Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I agree 100%, I've had two tubs of sandalwood that were like different products and as I said above I also find a difference between the tubs and tubes. I've picked up three tubs of avocado and they seem the same.
    I've noticed others on B&B experience the same.

I have a tube of TOBs sandalwood, and I really have to squeeze the tub hard to make it come out. It's definitely not creamy, it's more like the consistency of a tube of ready-mixed pollyfilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

bothyhead wrote: »
    Ah!, so not the 2" line that I squeezed out this morning :o How big is an almond anyway, about the size of a 10 cent coin?

Yip LOL, yes that's about the right size. You need very little to make a lot of lather.

Nope, it's not happening for me. Half way through my shave this morning, I had to whip up some prorasso because I was getting afraid. I managed to make a small bit of lather with TOBs, but only enough to for my first pass. It may be my brush is the problem. I've a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks, so that will sort the brush problem out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are you using enough water ?
    I know when I started I was paranoid about too much water,so in reality I wound up using too little.
    Add 3 or 4 drops (literally) at a time and see how you get on.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Yesterday I added too much water (the amount I normally use with prorasso), where as today I started off with practically nothing. This got me started with some nice froth. I then added more water (a couple of mills at a time), and very quickly the lather disappeared again. I added more TOBs (did this twice) but couldn't get the lather back. Finally I gave up and gave my brush a quick swirl in prorasso, and lovely fluffy lather appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

unreal, i placed my order friday afternoon, its landed on my desk this morning, very impressive from shaving.ie
    i got an extra item - proraso gel, what might that be for? ive translated the italian description as 'for the small problems of shaving' - what kind of problems!
    I think someone mentioned it already, but a sticky with tutorials and videos that might be helpful starting out would be great. If someone has some good tutorials or videos point me towards them please!

EDIT: its for when i cut the face of myself :-) gel

The prorasso healing gel is like a styptic pencil. If you cut your self, a dab of gel will help stop the blood - much better than bits of tissue paper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The prorasso healing gel is like a styptic pencil. If you cut your self, a dab of gel will help stop the blood - much better than bits of tissue paper :D

It is also handy to use instead of a band-aid / plaster. Just use a tiny dab as too much will leave a residue when it dries.

I'm really liking the Gillette Super Thin blades, getting great results from them in both the Gillette New and Progress. I'll be adding another shipment to the stash, at a tenner for one hundred they're a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

My order is showing as shipped so I'm expecting delivery soon (it's sad but I'm very excited). So I've got a question for any of you experienced folk.

Having ordered the Two of a kind Sample Pack of blades, what would be a good one to try first?

I'll have a Merkur Progress and it'll be my first time using a safety razor. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

nkay1985 wrote: »

Having ordered the Two of a kind Sample Pack of blades, what would be a good one to try first?

Try the 7 O clock and Persona Platimum first. Then move onto the Derby.

The feather are generally ninja sharp, so id advise leaving them until you have more practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My order is showing as shipped so I'm expecting delivery soon (it's sad but I'm very excited). So I've got a question for any of you experienced folk.

I'll have a Merkur Progress and it'll be my first time using a safety razor. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Watch as many of Mantics videos on youtube as you can when you're waiting for your razor! Best advice anyone can give you!

Watch as many of Mantics videos on youtube as you can when you're waiting for your razor! Best advice anyone can give you!

Yeah I went through pretty much his entire catalogue the other day!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mantic59

Yeah I went through pretty much his entire catalogue the other day!
    Hopefully not all in one sitting! :D There must be about 2 hours worth of videos by now.

mantic59 wrote: »
    Hopefully not all in one sitting! :D There must be about 2 hours worth of videos by now.

Ok, maybe not your entire catalogue. Only an hour and a half. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

mantic59 wrote: »

Mark congrats on 5000 subscribers, and hoepfully some of the guys here will enter the competition(s).

MT

MediaTank wrote: »
    Mark congrats on 5000 subscribers, and hoepfully some of the guys here will enter the competition(s).

MT

Very good. Must check out those competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Robert Johnston of The Gentleman's Shop shows you how to get a great shave every morning. Using Castle Forbes products, Simpsons shaving brush and an Edwin Jagger Safety razor Robert shows you how ...

He's using some nice equipment.

[Edit] The reason this video caught my attention: A rather brisk and concise shaving manner. Something I quite like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amalgam wrote: »
    Robert Johnston of The Gentleman's Shop shows you how to get a great shave every morning. Using Castle Forbes products, Simpsons shaving brush and an Edwin Jagger Safety razor Robert shows you how ...

Not a bad video I had to laugh at his comments about alum...so true :)
    Just noticed shaving.ie shows up as a google advert on the video,

After I watched the video the next browsed video I clicked on was this, such a poor guide :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not a bad video I had to laugh at his comments about alum...so true :)
    Just noticed shaving.ie shows up as a google advert on the video.

Notice his neck was quite red after, no up close shots.. :) I'm puzzled by the total non use of ATG, could you put up with that, on the sideburns etc.. I don't know if I could.

Is it true what Mr Johnston says that is better to use your brush 'paint brush style' rather than going around in circles in order to prevent hair from falling out? - I would hate to get off to a bad start with my new silver tip.

• Advertisement

How many of you guys rinse your face with cold water afterwards, and is it necessary? - I don't bother doing it myself.

It tightens up your pores, depends on the type of shave you've had. I don't use the Alum block though, just a splash of aftershave a minute or three after the shave. I avoid balms.

I normally dabble on some witch-hazel, then a light balm, and then sometimes speick splash. I suppose it all does the same thing as cold water, except costs a bit more :)

The Speick splash (after shave?) is a future purchase.

I love it! :D

Amalgam wrote: »
    The Speick splash (after shave?) is a future purchase.

Yup, the after-shave. There is alcohol in it, but it's really mild. If you've a cut or have been going too hard against the grain, you might get a sting, but otherwise it's a puppy. I love the scent, it's nice and fresh; it doesn't last that long, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Hi lads, I only ever shaved with the gillette mach 3 or fusion blades and my neck goes all red and gets spots and reading some of your posts you guys all recommend using safety razors so im looking for help what would be the best razor to start with and what blades to use? also are these razors hard to use they look like you would cut youself very easily?

A safety razor is far more rigid in feeling than the likes of a Mach 3, if you're worried about lack of control over your shaving, don't be. The razor is also far heavier, it makes itself known, in your hand.

Don't judge it on looks.. Having said that, I still get the willies looking at a picture of the Merkur Future razor head at a certain angle. (looking at the blade gap from the side..)

futursideways.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I love it! :D

Is he even old enough to shave? :pac:

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Is he even old enough to shave? :pac:

[facepalm] Go to her channel.. Herself and partner have an impressive collection and intense passion for very exotic knives. I have lurked at her channel for a while.

Probably totally illegal to carry anything they talk about over here though.

Advertisement