Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Game on the Xbox 360

• 27-12-2008 3:39pm

What are the best games (new and old) that you have played on your Xbox 360 and why?

For me they have to be:-

Burnout: Paradise City - there's nothing like powering down these streets and going Live is possibly one of the best experiences ever!

Condemned: Criminal Origins - scared the bejesus out of me and just great fun.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - possibly the most life-sucking game I've played, with close to 90 hours gone! But not wasted. Great game.

Dead Space - Terrifying. Nothing like being in zeo gravity and a vaccuum and not being able to hear anything, and then POW! some creature attacks you from behind! Such a thrill to play in HD

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

It was one of the greatest games ever on the PS1 and it's still probably the best game available on the 360.

Braid

Very refreshing take on the platforming and puzzle games

Earth Defence Force

Cheap, tacky, low budget and an absolute blast to play. Most full price games don't come near the amount of fun this game is to pay.

Bioshock

I think enough has been said about this game.

Left 4 Dead

Well I play it on PC but really there isn't an online experience that can beat this.

Call of Duty 4

For competitive online play it can't be beat

Ninja Gaiden 2

I really don't get the bad reviews. It may have camera issues but it doesn't stop it being on of the best action games ever. So what if it's tough, we need more games that offer a challenge

Bionic Commando

One of the greatest NES games ever gets a next gen update and it's still as good as it always was.

Megaman 9

I'm a megaman whore and this more than lives up to the oldies.

Lost Odyssey

Now that Squareenix have become a shovelware studio this is the closest we will get to a Final Fantasy game. Slow to start but keeps getting better and better and an ingenious battle system. I think I might prefer Eternal Sonata more whenever I play it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Call of Duty 4. Amazing single player and the best online game I've ever played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

I'm still loving GTA IV in both offline and online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Hands down COD 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Lost Odyssey
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Left 4 Dead
    GTAIV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Call of Duty 4 - Best FPS out at the moment, good multiplayer and single player storyline.

Fallout 3 - Good RPG - Free roaming is fun.

Oblivion - Same as Fallout 3

FIFA 09 - Best football game out since FIFA 02! Be a pro mode is great fun

Skate - Innonative skateboarding game. Single handedly killed Tony Hawk.

GTA IV - Great fun as always.

Banjo and Kazooie (XBLA Version) - Great platformer from the N64.

Bionic Commando - Extremely adictive, mixing old and new together.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mass Effect - Great rpg, with a hate/love combat system (i love it), and a fairly good story. If you've liked other Bioware rpg's, you should like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Mass Effect - as above
    PGR4 - racing perfection imho
    Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2 - sexual!
    Castlevania SotN - the pinnacle of 2D gaming, I only wish that I'd played it sooner!
    Lost Odyssey - converted me to turn based JRPGs (well, I guess pokemon got there first really...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tman wrote: »
    Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2 - sexual!

For shame, I forgot to include it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Bioshock is the best game on the xbox.
    It's amazing

I'm also liking Fallout 3 at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Dead Space - Terrifying. Nothing like being in zeo gravity and a vaccuum and not being able to hear anything, and then POW! some creature attacks you from behind! Such a thrill to play in HD

+1

Just got it. Started playing it at 3.45am and it's now almost 4 hours later when I realise the time. So addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Of the past year, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, GOW2, Fallout 3 and Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.

Of all time? Fallout 3 probably, but it's a shame I don't have enough time to play it, as it really requires a lot of effort to get the most out of it. Next full day off I have is all Fallout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Halo 3 is the best game on 360.
    good campaign (4 player co op is unreal)

multiplayer is top of xbox live even after a year and a half on the market.

Its forge mode is the gaming equivilent of the renaissance and the damn thing has playlist changes every week. hands down its the best.

rock band 2 ,fallout 3 and geometry wars 2 are also strong contenders.

i hear great things about burnout paradise must get it some time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

For me the best new games are Fallout 3 and Fable 2, a wonderful game.

What are the best games (new and old) that you have played on your Xbox 360 and why?

For me they have to be:-

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - possibly the most life-sucking game I've played, with close to 90 hours gone! But not wasted. Great game.

Have to agree, Oblivion is probably the greatest game that I've ever played (I may have expressed my opinion on this once or twice before on boards.ie! :D)

90 hours? Last time I checked, I was on 300+ (two different characters). My home away from home.

Other than that:

Halo 3 - just an iconic Xbox game.
    GOW 1 & 2 - as above, with added adrenaline!

Was really looking forward to Fallout 3, but will now have to await the return of my Xbox form MS. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I got Oblivion and so far I would label it as overrated. Sure, there's plenty to do but nothing is that satisfying or enjoyable.

Examples of things that annoyed me:
    I was tired of using melee attacks so I decided to join the Mages Guild to improve my magic. I get to start on getting the recommendations and every c**t just says "I can help you but talk to him first." Then you go talk to that guy and he makes you talk to someone else and so on and so forth. Just gimme the damn recommendation!

Entering dungeons and caves usually just involves killing a few rats, knicking an apple then getting lost and don't get me started on the lockpicking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A 360 exclusive I really enjoyed is Crackdown! Brilliant game, just loved the freedom and the way you "leveled up", out of all the games I've played on it, this one has stood out for some reason

Nick

I got Oblivion and so far I would label it as overrated. Sure, there's plenty to do but nothing is that satisfying or enjoyable.

Examples of things that annoyed me:
    I was tired of using melee attacks so I decided to join the Mages Guild to improve my magic. I get to start on getting the recommendations and every c**t just says "I can help you but talk to him first." Then you go talk to that guy and he makes you talk to someone else and so on and so forth. Just gimme the damn recommendation!

Yep, the mage's quests were among the toughest in the game, but that was part and parcel of what I feel made the game so rewarding. And they were tied in with achievements, so I won't begrudge them their difficulty! :)
    Entering dungeons and caves usually just involves killing a few rats, knicking an apple then getting lost and don't get me started on the lockpicking.

The "monsters" should have corresponded with your current level, so would become more difficult as your character got tougher. And the map and compass made navigating dungeons relatively easy (most of the time :rolleyes:).

As for the lockpicking, well I suppose I found it easy, having found the unbreakable lockpick! :P

In any case, I'm not trying to convert anybody to it - in my experience their seems to be very little middle ground when it comes to liking the game.

However, if you did like it, chances are you'll love it!!! :)

So I picked up Lost Odyssey for 16euro in Game. Haven't played it properly, been playing Fallout 3 instead.

Forgot to mention Bioshock as being a brilliant game. Only problem was it felt like dying wasn't a bad thing, and by that I mean there was no real problem with it. You die and there was a chamber to revive ya near by.

F.E.A.R was a brilliant game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

If your finding oblivion a grind ( i didnt i loved every minute of it,infact i became so obsessed with it that i had to get it taken out of the house.)try fallout its much more straight forward compared to oblivion and the combat and story are better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

COD4 - for online play
    GOW 1 & 2- For story (Pity about the online play)
    Crackdown- i got a lot of of that game
    Haven't played Oblivion or Fallout 3, i must look for them in the sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

the orange box for me. I know its technicaly a 5 year old game but due to being virtually impossible to get to work on the pc because of licensing constraints i didnt bother with it until it came out on the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah Oblivion is a no middle ground kind of game, it'll either suck you in or leave you cold.

Fall out 3 could be called Oblivion with guns and it is kind of but with a pretty slimmed down level up system etc compared to oblivions magic etc. and for that reason is much more accessible as well as it feeling like you're in a mad max movie :D

Saints Row games i enjoyed very much.
    GTA:IV was fun while it lasted but not as good as previous ones, multi player was tops though

Crackdown was heaps of fun.

Bioshock is an unmissable game in my humble opinion.

Gears of war games while good didnt do a huge amount for me but i enjoed them .

Rainbow 6 vegas + G.R.A.W where decent also and worthy of mention.

I thought Overlord was a tonne of fun!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

In terms of the overall fun and time I've got out of a game, Call of Duty 4 stands above the rest. Single player is interesting and exciting and online, well, it's just out of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

CoD 4
    Fable 2
    Viva Pinata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

for me, the best 360 game is Ninja Gaiden 2. Gorgeous looking game. Is it hard and unforgiving, yes. But it has giving me numerous hours of pleasure (and hardship). Cant reccomend it highly enough. next would be COD4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

COD4 is one of my favourites, especially online.

Colin McRae Dirt was pretty good though, its a good challenge on the hardest setting and takes tonnes of concentration.

GTA IV was pretty savage too but it seems a little empty compared to the amount of weapons and stuff to do in GTA San Andreas.

Didn't like Saints Row 1 & 2 at all, the driving is just absolutely shíte and wrecked the whole game for me.

Think I'll get Burnout Paradise and Ninja Gaiden 2 in a while.
    NG on xbox was a proper challenge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Forza MotorSport 2, by a mile...

then
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warefighter,
    Call Of Duty 4,

I was very hooked on Gears of War but after going back to try it again now that the sequel is out, i wasn't very impressed with it and it seemed a bit easy, so i didnt bother with the new one either.,

The new GTA was impressive at first but became repetitive pretty quickly, and both Saints Row games feel cr*p after coming from GTA back over to them.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Gears
    PGR4
    Fight Night3
    Rainbow 6 Vegas
    Crackdown
    Forza2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

I bought fallout 3 because it got so many recommendations here but have found it boring, reminds me of half life which I didn't like either

anyone else feel the same?

Advertisement