Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I was in exactly the same situation as yourself, I used to wince at the thought of having to shave.

[nosey]What's in your second order, anything nice?[/nosey]

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

GD wrote: »
    I use the twin blade Sensor a couple of times a week, 20 years of habit is hard to break. Still the best of the multi blades in my opinion.
    I tried numerous types of cartridge systems over the summer with brush and proper lather, I got the best results with the twin blade Sensor.

I have yet to do the same with disposables but the Bic sensitive seems to be the best of a bad bunch according to what I've read.

I've got to agree I went from a DE back in the eighties (cheapo one, not sure of the brand) to the Sensor back to the DE and straights, I skipped all the other multi blades. I still have the Sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I did a bit of googling, and the twin blade sensor seems to be getting worthy mentions. There is a thread on B&B discussing the same. They have a poll, which shows 35% preferring the sensor, 22% mach 3, 18% fusion, 14% trac 2, with others taking up the remaining. 125 votes were polled.

I have never used a trac 2 myself; have any of the rest of you? It has non-swivel head, and is supposed to be quite similar to a DE.

As for disposables, there is a 3 blade disposable sensor on the market getting some ok reviews. I wouldn't be so sure about this myself; I think I would prefer chancing the sensor.

51SA4D8CTTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Where can you get a cheap decent safety razor to try it out?
    Will be de-mo-ing soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Of course we're boycotting Gillette products because a person sponsored by them did a naughty thing in a match during the week :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Been using the basic Sensor since it came out around 1989-90.

Everytime a "new and improved" model came out I tried it for a week or two before reverting to the Sensor. Used it exclusively up till this Summer when I stumbled on this thread.

For some reason I go back to the Sensor if I am in a rush in the morning and have a quick shave in the shower - but my long-handled Merkur with TOBS cream is miles and away a better shaving experience.

Of course we're boycotting Gillette products because a person sponsored by them did a naughty thing in a match during the week :D

So, the 7 O'clocks are out then? ;)

EDIT:

And I suppose the vintage super speeds as well

efb wrote: »
    Where can you get a cheap decent safety razor to try it out?
    Will be de-mo-ing soon!

I'm not sure about tenner cheap, but www.shaving.ie starting at about 20 eur. I'm sure that most guys here would recommend the 42 eur Merkur Progress; it will last you a lifetime. Oh, and DE blades can be bought for as little as 15 eur per 100.

Only $1.29 with blades - I want one :( Have any of you tried super speeds?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Amalgam wrote: »
    [nosey]What's in your second order, anything nice?[/nosey]
    Just a holder for my brush, some Derby blades and a bowl for shaving soap. (And now shaving.ie knows exactly who I am... :D)

I want to try out the Derby blades. If I like the feel of them I'll buy the pack of 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

Old'n'Cranky - have you used that brush from TK Maxx yet?

Went back this afternoon but all gone - then spotted your post!

Just wondering is it worth a trek to Swords tomorrow to see if the TK Maxx there have any left?

Cheers
    GD

Shame on me!! I still haven't had the chance to try this brush out yet!!! Maybe later on today, I'll let you know how it goes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The only downside is not being able to bring my razor on a plane when I'm travelling carry-on only, but I guess I can live with that - I've even thought about bringing everything but the blades, and buying a pack of blades when I get to my destination (they're available pretty much everywhere, right?)

This is a downside alright and its a pretty annoying one, personally I've not seen blades everywhere I've travelled so luckily I've had stowed luggage each time and I brought blades.

Though I did put my Merkur in carry on (without the blades) and in Portugal they stopped me, but sure I showed them no blade and they were happy.

Moving on.......I bought this from shaving-shack at the weekend
    I had a load of points with them so I only had to pay about 7e for it incl shipping which was nice

034fe4ee4b3bae6ce9897c6a23375103.jpg

Its cheaper then the DOVO Shavette but not sure if its any good, given I had the points to get so much money off so I thought I'd buy it instead of getting the DOVO Shavette for 25e

Anyone used the Parker 31R or equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

bothyhead wrote: »

Yip, I own 2 :) And I even have two of the Gillette Blue blade dispensers.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Cabaal wrote: »

Anyone used the Parker 31R or equivalent?

I actually have one of those... Never tried it though. Let us know how you get on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I actually have one of those... Never tried it though. Let us know how you get on.

Will do, should have it by mid week with any luck :)

bothyhead wrote: »

Tried ! - I'm obsessed with them :D

I think I've one from every decade,plus black blue and red tips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

My latest purchase arrived today. Man are those Bluebird blades sharp, they are as sharp as a Feather but more forgiving, I made the mistake of using them for the first time in a slant razor, I got one of the closest shaves ever but I probably took a layer or two of skin with it. The next shave will be with a progress.

The after shave package arrived after my shave so I didn't get a chance to use the after shave yet but I rubbed some Sandalwood in my hands and its smells great.

bladesaftershave.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Last of my Gillettes are gone. Wilkinson Sword all the way now, due to Henry the bollocks!

DonJose, have you had a chance to try the Harris Bay Rum?

Has anyone used the Taylor Bay Rum cologne?

MediaTank wrote: »
    Yip, I own 2 :) And I even have two of the Gillette Blue blade dispensers.
    Tried ! - I'm obsessed with them :D
    I think I've one from every decade,plus black blue and red tips :)

Very nice gentlemen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Amalgam wrote: »
    DonJose, have you had a chance to try the Harris Bay Rum?

I splashed some on just now and I found it to be quiet mild and hard to describe. The Sandalwood has a much better kick, reminds me of Christmas for some reason, its a mix of Christmas Tree and church incense, its a wierd mix but it smells great.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

All this talk of vintage razors got me thinking about investing in an old Gillette, either a Slim or a Fatboy. Leaning towards a Slim ...

I know there are loads of pointers on the usual sites around but would appreciate if you gents had any personal experience to share -

- How much to pay?
    - What to look out for?
    - Any other caveats?

Thanks in advance
    GD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

All this talk of vintage razors got me thinking about investing in an old Gillette, either a Slim or a Fatboy. Leaning towards a Slim ...

I know there are loads of pointers on the usual sites around but would appreciate if you gents had any personal experience to share -

- How much to pay?
    - What to look out for?
    - Any other caveats?

Thanks in advance
    GD

I'd go for a Fatboy simply becuase of the sheer weight and balance of it. It's been a couple of years since I bought one so I'm out of touch there. You may want to get one that's advertised as 'shave ready', unless you want to clean one up yourself.

GD, linger at the B&B (Badger & Blade) BST subforum.

Things have 'slowed down' a lot recently, some keenly priced Fatboys are lingering for a week or more, whereas before and during Summer, the sale would be over in minutes, if that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pokerpro

Latest purchases from Shaving.ie

10x Wilkinson Sword Razor Blades
    Speick After Shave Balm
    Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Tubes (Lavender)
    Muhle Sandalwood Shaving Soap

Grand total 26.07 free delivery of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

DonJose......YOU LEGEND :D

+1 Random act of kindness

+1 Random act of kindness

Ahah, +1..

Bluebird razor blade. (Made in Europe apparently)

Same feel as the Feather, a bit of a tang, but not as severe, I find. Nice shave. Monsavon and Semogue 2000. Mühle R106. A healthy splash of Floïd after the shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Odd question how many shaves does everyone get out of a disposable? I'm using each Astra blade for two days before replacing it.

I'm a martyr to razor burn and I find that the first shave with a fresh blade it's grand but by the next day's shave it's already starting to irritate me. I'm tempted to go with a fresh blade every day, reckon it would set me back about a hundred euros a year :confused: Thoughts?

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Odd question how many shaves does everyone get out of a disposable? I'm using each Astra blade for two days before replacing it.

I'm a martyr to razor burn and I find that the first shave with a fresh blade it's grand but by the next day's shave it's already starting to irritate me. I'm tempted to go with a fresh blade every day, reckon it would set me back about a hundred euros a year :confused: Thoughts?

100 euros a year, even derbys are 15e (or less) for 100, one a day is 365 a year so at worse perhaps 50-60...seems like alot for blades....maybe try a different brand?

Advertisement