Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

While browsing B&B for razor blade reviews, I came across the following blade I never about before.

Bluebird Hi-stainless-Platinum
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93983

This blade got some pretty good reviews, "Honestly, my new favourite blades.", "Move over Feather, Derby, and dare I say Gillette Swedes.", "Wow are these sharp! I used them in my Merkur Classic and they shaved so smooth.", "Have had a couple of shaves with the bluebirds (from ntguy) and have found them to be on a par with the best."

So anyway I searched my usual haunts, Connaught, Shaving Shack, Shaving.ie without luck. So I googled Bluebird and found a link on Amazon.com. Went to Amazon and found a store selling 100 blades for $17.99. Usually Amazon storefronts don't ship to Ireland and if they do they charge a ton, I added the blades to my cart and found out shipping was only $3.99!!! $22 for 100 blades, including shipping isn't bad.

100 BlueBird Razor Blades Hi Stainless Double Edge Blades

Items: USD 17.99
    Shipping & Handling: USD 3.99
    Total : USD 21.98

http://www.amazon.com/BlueBird-Razor-Blades-Stainless-Double/dp/B002DZ0N2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1257970520&sr=8-1

Heres a link to the stores storefront for a bunch of other blades and shaving brushes

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A11C50J5I9SKBO

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I think Bluebird blades are re branded Derby's.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I think Bluebird blades are re branded Derby's.

Ah crap, I just ordered bluebird 100 blades, I'm not a big fan of Derby, Feather is my choice of blades , I ordered 50 Feather blades from Shaving.ie today so I have enough blades to get thru 2010 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

DonJose wrote: »
    Ah crap, I just ordered bluebird 100 blades, I'm not a big fan of Derby, Feather is my choice of blades , I ordered 50 Feather blades from Shaving.ie today so I have enough blades to get thru 2010 :D
    :pac: Some people think they have a different coating and provide a better shave than Derby so maybe all is not lost! Let us know what you think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Right so. After a bit of consideration, I've finally bitten the bullet and made my order with Shaving.ie.

I've gone with the Merkur Progress because it comes highly recommended from most people here and I like the fact that it's adjustable.

For a brush, I chose the Semogue 1305 Boar brush. I didn't really know what to do; whether to get the cheapest thing going or go all out for a badger brush but I eventually decided that middle of the road was a better choice than either. Hopefully it'll be ok.

The soap is the Proraso Green bowl as poeple seem to suggest that it's easy to lather and serves its purpose well.

And I went with the Two of a Kind Blade Sample Pack which gives two of a variety of different brands so that should give me a decent idea about what works for me.

The whole thing came to €68.92 so I really don't think that's bad at all.

How did I do? Any bad decisions? Anything I've not gotten that I should such as an aftershave balm or anything?

• Advertisement

I would have purchased the long handle progress.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-Progress-Long-Handle-510001.html

For shaving soap you have to try the P160,

http://www.shaving.ie/products/P160-Shaving-Soap-Soft.html

I've been thru dozens of different blades and have settled on Feather.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

I'm gonna give this a try now too. I have a question though. I don't know which of the following to go with so any pointers would be great. Im either going to buy:

the starter kit from the traditional shaving company (upgraded the razor to a Progress) here which will cost me about 65euro delivered.

or

This list from shaving.ie costing 71.42euro
    razor
    brush
    soap
    blades

thanks to all for the many previous posts advising newbies, it made great reading

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just tried my first shave with one of my Feather blades last night. Worked great, save for a couple of little nicks (that I didn't even notice getting till I saw a couple of little dots of blood in the lather on pass #3)

Three passes (down, across, against) followed by a chin/jawline touch up, and still smoooo-ooooooth this morning. :)

(Apart from the Mo of course! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    I'm gonna give this a try now too. I have a question though. I don't know which of the following to go with so any pointers would be great. Im either going to buy:

the starter kit from the traditional shaving company (upgraded the razor to a Progress) here which will cost me about 65euro delivered.

or

This list from shaving.ie costing 71.42euro
    razor
    brush
    soap
    blades

thanks to all for the many previous posts advising newbies, it made great reading

Both shops are are a pleasure to deal with and you wont go wrong with any of that kit. Taylors do great shaving creams but I don't rate their soap. If you're going with the shaving.ie option, consider the Prorasso cream or soap or Taylors cream instead.

Edit: Just noticed you had soap don but linked to the TOBS cream, based on that go with either!

Both shops are are a pleasure to deal with and you wont go wrong with any of that kit. Taylors do great shaving creams but I don't rate their soap. If you're going with the shaving.ie option, consider the Prorasso cream or soap or Taylors cream instead.

Edit: Just noticed you had soap don but linked to the TOBS cream, based on that go with either!

cheers. aye I meant cream not soap, its the cream im planning on getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I was asking about brushes recently as well, and the Semogue 2000 http://www.shaving.ie/products/Semogue-2000.html came highly recommended. This seems to be one of the better boar brushes out there, and is only a fiver more than the 1800 you picked out.

As for which shop, ... It's a personal preference, but I would prefer to support the local guy.

yeah i went with the local guy since its a better bundle i reckon.
    I had seen this on ebay and was tempted, but decided against due to probable longer delivery time - 12euro cheaper though:
    Ebay Progress razor

I stuck with the 1800 brush, but I changed the cream to the prorasso stuff recommended by Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    but I changed the cream to the prorasso stuff recommended by Gran Hermano

I would have gone for one of the Taylors creams, either Avocado or Lavender. Prorasso is a love hate thing and I find it can be difficult to lather.

Just tried my first shave with one of my Feather blades last night.

What razor did you use?

I use the green Prorasso in the tub; you won't be disappointed. As a functional, daily cream/soap, it's brilliant. It also lasts for ages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bothyhead wrote: »
    I use the green Prorasso in the tub; you won't be disappointed. As a functional, daily cream/soap, it's brilliant. It also lasts for ages.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with Prorasso in the tub...so far anyway, maybe its just becauise of the brush I used with it but I wasn't impressed with it on my first shave

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

MediaTank wrote: »
    What razor did you use?

Using my Merkur 34c HD, and absolutely loving it :D

I would have gone for one of the Taylors creams, either Avocado or Lavender. Prorasso is a love hate thing and I find it can be difficult to lather.

Really? One of mantic's videos (which I can't seem to find) shows how to properly load the brush. I use this technique, and I get an amazing leather from my Prorasso tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I agree with MediaTank, you get a shock going from Proraso to TOBs. A pleasant shock. A fairly modest amount goes a long way, compared to the garden slug sized doses of Proraso you have to use.. The brush glides around your face, a very graceful and lubricating lather.

The tubs that Chris sells are great value. Jury's out on the avocado, it's not a timid scent, it's a spiced avocado. I wouldn't mind trying the almond.

In lieu of not finding mantic's video, I'll outline what I do:

* Soak my brush in hot water for a couple of mins, while I'm washing my face.
    * I then give the brush a couple of gentle squeezes to remove most of the water. This leaves the brush nice and damp, but not dripping.
    * I then swirl the brush around my prorasso tub for 10 secs or so, sometimes pummelling it up and down couple of times. This gets a nice thick paste on the bottom of the brush, but doesn't start the lather process.
    * I then put a bit of water in my shaving mug (about half an egg-cup), swirl my brush in it, and start making the lather.

It took me a couple of attempts to gauge how much water to correctly add. Also, when I first tried started, I tried to make the lather with a very wet brush directly in the tub, which didn't work too well.

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    I agree with MediaTank, you get a shock going from Proraso to TOBs. A pleasant shock. A fairly modest amount goes a long way, compared to the garden slug sized doses of Proraso you have to use.. The brush glides around your face, a very graceful and lubricating lather.

The tubs that Chris sells are great value. Jury's out on the avocado, it's not a timid scent, it's a spiced avocado. I wouldn't mind trying the almond.

I'm having the reverse effect. I recently bought a tube of TOBs from Chris, and I'm having trouble getting it to lather :) Obviously you need a different technique to that used for Prorasso. I also find it hard to squeeze the TOBs tubes, and I can foresee a lot of wastage when I get to the end of the tube. On the plus side, it does smell heavenly.

What type of brush are you using btw? (I think mine might be a bit floppy)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Semogue 2000 (a boar brush). The TOBs literally lathers itself..

I find the TOBS cream in a tub much better than the TOBS cream in a tube.

The TOBS formulation is the same whether tub or tube. I find tubes handy for travel and easier to measure the required almond sized amount of cream per shave. However, onbe you get used to a cream it's easy enough to swirl the brush in a tub and load up the required amount.

bothyhead wrote: »
    I'm having the reverse effect. I recently bought a tube of TOBs from Chris, and I'm having trouble getting it to lather :) Obviously you need a different technique to that used for Prorasso. I also find it hard to squeeze the TOBs tubes, and I can foresee a lot of wastage when I get to the end of the tube. On the plus side, it does smell heavenly.

What type of brush are you using btw? (I think mine might be a bit floppy)

Floppy is good (when it comes to brushes :D).

You may find that you require a lot less TOBS cream to make lather than with Prorasso - that's certainly been my experience. Go for the almond kernel size squeeze as suggested by mantic59 in one of his videos -it works very well for me.

The TOBS formulation is the same whether tub or tube. I find tubes handy for travel and easier to measure the required almond sized amount of cream per shave. However, onbe you get used to a cream it's easy enough to swirl the brush in a tub and load up the required amount.

I was really not impressed by the TOBS Lemon & Lime tube compared to the other tubs I'd tried. Consistency was much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

Amalgam wrote: »

Amalgam, I've used the almond and find it's quite a strong scent. Actually it's a VERY strong scent, not quite sure yet if I like it....
    I also found the consistency of this particular cream to be totally different to 2 other TOBS creams I have - mine is a particularly soft cream, almost like a whipped cream, it'll nearly stand on it's own, this compared to the other 2 jars which are a much heavier, more solid, sponge-like consistency (if that makes any sense!) Being a light fluffy cream makes it less easy to load the brush too, I find I get way too much on the brush, most of which ends up down the plug-hole!
    Anyone else find the consistency of the TOBS to vary like this?:confused:

mixer101 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the consistency of the TOBS to vary like this?:confused:

I agree 100%, I've had two tubs of sandalwood that were like different products and as I said above I also find a difference between the tubs and tubes. I've picked up three tubs of avocado and they seem the same.
    I've noticed others on B&B experience the same.

I agree 100%, I've had two tubs of sandalwood that were like different products and as I said above I also find a difference between the tubs and tubes. I've picked up three tubs of avocado and they seem the same.
    I've noticed others on B&B experience the same.

Very interesting - I haven't noticed that at all (so far).

MT

• Advertisement

Floppy is good (when it comes to brushes :D).

You may find that you require a lot less TOBS cream to make lather than with Prorasso - that's certainly been my experience. Go for the almond kernel size squeeze as suggested by mantic59 in one of his videos -it works very well for me.

Ah!, so not the 2" line that I squeezed out this morning :o How big is an almond anyway, about the size of a 10 cent coin?

Advertisement