Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Think Il try out a new shaving cream and maybe some After shave

Im torn between the Taylors avacado and the GeoF Trumpers.
    Both great quality im sure, but could one be better than the other?

For after shave Im leaning towards this Taylors edition - mostly because it looks fantastic.

Damn you Chris and your ever growing selection, Damn you!!!

The TOBS Avocado is my favourite TOBS, think it's the avocado oil in it.
    The DR Harris creams are also well worth looking at, I find them one of the best 'premium' creams.
    Aftershave wise I'm loving the DR Harris Sandalwood at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi All
    Was in north Germany recently and picked up this for 79c.
    Pics00002.jpg
    Expected it to be crap but its suprisingly good.

Not much fragrance, bit like the palmolive but actually nicer and excellent lubrication, found shaving with it a doddle.
    Anyone ever see it before??

HB
    Florena are a cheap toiletries brand in Germany. They make face washes etc. Used that cream once or twice but prefered the palmolive which seems to be in every shop over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smart Guy

I would definely recommend the Taylors Avacado. I use it regular lovely silky smooth lather. As for the aftershave the only Taylors aftershave I have used is the Sanndal wood which I love. Keep an eye out in your local TK max they usually have these products every now and again at very reasonable prices

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Probably a silly question, but...
    I have been using a shaving cream (Proraso Aloe & Green Tea Shaving Cream). This is advertised as a shaving cream, but it says Shaving Soap on the tub. For anyone who hasn't used it - it is pretty thick. It wont pour out (like I would assume a cream should), but you you could stick your finger into it with a little difficulty. It is like a very thick, heavy, maybe concentrated cream - so maybe it is indeed a soft soap?
    When I lathered using this, I took a bit of the cream out of the tub and lathered in a seperate bowl.
    I am only at this lark just over two weeks now (plus the brush isn't a world beater) but the later was fine (imo).

All was going good. Yesterday I was in TK Maxx and saw a shaving cream "Pecksniffs Fern Shaving Cream". This is the opposite of the above! It is advertised as a cream, but (to me) is a proper soap. It's hard in the jar, you wont push your finger into it - you may, with some difficulty, indent it with your knuckle, though you could mark it with your nail.
    Using this I had to lather up a bit in the actual tub and then transfer into the bowl as I always do (as the bowl will float on the water to keep it slightly warmed).

So my question is - how do I properly lather using the above products? Or is there a right way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

kildara, how do you find the Pecksniffs? It gets so-so reviews online. TKMaxx in St Stephens Green just about stock only that recently, the lemon smells and looks lively.

I lather on the soaps when I use them. Then dip the brush in the sink to add some water, then onto my face.. YMMV

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    kildara, how do you find the Pecksniffs? It gets so-so reviews online. TKMaxx in St Stephens Green just about stock only that recently, the lemon smells and looks lively.

I lather on the soaps when I use them. Then dip the brush in the sink to add some water, then onto my face.. YMMV
    I am no connoisseur, but, I found it good - maybe left my face a little tight, but that could easily have been the styptic pencil applied either.
    I will use it the next few times and get back to you.

What is YMMV?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Your Method May Vary (I assume)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Just wondering about those soaps and creams in TK Maxx: soaps and creams have a limited life after which the ingredients deteriorate and they don't work as well. Is the TK Maxx stuff out of date?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Michael G wrote: »
    Just wondering about those soaps and creams in TK Maxx: soaps and creams have a limited life after which the ingredients deteriorate and they don't work as well. Is the TK Maxx stuff out of date?
    Interesting point, although I've never had any problems with anything I've picked up from them. Only thing is they can be hit and miss stockwise, but thats to be expected with TK Maxx.

Using Perma-Sharp these past few days. I've found the blade to be a bit dull and lacking feedback, say.. compared to a Russian Yellow Gillette or Gillette Black (India).

Irritated chin too, red dots, which is something I haven't seen in a few months.

Disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Using Perma-Sharp these past few days. I've found the blade to be a bit dull and lacking feedback, say.. compared to a Russian Yellow Gillette or Gillette Black (India).

Irritated chin too, red dots, which is something I haven't seen in a few months.

Disappointing.

Yes, I was expecting a bit more from them too as they would be considered the premium blade in Turkey. They seem to be made in Russia in the same place as the Gillette 7 O Clock Yellow and Green packs. I would take the Gillettes over the perma sharps.

Got a delivery today of a Best Badger Brush and also Edwin Jagger Sandlewood soap - wow what a fantastic smell!
    Getting excited about tonights shave...

Also got some Personna blades that I will give a try.
    I am currently using Tesco's own brand blades - which I find great. A few nicks and cuts - which I think is down to technique, but overall a nice blade for me.
    When I got the razor I got with it some Apollo No 10 blades (Solingen made). Cut the face off myself and am apprehensive as a result to return to them.

Next order* will include an Alum block.

*I thought this DE shaving was supposed to save money...

kildara wrote: »
    Getting excited about tonights shave...

Also got some Personna blades that I will give a try.
    I am currently using Tesco's own brand blades - which I find great.

:) Tesco are (apparently) ASR Personna rebrands.

Have a look here for some extensive Personna blade details.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51858

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

kildara wrote: »
    When I got the razor I got with it some Apollo No 10 blades (Solingen made). Cut the face off myself and am apprehensive as a result to return to them.

I would bin them.. As far as I know they are/were made for industrial use.:o

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I would bin them.. As far as I know they are/were made for industrial use.:o
    I'm glad I can now blame the tools rather than the hands!
    These are the offending articles, for anybody interested.
    IMG_6966002.jpg
    IMG_6969005.jpg
    Oddly enough (although maybe not, judging by your post Shaving.ie) the only place I saw these online after I searched for them was for sale as a vintage blade at £0.99p a pop. Maybe I will make a fortune on them!
    On keeping with the general good will in this thread, I have 9 of these left, if anybody wants some, pm me with your address and I will stick a few in an envelope.
    While I am uploading photo's - here are the brushes I had prior to todays delivery:
    IMG_6970006.jpg
    Left is an old boar brush belonging to my dad, middle and right are the same make - I have been using the one on the right for the past three weeks or so.

And here is the new one:
    IMG_6977013.jpg
    IMG_6988024.jpg
    Just about to be used. Hope I do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    Been DE shaving for about a year and love my Merkur HD.
    Although I love the safety razor, my goal was always to progress to a straight razor.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a first straight razor?
    Also, I'm guessing my flawless shaving technique with the HD will be of no advantage to me with a straight, anything like mantic vids for straight razor shaving?

Cheers

HB

Hi All
    Been DE shaving for about a year and love my Merkur HD.
    Although I love the safety razor, my goal was always to progress to a straight razor.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a first straight razor?
    Also, I'm guessing my flawless shaving technique with the HD will be of no advantage to me with a straight, anything like mantic vids for straight razor shaving?

Cheers

HB

Have a look at http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/
    You want to make sure you get a razor that's honed professionally and not just 'factory honed'. I'd stick to a 5/8 or 6/8 half to full hollow ground to start - it'll give you nice average flexibility, blade width and length.

My first straight was: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12124

You're lathering and prep experience from using DEs will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanrua

ive used a cheap wilkinson sword about $7 with 5 blades from any chemist, and got a pack of 10 blades in terrisales on Abbey St. for $2.10.
    no problems, definatly better than the multi-blade options.
    havent tries the merkurs etc yet though

Have a look at http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/
    You want to make sure you get a razor that's honed professionally and not just 'factory honed'. I'd stick to a 5/8 or 6/8 half to full hollow ground to start - it'll give you nice average flexibility, blade width and length.

My first straight was: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12124

You're lathering and prep experience from using DEs will stand to you.

Cheers for the reply Gran Hermano.
    Any chance theres a decent straight razor for say, less than 30 quid approx.
    Will eventually buy a good one but just need a starter. Cheapest one on www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk was bout 80 quid..... thats high end Merkur territory.

Cheers again

HB

Cheers for the reply Gran Hermano.
    Will eventually buy a good one but just need a starter. Cheapest one on www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk was bout 80 quid..... thats high end Merkur territory.

Cheers again

HB

You'll have to check out the adverts on the likes of Badger & Blade if you want to keep the price low. Straights are more expensive than DEs and you'll also need to budget for a strop.

My advice would be to sign up on B&B and introduce yourself then post a WTB advert on the forum saying you're looking for a shave ready straight to learn on.

Here's a link to a B&Bs guide to shaving with straights.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28547
    Don't worry about the honing part if you get a shave-ready blade.

• Advertisement

Again, cheers dude

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

lads,trumpers coral skin food is the best for prep ,I've just ordered mine from <snip> they are back online! great stuff

Thanks for signing up to boards to tell us that :rolleyes:

Besides one of our favourite sellers in Ireland is cheaper for the product and the postage...must try harder

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

If you are not a fan of shaving soap but have some lying around then this is a great way to use it up. You make a watery lather with the soap, apply to face and leave while you make real lather and get the rest of your shaving gear togther. Rinse face well with warm water and then apply the real lather and shave in the usual way.

I've found this to give a truly excellent beard preparation before shaving.

Thanks MT I was just about to bin a tub of Wilkinson Sword soap - that's all it's able to make is watery lather !

Very 'Lynx' type scent off it though..maybe I will bin it :D

Very 'Lynx' type scent off it though..maybe I will bin it :D

Nah! Try the technique above first.

I was just about to bin a tub of Wilkinson Sword soap

Is that the blue one that Tesco stock?

Is that the blue one that Tesco stock?

Yea - that's the one, if you haven't tried it already don't bother.
    Of course YMMV ..as they say...:D

I have picked it up to have a gander, I was more taken aback at the Brut and Old Spice sitting beside each other, bit of a flash back.. all that's missing is the Denim..

I finally gave in and bought my first straight razor this week. I got one of the starter kits from Steve and it works out at about €110 all in, including strop, razor, strop paste, etc. It doesn't get much cheaper than that for evrything you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

MediaTank wrote: »
    I finally gave in and bought my first straight razor this week. I got one of the starter kits from Steve and it works out at about €110 all in, including strop, razor, strop paste, etc. It doesn't get much cheaper than that for evrything you need.

Best of luck with that, I'm not that brave yet, let us know how it goes and how close a shave you get.

Advertisement