Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

bothyhead wrote: »
    How many of you guys rinse your face with cold water afterwards, and is it necessary? - I don't bother doing it myself.

I do, and always use an alum block too. Experimentation over the years has proved that this is a good thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Cabaal wrote: »
    Is he even old enough to shave? :pac:

Er, I don't think 'he' was a he.

"Brmuda shorts and Birkenstocks" It brought me back to my childhood in the '70s, except for us it was duffle coats and snorkel-hoods :)

mixed up wrote: »
    Hi lads, I only ever shaved with the gillette mach 3 or fusion blades and my neck goes all red and gets spots and reading some of your posts you guys all recommend using safety razors so im looking for help what would be the best razor to start with and what blades to use? also are these razors hard to use they look like you would cut youself very easily?

As we often say, a Merkur Progress safety razor is great to start with and may be the only razor you ever need. Then get a blade sampler selection from either shaving.ie or connaught.co.uk. Couple that with a brush and some shaving cream (not soap to begin with) and you are ready to go. Check our mantic59 videos on YouTube for excellent tutorials.

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Apologies for using the F word this morning, but I'm liking a French aftershave at the moment that combines the best of both balm and aftershave.

p-ps-01-lotion-apres-rasage.png

It contains shea butter, witchhazel and glycerin so leaves your skin well conditioned. With wind and rain like we've had lately I try and avoid alcohol based splashes as they can dry out my skin.
    Reviews here on B&B

Manufacturer/shop link here

Mixed up,

+1 on the progress (long handled version?)

Try all the blades in the sampler; some will suit you better than others. All of them will cut you if used incorrectly. The trick to an excellent shave is proper blade angle and applying *no* pressure. This will catch you out for the first couple of shaves - having come from multi-blade land. The learning curve is short though; I'd say a couple of shaves and you'll start to have the knack.

• Advertisement

Apologies for using the F word this morning, but I'm liking a French aftershave at the moment that combines the best of both balm and aftershave.

p-ps-01-lotion-apres-rasage.png

It contains shea butter, witchhazel and glycerin so leaves your skin well conditioned. With wind and rain like we've had lately I try and avoid alcohol based splashes as they can dry out my skin.
    Reviews here on B&B

Manufacturer/shop link here

Did you try their shaving soap by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I think.. well.. I think my Mum uses their beauty products for women.

Gran Hermano, very nice trio of ingredients. [branching off slightly] I have been meaning to pick up some Shea butter moisturiser of some sort. I think the Body Shop do one. I'll mooch about when I'm next in Dublin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amalgam wrote: »
    [facepalm] Go to her channel..

lol, hard to tell :pac:
    Fair enough I stand corrected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pokerpro

futursideways.jpg

Totally agree very scary looking BUT, this is a serious piece of kit in the right hands.
    This was my first safety razor purchase and i've been using it for about a month now along with a vulfix boar brush, proraso shaving cream and a nivea aftershave balm - its really excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

Just been to TK Maxx in the green and they have some TOBs shave creams (tubes) and Mr. Taylor (also tubes) for €5.99, Real Shaving Co. tubes as well €3.99. all near the entrance on the left hand side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

OldnCranky wrote: »
    Just been to TK Maxx in the green and they have some TOBs shave creams (tubes) and Mr. Taylor (also tubes) for €5.99, Real Shaving Co. tubes as well €3.99. all near the entrance on the left hand side

It's generally hard to find, they put it on a stand in behind womens stuff, and beside rails of knickers and bra's but great value when you find it.

Isn't Mr. Taylor a variety of TOBs? I'm confused a bit about that, it seems to be, from a brief Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Isn't Mr. Taylor a variety of TOBs? I'm confused a bit about that, it seems to be, from a brief Google.
    Yep, its all Taylors of Old Bond St.

The TK Maxx Carrickmines has a more visible section by the staircase... It was hidden away in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm not sure whether the Irish TK Maxx stores have the TOBS brush and cream gift sets on offer, they're selling them for £15 in some of the UK stores.

The brush included is I believe an Edwin Jaeger best badger which normally retails for around £20 on it's own. I picked up the brush and sandalwood cream gift set with my first DE razor order and it'd make a good Christmas present.

Edwin Jaeger have some stylish and discreet brushes, sounds like great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Thanks for the heads up on TK Maxx, Stephens Green.

Nipped in after work tonight and picked up 3 tubes of TOBS for 18 euros.

- Eaton College, Barber Shop and St James Collection.

Left some Avocado and Rose behind in case anyone's interested.

Together with my Proraso and the Sandalwood TOBS giftset from Shaving.ie last week I am now well stocked up on creams.

Some nice TOBS Shower Gel in there as well, also € 5.99.

Also a very decent looking Best Badger Brush @ € 16.99 with an RRP of € 72 on the label, should have got it while I was there. Not sure of the brand but had a lacquered wooden handle - a slim & tall type brush. 2 or 3 left on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

delighted I've stumbled across this forum (sick of the mad prices of the Mach3 etc).
    Anyway, I've read some posts here and I am thinking of getting a safety razor and I see the Merkur Progress is getting good reviews.

So I have a few questions for all ye experts:

I can be a hairy fecker but I don't normally shave every day for many reasons such as time (lack of it!) and I feel it wrecks my skin.

1. What's a good website to buy from? I've seen Connaught Shaving and The Shaving Stack both sell the Progress, are these both reputable sites?

2. The Blades, what's the name given to the type of blades needed by a safety razor? Is it just known as a Double Edged Blade? Are they all the same size?

3. Do ye recommend going for a sample pack of blades or can anyone recommend a decent all rounder?

4. Wow, the brushes can be quite expensive, what's the advantage in buying an expensive one? Around how much should I spend on a brush?

Thanks lads!

Buy local: http://www.shaving.ie/

Nothing wrong with the two suppliers you've mentioned.

The prices are the same, in some cases cheaper locally, compare.. work it out on a sterling calculator and add shipping costs..

I find the Gillette blades round out nicely, Green, Yellow, Black Gillettes, they don't drag and last the week.

Generally, the more expensive the brush, the softer and finer the hairs will be, that's not to say you can rely on that brush to fit your needs. I use a boar brush myself. A Semogue 2000. Everyone's different in their needs and habits.

If you have tough stubble, you'll generally find a safety razor a total eye opener, like myself. I have facial hair like copper wire. No longer having to 'tap out' stubble from a disposable razor, along with a far far healthier lather, makes for a totally different experience.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

1. What's a good website to buy from? I've seen Connaught Shaving and The Shaving Stack both sell the Progress, are these both reputable sites?

Both sites are fine but shipping can be a pain, I'd personally recommend Chris at shaving.ie...excellent service and quick shipping and comparable prices to whats in the UK
    2. The Blades, what's the name given to the type of blades needed by a safety razor? Is it just known as a Double Edged Blade? Are they all the same size?

Blades are all the same size, I'd recommend buying on-line for a better choice of brands and a better price then anything you can get in shops

Buy a sample pack to begin with to find the brand that suits you
    3. Do ye recommend going for a sample pack of blades or can anyone recommend a decent all rounder?

Get sample pack, I use Derby blades but whats good for me may not be good for you :)
    4. Wow, the brushes can be quite expensive, what's the advantage in buying an expensive one? Around how much should I spend on a brush?

Thanks lads!

Yeah they can be expensive, for me I started with a £10 brush which I hated I later got a £45 brush which is excellent and well worth the money both were badger.

Lately I got a bore brush and I hate it so I think I'll be sticking to expensive badger, they are worth the money as they last years when cared for properly :)

thanks for the prompt feedback lads, excellent, I wasn't aware of an Irish website so I will definitely shop there.
    I recently purchased one of those razor pits for the Mach 3 but I dunno if it actually works, hard to tell. But what I do know is that I want to quit buying those overpriced and well marketed products like the Mach 3.

Just checked shaving.ie - wow, I can get 5 blades for as little as $1.89!! What he hell was I doing for the past 15 years spending a fortune!!

• Advertisement

Just checked shaving.ie - wow, I can get 5 blades for as little as $1.89!! What he hell was I doing for the past 15 years spending a fortune!!

It gets even cheaper when you buy in bulk

100 Derby blades for 15e
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Derby-100-Double-Edge-Blades-Full-Box.html
    :D

Cabaal wrote: »
    I later got a £45 brush which is excellent and well worth the money.

Cabaal, is that the Kent BK4? Weren't you the person that bought one?

Yes, and very nice it is too. Shaved with a tub of the same this morning.

Cabaal, is that the Kent BK4? Weren't you the person that bought one?

Nope I bought this
    https://www.secure-sales.org.uk/shavingshack/product.php?productid=2716&cat=132&page=2
    2dc191c4b22f48d69a064bc5a9392748.jpg

I have been looking at getting a Kent for christmas perhaps though

Can anyone recommend a good shaving cream? Is a decent shaving foam enough or is a soapy texture thingy preferred when using safety razors?

Can anyone recommend a good shaving cream? Is a decent shaving foam enough or is a soapy texture thingy preferred when using safety razors?

Cream (or soap) rather than foam and a badger hair (or boar at a pinch) brush are what you need. The English style shaving creams from Taylor, Trumper or Truefitt and Hill are great to start with.

I find Taylors Avocado great to start with.

If you're in a hurry to make a purchase, your local Tesco will have Palmolive Classic, both as a shaving stick and shaving cream in a tube. Doesn't smell very interesting, but works fine.

31072009image004.jpg

I'm not in a hurry as I have a few unused Mach3 blades still left so I will buy the lot online, thanks for the info lads.

I'm not in a hurry as I have a few unused Mach3 blades still left so I will buy the lot online, thanks for the info lads.

In that case maybe look for a couple of tubes of cream to try. I'd avoid the methol based creams such as Prorasso and Omega when you are starting out, as they do not lather like English creams and the aroma and skin feel are an acquired taste.

MT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

GD wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on TK Maxx, Stephens Green.

Nipped in after work tonight and picked up 3 tubes of TOBS for 18 euros.

Also a very decent looking Best Badger Brush @ € 16.99 with an RRP of € 72 on the label, should have got it while I was there. Not sure of the brand but had a lacquered wooden handle - a slim & tall type brush. 2 or 3 left on the shelf.
    I think ~I got the last badger brush although it was priced at €62 and the last 3 TOBS creams, Almond, Avacado and Lavender, well they were the only ones I could see (truth be known my better half had to dig around to find the brush and then asked me why I needed yet another one) there are loads of The Real Shaving Co. stuff left, a couple of gift sets with a brush in the deal for €9.99 (which I got yesterday with a tube of TOBS lemon and lime, used it last night, WOW!) I don't think I'll need any creams for a good long while...

Advertisement