Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Bband: Having terrible issue's with it

Options
  • 27-12-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hey

I have this broadband for a good 3 years now and has been all good only some probs,

But the last 4 days Im having awfull trouble the internet keeps coming and going , it could come back n work for 5 mins then be gone for hours, it shows the red light over 'internet'
    I really need broadband at this time. Id be suprised if I can even post this as it always goes :( and on top of that, when its back, the download speed is awfull

Im have 3mb, Netopia 2247,

anyone else having trouble ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

akenny01 wrote: »
    Hey

I have this broadband for a good 3 years now and has been all good only some probs,

But the last 4 days Im having awfull trouble the internet keeps coming and going , it could come back n work for 5 mins then be gone for hours, it shows the red light over 'internet'
    I really need broadband at this time. Id be suprised if I can even post this as it always goes :( and on top of that, when its back, the download speed is awfull

Im have 3mb, Netopia 2247,

anyone else having trouble ?

Log into the router at 192.168.1.254 and post your line stats here. IF you've added any new phones, Sky boxes etc lately, try unplugging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

not added any phones or sky at all in a good while, em should I wait till internet goes again to take the internet stats?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

not added any phones or sky at all in a good while, em should I wait till internet goes again to take the internet stats?

Any time will do, but getting them when you have access and without would help most.

Spear wrote: »
    Any time will do, but getting them when you have access and without would help most.

ok :) which stats do I take exactly? lol :)

thanks

ok :) which stats do I take exactly? lol :)

thanks

They're normally under expert mode -> troubleshooting -> DSL or a variation thereof. You're looking for attenuation, SNR margin or the like.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    They're normally under expert mode -> troubleshooting -> DSL or a variation thereof. You're looking for attenuation, SNR margin or the like.

while connected i get this
    Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 23.50 20.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 15.00 10.00
    CRC Errors 823 3

and I'll post one when im not connected, when I get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

while connected i get this

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 23.50 20.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 15.00 10.00
    CRC Errors 823 3

and I'll post one when im not connected, when I get a chance
    Thats what we need, I removed the spoiler quote, You'll not get any stats when not connected.

You've got a very good line judging by your stats, well capable of much higher speeds.

cool

also guys Ive noticed today I cannot connect to msn, It says theres a problem with your internet connection etc etc, but Im online , I dont get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Does the Dsl light on Your router go red while You got no internet? Have You got another pc to test your connection with?

Run a Malware scanner like Malwarebytes sounds like You got a pc problem not an internet one.

get a red light on my internet, dsl shows green,,

Doesnt work on my laptop either :(

but hey its been working fine for the last hour lets hope thats the end of that problem :D

• Advertisement

get a red light on my internet, dsl shows green,,

Doesnt work on my laptop either :(

but hey its been working fine for the last hour lets hope thats the end of that problem :D

Have you it set to dial/connect on demand or to stay connected? If the DSL light is staying green, then the DSL sync isn't being lost.

problems back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055412846
    Similar issues. Most likely cause is socket, old phone line or interferance on the line.

problems back again today, its disconnecting me from xbox live etc, cannot go anywhere online, red light most of the day :(

problems back again today, its disconnecting me from xbox live etc, cannot go anywhere online, red light most of the day :(

Your line seems very good, and since it's not losing sync it might be worth raising a ticket with Eircom in case there's an issue at the exchange.

cool ill ring them asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Guys,

Im in carrigaline Co. Cork. I am having the same issues, intermittently bombing out for the last few days. I reckon its an eircom issue - either they are messing with the network OR exchange issues. I would doubt it is issues with your system / routers - too many people having problems. Had similar trouble like this before, turned out to be over capacity on local carrigaline exchange - which, as it is, is creaking anyway!

Aidan

hey m8

glad to see its not just me, hopefully its just a little eircom problem that can be fixed soon, Delighted its not my system :P

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

my net goes slow on peak times can any1 tell me about my line stats??
    im also a eircom user

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 25.00 11.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 44.00 26.00
    CRC Errors 7733 0

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Could one of yall try switching the phone line from the socket to the router? Minimise the distance of the line if possible and make sure the filters are installed properly.

Go to http://192.168.1.254/indexExptStatRES.htm?adslRES.htm Keep an eye on the SN Margin UP and Down and the CRC errors. Keep refreshing the page. If the SN goes below 10 or into the minuses then its the line or the socket or maybe interference.
    my.php?image=dslnw6.jpg
    Thats my stats, notice the lack of CRC errors and the SN margin. It doesnt go below 12. I had the same problem as both of you. Not one red light or dropout since i replaced the line/removed it from the surge protector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I only got eircom broadband just before the christmas. NEVER had good speeds. And if I move that router the red "internet" line can come on although its not to bad the last week.

Also you know with the filter things. Are you better off having the router line connected to one and then the phone socket or just plug it straight into the socket without the need for the filter as theres no phone plugged in there anyways... Heres my line stats the max allowed kpbs is bad what does it mean??

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 256
    SN Margin (dB) 20.90 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 48.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 1 0

joe123 wrote: »
    I only got eircom broadband just before the christmas. NEVER had good speeds. And if I move that router the red "internet" line can come on although its not to bad the last week.

Also you know with the filter things. Are you better off having the router line connected to one and then the phone socket or just plug it straight into the socket without the need for the filter as theres no phone plugged in there anyways... Heres my line stats the max allowed kpbs is bad what does it mean??

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 256
    SN Margin (dB) 20.90 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 48.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 1 0

Without the filters your connection will be exposed to the frequencies used by normal phone calls, hence anytime an incoming call appears your DSL line will be knocked off. According to those stats you're syncing at only 160k, far below what it should be for that attenuation level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Also you know with the filter things. Are you better off having the router line connected to one and then the phone socket or just plug it straight into the socket without the need for the filter as theres no phone plugged in there anyways...
    You don't need the filter if there's no phone connected at that point. The splitter supplied by Eircom has a filter on the phone connection ONLY so removing it can only help to improve your connection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If moving the router is causing a red light to come on that would suggest all is not well with your wiring/connection. Are you in an old house or anything like t hat or have phone extensions been added?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

dub45 wrote: »
    If moving the router is causing a red light to come on that would suggest all is not well with your wiring/connection. Are you in an old house or anything like t hat or have phone extensions been added?

The house is over 30 years old. By phone extensions do you mean new phone sockets put in round the house? If so then yep theres the original one and then two new ones but in a few years ago.

If its the wiring thats the problem can it be easily fixed or what will be the procedure?

today

I got sometimes

DSL Pass
    ATM Pass
    Ethernet Pass
    PPPoE Pass
    Authentication Pass
    IP Fail

it seems fine for the moment but I know it will go again I May ring eircom,,

BTW
    I tried to put a password on my router ( which I did ) then tried to log in and it asked for a username and password, I dont have a username wtf!!! ? can someone help me, I only know a password I was never given a username

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

today

I got sometimes

DSL Pass
    ATM Pass
    Ethernet Pass
    PPPoE Pass
    Authentication Pass
    IP Fail

it seems fine for the moment but I know it will go again I May ring eircom,,

BTW
    I tried to put a password on my router ( which I did ) then tried to log in and it asked for a username and password, I dont have a username wtf!!! ? can someone help me, I only know a password I was never given a username

It is either blank as in nothing or admin

Advertisement