Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OldnCranky wrote: »
    (truth be known my better half had to dig around to find the brush and then asked me why I needed yet another one) .

ah the age old question, I've had this asked a few times already about shaving bowl, brush etc :p

Whats the name of this condition again? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I don't know how someone could use Proraso at this time of year. Ugh.

run_Forrest_run, don't overlook soft soaps, a plus if they contain tallow. Something along the lines of P160.

Old'n'Cranky, to get this straight, brush and TOBs for a cent short of ten euro?

Any branding on the brush you bought? I'm intrigued, no reason to be in Dublin today though..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amalgam wrote: »

Proraso Pre and post shave, works for me every morning, it'll wake you up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Cabaal wrote: »
    Proraso Pre and post shave, works for me every morning, it'll wake you up :pac:

Hardy man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

Old'n'Cranky, to get this straight, brush and TOBs for a cent short of ten euro?

Any branding on the brush you bought? I'm intrigued, no reason to be in Dublin today though..
    No, The Real Shaving Co. are doing are doing the set with the brush, I haven't used it yet though, the brush that was €62 has the name Purely Cosmetic For Men on it

ah the age old question, I've had this asked a few times already about shaving bowl, brush etc :p

Whats the name of this condition again? :)

Not sure what the condition is, but the retort is always how many brushes do you use my dear for putting on the war paint......

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I think it's called Brush Acquisition Disorder - BAD :)

Speaking of which .... about a week ago I wrote a post saying that I was finding it hard to get a lather from TOBS. Well, I bought both a new badger and a boar this week, picked up some TOBS in TK Maxx (thanks for the heads up on that one!), and the lather is practically oozing out of the new brushes. I was using a no-name badger that I picked up off ebay some years ago, and it looks like that was the problem.

Also, I wrote that the one blade that I didn't like was the Gillette 7 O'Clock, when I tried it in my Futur. I used one of them in my new Progress this morning, and I honestly have to say that I had one of the best, most comfortable shaves in my life. So, it looks like different blades suit different razors.

I use the tub, and it's not very mentholated at all. There's a nice whiff, but doesn't have much of a chilling effect (that I notice anyway). I may have read somewhere that the tube version is much more potent.

Apologies for using the F word this morning, but I'm liking a French aftershave at the moment that combines the best of both balm and aftershave.

p-ps-01-lotion-apres-rasage.png

It contains shea butter, witchhazel and glycerin so leaves your skin well conditioned. With wind and rain like we've had lately I try and avoid alcohol based splashes as they can dry out my skin.
    Reviews here on B&B

Manufacturer/shop link here

I had a look at that website. The product is priced right at 9.10 eur, but an additional 14.50 eur for postage? You would want to pick up a year's supply to make it worth while.

• Advertisement

bothyhead wrote: »
    .... about a week ago I wrote a post saying that I was finding it hard to get a lather from TOBS. Well, I bought both a new badger and a boar this week, picked up some TOBS in TK Maxx (thanks for the heads up on that one!), and the lather is practically oozing out of the new brushes.

I'm glad you worked that out, it was annoying to see you say it. :D TOBs really does give a large volume of lather for what you put into the mug\bowl\etc.

Try and get your hands on the Black (Made in India) Gillettes, there's four or five Gillette 7o'clock choices, depending on the country of manufacture. A sharp and (I find) consistent blade to shave with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Robert Johnston of The Gentleman's Shop shows you how to get a great shave every morning. Using Castle Forbes products, Simpsons shaving brush and an Edwin Jagger Safety razor Robert shows you how ...[/YOUTUBE]YKg5r_JkgQA[/YOUTUBE]
    [Edit] The reason this video caught my attention: A rather brisk and concise shaving manner. Something I quite like.
    Not a bad video I had to laugh at his comments about alum...so true :)
    Just noticed shaving.ie shows up as a google advert on the video,
    After I watched the video the next browsed video I clicked on was this, such a poor guide :rolleyes:
    [/YOUTUBE]ixM10qw_wTQ[/YOUTUBE]
    Only noticed these videos now... BOTH of them had me wincing! Robert doesn't bother building up much of a lather does he? :eek: And he takes long strokes, which looking at his skin, looked like he was applying pressure too! He must have a face like old leather!!!
    The second video just made me wince at the mach 3 pulling the hairs out...
    bothyhead wrote: »
    How many of you guys rinse your face with cold water afterwards, and is it necessary? - I don't bother doing it myself.
    I wash my face off with cool water (not the aftershave!!!) after shaving to remove the last cream residues and close the pores after the hot water. Feels much more refreshing than washing it off with hot/warm water!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I see Palmolive cream in Dunnes for 99c

Seven Worlds will Collide

Try and get your hands on the Black (Made in India) Gillettes, there's four or five Gillette 7o'clock choices, depending on the country of manufacture. A sharp and (I find) consistent blade to shave with.

I will do, thanks. I've got the Green Russian ones.

I wash my face off with cool water (not the aftershave!!!) after shaving to remove the last cream residues and close the pores after the hot water. Feels much more refreshing than washing it off with hot/warm water!

It's the 'refreshing' feel that I dread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Old'n'Cranky - have you used that brush from TK Maxx yet?

Went back this afternoon but all gone - then spotted your post!

Just wondering is it worth a trek to Swords tomorrow to see if the TK Maxx there have any left?

Cheers
    GD

GD wrote: »
    Old'n'Cranky - have you used that brush from TK Maxx yet?

Went back this afternoon but all gone - then spotted your post!

Just wondering is it worth a trek to Swords tomorrow to see if the TK Maxx there have any left?

Cheers
    GD
    Not yet, its abit stiff, I'm going to give it a go in the morning, I'll let you know the outcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pokerpro

hi gents,
    Might i suggest picking up a couple of palmolive shaving sticks from tesco at the dirt cheap price of 50 cent!!!

Or if that doesnt appeal mabey the 100g shaving cream tube for €1.55.

Two bargins imo

An interesting collection of adjustables and slants. Mostly of German origin. Check out the Progress with the part plastic head, along with the likes of these beauties..

http://www.henning-becker.de/8.html

wsb655x4900928large29.jpg

This one caught my attention ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Finally hauled my ass into TK Maxx in Galway and got me mitts on a nice big bowl of TOBS Avacado cream.
    Man that stuff smells good. Lather was better than my usual cream (Proraso)
    Wasn't crazy bout the other fragrances mind you.
    Maybe the Lavender :)

HB

Small detail left out.. :D hamsterboy, what was the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Oops sorry.
    The bowls are €7.99, the tubes are €5.99
    If ye ask me the bowls are better value.

HB

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Finally hauled my ass into TK Maxx in Galway and got me mitts on a nice big bowl of TOBS Avacado cream.

HB

Whereabouts in the shop are they ?

Thanks

In my rush yesterday - to get away while there was a lull in the weather I forgot my razor :(

I had to buy a pack of BIC disposables (3 blade)

How does anyone use them every day ?

In fairness the end result was reasonable enough - a nice fairly clean shave but it was a pain literally - and that was with a proper lather,probably would have been worse with canned stuff.

CrowdedHouse, I have had 'impure thoughts' myself, curious what it would be like to shave with a Gillette Blue II (fixed head), along with TOBs and brush.

In my rush yesterday - to get away while there was a lull in the weather I forgot my razor :(

I had to bay a pack of BIC disposables (3 blade)

How does anyone use them every day ?

In fairness the end result was reasonable enough - a nice clean shave but it was a pain literally - and that was with a proper lather,probably would have been worse with canned stuff.

That's an interesting thought: which of the disposables give an experience closest to a DE?

I tried a white handle BIC disposable once when I was stuck. From what I can remember, I ended up a bloody mess, but that was when I was back in multi-blade land. Now that my DE technique is better, I wonder if I would have a better experience with a BIC ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I tried numerous types of cartridge systems over the summer with brush and proper lather, I got the best results with the twin blade Sensor.

I have yet to do the same with disposables but the Bic sensitive seems to be the best of a bad bunch according to what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

I use the twin blade Sensor a couple of times a week, 20 years of habit is hard to break. Still the best of the multi blades in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I lurked on this thread for a while before taking the plunge and ordering from shaving.ie - I used to shave with a cheap plastic DE razor before I grew a full beard a few years ago, and since I went clean-shaven again I've been in multi-blade land.

I've been using a Parker 79 with Merkur blades for a few weeks now, and I'll never, ever go back. I used to hate shaving; would only shave three times a week and never on weekends unless absolutely necessary. Now I can get a decent, pretty close shave in under fifteen minutes, and that nasty sore red neck is a thing of the past.

The only downside is not being able to bring my razor on a plane when I'm travelling carry-on only, but I guess I can live with that - I've even thought about bringing everything but the blades, and buying a pack of blades when I get to my destination (they're available pretty much everywhere, right?)

Big up to shaving.ie for a broad range, reasonable pricing and lightning-fast delivery - I placed my second third order yesterday.

Advertisement