Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

You are all very welcome. I thought you guys might like to try out the Blue Bird as they are hard to find. They are up there alongside Feather and Derby for sharpness and a quality shave. I made the mistake of using one with a slant yesterday, I took some skin but no knicks. I used a Blue Bird today with a progress on 2 and got a great shave. Another couple of shaves and the Blue Bird might overtake the Feather as my favourite blade.

@Amalgam, I tried the Arlington today and it smells delicious, I would definitely buy it again along with the Sandalwood. As for the Bay Rum, its too mild and I don't think I'd buy it again. I'm still waiting on my Spanish Floïd from Vintage Scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Bambi wrote: »
    Odd question how many shaves does everyone get out of a disposable? I'm using each Astra blade for two days before replacing it.

I'm a martyr to razor burn and I find that the first shave with a fresh blade it's grand but by the next day's shave it's already starting to irritate me. I'm tempted to go with a fresh blade every day, reckon it would set me back about a hundred euros a year :confused: Thoughts?
    Have you tried any other blades? The first thing to do would be to try a few different types and see if you get more out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

DonJose wrote: »
    @Amalgam, I tried the Arlington today and it smells delicious, I would definitely buy it again along with the Sandalwood. As for the Bay Rum, its too mild and I don't think I'd buy it again. I'm still waiting on my Spanish Floïd from Vintage Scent.

Ahh you ordered the 'Vigoroso'.. hopefully I'll have a bottle or three myself, by the end of the week.

Bambi, change your blade maker. There's no reason why you shouldn't be getting at least 3 shaves out of the better brands.

I change every 5 shaves when using a Black Gillette. 4 Shaves typically with ASR Personna, same for Feather, I find the Feather don't even out well as you move on through the week.

If you don't like the blade or how it behaves during the shave, move along to the next brand.

As is the case with just about every shaving opinion or habit, YMMV.

I don't use Astra blades myself, the glue on the blades puts me right off. Messes up the razor good and proper.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Ahh you ordered the 'Vigoroso'.. hopefully I'll have a bottle or three myself, by the end of the week.

I'll probably order the Pashana Aftershave the next time I place a large order at connaught,

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/pashanaas.html

There's one bottle of Col. Conk Amber Aftershave left at Connaught, its priced £18.90 but reduced to £15 once its in the cart. I've got the whole collection now ;)

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/colconkas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Have you tried any other blades? The first thing to do would be to try a few different types and see if you get more out of them.

I had a big sample pack and tried most of the generally recommended ones. The astras felt best, didnt like the merkurs or wilkinsons and the feathers near decapitated me :eek: I've been using them for most of the year so maybe it's try to sample other double edged delights..

• Advertisement

I had a big sample pack and tried most of the generally recommended ones. The astras felt best, didnt like the merkurs or wilkinsons and the feathers near decapitated me :eek:

What type of safety razor and you using and what type of shaving soap. Sometimes its not just the blade that needs changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Odd question how many shaves does everyone get out of a disposable? I'm using each Astra blade for two days before replacing it.

I'm a martyr to razor burn and I find that the first shave with a fresh blade it's grand but by the next day's shave it's already starting to irritate me. I'm tempted to go with a fresh blade every day, reckon it would set me back about a hundred euros a year :confused: Thoughts?

I reckon you need to try some more blades. FWIW, I find blades like Astra, Tiger, Dorco etc. pretty useless for my beard growth. Merkur I find passable, as with Swedish Gillette, but Feather really work for me. You should get at least 4 shaves out of a blade. Remember the sharper the blade the less shaves you get. Try a smaple pack from Connaught or shaving.ie to see what works for you.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Hi,
    Anyone know where I can get a Saville Row 3824 brush that is so highly reviewed on B&B. Anyone have one? And what would be a close match if this is hard to get in Ireland.
    Thanks
    Ed

QED seem to be the exclusive distributor at the moment: http://www.qedusa.com/

Just by a visual, the head shape and hair seems very much like a baseline Shavemac 177.

Thanks, I just got back from France where I tried some of the department store shaving creams and balms. I liked them all - Weleda, Cible and lastly Avene which is most kind to sensitive skin. Weleda is very herby with a distinctive lingering scent - and the a/s lotion stings like hell.
    I also tried the Monosavon soap (1.80 euro)and the Palmolive cream in a tube while are the ubiquitous shaving choices available, it seems, in all supermarkets and corner shops in France. They didn't agree with me - the soap was too drying and the cream overwhelmingly palmy.

However since returning to Dublin I got a sample Body Shop's shaving cream and I was impressed with its slickness and latherability.

I think I might try Speick next as like the Body Shop cream it has coconut oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I had a big sample pack and tried most of the generally recommended ones. The astras felt best, didnt like the merkurs or wilkinsons and the feathers near decapitated me :eek: I've been using them for most of the year so maybe it's try to sample other double edged delights..

I recently changed my razor from a futur to a progress. This has resulted in a huge difference to some brands of blades; ones I hated before are now lovely, except I still also detest merkurs and wilkinsons :) I mainly use feathers, and find them fantastic. You might have been using too much pressure on them before, or your razor may have been too aggressive. With the progress set down low (1 or 2) they're a dream. I get 4 very comfortable shaves from them (and 5 on occasions)

Anybody here try their Blue Bird blades yet. I've used them for the third time and they are excellent. Some say they are rebranded Derby's but they are much sharper and more forgiving than Derby's. IMO they are better than Feather and Feather were my favourites. Pricewise, they are a third the cost of Feather.

I received the Spanish Floid today. Its very similar to Italian Floid but not as musky, there is more a menthol twang to it, it does have a nice bite when applied. However I prefer the Italian Floid.

Mine arrives tonight, straight from Lanzarote..

Mine arrives tonight, straight from Lanzarote..

It is a nice scent, its just missing the musky scent and the talc feeling.

Just to say, if anyone is off to the Canaries, La Toja and Floïd are hard to find, unless you stumble across the more predominantly Spanish parts of the Islands. Spanish Floïd, as sold by Vintage Scent, retails for 7 euro, over the counter.

DonJose wrote: »
    It is a nice scent, its just missing the musky scent and the talc feeling.

It's a different product, just tried it. No Geraniol at all listed. Some odd additions, hydrogenated castor oil, God knows what that does, also Linalool.

floidlea.jpg

I prefer the Italian Floïd.

I was given some LEA shave sticks, nice simple packaging.

Edit - is it time for a dedicated After-shave\Cologne thread?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Edit - is it time for a dedicated After-shave\Cologne thread?

I think at this time it may not be any harm

$17 dollars, excluding shipping, for 100 Bluebird razor blades, from this eBay seller: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170390405446

Dorco like pricing, but the blade is certainly better. I'm on my 3rd shave with a Bluebird this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, just placed an order for a Progress with shaving.ie, I've been using a Wilkinson saftey with their own blades for the last two months so can't wait to get my hands on something decent. I'm still getting a fair few knicks though, using proasso cream which I've always found decent so figure it has to be either the blades or my technique.

I've also ordered the sample set of blades, so can anyone recommend a nice one to start with, I seem to remember the feathers are very sharp so figure I'll leave them to last anyway.

Be great to have it for the weekend but figure it'll be next week:(

• Advertisement

$17 dollars, excluding shipping, for 100 Bluebird razor blades, from this eBay seller: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170390405446

Dorco like pricing, but the blade is certainly better. I'm on my 3rd shave with a Bluebird this morning.

It is an excellent blade, I wish I'd come across this blade earlier.

Hi,
    Sorry to be off-topic a bit here but can anyone recommend a good witch hazel that can be readily gotten here in Ireland. Seems like the boys on B&B rave about Thayers but don't think it is on sale here??
    Last time I bought a WH I got it from Boots, which was a small plastic bottle with a prescription looking label on the front that the lady retrieved from a drawer behind the counter. It was about 3.50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

seosamh wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry to be off-topic a bit here but can anyone recommend a good witch hazel that can be readily gotten here in Ireland. Seems like the boys on B&B rave about Thayers but don't think it is on sale here??
    Last time I bought a WH I got it from Boots, which was a small plastic bottle with a prescription looking label on the front that the lady retrieved from a drawer behind the counter. It was about 3.50 euro.

You can get Thayers easily and cheaply on iherb.com, delivery on small parcels
    from them is only 4 dollars. Boots stock generic witchhazel, you may have to ask atthe pharmacy counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

WH is all the same, some just have a scent mixed with it.

I got some in boots and they had regular uncented or WH with Rose exctract for around 3e.

Cant wait to try the alum block

Thanks, I took a look at iHerb.com and they have it alright. Just as I thought, this is simple, I came across:

Thayers, Medicated Superhazel with Aloe Vera Formula, Topical Pain Reliever

Wonder if this is more effective in preventing in-grown hairs or is it just marketing. Also I am giving some thought to the alum block. I thought that using a Feather blade might be the key, as it has been suggested by others, but it hasn't worked for me. Then there is Tend Skin, which is the no-nonsense approach but I don't want to go there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Thanks, I took a look at iHerb.com and they have it alright. Just as I thought, this is simple, I came across:

Thayers, Medicated Superhazel with Aloe Vera Formula, Topical Pain Reliever

Wonder if this is more effective in preventing in-grown hairs or is it just marketing. Also I am giving some thought to the alum block. I thought that using a Feather blade might be the key, as it has been suggested by others, but it hasn't worked for me. Then there is Tend Skin, which is the no-nonsense approach but I don't want to go there yet.

I have a bottle of Tend Skin, and I've hardly ever used it as it's quite harsh on the skin. It seems to dry out the skin quite a bit, so I don't think it would be too good to use it everyday.

However, I also came across this product from Anthony Logistics, which seems to get good reviews:

http://www.mankind.co.uk/Anthony-Logistics-Ingrown-Hair-Treatment-70gm-PRODALPS8/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Gillo wrote: »
    Yeah, just placed an order for a Progress with shaving.ie, I've been using a Wilkinson saftey with their own blades for the last two months so can't wait to get my hands on something decent. I'm still getting a fair few knicks though, using proasso cream which I've always found decent so figure it has to be either the blades or my technique.

I've also ordered the sample set of blades, so can anyone recommend a nice one to start with, I seem to remember the feathers are very sharp so figure I'll leave them to last anyway.

Be great to have it for the weekend but figure it'll be next week:(
    Don't be so sure buddy, they had my order to me the next day! :eek:
    Hopefully you can try the new razor out at the weekend!

TThen there is Tend Skin, which is the no-nonsense approach but I don't want to go there yet.

Better technique and practice is how you prevent ingrown hairs. TendSkin is essentially an exfoliant mixed with aspirin in an alcohol solution. It's good for very sever ingrown hairs but not something I'd recommend for everyday (or less) use.

I found that a DE razor with bruad, good lather and a well prepared beard were key to solving my ingrown hair problems. It did take a couple of months though. I'd also use a 'less sharp' blade than Feather.

Cant wait to try the alum block

It may sting if you've any red patches, but it does leave a nice talum powder feel on the skin when the alum dries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pokerpro

Better technique and practice is how you prevent ingrown hairs. TendSkin is essentially an exfoliant mixed with aspirin in an alcohol solution. It's good for very sever ingrown hairs but not something I'd recommend for everyday (or less) use.

I found that a DE razor with bruad, good lather and a well prepared beard were key to solving my ingrown hair problems. It did take a couple of months though. I'd also use a 'less sharp' blade than Feather.

MT - i am encouraged by your post. I suffered badly from ingrown hairs in my neck after shaving, the main reason why i bought a DE was to hopefully stop the hair growing inwards.

While i have noticed an improvement some hairs still tend to grow into the skin :mad:. Can you tell me what exactly you did to eliminate the problem completly???
    Much appreciated

Advertisement