Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    I have picked it up to have a gander, I was more taken aback at the Brut and Old Spice sitting beside each other, bit of a flash back.. all that's missing is the Denim..

What did you go for Brut or Old Spice? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I finally took the plunge a few weeks ago and I'm not really impressed at all.
    Takes too long and does not get as close at all. I have to make 4 or 5 passes, relater 3-4 times and its just not close enough, I can still see and feel the stubble when I finished, the razor just won't cut any closer. Takes too long too.

My electric razor gives a closer shave and lasts longer, same with a Mach 3. Plus they take about 10 mins max. With my safely razor it's taking twice as long and just not doing the job as all.

I finally took the plunge a few weeks ago and I'm not really impressed at all.
    Takes too long and does not get as close at all. I have to make 4 or 5 passes, relater 3-4 times and its just not close enough, I can still see and feel the stubble when I finished, the razor just won't cut any closer. Takes too long too.

My electric razor gives a closer shave and lasts longer, same with a Mach 3. Plus they take about 10 mins max. With my safely razor it's taking twice as long and just not doing the job as all.

Yes it does take longer, but it should be as close or better than an electric. Three passes should leave you BBS. Perhaps blade angle is an issue? What razor and blade combo are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MediaTank wrote: »
    Yes it does take longer, but it should be as close or better than an electric. Three passes should leave you BBS. Perhaps blade angle is an issue? What razor and blade combo are you using?

I'm using the Merkur Progress with merkur blades, I got the pack with 8 different brands but I haven't tried the others yet. I've tried the settings 1-5 on it but I don't find makes much difference.

The 'ol mug does be fairly tender for a day or two after, no redness or burn but it feels very uncomfortable. I tend to shave daily, so if I use the merkur, I have to switch to the electric or M3 for the next few days till my face recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

If you have Gillette 7 O'Clock Green's try them, i've been using them and find them to be a great blade. Also tried the Derbys they are good too but didn't find them as good as the gillette greens.

• Advertisement

I'm using the Merkur Progress with merkur blades, I got the pack with 8 different brands but I haven't tried the others yet. I've tried the settings 1-5 on it but I don't find makes much difference.

The 'ol mug does be fairly tender for a day or two after, no redness or burn but it feels very uncomfortable. I tend to shave daily, so if I use the merkur, I have to switch to the electric or M3 for the next few days till my face recovers.

You're spot on with the equipment so. I'd suggest that you try another blade or two and turn the razor down to 1. Watch the blade angle and see how you get on.

Does the razor feel like it's dragging over your stubble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As mentioned by the others, try some different blades. The Merkur blades are known for giving poor results. What other blades were in the sample pack? Try the Gillette Green or Red Personna blades. I can't help thinking alternating between DE, M3 and electric will do your skin no favours.

Try sticking with just the Progress on a setting of 2 or lower with a Red Personna for a week. I could never get a close shave with an electric, if
    a DE gives me a 9/10 on theclose shave scale, a M3 was 7/10 and an electric was 4/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Hmmm... what's your prep like and which cream\ soap are you using? If you're still using something from a can I would suggest there's part of the problem.

The stubble needs to be well hydrated and soft and this requires copious amounts of hot water, hence the shave after a shower option, and decent soap or cream of which there are lots of recommendations. I find that some just don't work, no matter how traditional, and others are pure joy.

If you have decent soaps and creams the lather may be too weak or too cold. Try leaving the brush in very hot water for a few minutes, don't shake off all the water, and warm the bowl with boiling water before mixing the lather.

Also, I noted that you feel 20 mins is too long. Well, not for wet shaving. 10 mins isn't long enough to enjoy the scent of the cream and feel of the brush before setting about wiping the hair away. 20 mins will get you a decent shave with practice and from there you can get as fast as you feel is safe.

If you want really fast - go for a straight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuuvuOzB7U

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I finally gave in and bought my first straight razor this week. I got one of the starter kits from Steve and it works out at about €110 all in, including strop, razor, strop paste, etc. It doesn't get much cheaper than that for evrything you need.

Good stuff. I got the same kit at xmas. was it the Dovo 5/8 best quality?

I am flying with it now, had to use my DE the other day was in a hurry and it just wasn't the same

I am flying with it now, had to use my DE the other day was in a hurry and it just wasn't the same

I'm with you there Sean, once you learn the technique nothing else comes close.

Can't help wondering if a certain golfer would be returning to play if his wife found his collection of straights :-)

• Advertisement

That's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

My Dovo is still in its box; I have used it a few times experimentally but just haven't found time yet to take the plunge properly. Anyway I'm still refining my DE technique.

Do you switch hands to shave the opposite side of your face, as some of the experts seem to recommend? And have you found that stropping keeps it keen enough or have you had to hone it as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I finally gave in and bought my first straight razor this week. I got one of the starter kits from Steve and it works out at about €110 all in, including strop, razor, strop paste, etc. It doesn't get much cheaper than that for evrything you need.

Who is this Steve geezer of which you speak?

Bambi wrote: »
    Who is this Steve geezer of which you speak?

Steve Dempster - owner of invisibleedge.co.uk

Michael G wrote: »
    Do you switch hands to shave the opposite side of your face, as some of the experts seem to recommend? And have you found that stropping keeps it keen enough or have you had to hone it as well?

I'm new to the straight, but I found I don't need to swop hands - just use the other side of the blade. You only need to hone every 6 months or so AFAIK, stropping keeps the blade plenty sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ah i see, i was only looking at that site a few days back, tempting..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Right handed and always continue to shave with my right when shaving either the right or left hand side of my neck or face

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Was in getting a haircut on Wednesday and asked the barber (Turkish guy) if they sold any of their shaving gear. He said they didn't but would if I wanted it, so I bought an Alum block off him:
    AlumBlock.jpg
    Used it last night, face was a little tight after it though - is this normal?
    Also, to make sure I am using it correctly: after rinsing my face with cold water (when finished shaving) I just rubbed it all over my face...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

That link didn't work but Google suggested the following link, is that the same guy.

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/

For somebody starting off what would you need?

DonJose wrote: »
    That link didn't work but Google suggested the following link, is that the same guy.

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/

For somebody starting off what would you need?

Yes that's him. Buy one of the starter kits, it has everything you need and saves a few bob too.

• Advertisement

kildara wrote: »
    Used it last night, face was a little tight after it though - is this normal?
    Also, to make sure I am using it correctly: after rinsing my face with cold water (when finished shaving) I just rubbed it all over my face...

Yes, that's what it's supposed to do. Make sure you towel your face dry after applying it. If you find it's too tight then apply a moisturiser too.

Buy one of the starter kits, it has everything you need and saves a few bob too.

Cheers, feck it I might as well take the plunge. How do you rate straight shaves to DE shaves?

DonJose wrote: »
    Cheers, feck it I might as well take the plunge. How do you rate straight shaves to DE shaves?

Bit early to say yet as I'm still learning. There is a certain appeal though to hold the sharpest piece of metal you can get to ones face and then using it to shave :D

I ordered a straight package from Steve a couple of hours ago and its already been shipped, great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'm new to the straight, but I found I don't need to swop hands - just use the other side of the blade. You only need to hone every 6 months or so AFAIK, stropping keeps the blade plenty sharp.

I never knew that, I always assumed a straight was slightly concave on one side.. and that was the side you kept facing out from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I never knew that, I always assumed a straight was slightly concave on one side.. and that was the side you kept facing out from you.
    No, straight is straight :D but I thought from watching the videos that real men switched hands. I'm glad to see it isn't necessary. I was doing quite well shaving with my left hand, which is the one I write with, but was anxious about having to use the other one.

It's wedge shaped and concave on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Morning chaps!

Right there is 160 pages to trawl through but I'll be cheeky and throw my question to the wizened shaving moguls. After watching mantic59s videos I'm going to take the plunge.

Shaving.ie from the posts I've read seems to be the place to order from.

I'm looking at the starter kit but there are plenty of options and not sure which one is the best?

I have wiry facial hair that grows at odd angles (for some reason it grows in spirals near my locks? :confused:) and with a bit of length in it the grain is inconsistent.

Any advice? On what razor, what shave cream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Morning chaps!

Right there is 160 pages to trawl through but I'll be cheeky and throw my question to the wizened shaving moguls. After watching mantic59s videos I'm going to take the plunge.

I'm looking at the starter kit but there are plenty of options and not sure which one is the best?

I have wiry facial hair that grows at odd angles (for some reason it grows in spirals near my locks? :confused:) and with a bit of length in it the grain is inconsistent.

For a starter razor, I'd recommend any of the following:
    -Merkur Progress (either normal or longhandled model)
    - Merkur HD 34c
    -Muhle R89

Proraso or Taylors of Old Bond St creams are easy to lather and a good starting point.

• Advertisement

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Morning chaps!

Muhle R106 to me is better than the Merkur HD as a starter - razor alignment is better and the shave smoother because of this. The blade angle is good for both novices and the experienced.

Merkur Slant 37C or 39C if you want a longer handle is also excellent. Not normally recommended for new comers but I disagree. It is more "aggressive" which means a little more care is required but is a dream shaver for strong whiskers or differing angles.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream is excellent and has a very interesting fougere scent while being designed to be less inclined to irritate.

Musgo Real shaving cream is fantastic.

Option 1. R106 and Taylors - modern metrosexual
    Option 2. Slant and Musgo - old school testosterone
    Option 3. R106 and Musgo - alternative to option 1
    Option 4. A bleeding edge sharp straight and Musgo.

If you don't already have a decent badger brush - get one. Kent BK4 is a great start - silver tip at a reasonable price.

Another must have is a styptic pencil. Cheap but effective ones are available at all good chemists and pharmacies. Mistakes happen, attention distracted - one of these will mean you can still wear a white shirt.

Welcome to the world of the wet :-)

Advertisement