Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

were you stung for any customs?

Not yet ;) I just ordered it today, it'll take roughly 3 weeks to make so hopefully I'll get it at the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

DonJose wrote: »
    Not yet ;) I just ordered it today, it'll take roughly 3 weeks to make so hopefully I'll get it at the end of January.

Ill wait for you to get it and try it out before I order.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dirtybirdpotter

Thanks to DonJose for introducing my work on this forum. I just wanted to complete the information by letting you know that shipping for the Original Scuttle (the smallest) is $21.08 USD.

Also, a note for the gentleman that complained about having to run to the kitchen to fill the scuttle from the kettle. This is completely unnecessary. My scuttles stay warm through 3-4 passes or more using just your hottest tap water, very convenient. I've also read that boiling water can actually make the lather break down and isn't recommended.

Happy New Year to all. Please feel free to email me with any questions.

Julie
    Dirty Bird Pottery

Thanks to DonJose for introducing my work on this forum. I just wanted to complete the information by letting you know that shipping for the Original Scuttle (the smallest) is $21.08 USD.

Also, a note for the gentleman that complained about having to run to the kitchen to fill the scuttle from the kettle. This is completely unnecessary. My scuttles stay warm through 3-4 passes or more using just your hottest tap water, very convenient. I've also read that boiling water can actually make the lather break down and isn't recommended.

Julie
    Dirty Bird Pottery

Welcome Julie,

I love your scuttle and will probably be ordering one end of the month. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I also have one of the regular size DirtyBird scuttles - it's excellent.

I wasn't caught for customs (about 6 months ago)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Julie
    Dirty Bird Pottery

Welcome to boards.ie Julie, I had to introduce your work to this forum as it has received rave reviews on other shaving related forums. I'm looking forward to receiving my scuttle.

I also have one of the regular size DirtyBird scuttles - it's excellent.

Post some pics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Post some pics ;)

DonJose - it's in a different location,won't be there 'til Monday

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I had a dream last night that Gillette launched a new range of razors, including a straight razor, that had the same kind of gold shaft you'd see on the old Superspeed. The blades were dirt-cheap too.

Oh how I was disappointed when I woke up this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/shavinggear.html

The shopping cart doesn't seem to add international shipping costs and I was emailed the following, "When ordering the pottery through my website, shipping charges won’t be added to the order. They’ll have to be sent separately to my e-mail address through www.PayPal.com (click on the ‘send money online’ tab). Sorry for the inconvenience, but my shopping cart can’t be set up for international orders at this point."

Shipping to Ireland for the 1.5 scuttle is $31.40 and $39.50 for the double.

Well the dirtybird sure looks pretty but the shipping is prohibitively expensive and the risk of getting snagged by customs and excise may excite those who want to 'get it through' without paying duty but all in all this is too much hassle.
    I'd nearly prefer to shave in the kitchen and microwave the lather to keep it warm.
    But seriously, there are a lot of great potters here in Ireland and in these recessionary times we should be looking to support local businesses. Does anyone know of one who could make this mug within a mug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

seosamh wrote: »
    Well the dirtybird sure looks pretty but the shipping is prohibitively expensive and the risk of getting snagged by customs and excise may excite those who want to 'get it through' without paying duty but all in all this is too much hassle.
    I'd nearly prefer to shave in the kitchen and microwave the lather to keep it warm.
    But seriously, there are a lot of great potters here in Ireland and in these recessionary times we should be looking to support local businesses. Does anyone know of one who could make this mug within a mug?

Why the snipery? There's a market.. a person(s) in the US provides for that, with very nice skills, it has to be said. It's a free market.

Send the same shape and weight, (1kg or 2kg) from An Post to the US, for the same price, tell us how you get on..

Well the dirtybird sure looks pretty but the shipping is prohibitively expensive

The 1.5 scuttle including shipping costs €60, I'll gladly pay €15+ in customs fees, the German scuttle that crowdedhouse posted costs €64 + €15 shipping to the UK. I think the Dirty Bird pricing is excellent for such a personalized quality scuttle.

Find me an Irish potter who can produce a similar quality scuttle for $54/€37 and I will buy it. It might be recessionary times but they still charge celtic tiger prices ;)

If you had a similar Scuttle in say.. the Kilkenny Design shop window, I guarantee you the price would be 65 euro upwards.

Well, you guys have knocked back all my points and admittedly this is a good find and the craftmanship involved cannot be faulted. They are also hand-thrown as opposed to using a mould which adds to the character of the piece.
    But I need to play devil's advocate here, as it all smacks a little of AD. Plus it raises the other concern that when we espouse to others the great cost benefit of switching away from expensive cartridge shaving to DE, we neglect to mention the abundance of paraphernalia such as this that makes this approach more expensive as well as time consuming - if you let it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Well, you guys have knocked back all my points and admittedly this is a good find and the craftmanship involved cannot be faulted. They are also hand-thrown as opposed to using a mould which adds to the character of the piece.
    But I need to play devil's advocate here, as it all smacks a little of AD. Plus it raises the other concern that when we espouse to others the great cost benefit of switching away from expensive cartridge shaving to DE, we neglect to mention the abundance of paraphernalia such as this that makes this approach more expensive as well as time consuming - if you let it.

It's the same with many "hobbies" though. It may be easy/cheap to begin with but the costs start adding up.

But, it looks to me that you can get set up fairly cheap if you don't want to go all out on bits and bobs.

Dord wrote: »
    It's the same with many "hobbies" though. It may be easy/cheap to begin with but the costs start adding up.

But, it looks to me that you can get set up fairly cheap if you don't want to go all out on bits and bobs.

..and the way you shave, what equipment you use and how, is entirely personal and unique to each of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

P1000621.jpg

Ever notice how basquilles avatar, looks like a top-down view of one of those Scuttles with a snake in it?

Or maybe im just clinically insane.... EmoticonConfused.gif

On the subject of scuttles, here's another producer of them. I like the acid etched look.

Main: http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/

Scuttles: http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/moss_scuttle.htm

Amalgam wrote: »
    On the subject of scuttles, here's another producer of them. I like the acid etched look.

they do look very nice, but I wanna try one that has the horizontal and vertical ridges in them like the Dirty Bird Scuttle

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I ordered a scuttle from Sara Bonnyman, as I mentioned earlier. She emailed me to let me know that she'd shipped it, but accidentally sent it surface mail - so she's sending me another air mail, and asked me to give away the first one when it eventually arrives. Talk about customer service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I'd love to use one of those scuttles above, but is it not a bit dangerous to use them in the bathroom (in case they dropped)?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd love to use one of those scuttles above, but is it not a bit dangerous to use them in the bathroom (in case they dropped)?

to be honest its not much different to something like this http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Black-Shaving-Mug.html

I've been using this/or something like this since I started shaving with a DE in Jan 2009 with no problems

muhle-rn-46-shave-mug.jpg

Sadly, I cut my thumb open on a broken mug handle shaving. Which is why I'm wary of having porcelain or pottery around.

B&B member ph33nyx recently sold off a fine clutch of hand made Scuttles at $20 US each. On behalf of his talented mother in law.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123572

It's some sensation going walkies just after shaving, in this weather.. Polo Silvermint fresh.

Alternating between Rose and Avocado Taylor of Old Bond Street. Avoiding anything menthol like the plague..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's some sensation going walkies just after shaving, in this weather.. Polo Silvermint fresh.

Alternating between Rose and Avocado Taylor of Old Bond Street. Avoiding anything menthol like the plague..

Only shaving every second day now, might end up every third if it gets colder :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've kept up with the daily shave during the cold spell, just find I'm using slightly more AS balm. I'm liking the DR Harris soaps and creams a lot at the moment.

Am finding it hard keeping a woolly hat on freshly shaved head though - no stubble to provide 'grip'.

I'm been getting some great shaves using Dr Harris Marlborough(although the scent is an acquired taste) combined with Kiss My Face Unscented. More recently I got some Cade soap and am finding it a little harder,literally as it is triple milled, to generate a satisfactory lather and this resulted in a nasty cut. I may try to superlather with KMF as well to get the right protection.

Anyone using the Vulfix 404 mixed boar and badger brush? It is getting some good comments on other boards and is only about 12 euro. Might be the brush with the right backbone to tackle Cade - better than my super soft Kent BK4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Some members on other forums suggest it is for you to know when to turn the blade over, literally. The idea being that the used side has been blunted a certain way and that turning the blade over will give you a 'fresh edge' to use.

Uban legend, they are manufacturing codes. BTW, you should never turn a blade over - one side is bevelled the same as the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

The origiunal and best - designed by Dr Moss - he of straight razor fame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

MediaTank wrote: »
    Uban legend, they are manufacturing codes. BTW, you should never turn a blade over - one side is bevelled the same as the other.

But each edge is numbered 1 to 4, a bit of an odd manufacturing code I would have thought, 1234 ?

Advertisement