Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Santy brought me a Schwartzweisskeramik Scuttle :)

Nice warm lather on this cold Christmas Morn

swk.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

CrowdedHouse, is that brush and razor holder from Badger & Blade member ssilcox?

Nice choice of colour, very nice.

Yes Amalgam that's where I got the stand, simple and useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Nice scuttle there CH; it sure is a big beast!

What's the shaving shop scent like? I recently started to use "Mr Taylor's" formulation (had a rather pleasant shave with it this morning.) It's a traditional scent - something on the lines of sandalwood, or even, perhaps, Brylcreem.

Anyway, to echo Amalgam: best wishes to all. May the holidays be safe and peaceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Merry Christmas badgers!

Does anyone want to recommend the best sub €30 brush on shaving.ie?

http://www.shaving.ie/categories/Shaving-Brushes/?sort=priceasc

And are Silver tips REALLY worth double (at least) the price?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Santy brought me a Schwartzweisskeramik Scuttle :)

Nice warm lather on this cold Christmas Morn

swk.jpg

Nice scuttle, where did santy get it ;)

bothyhead wrote: »
    Nice scuttle there CH; it sure is a big beast!

and that's the small one !

Bothy - I wouldn't be great at describing scents, Shaving Shop had a nice soapy clean scent slightly citrus.

DonJose - I directed Santa to the makers website :)

http://www.schwarzweisskeramik.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

That scuttle is very indulgent and a thing of great beauty.
    I think I am addicted to super-lather, a cream or a soap is not sufficient, only the two will do.
    I like MWF combined with Avene or KMF unscented cream. Anyone got any favourites? Tabac with...?

seosamh wrote: »
    Avene or KMF unscented cream.

seosamh, where are you purchasing those two from?

---

Currently using 'LEA' shaving cream this week, a nice oily lather, the scent is a bit overpowering though, very Spanish, think of a less cologne-like LaToja with extra sugar!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1705668

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I got to reading about scuttles and came across a mention of the Moss scuttle - it got such rave reviews that I indulged my impulsive side and bought one. I'll report back when I get it and try it out; of course I'll have to get some shave cream for it, as I've been a soap man until now.

I brought some Bluebirds on holiday with me, really liking them so far, although shaving is a bit of a chore as there's no plug for the sink and I'm shaving with running water of rather variable temperature. :(

• Advertisement

I am on the lookout for a scuttle and came across the following pewter shaving scuttle, I ordered a metal scuttle so I can put boiling water into it

Pewter_Scuttle.jpg

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522952/431831.htm

Amalgam wrote: »
    seosamh, where are you purchasing those two from?

---

Currently using 'LEA' shaving cream this week, a nice oily lather, the scent is a bit overpowering though, very Spanish, think of a less cologne-like LaToja with extra sugar!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1705668

Amalgam, well Avene I got when I was in France in GallerieLafayette department store. It is widely available in France. If you are not familiar with Avene, their products seem to based on a spring water that is recognised for it's beautifying and soothing benefits. They even make a big aerosol spray similar to Evian that you can mist your face with and is especially good for sensitive skin.
    As for KMF I got based on a recommendation here (from you?) on iHerb. I am on my third order with them and so far so good. I am trying to keep any orders with them under the 22 euro which I think (but am not sure) is the limit before Customs and Excise get interested.

DonJose wrote: »
    I am on the lookout for a scuttle and came across the following pewter shaving scuttle, I ordered a metal scuttle so I can put boiling water into it

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522952/431831.htm

DonJose, that thing looks Medieval, Rapper-friendly and futuristic all at once.. More crunk for your (bathroom) junk.

Price isn't too bad, curious about the P&P costs to ireland. I wish the handle was modern though.

DonJose, that thing looks Medieval, Rapper-friendly and futuristic all at once.. More crunk for your (bathroom) junk.

Price isn't too bad, curious about the P&P costs to ireland. I wish the handle was modern though.

Shipping is $15.50 to Ireland so a grand total of $85.49 or roughly €60. I wanted a ceramic scuttle but they say you shouldn't fill one with boiling water as "Normal stoneware ceramics can withstand temperature shocks, but when the object is assembled (as is the case with scuttles) a sudden high temperature rise can lead to cracks where the elements are joined."

Who has the patience for suttles - boiling the kettes, round trip to the kitchen etc. Although these days, with the cold snap, they don't seem so ludicrous.

No need for kettles - the water in (my) hot tap is fine to give warm lather.
    I fill both bowls with hot water and soak my brush while showering,then refill with hot water.

As I understand you can use water as hot as you like so long as the scuttle is pre warmed this way.

I find that very hot/boiling water is inclined to dry out the lather between passes

The one picked by DonJose above is a different/traditional scuttle as it does not have a lather bowl,rather a place for holding your hard soap and a water supply

Scuttles are for mugs! :D They do look the business but there are cheaper alternatives such as a bigger bowl into which your shaving bowl can fit/rest. Okay the base of the shaving bowl is wet when you reach for it with each pass but either is easily replaced if you ding them. I got such a bowl in TKMaxx - it is a mortar and pestle set but not made of stone but ceramic and is bulbous in shape and so cradles the shaving bowl allowing hot water about 2/3 up the side. Plus I can also use the mortar and pestle for its intended use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

seosamh wrote: »
    Scuttles are for mugs! :D

ah come on, I had a lovely shave with my scuttle this morning! warm proraso cooling lather:confused:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've discovered an interesting side-effect of the zen-like pleasure that comes with DE shaving: if you're not in a zen place, shaving sucks even worse than usual.

I'm staying for a few days in a holiday home (cabin, really) that has a bathroom so small I can sit on the bog and lean my head on the opposite wall. The mirror takes hours to defog, and I keep banging my elbow off the doorknob when shaving.

I think I'm going to skip shaving until I get back to a real bathroom :(

I know what you mean.. I was in a place with no sink or bath plugs, at all.. in the entire house.

I didn't feel it was my business to ask why, so I put up with that for 3 or 4 days.

How do they wash the dishes. I asked myself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

maybe this was covered before, but why do some of the blades have numbers in the corner?

maybe this was covered before, but why do some of the blades have numbers in the corner?

I've seen this asked with Derby blades in mind, they have very clear numbers on the corners.

Some members on other forums suggest it is for you to know when to turn the blade over, literally. The idea being that the used side has been blunted a certain way and that turning the blade over will give you a 'fresh edge' to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The mirror takes hours to defog,
    I picked up a nice small hand held mirror (in Prague) a few years back that has x5 magnification one side and no magnification the other side. I find it a great backup so that I am always self-contained with my tools.
    I know what you mean.. I was in a place with no sink or bath plugs, at all.. in the entire house.
    Easier to shave in the shower altogether.

Saw a great review for a ceramic shaving scuttle over at B&B and had to get me one ;) They are made to order and you can specify if you want ridges inside the bowl or not. I read that ridges help with the lather so I asked for vertical and horizontal internal ridges

P1000621.jpg

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68794

Saw a great review for a ceramic shaving scuttle over at B&B and had to get me one ;) They are made to order and you can specify if you want ridges inside the bowl or not. I read that ridges help with the lather so I asked for vertical and horizontal internal ridges

P1000621.jpg

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68794

that is BEAUTIFUL.....me wants. Can I be cheaky and ask how much to get it??

that is BEAUTIFUL.....me wants. Can I be cheaky and ask how much to get it??

It is beautiful and the great thing is each scuttle is custom made, I ordered the 1.5 scuttle for $54 + $31.40 shipping, I originally ordered the double scuttle but was told "I would, however, like to recommend that you consider a 1.5 Scuttle instead as the Doubles are really quite huge. They're nearly the size of a soccer ball and weigh almost 5 pounds (2.26 kg)." :eek:

The 1.5 scuttle has the following dimensions,

Outer bowl 6.25"
    Lather bowl 4.5" wide x 3.5" deep inside

It is beautiful and the great thing is each scuttle is custom made, I ordered the 1.5 scuttle for $54 + $31.40 shipping, I originally ordered the double scuttle but was told "I would, however, like to recommend that you consider a 1.5 Scuttle instead as the Doubles are really quite huge. They're nearly the size of a soccer ball and weigh almost 5 pounds (2.26 kg)." :eek:

The 1.5 scuttle has the following dimensions,

Outer bowl 6.25"
    Lather bowl 4.5" wide x 3.5" deep inside

Does that DirtyBird place have a website, or do you just ring them and order?

Does that DirtyBird place have a website, or do you just ring them and order?

http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/shavinggear.html

The shopping cart doesn't seem to add international shipping costs and I was emailed the following, "When ordering the pottery through my website, shipping charges won’t be added to the order. They’ll have to be sent separately to my e-mail address through www.PayPal.com (click on the ‘send money online’ tab). Sorry for the inconvenience, but my shopping cart can’t be set up for international orders at this point."

Shipping to Ireland for the 1.5 scuttle is $31.40 and $39.50 for the double.

• Advertisement

http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/shavinggear.html

The shopping cart doesn't seem to add international shipping costs and I was emailed the following, "When ordering the pottery through my website, shipping charges won’t be added to the order. They’ll have to be sent separately to my e-mail address through www.PayPal.com (click on the ‘send money online’ tab). Sorry for the inconvenience, but my shopping cart can’t be set up for international orders at this point."

Shipping to Ireland for the 1.5 scuttle is $31.40 and $39.50 for the double.

were you stung for any customs?

Advertisement