off to the side for your own shaving use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Gillo wrote: »
    Great idea a lot me this thread tends to repeat itself to a certain degree. On a different note does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a sample pack of creams, it'd be nice to work my way through a few different one's without spending a fortune on them all.

Gillo, don't forget the decant/samples from Connaught for trying out different products without buying a full tub.
    http://www.connaughtshaving.com/closeshaveindex.html

On another note, I noticed someone ask where to order Gillette Black 7 o'clock blades. I've ordered from Dr Idiot/Jason. You'll find him on the usual vendors' fora. http://doubleedgeshavingplace.com/
    I'm also waiting on 100 of the Gillette Super Thins (Thai) which are getting good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Got my cut off of P160 from Chris/Shaving.ie today - I almost ate it :D
    How much do I use ?

On a related note I also got a nice Blue Tip SS today....to go with my Red Tip,Black Tip,40's,50's, TV Special,60's,70s,English Flare tip Super Speeds...this aul' RAD is terrible :pac:

Seven Worlds will Collide

Got my cut off of P160 from Chris/Shaving.ie today - I almost ate it :D
    How much do I use ?

On a related note I also got a nice Blue Tip SS today....to go with my Red Tip,Black Tip,40's,50's, TV Special,60's,70s,English Flare tip Super Speeds...this aul' RAD is terrible :pac:

Nice collection of Super speeds, must be close to the full set. Luckily my razor desires are sated since my recent open comb spree. Well for the moment anyhow as I have growing interest in the vintage British Gillettes.

I use the P160 like any other shaving soap, just press it to shape a soap container/bowl and lather directly on top. I rinse the lot, bowl and soap, in cold water when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah, are you using the plastic Wilkinson, what blades were you using?

I'm taking a break from the safety razor for the moment because I was getting frustrated with it. I will return to it in a few weeks.

I have tried all the milder blades with the plastic Wilkinson safety razor, but I don't really feel or see that much difference between any of the blades tbh.

I had the same issues as yourself, but after tailoring the blade (no Feathers) and shaving method to my skin, it fixed itself.

I would also say, using a DE like a disposable, as in, your stroke is down with the razor head level to your skin, will just lead to irritated skin. It took me months, literally, to shake off that habit.

I think it could be either my technique, or else I have very sensitive skin. :(

Also ..and I'm not hinting at any lack of hygiene here, if you have damp bath towels, or sharing them, think about maybe having one off to the side for your own shaving use.

No definitely not a hygeine problem. Only use a fresh clean towel every day. And I don't share towels either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I have tried all the milder blades with the plastic Wilkinson safety razor, but I don't really feel or see that much difference between any of the blades tbh.

The problem is the plastic Wilkinson safety razor, why not buy a good quality Merker for €17.99.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-42-1904-Classic-Razor.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

DonJose wrote: »
    The problem is the plastic Wilkinson safety razor, why not buy a good quality Merker for €17.99.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-42-1904-Classic-Razor.html

I have to agree with this. During the week I use a merkur futur. I constantly get an absolutely fantastic shave -really smooth with very little or no irritation. For the last couple of weekends I have used boots own brand safety razor. Really terrible razor rash on the left side of my neck with a few cuts as well. Try a good safety razor before going back to the mach 3.

Lads,

Am looking for a bit of advice before I throw this in the bin :mad:

I got an 11c from Chris/Shaving.ie recently but I'm really struggling to get a decent shave from it.
    I thought having a reputation as an aggressive razor it would take skin 'n' all off me,but instead find myself with unacceptable amounts of stubble after 3 passes.
    A regular Super Speed is my usual weapon of choice and I'd get a much closer shave with 2 passes from that.I'm shaving the same way with both - am I missing something ? (other than my beard :D)

• Advertisement

Your shaving angle?

I find when using mine, it has to be a tad more inclined than the likes of the HD or R106. Leaves the underside of my chin raw, sadly.

I might be flogging mine soon.

I find certain open comb razors a lot less aggressive than I was led
    to believe. What works for me is using one of the sharper blades in it,
    try it with a Feather/Astra/Black 7 O'clock.

I find the best angle to use is different from the safety-bar razors and I
    also get the best results from an open comb when I have more than 24
    hours stubble. It's my understanding one of the reasons why open combs
    were the initial design was because when they were launched most men
    did not shave everyday but as men started to shave daily safety-bar
    razors took over as they are cheaper to produce and less likely to suffer
    damage from knocks and drops.

Try using the open-comb with a sharp blade on a couple of day's growth
    and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ive read the first 14pages of this thread and cant go on reading so
    apologies if this has been asked already
    ive only ever used disposable/mach/fusion
    for the past 20 years
    im goin to switch to a merkur
    would the merkur classic do for me
    should i get the 34c or should i spend even
    more and get the long handled merkur progress?
    ive no clue

mailburner wrote: »
    ive read the first 14pages of this thread and cant go on reading so
    apologies if this has been asked already
    ive only ever used disposable/mach/fusion
    for the past 20 years
    im goin to switch to a merkur
    would the merkur classic do for me
    should i get the 34c or should i spend even
    more and get the long handled merkur progress?
    ive no clue

The Progress gets my vote, either version, the fact you can adjust how close it shaves means you can set it low to start and as you learn the technique you can dial it up to shave as close as it suits you. The 34c is a fine razor but I find it slightly mild.

This week the postie has delivered my aftershave samples from Connaught and blades from Dr Idiot.

Going to be a month of various sandalwood goodness :)

Any one try the Gillette Thins from Thailand?

I presume it's the Super Thin you mean

I've tried them - they are excellent,very very smooth and you probably won't believe me but I managed 9 shaves from one.Now the last one was dodgy but the other 8 were perfect.
    Normally I get 4/5 shaves from a blade.

Yes it's the Super Thins as opposed to the vintage Thins. I too rarely go past 3 shaves per blade but having picked up a bulk order of these and the Black 7 o'clocks it looks like I might have to revise my ways.

Need to get my hands on some of the Russian blue 7 o'clocks now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Where can you buy these?
    Need to get my hands on some of the Russian blue 7 o'clocks now...

Are these the Russian blue 7 o'clocks? Or is it just a crappy photo of the black 7 o'clocks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25-Gillette-7-OCLOCK-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Blades_W0QQitemZ320435891406QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_localservices_healthbeauty_GL?hash=item4a9b77acce

DonJose wrote: »
    Where can you buy these?

Are these the Russian blue 7 o'clocks? Or is it just a crappy photo of the black 7 o'clocks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25-Gillette-7-OCLOCK-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Blades_W0QQitemZ320435891406QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_localservices_healthbeauty_GL?hash=item4a9b77acce

I had my first shave with the Gillette Super Thins, they're from the same
    stable as the Astras and Russian 7 o'clocks - even have the 4 glue spots
    but the glue isn't as heavy. A very nice sharp and smooth blade and I was
    very happy with the shave. I'll see how I get on with them but I can see
    myself picking up another 100. I picked mine up from Dr Idiot/Jason.
    They're double wrapped with an advert for twin-blade Gillette cartridges
    inside the outer wrapper.

DJ, those are indeed the blue 7 o'clocks I spotted on B&B. There's a thread discussing
    them here. I think they're the Russian equivalent of the black Indian blades.

• Advertisement

Astras and Russian 7 o'clocks - even have the 4 glue spots but the glue isn't as heavy.

Bah, the glue on the Astras put me right off, took me ages to clean the razor head after, sod that. Pity, smooth enough shave otherwise.

Advertisement