Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Michael G wrote: »
    I flayed myself with a Feather on a Merkur Fusion, which is like shaving with a shovel but I had foolishly bought one because it looked so stylish, and because of that I gave away most of my Feathers. Then I tried a Feather with a long-handled Progress set at 1½ and everything was perfect. I think the setting on an adjustable razor is very important.

Thr Fusion is a very unforgving razor - I only use mine occasionally.

While on a recent trip to the Middle East I picked up this lot.

The three tubes of Arko cost less than €1!

Here's a picture of my injector. Note the difference between the original blade cartridge and the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Are the modern injector blades of 'modern' quality? Is the shave satisfactory?

Injector razors go for peanuts, yet they look gorgeous.

Have you tried the Ingrams? Seems popular in Spain\Canaria.

---

Anyone else have the cap on their tube of Taylor of Old Bond Street break off. Bah.. I'll bodge something.

Trundling along with a black Indian Gillette blade and a Mühle R106 this week, nothing new for me sadly..

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Amalgam wrote: »
    Anyone else have the cap on their tube of Taylor of Old Bond Street break off. Bah..

Yep - bloody annoying as I bought if for travelling. Now I've to balance it on the lid to "seal" it.

• Advertisement

Are the modern injector blades of 'modern' quality? Is the shave satisfactory?

Injector razors go for peanuts, yet they look gorgeous.

Yes the shave is great - I posted elsewhere on this thread. The razor is very light but the angle of the head makes it very easy to use. The blades are very rigid and I'd haertily recommmedn giving one a go. Connaught sell the blades.
    Have you tried the Ingrams? Seems popular in Spain\Canaria.

I've only tried the Arko Cool so far. With the exception of the Arkos all of the other creams are made in the Middle East.
    ---
    Anyone else have the cap on their tube of Taylor of Old Bond Street break off. Bah.. I'll bodge something.

Constantly, it seems to be a design flaw with these tubes!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just got my latest delivery from shaving.ie

My god the bottle for "Floid The Genuine Italian After Shave" is bloody massive, can't get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I just started DE shaving a couple weeks back after reading this thread and i find it excellent. I have noticed one thing though in regards to lather though.
    Do you rinse your face after each pass ? I find if i rinse after each pass the lather becomes poor, the texture in the mug is great but when it mixes with the water on my face from rinsing it becomes more watery with each pass.This morning for my final pass the later was poor it just annoyed me a bit.:mad:
    Do you have to rinse?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

I never have - not had any issues.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

padi89 wrote: »
    Do you have to rinse?

I rinse after each pass, I only do two passes now and I find it works grand for me.

I rinse after the first pass so I can see if I've missed anything clearly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I just started DE shaving a couple weeks back after reading this thread and i find it excellent. I have noticed one thing though in regards to lather though.
    Do you rinse your face after each pass ? I find if i rinse after each pass the lather becomes poor, the texture in the mug is great but when it mixes with the water on my face from rinsing it becomes more watery with each pass.This morning for my final pass the later was poor it just annoyed me a bit.:mad:
    Do you have to rinse?
    Make the lather a bit thicker then as your face will be just as wet after each pass.

I normally do 2.5 passes. And rinse after the first pass. Before the last half pass (cheeks/side of the face against the grain) I dont rinse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Three passes seems to work for me at the moment, maybe when i get the technique down il get it in two. I think il try make the later a wee bit thicker next time and maybe run the water a bit more off my face before lathering up again.
    Cheers.

Three passes seems to work for me at the moment, maybe when i get the technique down il get it in two. I think il try make the later a wee bit thicker next time and maybe run the water a bit more off my face before lathering up again.
    Cheers.

No harm to pat dry with a towel before relathering.

2 and chin for myself, I find the first rinse helps a lot, really preps the hair, nice and squeaky for the second pass of lather.

If you find the shaving mug is thinning out your cream, change your water\cream ratio, or consider doing like myself, removing the mug altogether from the routine, placing a nut of cream directly into a wet brush, then lathering it into your face. Each to his own.

I'm working through a tube of LEA, at the moment.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just got my latest delivery from shaving.ie

My god the bottle for "Floid The Genuine Italian After Shave" is bloody massive, can't get over it

What did you go for, Blue or Orange?

What did you go for, Blue or Orange?

went for the orange, no idea what its like yet really as I've not opened it

Just to say, the character of it will only come alive to you on freshly shaved skin. Otherwise the menthol undercurrent doesn't hit your skin at all.

For anyone that wanted to get an idea of the size here it is beside a 20c coin

floid.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

is it possible to use a safety razor to grow and keep a beard trimmed, is there a specific sort of a razor need or would you be better off with an electric one ?

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    is it possible to use a safety razor to grow and keep a beard trimmed, is there a specific sort of a razor need or would you be better off with an electric one ?

Not with a safety razor, it designed to remove stubble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm blaming boards' downtime on me spending too much time on other shaving sites!

Cabaal, how you liking the MWF in the photo? I still keep mine in rotation and use it at least twice a week.

Cabaal, how you liking the MWF in the photo? I still keep mine in rotation and use it at least twice a week.

To be honest I find it fantastic and by far the best shaving soap I've used to date, much better then the Proraso sensitive I was using previously.

Funny thing is when I started shaving with a DE I started with shaving soap and I found it awful so I changed to creams,

I've found creams nice and all but they seemed alot of work and mess (having something separate like a mug to do lather) so I bought Proraso shaving soap and found it handy as it was all in one and as such handier for traveling.

Then I switched to Proraso sensitive shaving soap and found this better but by far MWF is the best I've tried to date, doubt I';ll be using shaving creams again for sometime :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be honest I find it fantastic and by far the best shaving soap I've used to date, much better then the Proraso sensitive I was using previously.

Funny thing is when I started shaving with a DE I started with shaving soap and I found it awful so I changed to creams,

I've found creams nice and all but they seemed alot of work and mess (having something separate like a mug to do lather) so I bought Proraso shaving soap and found it handy as it was all in one and as such handier for traveling.

Then I switched to Proraso sensitive shaving soap and found this better but by far MWF is the best I've tried to date, doubt I';ll be using shaving creams again for sometime :)

MWF is truly a great soap, it seems the Americans on B&B are constantly bashing it with at least one new thread a month complaining it will not lather - I blame their water. I really appreciate the MWF during the cold weather, and I'm guessing it's lanolin effect. I end up using the MWF with Musgo or O Melhor creams for lanolin super-lather.

I was also planning on digging out the Proraso sensitive as will be away with work and as you said it's ideal for lathering with when away. Hmm, might stick in some Cella instead.

Has anyone tried the Gillette Bleu Extra blades? I'm hoping to pick some up along with some French soaps (Monsavon and others) when away.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I must buy some MWF. My razor is a bit cruddy and rusty after my travels (an unfortunate side effect of not being able to take proper care of it), so I'm tempted to get another one anyway, and I want to get some cream to try in the new scuttle.

Shaving.ie, here I come...!

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I must buy some MWF. My razor is a bit cruddy and rusty after my travels (an unfortunate side effect of not being able to take proper care of it), so I'm tempted to get another one anyway, and I want to get some cream to try in the new scuttle.

Shaving.ie, here I come...!

Get that order in whilst the sale is still on and the coupon is on the other thread. :D

The TOBs and DR Harris creams are well worth a purchase.

Get that order in whilst the sale is still on and the coupon is on the other thread. :D
    Hoo, yeah!
    The TOBs and DR Harris creams are well worth a purchase.
    Yeah, I was looking at TOBS Sandalwood cream - that's a fragrance I'm generally very fond of. Might stock up while I'm on a roll...

MWF is truly a great soap, it seems the Americans on B&B are constantly bashing it with at least one new thread a month complaining it will not lather - I blame their water.

Could be there water, where I live we have VERY hard water so bad infact we had to get a water softener or the shower would need to be replaced within only 7 months of moving in
    I was also planning on digging out the Proraso sensitive as will be away with work and as you said it's ideal for lathering with when away..

The whole soap in a handy plastic bowl with a lid is great, easy lather, wash off, dry and re-pack for traveling

Pity about the board outage, Enable Ireland, Capel Street, Dublin.. had an open comb Gillette leather travel set and razor for 10.50 euro.

The charity shop was selling off a display window on January 22nd. I meant to post a heads up, as I couldn't go into Dublin to buy it myself.

Two tumblers, an open comb razor and a very nice leather holder. A bit like an old binocular case, soft leather. The comb on the razor 'bending over', not like the modern type sold by Merkur and Mühle etc.

Thursday, it took five minutes and a committee meeting involving five staff, to decide whether I could be shown the kit or not, before the sell off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I was looking at TOBS Sandalwood cream - that's a fragrance I'm generally very fond of. Might stock up while I'm on a roll...
    Smells old to me tbh.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    Smells old to me tbh.
    I am old. ;)

Advertisement