Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Option 1. R106 and Taylors - modern metrosexual

:D

Nice to see someone talking the Mühle R106 up. The finish on the head is very nice. Manufactured by Edwin Jagger. The shave is smooth, rather than mild. Depends very much how you handle it.

Merkur razors have great grip though, which is reassuring for someone starting out on the DE road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Amalgam wrote: »

Nice to see someone talking the Mühle R106 up. The finish on the head is very nice. Manufactured by Edwin Jagger. The shave is smooth, rather than mild. Depends very much how you handle it.

Merkur razors have great grip though, which is reassuring for someone starting out on the DE road.

Cheers Amalgam, I'm open to correction but I thought Mühle made them for Jagger?

Agree on the grip - There are two R106 finishes, smooth black or chrome. The chrome has the better grip and would be my choice.

If you go for the smooth black here's a handy tip - rub your fingers with an alum block before you pick it up to enhance the grip.

Also helps skin to skin grip if you rub the fingertips on your other hand. Great if you're a straight user and want to get a good stretch on the cheeks.

On a side note - so far I've only used Feathers in the R106 and the results are excellent, even for daily shaving.
    I've used almost everything in the Slant and while Feathers are great in it if there are a few days growth, it needs a milder blade if you intend to shave with it every day. But each to their own as ymmv applies, however I would avoid Feathers until the technique is sorted.

I'd be surprised if Mühle manufactured the razor head.

The finish on the head, the type of light reflected, suggests a Pewter or Silver like sheen, totally at odds with Merkur or Parker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

I'd be surprised if Mühle manufactured the razor head.

The finish on the head, the type of light reflected, suggests a Pewter or Silver like sheen, totally at odds with Merkur or Parker.

I stand corrected - the heads _are_ made by Jagger but hard chromed. Wish I'd bought a Jagger now :)

BigDuffman, please substitute or add Edwin Jagger for R106 - same head so same result but lots more choice of handle. There's one to match every bathroom if you win the Lotto...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've been using a Muhle R89 with blue gillettes for the past month or so. I can't believe I wasted all that money on Merkurs. The Muhle R89 is an EXCELLENT razor and my favourite to date. Has anybody tried the following indian gillettes??? Not like I need any extra blades :)

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Gillette-365-DE-Blades.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

DonJose wrote: »
    I've been using a Muhle R89 with blue gillettes for the past month or so. I can't believe I wasted all that money on Merkurs. The Muhle R89 is an EXCELLENT razor and my favourite to date. Has anybody tried the following indian gillettes??? Not like I need any extra blades :)

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Gillette-365-DE-Blades.html
    I am doing quite well with my Progress (long handle) and, shameful as it may be, Tesco blades. Wilkinson Sword blades are perfect with my late father's sixty-year-old Gillette. I find Feathers are great but will sooner or later cut you or give you a rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Michael G wrote: »
    Progress (long handle) and, shameful as it may be, Tesco blades.

I find the Tesco blades(and Shaving Shack Unbranded which are the same I think) are very good in my super speeds. Good for 4 shaves

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I am doing quite well with my Progress (long handle) and, shameful as it may be, Tesco blades. Wilkinson Sword blades are perfect with my late father's sixty-year-old Gillette. I find Feathers are great but will sooner or later cut you or give you a rash.
    Nothing wrong with the Tesco blades. They are just one of the many varients containing Israeli made platinum Personna's.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I find the Tesco blades(and Shaving Shack Unbranded which are the same I think) are very good in my super speeds. Good for 4 shaves

I believe they are the same alright, certainly from my experience.
    Still prefer my Derbys over the shaving shack/tesco blades though :)

Which reminds me I have loads of the unbranded blades to get rid of...

My blade choices lately. I am leaning more towards the, 'Russian Yellow', which are very very sturdy and heave-ho in the razor. A predictable shave.

gillettefamily.jpg

Chris (shaving.ie) finally has the entire, 'Gillette Family' in stock now.

Finishing off a tube of ToBS Rose, after a week or three using Monsavon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Summer is kind of here, so I've switched from the sandalwood etc. shaving creams to more herbal and citrus ones. This morning was Salter Sublime Citrus, which is well sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It's my birthday!
    Getting my first DE razor, Merker 34c as part of Shaving.ie's lovely starter kit.

Have about 4 days of stubble (stopped shaving as soon as I found I was getting it :p)

Glee...

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

hi lads, this is my first time posting in this forum but ive been reading for the past while with some interest!
    So..... i took the plunge and bought myself The Basic Essentials Safety Razor Starter Kit from shaving.ie! up graded the razor to the muhle R89.
    cant wait for it to come and give it a go!

murf313 wrote: »
    So..... i took the plunge and bought myself The Basic Essentials Safety Razor Starter Kit from shaving.ie! up graded the razor to the muhle R89.
    cant wait for it to come and give it a go!
    I'm at it for a year now. It just gets better and better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Ya, its nice to see. I started DE shaving a few months back and I use a Mühle R106. I get a nice shave from it and it looks nice as well. The only complaint I'd have with it is its short handle.

Lets say I used a new blade once then am unable to shave for a few days, how long could the blade be left unused before it became uncomfortable to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

As long as it gets the chance to dry and stay dry it should not deteriorate over time.

I done had a shave today, 3rd one. Was fantastic. Got that little bit of stubble either side of my Adams Apple, could never get that!

Rumour has it that this keeps getting better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just about to order The Basic Essentials starter kit with a Muhle R89 and a gilette green pack.... Anyone have any other reccomendations before I order.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Just about to order The Basic Essentials starter kit with a Muhle R89 and a gilette green pack.... Anyone have any other reccomendations before I order.;)

I got the exact same last week. Great set. The one thing I would have liked is a moisturiser of some sort for afterwards, so maybe you could check for a good one.

• Advertisement

I got the exact same last week. Great set. The one thing I would have liked is a moisturiser of some sort for afterwards, so maybe you could check for a good one.
    TOBS West Indian Extract of Limes. Delightful to use, and the bottle seems to last forever. Or you could just use Witch Hazel, or Aloe Vera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Iceland's recent contribution to causing chaos to air travel meant I not only had an extended trip across mainland Europe but I also had some time to check out some of the shaving products on offer
    in the local stores.

Apart from the French Monsavon soap mentioned and praised elsewhere on this thread, another product that gets my vote is the Nivea shaving cream for under 2 euro a tube. It works great and is a complete bargain at the price. Great lather, fresh smell and skin feels conditioned after use.

I was also amused to see the Nivea sensitive balm on sale in most places for around the 4 euro mark. Maybe Nivea wouldn't need the half price or 2 for 1 offers they run here if we had that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just had my second shave with my muhle. The first time I cut myself 2 times but overall it was a great shave. :D This time round my skin has either toughened up or i'm doing it better because no cuts.:p Can't wait for round 3....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Over the last year I've tried dozens of shaving creams and soaps from all over the world and ranging in pice from cheap to expensive. Bearing this in mind I was shocked to find not only is one of the cheapest options also one of the easiest to find locally in Ireland but also a bloody great option!

On a whim over the long weekend I decided to revist Palmolive's shaving cream and shaving soap stick. You can easily pick them up in Tesco and Superquinn for a couple of quid. Teamed up with a Shark blade I got as good a lather as i get from any other cream/soap. The lather ticked all the boxes for a good shave and my skin felt lighter and cleaner after compared to my normal soaps.

Any other Palmolive fans about? Whilst the product doesn't have the sense of luxury compared to others at a fraction of the cost of others and ease of availability I'll be buying again.

Oddly, I was eyeing up the remnants of a green tube of Palmolive, I am keen to see how it behaves with the open comb Merkur 11C.

Any other Palmolive fans about? Whilst the product doesn't have the sense of luxury compared to others at a fraction of the cost of others and ease of availability I'll be buying again.
    Normally I use Proraso Sensitive, but I have used Palmolive sticks for years when I visit my mother, though it might be worth mentioning that the water where she lives is much softer than in my own area. Wet face, rub stick over beard, lather with the cheap bristle brush I bought 30 years ago which I leave in her house with the Palmolive stick, and away you go. As good as products costing twenty times as much, which makes it even more satisfactory.

TOBS West Indian Extract of Limes.
    Sorry, that should of course have been Trumper's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Palmolive stick - best lather to effort ratio in my experience - Its' problem is it's too cheap, if it was a tenner each we'd be raving about it :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Palmolive stick - best lather to effort ratio in my experience - Its' problem is it's too cheap, if it was a tenner each we'd be raving about it :D

Aye, I've been using the 'toothpaste' style tube and think it's great, excellent lather from it, nice scent too!!
    I was in Tesco the last day and found the stick for 59 cent :eek:. Works fine, but I find it takes a bit more effort to work up a lather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I just dipped my toe in the safety razor pool this evening after months of being unhappy with the shave from my Gillette Sensor Excel which I've used for 10 years.

Got a Wilkinson Sword Classic and I'm absolutely flabbergasted at the difference :D I've just got a super smooth shave with no bumps.

Advertisement