Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

seosamh wrote: »
    sterling to euro pricing

£50 is the RRP for the UK
    €77.50 is the RRP for Ireland

With the current exchange rates and our Vat RRP in Ireland should technically be approx €60. I have raised this point with a number of suppliers asking them to address huge discrepancies in exchange rates but usually it falls on deaf ears as Ireland is a small market for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    £50 is the RRP for the UK
    €77.50 is the RRP for Ireland

With the current exchange rates and our Vat RRP in Ireland should technically be approx €60. I have raised this point with a number of suppliers asking them to address huge discrepancies in exchange rates but usually it falls on deaf ears as Ireland is a small market for them.

Thanks for clarifying the pricing difference and its root cause. I do like to buy Irish if I can, even ironically when buying a product that couldn't be more English as this product is.
    On-line purchasing makes it so easy to open another tab on the browser and buy from the UK, no need to drive to Newry and all that entails. With An Post advertising the ease of online shopping it is important for Irish outlets to be able to offer similar prices to their similarly sized UK counterparts.
    I hope suppliers begin to realise this and stop fleecing Irish consumers because they feel that 9 times out of 10 the consumer just passively accepts the price as fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pokerpro

Fingers crossed. smile.gif

Pokerpro, I don't know if you are aware, but you might like the following:

Badger & Blade - Buy\Sell\Trade

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11

I'm assuming since you're using eBay, you probably have PayPal. You can pick up some very nice shaving equipment at sensible prices on the B&B BST.

Yeah really hope i get it!

Wasnt aware of the B&B website it looks really interesting.

Seriously tho, i think my DE purchasing is getting out of control, i bought a DE razor to save money but to date ive bought:
    2 razors
    2 shaving brushes
    5-6 packs of blades
    3 separate shaving creams
    2 different soaps
    3 afteshave balms

Paypal is a curse!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

There are some really great people on the Badger & Blade Forum, especially in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum.

I checked it out (on Amalgams advice) and picked up 2 beautiful Gillette Vintage Adjustables (Slims not Fatboys). 1965 and 1966. Really helpful people on there PM'd me with tips and also giving me a heads up when something suitable popped up. It's a great resource.

Now if I could only remember why I needed two :confused:

Pokerpro wrote: »
    Yeah really hope i get it!

Wasnt aware of the B&B website it looks really interesting.

Seriously tho, i think my DE purchasing is getting out of control, i bought a DE razor to save money but to date ive bought:
    2 razors
    2 shaving brushes
    5-6 packs of blades
    3 separate shaving creams
    2 different soaps
    3 afteshave balms

Paypal is a curse!

DE shaving is a false economy - could have bought a PS3 by this point instead!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

DE shaving is a false economy - could have bought a PS3 by this point instead!:mad:

I beg to differ: A PS3 will be out of date in a couple of years; a decent DE razor can be passed down as an heirloom to your grandson.

... now there's a thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

bothyhead wrote: »
    I beg to differ: A PS3 will be out of date in a couple of years; a decent DE razor can be passed down as an heirloom to your grandson.

... now there's a thought :)

And I use my safety razors a lot more than the PS3!
    :D

If you guys played Call of Duty (PS3) you would hate the latest version, all the weapons are ultra-modern, whereas the previous version was all old school weapons, rifles that you have to stop and manually reload, pistols which you need to hit your opponent with many times before he keels over - much like DE shaving with several passes to achieve what can be done readily with a modern Mach but that instant gratification is hollow compared to the satisfaction of enemy 'reduction' till the battlefield is bare and your weapon is reholstered til the call is heard again(bloody alarm clock!).

One flare tip vintage razor heading my way.
    Cost me the Princely sum of $24.50 or €16 delivered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Pokerpro wrote: »
    One flare tip vintage razor heading my way.
    Cost me the Princely sum of $24.50 or €16 delivered :)

Nice one, can you let us know how it shaves? (is it mild or aggressive)

• Advertisement

Just ordered a resupply of TOBs and also picked up some DR Harris
    Marlborough Soap, Cream and Aftershave. I better like the scent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

If you guys played Call of Duty (PS3) you would hate the latest version, all the weapons are ultra-modern, whereas the previous version was all old school weapons, rifles that you have to stop and manually reload, pistols which you need to hit your opponent with many times before he keels over - much like DE shaving with several passes to achieve what can be done readily with a modern Mach but that instant gratification is hollow compared to the satisfaction of enemy 'reduction' till the battlefield is bare and your weapon is reholstered til the call is heard again(bloody alarm clock!).

What ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Lads,

I haven't read all 133 pages of the thread yet. I've just picked up a (shudder) wilkenson sword razor & blades for the princly sum of €5.66 from boots.

It is a better shave than a mach 3 undoubtadly but not as smooth as a shave twice with a mach 3 (with & across the grain).

Someone tell me how this would differ from a more expensive "brand name" razor & blades ? The missus wants to get me one for christmas & I'm not sure that (1) I could justify it & (2) what to go for.

Feel free to scoff away but please also give me some info !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

No scoffing here dude!

Of course a better razor (than your wilkinson) will result in a better shaving experience.
    A good starter would be a Merkur HD. Was recommended to me when I began and I would have no problem doing the same.
    Can be found here

Regards

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

iMax wrote: »
    Lads,

I haven't read all 133 pages of the thread yet. I've just picked up a (shudder) wilkenson sword razor & blades for the princly sum of €5.66 from boots.

It is a better shave than a mach 3 undoubtadly but not as smooth as a shave twice with a mach 3 (with & across the grain).

Someone tell me how this would differ from a more expensive "brand name" razor & blades ? The missus wants to get me one for christmas & I'm not sure that (1) I could justify it & (2) what to go for.

The Wilkinson will be OK, but not great as you've guessed. Simply becuase it's very light and the build quality is not there. I'd always recommend a Merkur Progress razor as the one to start with (and stay with) and then get a selection of blades from either Connaught or Shaving.ie. You'll also need a badger or boar brush and some shaving cream. Thenwatch mantic59's videos on YouTube to figure out what to go with this stuff.

"Happy Christmas to me....
    Happy Christmas to me......"

As if my earlier splurge on the DR Harris Marlborough collection and TOBS creams wasn't enough I just ordered the new limited edition Semogue boar.
    smg_sb_boar_le_2_LRG.jpg

That's an expensive day of shaving shopping but to quote Oscar Wilde,
    "The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.."

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Just savaged myself with a Feather even though I have used them before (some time ago) without a problem. Merkur Vision on setting number 3. I'm going to stick to something safer. Does anyone want 107 of them? PM me if you do.

I have a couple of packs of Merkurs left; where to go after that? Wilkinsons?

All Feathers now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Michael G wrote: »

Did you try dialing it down a notch to 1 or 2? Feathers allow room for a milder setting.
    Gillette 7 O' clocks in one of their varieties are worth trying. If Derby's work for you then you are in luck as they are quite inexpensive. Although I have yet to try them BlueBirds are getting positive reviews also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

T.K. Maxx, St Stephens Green Shopping Center, Dublin.

A few odd items floating around.

Founders Reserve.
    2x Pre-Shave Oil - Mandarin & Patchouli 6.99
    2x Post-Shave Gel - Mandarin & Patchouli 6.99

4x Hot Towel Mask - Cedarwood & Clarysage 6.99

1x Pecksniff's - Citrus - Shaving Cream - 200ml - 8 euro, thereabouts.

tkmaxxshaving.jpg

1 Tub of Sandalwood Taylor of Old Bond Street, with a smashed lid and the contents spilling out like baby puke.

All the above , except the TOBs, had tatty boxes, but the items inside were mint. Tempted by the Pecksniff's, dapper packaging.

I'll be flogging the following in the next few days (Adverts.ie). Merkur Futur, Merkur 11C, Merkur 34C. The razors will come with blades, LEA shave sticks and decants of Italian Floïd to start the buyer off.

I've settled on the Mühle, more or less.

• Advertisement

I'll be flogging the following in the next few days (Adverts.ie). Merkur Futur, Merkur 11C, Merkur 34C. The razors will come with blades, LEA shave sticks and decants of Italian Floïd to start the buyer off.

I'll be keeping my eye on the 34C - hear its a great razor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Amalgam wrote: »

Which Mühle are you using?

230909r106headandshaft.jpg

The R106. The razor head itself is made\designed by Edwin Jagger. Not as gritty as the Merkur HD. The handle is quite slippy, but since the head has a standard Gillette thread, you can transplant it over to a handle you like, or buy one off the likes of Pureslab or Cooncatbob on B&B\eBay.

I have it on a Gillette Fat Tech handle, looking for somewhere in Dublin to Chrome or Rhodium plate it.

Knights in the Stephens Green Shopping Center are stocked to the rafters with Geo F. Trumper at the moment. Cream is pricey though, about 24 euro for the healthy sized tub. Sandalwood and Rose were visible. Boxed, lovely packaging. Limes Skin Food was about 17. Bottle is quite small though. Just a heads up if anyone is stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

Amalgam wrote: »
    Knights in the Stephens Green Shopping Center are stocked to the rafters with Geo F. Trumper at the moment. Cream is pricey though, about 24 euro for the healthy sized tub. Sandalwood and Rose were visible. Boxed, lovely packaging. Limes Skin Food was about 17. Bottle is quite small though. Just a heads up if anyone is stuck.

The only problem I find with this place is the hard sell, I've been numerous times to just have a look and a sales assistant with be all over you like a rash, plus very expensive.

That's ok then, I thought it was because they think I'd do a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Heard good things re Limes Skin Food, anyone tried?

Amalgam you are obsessed! And thats a compliment!

Hah, well, it doesn't take much to observe and post online.

I *was* bothered a bit when I realised close to a fifth of the posts in this thread are mine.. oh dear.

Michael G wrote: »
    Just savaged myself with a Feather even though I have used them before (some time ago) without a problem. Merkur Vision on setting number 3. I'm going to stick to something safer. Does anyone want 107 of them? PM me if you do.

All Feathers now gone.

The Vision is a very difficult razoe to use and IMO can be lethal with a Feather blade. I'd either use another blade or set the Vision to V rather than S.

• Advertisement

GD wrote: »
    Heard good things re Limes Skin Food, anyone tried?

Yes, great stuff, don't let the electric yellow colour put you off. It smells of summer and is excellent as either pre or post shave treatment.

Advertisement