Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

That's it, I've also seen it as a powder stick, wrapped in foil, for dabbing. Some are pure white, some are marbled with little salt like crystals between the white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Amalgam wrote: »
    Gran Hermano, any chance of a pic?

No bother, I'll hopefully get a chance to unpack properly and take a quick snap over the weekend.

It's similar to this one:
    http://www4.schlecker.com/Bild.aspx?Typ=2&Code=4027800020102&land=DE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Does anywhere in Dublin sell them off the shelf? AFAIK L'Occtaine do one, but woldn't be convinced how good it is?

I managed to removed a spot yesterday with a Progress, and figure theres a good chance the scab will come off when I shave tomorrow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Gillo wrote: »
    Does anywhere in Dublin sell them off the shelf? AFAIK L'Occtaine do one, but woldn't be convinced how good it is?

I managed to removed a spot yesterday with a Progress, and figure theres a good chance the scab will come off when I shave tomorrow:(
    I have found it hard to get them in Ireland. Shaving.ie does them along with the Proraso gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Gillo wrote: »

I think you can get them in some pharmacies if you are looking for a bricks and mortar shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Quick question guys, what should the styptic pencil feel like? The one I have is quite hard, somewhat like a stick of chalk...

As it should be. The best one I've tried is made by Cyril R. Salter. Make sure to dry it off after use.

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Just bought a Merkur 11C open comb. I am a complete noob with DE shaving, and I can't wait to give it a shot once the stubble grows again.
    It feels pretty solid in comparison to the Gillette fusion crap I had before, and I am sure the badger brush and soap will make shaving enjoyable.

Wouldn't mind trying a straight, but they require alot of time and skill which I can't afford at present. Maybe someday in the future I will try one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Naikon wrote: »
    Just bought a Merkur 11C open comb. I am a complete noob with DE shaving, and I can't wait to give it a shot once the stubble grows again.
    It feels pretty solid in comparison to the Gillette fusion crap I had before, and I am sure the badger brush and soap will make shaving enjoyable.

Wouldn't mind trying a straight, but they require alot of time and skill which I can't afford at present. Maybe someday in the future I will try one.

To anyone starting with a DE razor, I always tell them to watch Mantics vids.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59&rclk=cti

He gives great tips and comparisons between razors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Just had a shave with the 11C. WOW, pretty great shave. Two passes and my face is as smooth as a babies arse. The lathered brush and sharp derby blades really are alot
    better than the multiblade gillette garbage you get in the shops. No irritation either. The blades are also dirt cheap which is nice. Time to get rid of the old 5 blade fusion razor.

Naikon wrote: »
    Just had a shave with the 11C. WOW, pretty great shave. Two passes and my face is as smooth as a babies arse. The lathered brush and sharp derby blades really are alot
    better than the multiblade gillette garbage you get in the shops. No irritation either. The blades are also dirt cheap which is nice. Time to get rid of the old 5 blade fusion razor.
    Congratulations. I'm about 8 months in and it gets better all the time. Still learning how to stretch the skin to deal with the awkward spots without rash or cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

My shaving scuttle arrived a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't access my old boards account, thanks to Julie at Dirty Bird Pottery for a great product,

58231371.jpg

The web type grooves really help in whipping up a great lather,

70173193.jpg

Heres a photo of my latest soap purchases, these will do me for a couple of years :)

86263562.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Hey Guys,
    Just bought myself a Merkur HD 34c.
    Bought it yesterday from the only online shop that didnt have "Not in Stock" slashed across the description, only to be told after I paid that they haven't got it in stock so it will be next week before I get it.
    Anyway, that aside, I want to make sure that this DE shaving is for me before spending lots of money on all the various creams, soaps, pre and after-shave treatments etc etc. So - can anybody recommend a soap to start off with? And also a blade to start with? I realise these may be all personal choice but is there a soap (or cream) that ticks all the boxes for a beginner.
    Finally (for now I'm sure), seeing as I have a week (:mad:) to wait before my first shave - how should I prepare? Should I let a beard grow, or shave two days prior, or shave the day before?
    In the meantime, I will watch all those recommended videos on youtube.

kildara wrote: »
    Anyway, that aside, I want to make sure that this DE shaving is for me before spending lots of money on all the various creams, soaps, pre and after-shave treatments etc etc.

If you revert back to the multi blade gillettes, you can still use the shaving soaps, creams and brushes. Beats crap out of a can anyday :D

Concerning blades, go for a sample-pack and try different types of blades, you'll find one that will match your skin type.
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Two-Of-A-Kind-DE-Blade-Sample-Pack.html
    http://www.connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html

I shave every second day, but then again it all depends on how fast your stubble grows.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    DonJose2 wrote: »
    If you revert back to the multi blade gillettes, you can still use the shaving soaps, creams and brushes. Beats crap out of a can anyday
    I don't use multi-blade gillettes (or similar) - I currently don't shave!
    Well, I use a hair clippers to keep the stubble short. I hate shaving. I end up with razor burn, rash, spots, holes, gashes...
    So, if this doesnt work it'll be back to the hair clippers and any cost now will have been in vain. But judging by this thread I wont regret it (here's hoping).
    So, is there a particular cream ideal for a beginner with sensitive skin?

The Cella or P160 soap is a great soap, cut a piece of and mold it into a shaving mug/bowl
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Cella-Shaving-Soap-Crema-Sapone.html
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/P160-Shaving-Soap-Soft.html

You'll need a shaving brush and you'll find one based on your budget
    http://www.shaving.ie/categories/Shaving-Brushes/

If you have sensitive skin stay away from aftershaves and a balm instead,
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Proraso-Liquid-Cream-Aftershave-Balm.html
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Geo-F-Trumper-Coral-Skin-Food.html

Hey Guys,
    Bought it yesterday from the only online shop that didnt have "Not in Stock" slashed across the description, only to be told after I paid that they haven't got it in stock so it will be next week before I get it

Merkur have not had any 34c's available since late December, or at least there has been a severe shortage since then.. and it looks like it will be another few weeks before they become available :(

There are a few 34g's (gold) floating around though... I prefer the chrome myself though.

I saw you were out of stock also. I would have considered ordering from your site based on reviews on this forum; but as I stay in the UK I thought I would have a better chance ordering here - not so it seems. I am hoping that they do indeed get them in when they say they will as I am quite looking forward to my first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I saw you were out of stock also. I would have considered ordering from your site based on reviews on this forum; but as I stay in the UK I thought I would have a better chance ordering here - not so it seems. I am hoping that they do indeed get them in when they say they will as I am quite looking forward to my first time!

I managed to buy a HD about 2 weeks ago, I just chekced that website today on the offchance but they have since joned the out of stock brigade too.

I hope your skin holds up to the shaving, I have only started shaving again in the past month, after 6 years of using a beard trimmer to keep my face trimmed (laziness more than skin irritation), your skin will be surprised initially but give it a little while, make sure you are shaving with the grain and it should be fine.

If you are itching to give it a try before the merkur arrives, I bought a boots DE for about 5 euro and found it adequate (the merkur is much nicer), 3 or 4 weeks later and I have become one of these DE evangelists telling everybody to give the finger to the multi blade rip off artists and cannot wait to shave every morning wondering which blade I will try next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

DonJose2 wrote: »
    My shaving scuttle arrived a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't access my old boards account, thanks to Julie at Dirty Bird Pottery for a great product

That is a thing of beauty. I really have to get my hands on one.

• Advertisement

+1, I got jealous when i saw that pic...:pac: The webbing looks great.

Thanks, its worth ever penny, I wasn't stung by customs either. Its a nice heavy quality scuttle and a perfect size for whipping up warm lather. I usually mould some Cella or P160 soap to the bottom and whip from there. Before I shower I fill the bowl and base with hot tap water and leave my shaving brush in the water to soak. When I finish showering I empty the water, the refill the base with more hot water, shake the excess water from the shaving brush and whip some lather. Feels great to shave with warm lather.

ScottStorm wrote: »
    I hope your skin holds up to the shaving, I have only started shaving again in the past month, after 6 years of using a beard trimmer to keep my face trimmed (laziness more than skin irritation), your skin will be surprised initially but give it a little while, make sure you are shaving with the grain and it should be fine.

If you are itching to give it a try before the merkur arrives, I bought a boots DE for about 5 euro and found it adequate (the merkur is much nicer), 3 or 4 weeks later and I have become one of these DE evangelists telling everybody to give the finger to the multi blade rip off artists and cannot wait to shave every morning wondering which blade I will try next.
    Wilkinson Sword blades are quite gentle and you can get a black plastic-coated Wilkinson Sword razor cheaply in Boots etc. Not the worst way to start; as ScottStorm says, just shave with the grain for the first few days. Also try to stretch your skin with your non-shaving hand so that it is taut as the razor moves along it, and try not to put any pressure on the razor.

But when you get your Merkur, you will enter a different world.

Bought it yesterday from the only online shop that didnt have "Not in Stock" slashed across the description, only to be told after I paid that they haven't got it in stock so it will be next week before I get it.
    Apologies for hijacking the thread -
    I have been contacted by shop I bough this saying they wont have it in now until March. And the are offering the 23c as an alternative.
    Should I take the 23c or hold out for the 34c in March?

Should I take the 23c or hold out for the 34c in March?

The shaving performance between the two razor heads will be indentical. The razors do have different lenght and width to their handles though. The 23c has a long, thinner handle. It is down to personal preference. Both razors will have the same grip and finish, in the hand.

Bear in mind that there is a price difference between the two products. Look to have the difference offset against another product, or refunded\credit note.

Well, I couldn't hold out! So I agreed to the 23c. For the same money as the 34c, I am now getting:
    Merkur 23 razor
    Proraso Aloe & Green & Tea Shaving Cream Pot
    10 various razor blades
    Art of Shaving Testers
    Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera After Shave Lotion tester
    Plus Special delivery to get to me tomorrow.

Saves me now having to buy the extra few bits.
    I had my dads old brushes sent to me, they arrived today, but I think they are just a synthetic bristle brush, albiet as ould as Methuselah!

Edit: Just checked the undeside of one of the brushes - its a Culmak Spartan. According to B&B its a boar brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I picked up a Palmolive shaving stick in Tesco and tried it for the first time during the week. I used the shaving stick along with Taylor's shaving cream intending to create a super lather. I did the usual prep in the shower, and then applied the shaving stick to my face/neck. I thought it was quite difficult to apply the shaving stick to a wet face, but I managed to get some on with a bit of persistance. I then brushed on the Taylor's shaving cream as usual and started shaving, but I found that the Palmolive stuff was constantly clogging the razor.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't think I'll be using this stuff again.

I find the Palmolive cream works well, but the smell is a bit umm.. 'industrial'. If you're up for another go at a shaving stick, Ali's Barber on Aungier Street sell Arko. I've also seen Erasmic shaving sticks in one or two Chemists, South County Dublin.

Clogging sounds like you haven't lathered up the deposits left by the stick?

---

Using a Merkur 11C with Russian yellow Gillette blades these past few weeks. Surprised at how quick the yellow Gillette rust. I use a blade a week. Pretty rusty by the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    Was in north Germany recently and picked up this for 79c.
    Pics00002.jpg
    Expected it to be crap but its suprisingly good.

Not much fragrance, bit like the palmolive but actually nicer and excellent lubrication, found shaving with it a doddle.
    Anyone ever see it before??

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Think Il try out a new shaving cream and maybe some After shave

Im torn between the Taylors avacado and the GeoF Trumpers.
    Both great quality im sure, but could one be better than the other?

For after shave Im leaning towards this Taylors edition - mostly because it looks fantastic.

Damn you Chris and your ever growing selection, Damn you!!!

Advertisement