Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

After I saw a post from someone about this I applied a few drops of this to my face before I applied the lather and I had a really smooth and close shave. Also it gives great protection from nicks and scraps. Well worth trying !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I used to use it, works ok...

The only issue I had is that the bottles are crap and have a habit of leaking all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I plan on doing a Pros and cons list of the gear,
    listing some of the more popular ones amongst boards users,
    how they work, where to buy them,
    and of course, tips on how to use them.

Don't forget links to Mantic59's videos - Tbh, without them, I'd be using 34 bladed razors with expanding foam to shave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    After I saw a post from someone about this I applied a few drops of this to my face before I applied the lather and I had a really smooth and close shave. Also it gives great protection from nicks and scraps. Well worth trying !

That might have been me who posted about this oil. I bought the St. James Reserve oil in TKMaxx and found it to be very helpful.

On another note, I have run into a brick wall in the form of the 3rd shave with a feather blade. Where did all that sharpness go? My quest for the ultimate blade continues and the trade off is sharpness vs smoothness vs longevity?
    And what are Gilette Swedes - is it a collective term or does it refer to a specific blade - saw them mentioned on B&B as an alternative to Feathers satisfying the trade off mentioned. Anyone know? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

seosamh wrote: »

On another note, I have run into a brick wall in the form of the 3rd shave with a feather blade. Where did all that sharpness go?

Bingo. Welcome.. now you know why some people have a love/hate relationship with them, or avoid them altogether.

Not only do they seem to nosedive, they can give you a rotten shaving experience from that moment on, a real dog bite.

http://www.shavemyface.com have a member, 'Squire', who puts forward enjoyable blade reviews, including the Feather.

The following thread groups together all his reviews. Worth a read. He uses a microscope occasionally.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29705&sid=7d56b62664504483e7aae56abe41b881

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm all set for Christmas presents, received my 3rd Gillette Red Tip today, I'm keeping one and giving the other 2 away as xmas presents. I'm delighted with the results I'm getting with the Red Tip and Bluebird. I can't recommend this razor enough.

redtip2.jpg

Amalgam wrote: »
    Bingo. Welcome.. now you know why some people have a love/hate relationship with them, or avoid them altogether.

Not only do they seem to nosedive, they can give you a rotten shaving experience from that moment on, a real dog bite.

http://www.shavemyface.com have a member, 'Squire', who puts forward enjoyable blade reviews, including the Feather.

The following thread groups together all his reviews. Worth a read. He uses a microscope occasionally.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29705&sid=7d56b62664504483e7aae56abe41b881

Thanks for the link - it seems that many out there are experiencing the same thing with Feather. That 'Squire' fellow seems to be a sage of all things shaving.

Switched to Gillette Bleue this morning but then I changed everything else too in trying to get done as quickly as possible. Zirh gel on oil but did Kyle's prep beforehand - the slight irritation is still there (neck) but didn't nick myself. At least I know I can get a decent shave quickly without have to revert to Fushions when pressed for time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just thought I'd share my experience with a new cream to me, O Melhor by Confianca. It's another quality product from Portugal - up there with Musgo. I find the smallest amount in the lather bowl produces lots of excellent white shaving foam with top class lubrication and cushion.
    Scent is on the mild side which I like. Contains lanolin, glycerin and coconut oil so leave the skin feeling great. (Works great with MWF for super-lanolin super lather!).

It's not the cheapest of creams but I can see why it's name is Portuguese for
    "the best"; recommend highly.

Just thought I'd share my experience with a new cream to me, O Melhor by Confianca.

Where did you find this???

DonJose wrote: »
    Where did you find this???

Leon/Bruno has it on vintagescent.com

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for the link, that site looks the business.

I doubt there's any problem with linking to another forum,
    once it does'nt contain any offensive or illegal material.

Jaysus you could have warned us. I found the following link offensive NSFW*

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1625

* not suitable for wet shaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Don't forget links to Mantic59's videos - Tbh, without them, I'd be using 34 bladed razors with expanding foam to shave :)

Ive just been watching these the last hour and theyre awesome!

I love the lathering part in the introduction video,
    i had no idea that you're meant use so little cream,
    and whisk it in a bowl! It looks great!
    Jaysus you could have warned us. I found the following link offensive NSFW*

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1625

* not suitable for wet shaving
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm all set for Christmas presents, received my 3rd Gillette Red Tip today, I'm keeping one and giving the other 2 away as xmas presents. I'm delighted with the results I'm getting with the Red Tip and Bluebird. I can't recommend this razor enough.

+1

The Red Tips are the business OK,but then all Super Speeds are :D
    There's a nice heft and feel to them,a notch or two more aggressive than the regular SS but not a monster.

DonJose seeing as you like the Red Tip keep an eye out for Gillette Rocket HD 500 a beaut as well but tend to fetch good prices.I think you'd like them.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=380296&postcount=1

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

,but then all Super Speeds are :D

I find my 1949 Superspeed pretty ok but appears to be equal to my Progress on a 1 setting so not the best of shaves, think I'll be looking for a red tip now

Cabaal wrote: »
    I find my 1949 Superspeed pretty ok but appears to be equal to my Progress on a 1 setting so not the best of shaves, think I'll be looking for a red tip now

TBH even though I have a 49 type I've never actually used it.
    My mainstay is a regular flare tip(1960) and the Red Tip occasionally. I've never tried a Progress so I can't compare.
    I'm due a blade change so I'll give the 49 a drive in the morning.

My mainstay is a regular flare tip(1960) and the Red Tip occasionally. I've never tried a Progress so I can't compare.

The Progress is a good razor but is not in the same league as a Red Tip, I own both the short and long handle Progress. I wouldn't recommend you waste your money on a Progress after owning a Red Tip.

Looking forwards to trying Proraso shave cream tomorrow - it has taken me a while to get around to it and I'm sure this Italian classic won't disappoint. Wondering if anyone would count this as their favourite shaving cream and can recommend superlathering it with maybe MWF.

I'm the same, find the standard Superspeeds too mild and leave me yearning for a closer shave. The Progress variants suits me better as I can adjust it as close as I want and I believe everyone should have one! I put the Super speed, slim adjustable and HD in the not aggressive enough for me category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pokerpro

Proraso is my favorite cream - flipping freezing in this weather tho :eek:
    Ive mentioned this before but pairing proraso with a simple palmolive shave stick gives a serious foam when face lathering.
    I think when you couple the slickness of the palmolive with the thick richness of the proraso you wont be dissapointed.

And best of all you can pick up a palmolive Shavestick for 49 cent in Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ive just been watching these the last hour and theyre awesome!

I think I've spent longer watching them than anything else on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Thanks for the link - it seems that many out there are experiencing the same thing with Feather. That 'Squire' fellow seems to be a sage of all things shaving.

The sharper the blade, the quicker it gets blunt. I don't get more than 4 shaves from a Feather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Looking forwards to trying Proraso shave cream tomorrow - it has taken me a while to get around to it and I'm sure this Italian classic won't disappoint. Wondering if anyone would count this as their favourite shaving cream and can recommend superlathering it with maybe MWF.

Try it on it's own first. I found it different to make up lather compared to English creams. I found I needed to use twice as much cream too.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

The Progress is a good razor but is not in the same league as a Red Tip, I own both the short and long handle Progress. I wouldn't recommend you waste your money on a Progress after owning a Red Tip.
    My Red tip and both Gillette adjustables have been gathering dust on a shelf the past couple of months :o. The red tip was a bit of a dissapointment for me but I found some good blade combinations for the adjustable. With any razor I have tried the Progress always nudged its way back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pokerpro wrote: »
    Proraso is my favorite cream - flipping freezing in this weather tho :eek:
    Ive mentioned this before but pairing proraso with a simple palmolive shave stick gives a serious foam when face lathering.
    I think when you couple the slickness of the palmolive with the thick richness of the proraso you wont be dissapointed.

And best of all you can pick up a palmolive Shavestick for 49 cent in Tescos.

I love the smell of proraso, I using the sensitive version now and it doesn't have that lovely menthol aroma, but the pre post stuff does though. so I leave the pre/ post cream on when I lather up now, mmm.

I'm after having a couple of shaves with the '49 type Super Speed,I got satisfactory shaves but for some reason it didn't feel as comfortable on my face.It does seem a shade milder than the regular flare tip('60) I usually use.
    (used with Astra Superior Platinum/P 160/Semogue 730)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've been reefing the neck off myself the past three days :(
    I've not changed blade or razor type of setting and not matter what I do its not ending well, today I went from doing two passes to one and its still only "so so"

I've not changed blade or razor type of setting and not matter what I do its not ending well, today I went from doing two passes to one and its still only "so so"

Could be the cold weather drying you skin.

That's odd OK
    Like DonJose said might be the weather

Any chance the razor got a fall and bent the guard bar ?

..or your diet, maybe even stress, I have noticed a change in good\bad shaves tying in with how I feel elsewhere, general health etc.

• Advertisement

Cabaal, I used your Blue Lider shaving cream yesterday. Not too shabby, on a par with Wars, they both have lather that dries out quickly though.

christmasshave2009.jpg

I'm using Taylor of Old Bond Street Rose today, with a Russian Yellow Gillette blade. A Mühle R106 razor head, on top of a Parker 91R razor handle.

The brush is a Semogue 2000, the aftershave is Floïd (Spanish) Vigoroso. A dab of Boss for when the Floïd has eased off.

Seasons Greetings to all the seasoned shavers on boards.ie.

Advertisement