Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Israeli = 155 Palestinians

Options
  • 27-12-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

155 killed as Israel launches air strikes in Gaza Strip

Over 155 people were killed today and God knows how many wounded in the Israeli air strikes on the Gaza Strip. As the Isaelies have stated its a retaliation for the Hamas rockets that killed an Israeli

If it wasn't the siege and blockade on Gaza thats killing the people, it's the rockets,...yet the world watches in silence.

Source: IrishTimes Online

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Back in the 40's, it was felt that should any Israeli die, the Arabs should suffer tenfold, and that this would 'put manners on them'. 60 years later, and no manners in sight, few seem willing to take the wild leap of 'maybe if we were a bit more selective..'....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A terrorist action from a terrorist state

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

A terrorist action from a terrorist state

Ah now, there's no need to be so off-hand about the elected government of the palestinian territories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I believe the average over the years is 1 Israeli = 400 Palestians.. dead that is..

I think its so sad how people know 155 people died but in their heads its somehow justified because it isn't technically 'terrorism' which somehow makes it morally okay.. yeah you know who you all are..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

the International community doesn't do much of anything that's not in their own intirests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Those bloody Iranians on the other hand.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

930,000,000 Germans better watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

if the british bombed dublin tomorrow and we had the ability to strike back with force we would and we would be right

if we attacked england tomorrow the british would retaliate with extreme force to protect their people and they would be right

the israeli government is there to protect israelis and while i dont think they are doing a good job they have an immensely difficult situation on their hands

the palestinian government either needs to ask for help to get rid of the terrorists or it needs to get rid of them themselves if they dont then you have to wonder why they dont?

i think neither side is right here and its very easy for us to sit here thousands of miles away and judge peoples decisions when rockets are being fired in both directions

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

Time there was a international tasks force set up to deal with these Israel terrorist,
    Oo cancel that shor they are the good terrorist, -now where have we heard that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didn't the bomb throwers in Gaza kill some thier own yesterday? Should stick to that policy, its less dangerous for Gazanarians.

• Advertisement

it seems that someone has lost the meaning of "proportional response"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

It makes me sick thinking about it and the apathy of people in relation to it is disturbing. How people come on here and put the blame on the Palestinians is beyond me.

Where is Obama and his message of change now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Still disguesting the turkey I imagine (and that reply is probably less fatuous than your pious query)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I don't recall him making any promises about the israelis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The strife between the Israelis and Palestinians will only end when the latter get as tooled up with weapons as the Israelis and then they will cancel each other out. There appears to be no compromise or likely one in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Palestine, do they have any oil in the ground over there??? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Sorry I was being a bit pious I know, but can only see the situation deteriorating until the arabs are ethnically cleansed out of Palestine.

it's up to 205 dead now

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worsel

Ya 205 maybe more + about 300 injured --
    Hamas is only trying to protect its people
    The israeli's have blockaded Gaza.. not allowing Food, Fuel etc. into Gaza..
    The rockets that Hamas supposely fired into South Israel are litthe more than Fireworks..how many have they killed ? Sky News showed a Building that was supposely hit by one of these rockets today --their was a hole in the wall all right --but a Bed and a basket of fruit in the same room were untouched!!
    The Israelis used a 1 TON BOOM to hit a hamas leader earlier this year and killed women and Children.. five-day Israeli offensive in March killed more than 120 people. There are two sides to every story,but the Palestinians side is rather compelling. look into it sometime. There's a little something about their land being stolen and handed over to the jews. There's another little tidbit about living in oppression for over 50 years. the Jews settled in what little Palestinian land was left and relocating them into camps. The Palestinians helped out the Jews after the second world war -- they then stole their country .. put them into refugee camps...cut offf their supplies...and then shell them.... The hypocricy of the so-called democratic countries is amazing.
    A few days from the inauguration of new US Presidente,and Israelis create a new situation, sure in the fact that the new US goverment will continue as their ally The Palestines have no chance as long the US control the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

You would think that Hamas would get the message though? Going on the OP maths, 1 Israeli = 155 Palestinians, and Israel always reacts to provacation. So why does Hamas continue to use such tactics as rockets or whatever? The response is always the same, ie death for innocents. Perhaps that is the aim to promote opinion in the eyes of the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Right about now? At the Lockheed-Martin Xmas party celebrating the couple of hundred F-18s that they'll flog to Israel in 2009.

Israel always reminds me of the sexually abused child that when grown-up is condemned to repeat the sins of its abusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    You would think that Hamas would get the message though? Going on the OP maths, 1 Israeli = 155 Palestinians, and Israel always reacts to provacation. So why does Hamas continue to use such tactics as rockets or whatever? The response is always the same, ie death for innocents. Perhaps that is the aim to promote opinion in the eyes of the world?

This appears to be the general situation there. There is no way that Hamas can compete with IDF on a military basis. The purpose of the rockets is to provoke Israel in to a military response which will always be overwhelming when they are so well armed and the other side is mostly equipped with peashooters. Hamas know this and so in my opinion are not totally blameless in this situation either. To say that it is all Israels fault is incorrect. Both parties to the conflict share blame. In order to have peace the rockets need to be eliminated as they are totally pointless. Israel need to then cease all offensive activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Mr.Micro wrote: »

True enough that Hamas are vile bunch of murderer's who are at best stupid and murderous cretins. There actions are hardly in the best interest of there people.

Still, even when the Palestinians aren't firing rockets at Israel, things are hardly milk and honey. Just look at the West Bank and expanding colonies and the attacks the colonists are carrying out against the Palestinians. Hell, recently some colonies outside Israels wall were even granted building permits:
    From Haaretz:
    Barak approved settlement expansion despite Road Map

By Uri Blau, Haaretz Correspondent

Defense Minister Ehud Barak has approved dozens of construction projects in the West Bank in recent months, contradicting Israel's commitments to the Road Map, Haaretz has learned. Barak also approved the marketing of hundreds of housing units in settlements.

Some of the permits for construction projects were granted in settlements to the east of the separation fence, which are beyond the areas the state defines as "settlement blocks" and it expects to retain under Israel's control following a permanent agreement with the Palestinians.

Click here for the rest

So while Hamas certainly makes things worse. Still as we can see in the West Bank, Israel continually expands its colonies. So the Palestinians situation would hardly be all that great, even if Hamas disappeared tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

worsel wrote: »
    Ya 205 (...........) planet.

Woejously ill-informed comments don't help.
    Mr.Micro wrote:
    So why does Hamas continue to use such tactics as rockets or whatever?.

Because if they don't, then they feel they'll be run out on their knees, as oppossed to at least making an effort to resist. Settlement building, assasinations, beatings...these go on every day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

worsel wrote: »
    The Israelis used a 1 TON BOOM to hit a hamas leader earlier this year and killed women and Children.. five-day Israeli offensive in March killed more than 120 people.
    Versus... how many Israeli's do the Palestinian suicide bombers usually kill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Obama is "busy" kicking back in Hawaii and just hanging with his homies. :pac: Seriously though there is little he can do as it is tit for tat out there and I support the Israeli's in this as there is never any attempt by the Palestinians to negotiate and enter peace talks, if they can do it up Norn Iron they can do it anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Obama is "busy" kicking back in Hawaii and just hanging with his homies. :pac: Seriously though there is little he can do as it is tit for tat out there and I support the Israeli's in this as there is never any attempt by the Palestinians to negotiate and enter peace talks, if they can do it up Norn Iron they can do it anywhere!

The same can be said about Israel, considering that during peace talks Israel doubled there colonies. Israel has hardly made much of an honest effort themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

the_syco wrote: »

Suicide bombers are dispicable.

This is not a numbers game though. The typical Israeli press release of 'they attacked us with rockets/stones/dust is getting more and more transparent the more soaked in blood it becomes.

At this stage it is obvious that the Israelis are engaging in collective punishment, I've heard that from journalists that have been there recently and I heard it the other week from the mouth of someone I trust highly, Mary Robinson.

Collective punishment is a phrase with a special meaning - from Wiki:
    Under the 1949 Geneva Conventions collective punishments are a war crime. By collective punishment, the drafters of the Geneva Conventions had in mind the reprisal killings of World Wars I and II. In the First World War, Germans executed Belgian villagers in mass retribution for resistance activity. In World War II, Nazis carried out a form of collective punishment to suppress resistance. Entire villages or towns or districts were held responsible for any resistance activity that took place there.

Is is sickening to me how that actions of the Israeli state mimick the actions of the Nazis. Earlier this year I was in Anne Frank's house and the photos of the wartime concentration camps that they had there are very evocative of the present day Palestinian camps.

Do not be fooled by slick Israeli PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

the_syco wrote: »
    Tbh, far more Palistinians die than Israelies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If there was any justice in this world, the Israelis would be hauled in front of the International Criminal Court to answer for their terrorist actions and war crimes

Advertisement