Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You build up resistance to the TOBs (Taylor of Old Bond Street) fragrances I find, they kind of all blend into each other. There are days when I couldn't tell you if I'm using Rose or Avocado, if asked during the shave.

Last few days I've gone back to using a Merkur 11C Open Comb Safety Razor. I'm glad I didn't sell it, needs a good bit more of an angle, compared to a regular safety razor. Very nice 'clean' feeling skin after, specially to the sides of the chin. You do notice extra fluff and debris being exfoliated in the sink. Using a Russian Yellow Gillette blade, LEA (Spain) shaving cream. Spanish Floïd aftershave.

I presume it is the 1929 Gillette New head that has the classic bent teeth, open comb?

Anyone a user of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Amalgam wrote: »
    Pity about the board outage,

I know yeah, that was a close shave for all of us.

*gets coat*

*leaves*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I currently use a Mach 3 Turbo to shave, but this thread has me intrigued. I remember my Grandad had a safety razor and I wouldn't mind giving one a try. However, I also shave my head several times a week. Would I be risking my life using a safety razor? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I currently use a Mach 3 Turbo to shave, but this thread has me intrigued. I remember my Grandad had a safety razor and I wouldn't mind giving one a try. However, I also shave my head several times a week. Would I be risking my life using a safety razor? :)

Um .... a safety razor is a little puppy on your face (once you get the hang of it), but I could think it would be way too difficult/dangerous to use for a head shave.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Would I be risking my life using a safety razor? :)

Nah,
    I thought the same back in January 2009 when I started using one, the only danger would be if you moved the blade sideways on your face :eek:

Seriously if you did this with a fusion or mach 3 you'd have the same result as you'd slice the face off yourself so its no different to any of them.

So as long as you use it like a razor should be used you'll be perfectly fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

That's what I'm thinking. I've been shaving for twenty years, but I'm very capable of making a mess of it and cutting myself, especially if I'm hasty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's what I'm thinking. I've been shaving for twenty years, but I'm very capable of making a mess of it and cutting myself, especially if I'm hasty.

You can get fast at using a DE, takes me less then 10min to shave in the morning now and thats generally a very good shave

Used to take me much the same with a fusion but the have was never as good

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

I took the plunge last week and ordered a Merkur 38C, some Gillette 7 O'Clock blades, an Omerga 31064 brush, an Alum block, a Styptic Pencil and a Mitchells Wool Fat soap and dish set. I purchased them from www.shaving.ie on Tuesday evening and they arrived on Thursday.

I was expecting to liberally nick myself the first time out so I waited until Saturday - when I don't have to go to work - before trying it. I didn't relish the prospect of arriving in the office with bloodstains on my shirt collar and bits of tissue stuck to various parts of my face.

I needn't have worried. The first shave went beautifully. I suffered a very light nick under my nose but the Styptic Pencil worked a treat and quickly removed any trace of blood.

The shaves from the razor are the closest I've ever experienced. Two passes, two lathers and you're done - about 15 minutes in all and with more practice I expect I'll be able to finish in 10.

I've just placed an order for a bottle of Floid Italian After Shave and I figure that shaving set-up will be a permanent fixture as far as I'm concerned. There is certainly no going back to the Gilette Sensor that was my staple.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Last few days I've gone back to using a Merkur 11C Open Comb Safety Razor. I'm glad I didn't sell it, needs a good bit more of an angle, compared to a regular safety razor.

Amalgan - thanks for reminding me I have one, I was very disappointed, very poor shaves with it so ditched it after a few shaves(with different blades)
    I must give it another go

Seven Worlds will Collide

Do.. you'll be surprised, as I was. I was working about my face very gingerly last time, also not keeping a steady angle on places like my chin.

I used it with Blue Lider today (Poland), a Russian Yellow Gillette blade and my Semogue 2000.

2x and chin, ten minutes. 'Cream-in-Brush', face lathering.

• Advertisement

With me,strangely,it was my cheeks that were the worst. I could still feel stubble after a couple of passes.

Just under the chin for myself. I thought it might be the TOBs (Taylor of Old Bond Street) giving me a better cut, but I've gone through Lider and LEA, just to get a feel for the razor.

I missed how solid the grip on the small Merkur handles are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Cabaal wrote: »
    the only danger would be if you moved the blade sideways on your face :eek:

This is how I cut myself, however it's not my face I cut, it's the end of my bloody nose. I've often gone to wipe a bit of cream away with the hand I hold my razor with but end up catching my nose slightly with the razor leaving a neat little nick on the outside of my nostril.

Jip wrote: »
    This is how I cut myself, however it's not my face I cut, it's the end of my bloody nose. I've often gone to wipe a bit of cream away with the hand I hold my razor with but end up catching my nose slightly with the razor leaving a neat little nick on the outside of my nostril.

Ouch,
    Actually talking about cuts, didn't really pay attention this morning and dug the corner of my DE into the corner of my lip this morning as I was shaving.

Couldn't get it to stop bleeding for ages, finally got it to stop around 10!

I shaved at 6.30 so it was bleeding a good long time,

First time I've ever done such a thing :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Actually talking about cuts, didn't really pay attention this morning and dug the corner of my DE into the corner of my lip this morning as I was shaving.

Couldn't get it to stop bleeding for ages, finally got it to stop around 10!
    Ow. :(

Don't you have a styptic pencil? I rarely need mine, but the damn thing works miracles when I do.

oscarBravo wrote: »

Don't you have a styptic pencil? I rarely need mine, but the damn thing works miracles when I do.

I have a alum bloc but it didn't make a lick of difference, mind you either did tissue or putting pressure on it for ages.

Guess the nick was too big for normal stuff to heal it,

I have a alum bloc but it didn't make a lick of difference, mind you either did tissue or putting pressure on it for ages.

Guess the nick was too big for normal stuff to heal it,
    There's about an order of magnitude of difference between the abilities of an alum block and a styptic pencil to heal a cut - I've heard that in some cases paramedics carry a version of the styptic pencil to help limit blood loss from wounds. An alum block will quickly stop those little oozing specks, but not a full-on cut.

It's worth having in your toolkit - even if you (hopefully!) never need it again.

+1 on the styptic. It will taste a bit salty on your lips, and will sting like hell, but it is the business for stemming those little accidents.

I tried to trim nose hair once using my DE, and made the mistake of doing it downwards. I made a tiny nick just inside my nostril, and thought I was going to collapse from blood-loss! It just laughed at my styptic :eek: [I don't have any problems when going upwards.]

bothyhead wrote: »
    I tried to trim nose hair once using my DE...
    :eek:

Dude, you really need to get one of these...

bothyhead.. :D I did exactly the same thing when I started, tried to shave away from the nostril and removed a nice chunk on the outside, lots and lots of blood, trickling nicely into the sink.

I do angle the razor into the nostril though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I have that proraso stuff, but I've said it before, while it's good for stemming the blood flow of a variety of nicks, you don't want to be going anywhere soon after applying. The first issue is that is leaves a visible whitish patch on your face, and secondly it tightens your skin up something nasty so ideally you want to wash it off after a while and reapply moisturiser or something similar.

bothyhead.. :D I did exactly the same thing when I started, tried to shave away from the nostril and removed a nice chunk on the outside, lots and lots of blood, trickling nicely into the sink.

And I bet like me, you only did it the once as well! :)

Just the once.. timid shaving for the rest of that week.

The Proraso gel is like Pine needle sap, very very sticky. I find a good 'normal' styptic pencil much more effective.

Connaught Shaving have five for five sterling.

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/styptic.html

The only problem with a classic styptic, they will dissolve before your very eyes if you don't dry them off properly after use.

I only used a Styptic once,bought in a local chemist.

It stung like a rabid wasp :eek:

Definitely a case of 'the cure worse than the disease' :D

It stung like a rabid wasp :eek:

Definitely a case of 'the cure worse than the disease' :D
    Hoo yeah, it stings - but sometimes that's preferable to bleeding like a stuck pig for four hours... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

:eek:

Dude, you really need to get one of these...
    Yes. I have one and it works! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

4025068593554091638vb.png

I cracked open a tub of Monsavon today. Very odd, imagine a shaving cream with a slight whiff of 'Sudocrem' & a scattering of spices. A soft soap with a very suet-like feel on the skin. It contains Tallow. The scent could be classed as 'medicated', if you weren't told what the product was beforehand.

It leaves your skin silky and velvety, just a very odd sensation. Lathers well, if a little thin, compared to some branded English creams, cured by some 'slapping' on after the scrub. Seems to have protective properties, with a minimum of irritation after a robust 3 pass shave (3 day growth).

Remember when chippers used suet? ..and the feeling on your fingers after handling the chips? ..well, your skin feels just a little bit 'muttony' after washing off, it really does seem to leave a film on the skin that protects.

I can't understand users reporting that they cannot lather with this product. I formed\shaped the product into a plastic mug, with a minimum of fuss.

I have a feeling I'll be mooching a tub or 3 from Euro hopping relatives.

Mühle R106 razor head. Gillette Fat Tech handle. Monsavon. 3 pass. Wilkinson 'Best Badger' budget brush. Gillette Black blade.

J'adore Monsavon ! ! !

I picked this up during the week and for €1.55 it's a bloody great soap.
    I tried it out in the hotel and thought it was just ok but the place I stayed in had hard water. Using the Monsavon improved greatly since I got home and tried it with the softer Irish water. It lathers up a storm and the tallow leaves your skin feeling great - hardly any need for a balm after.

I also picked up some Gillette bleu extra blades (€2.10 for 10 blades and they even had a further '2 for 1' offer on them so an absolute bargain!).

Other goodies picked up included a couple of varieties of Williams shaving cream which I have yet to try and some double sized Wilkinson Sword styptic pencils which were less than €3 each.

I was shocked by the quantity of shaving gear I got for twenty quid!

Monsavon really is a hidden gem, you can get it for as low as 1 euro, in the super sized supermarkets.

..some double sized Wilkinson Sword styptic pencils which were less than €3 each.

Gran Hermano, any chance of a pic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Quick question guys, what should the styptic pencil feel like? The one I have is quite hard, somewhat like a stick of chalk...

Advertisement