Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Israeli = 155 Palestinians

Options

Comments

wes wrote: »
    No, the majority was created via ethnic cleansing. The immigration happened after that.

How would they have managed that? If there was such a majority of Palestinians in the area, how did the Jews of the time perform ethnic cleansing on them? And again I will say, that you have yet to prove how ethnic cleansing occurred...

The immigration was occurring during the talks about the creation of Israel.
    What does it have to do with the Palestinians exactly? Is it there fault? Did they drives out Jews from there homes? No, they didn't. So I don't see what it has to do with the Palestinians.

I always find it funny that people call me one sided, when the bring up stuff that is not the fault of the Palestinians. Again, the fact that other Arab nations kicked out Jews, has nothing to do with what Zionists did to the Palestinians. The whole guilt by association thing is pretty silly.

So what if I didn't mention in this thread before. I mentioned it just now. I fail to see how me not saying it before, has any bearing on whether I mean it or not. I didn't condemn the atrocities in the Congo in this thread before, does that mean by your logic, I support them, or that by only condemning it now, that I am not being entirely truthful?

I say its one sided because you're focusing purely on the Palestinians... You ignore other factors in the overall picture, which begs the question as to what else you are ignoring simply because the Palestinians weren't directly responsible...

As for not mentioning it before, in a topic where you're quite vocal about your opinions, its strange that no mention of it has come from you before. That's all.
    Again, what Israel done was ethnic cleansing, they were not a 100% successful, but then the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia wasn't a 100% successful, but people rightly call it that.

I haven't said that ethnic cleansing needs to be 100%...
    So the UN has the right to give away other people countries without consulting the majority population? Seesm like a recipe for trouble.

Pretty much. Its something they did in Eastern europe also. But in this case the Palestinians were consulted in the creation of the Palestinian state.
    What you don't understand is that trying to create a "Jewish" state is impossible without a Jewish majority. It would not be a Jewish state, if the majority aren't Jewish. It would be an apartheid state.

What you seem to not understand is that they wouldn't need a majority of Jews in Israel since it was to be created as a Jewish state, not a even mixed state. The UN proposal held that the Palestinians would move intentionally to either Palestine or Jordan rather than live under Jewish rule.

And yes it would pretty much have been an apartheid state....
    Also, the Israeli's would not be with in there rights to prevent the majority changing the laws. You see when a group does that, we call it apartheid.

Now we call it apartheid. When Israel and Palestine were to be created there wasn't any such major definition, and it would have been ignored just like South Africa was ignored.
    Well, invading a country in the Middle East tends to lead to that. Just ask the cruasaders.

Fair enough. But your response doesn't change my point that those Palestinians lived under military rule because everyone in Israel was living under military rule.
    If Palestinains were a majority in Israel they would vote it out of existence. Why wouldn't they? Also, the situation I presented was hypothetical.

Of course it was hypothetical, since it would never have happened.
    So an apartheid state then, where the majority are not Jewish.

Well, lets be hypothetical here, and suggest that it would have been possible for the Jewish to be in charge, and to give the Arabs in Israel partial/limited representation in the country. In so far as to affecting the changing of laws, but not changing the sovereignty of the country?
    No, I don't. You simply like to pretend that because Israel was not a 100% successful that it does not amount to ethnic cleansing, which is ridiculous. Do we not call what happened in Rwanda genocide? They weren't a 100% successful either btw. Again, you provide a poor excuse for what Israel did.

I'm not looking to excuse what Israel did. I'm trying to prevent further crap being made up about the subject. There are too much vague and biased opinions floating around on this subject which don't deal heavily on the facts. I'd prefer to see realistic opinions on the subject. If you're going to cast blame on Israel, deal with the facts of the matter rather than opinions....

And yes you do, regarding proving the ethnic cleansing, since its an ill formed opinion, until proven. I could just as easily say that Palestinian militant eat Israeli babies whenever they can... No doubt i would be asked to prove it. Which I'm asking you to do in this case...
    As, for what the Arab nations did, well last time I checked a bunch of invaders declaring a state against the will of the majority indigenous people, is an act of war.

A rather severe response wouldn't you say when they had the chance to settle this through negotiation? The Arabs and the Palestinians pulled out of the talks regarding the creation of Palestine & Israel, and chose to enforce their opinions through warfare. Had they continued through negotiation they probably would have gained a better position for future settlements. The creation of Israel was going to happen. It had the will of the western world & the UN behind that creation, so it was going to happen regardless. But they chose the most short-sighted & unrealistic of options...
    Honestly, its ridiculous to expect them to give up half there nation to a bunch of Europeans, because other Europeans tried to wipe them out and the 2000 year old land claims is pretty ridiculous as well.

Half their nation? What nation? They didn't have a nation prior to this proposal. There was no Palestinian state in existence for the last 1000 plus years....
    Using that logic, everyone here can take over Africa, as thats where humanity originates from. The majority population has every right to reject partion, especially when the half there country was going to be given to European immigrants and refugee's. No people would ever agree to that and Zionists demands were simply ridiculous, this is what lead to war Sop

I think you're being silly now. Whats Africa got to do with anything here? I haven't suggested anything to do with origins. You introduced it.

The only reason I believe that Israel has a right to exist is because they are there now. Was it wrong to create them in the M.East? Possibly. I don't really know. I personally view it as irrelevant.
    I know the UN created Israel, but oddly anything the UN says now is completely disregarded nowadays and the only thing that matters is when the UN agress with Israel. Strange that.

Really? Disregarded by whom? Oh, by everyone, since the UN has been shown to be rather toothless since Iraq...

But directly after WW2, the UN was not toothless, and their directives were definitly worth paying attention to.

I think part of the problem here is that you're applying modern day morals, logics, assumptions etc to something that happened over 50 years ago. The simple fact is that the world was a far different place back then. The last 40 years has created the basis for human rights, proper international law etc. You keep assuming that the standards we value today should have been common knowledge back then.
    [sarcasm]I know when it comes to this conflict, Israel is never at fault and that its always someone elses fault and that its reasonable to go to someone else country and declare a state. Its not like no other people in the world would have gone to war in such a situation[/sarcasm]

haha... Sarcasm? I've said plenty of times that Israel is at fault in their actions. The manner they pursue the occupation, the settlements, the expulsions of residents, the imprisonment of innocents etc. Israel is not an innocent part by any means...

But, and here is the but... There is too much focus on Israeli responsibility, without a similar criticism of Palestinian responsibility. I could say more, but i'll keep it simple, and easy to understand. ;)

Nodin wrote: »
    ...because they live within a recognised and secure state.

Partially yes, but also because there is a single avenue for them to express themselves... Until the Palestinian people look to one government rather than support dozens of militant groups they won't be able to settle down and have peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

How would they have managed that? If there was such a majority of Palestinians in the area, how did the Jews of the time perform ethnic cleansing on them? And again I will say, that you have yet to prove how ethnic cleansing occurred...

Again, you admit expulsions took place. You simply say it is not ethnic cleansing, as they were not a 100% successful. I say it is. Once again this is a poor defence, as we call plenty of other expulsions ethnic cleansing that were not a 100% successful.

Also, having a better military is all they needed.
    The immigration was occurring during the talks about the creation of Israel.

It happened way before that.
    I say its one sided because you're focusing purely on the Palestinians... You ignore other factors in the overall picture, which begs the question as to what else you are ignoring simply because the Palestinians weren't directly responsible...

I would disagree, its ridiculous to bring up something that has nothing to do with the Palestinians. You brought it up directly in relation to the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians, which they had nothing to do with.
    As for not mentioning it before, in a topic where you're quite vocal about your opinions, its strange that no mention of it has come from you before. That's all.

Well, I haven't brought up the Sabra and Shatila masscre in the thread either. Plenty of other things I haven't brought up. I find it strange that you are ignoring all the other things I haven't brought up.
    I haven't said that ethnic cleansing needs to be 100%...

Yeah, you basically said that. You said there were Palestinians still there and therefore it was not ethnic cleansing.
    Pretty much. Its something they did in Eastern europe also. But in this case the Palestinians were consulted in the creation of the Palestinian state.

They rejected giving away half there country to foreigners, which they had every right to do.
    What you seem to not understand is that they wouldn't need a majority of Jews in Israel since it was to be created as a Jewish state, not a even mixed state. The UN proposal held that the Palestinians would move intentionally to either Palestine or Jordan rather than live under Jewish rule.

Which is ethnic cleansing. Making things so intolerable for people so they will move. Again, you admit for a Jewish state to exist you need to get rid of the Palestinians, but just won't call it what it is.
    And yes it would pretty much have been an apartheid state....

Which, isn't a situation that would last forever.
    Now we call it apartheid. When Israel and Palestine were to be created there wasn't any such major definition, and it would have been ignored just like South Africa was ignored.

It would have only been ignored for so long just like South Africa, the Zionists knew that the siutation would be unsustainable.
    Fair enough. But your response doesn't change my point that those Palestinians lived under military rule because everyone in Israel was living under military rule.

If I remember correctly they were under direct military rule for a lot longer.
    Of course it was hypothetical, since it would never have happened.

Fair enough.
    Well, lets be hypothetical here, and suggest that it would have been possible for the Jewish to be in charge, and to give the Arabs in Israel partial/limited representation in the country. In so far as to affecting the changing of laws, but not changing the sovereignty of the country?

The country would still not have a Jewish majaority. This is what the Zionists wanted and what they called a Jewish state, hence all the expulsions.
    I'm not looking to excuse what Israel did. I'm trying to prevent further crap being made up about the subject. There are too much vague and biased opinions floating around on this subject which don't deal heavily on the facts. I'd prefer to see realistic opinions on the subject. If you're going to cast blame on Israel, deal with the facts of the matter rather than opinions....

Plenty of opinion coming from yourself as well, so perhaps you should practice what you preach first.
    And yes you do, regarding proving the ethnic cleansing, since its an ill formed opinion, until proven. I could just as easily say that Palestinian militant eat Israeli babies whenever they can... No doubt i would be asked to prove it. Which I'm asking you to do in this case...

You already admitted to explusions taking place. Now you are asking me to prove them? I see no reason to do so. The difference is that you consider the expulsions to not be ethnic cleansing, as they didn't kick out all the Palestinians.
    A rather severe response wouldn't you say when they had the chance to settle this through negotiation? The Arabs and the Palestinians pulled out of the talks regarding the creation of Palestine & Israel, and chose to enforce their opinions through warfare. Had they continued through negotiation they probably would have gained a better position for future settlements. The creation of Israel was going to happen. It had the will of the western world & the UN behind that creation, so it was going to happen regardless. But they chose the most short-sighted & unrealistic of options...

Most people deal with invasion as an act of war. Most people don't just lie down and die. I would say the Western world had no business giving away other peoples countries and quite frankly the Western world were being unreasonable as were the Zionists. War was inevitable, as no people on this planet would put up with this.

You see the Zionists and there supporters were short sighted if they taught the situation would not lead to conflict.
    Half their nation? What nation? They didn't have a nation prior to this proposal. There was no Palestinian state in existence for the last 1000 plus years....

So? They lived there and were being asked to give half of it away.
    I think you're being silly now. Whats Africa got to do with anything here? I haven't suggested anything to do with origins. You introduced it.

Exactly, I am using the African example to show how silly Zionism is.
    The only reason I believe that Israel has a right to exist is because they are there now. Was it wrong to create them in the M.East? Possibly. I don't really know. I personally view it as irrelevant.

I have no issue with Israel being there now, and I think it is relevant as the state was created by kicking the Palestinians, who are still effected by this to this day. If what happened then had no effect on now, then I would agree with you.
    Really? Disregarded by whom? Oh, by everyone, since the UN has been shown to be rather toothless since Iraq...

By Israel and her supproters.
    But directly after WW2, the UN was not toothless, and their directives were definitly worth paying attention to.

I would disagree, the UN was just the same back then. Russia and the US would veto anything they didn't like back then as well.
    I think part of the problem here is that you're applying modern day morals, logics, assumptions etc to something that happened over 50 years ago. The simple fact is that the world was a far different place back then. The last 40 years has created the basis for human rights, proper international law etc. You keep assuming that the standards we value today should have been common knowledge back then.

I am applying common sense. You go to someone else country with the express intention to take it over, you should not be surprised, when the other guys will keep on fighting and fighting.

Also, the rules for international law were set up back then. The UN was involved in this as you know. So you can't pretend these morals, were not in existence. Even back then, giving away something that doesn't belong to you, was wrong.
    haha... Sarcasm? I've said plenty of times that Israel is at fault in their actions. The manner they pursue the occupation, the settlements, the expulsions of residents, the imprisonment of innocents etc. Israel is not an innocent part by any means...

But, and here is the but... There is too much focus on Israeli responsibility, without a similar criticism of Palestinian responsibility. I could say more, but i'll keep it simple, and easy to understand. ;)

Well, its very simple, Israel are the occupier and the Palestinians the occupied, hence the difference.

**EDIT**
    Ahh, but there is no completely Jewish state. Ethnic cleansing didn't occur because many non-jews remained within the borders of the new jewish state, and were not either expelled or left of their own accord.

The simple fact of history is that Israel did expell & kill Arabs during the War. It also allowed many to remain in their borders, who continue to live to this day. By your own reasoning, the Arab nations at the same time, performed ethnic cleansing by forcing Jews to leave their countries to join with Israel, and yet I rarely see it mentioned.

As can be clearly seen from your own post. You say expulsions happened, but it was not ethnic cleansing. You say it was not ethnic cleansing. because not all the Palestinians were kicked out. I disagree, as we have seen from the conflict in the Balkans, the term ethnic cleansings is used there and the Serbians were not a 100% successful in ethnic cleansing either. Once again, you admit expulsions took place, and say these expulsiosn were not ethnic cleansing. I see no reason to prove that these expulsions took place, but you insist that it is not ethnic cleansing, as the Zionists were not a 100% successful, which I disagree with.

From Encyclopedia Britanica defintion of "Ethnic cleansing"
    :
    the attempt to create ethnically homogeneous geographic areas through the deportation or forcible displacement of persons belonging to particular ethnic groups. Ethnic cleansing sometimes involves the removal of all physical vestiges of the targeted group through the destruction of monuments, cemeteries, and houses of worship.

So we have expulsions by Zionists to create a Jewish state. The desire of the Zionists to create a Jewish state is a fact and the expulsions are a fact. Seems pretty clear cut to me what took place. Of course, every excuse possible is often made to try and pretend what Zionists did was not ethnic cleansing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Partially yes, but also because there is a single avenue for them to express themselves... Until the Palestinian people look to one government rather than support dozens of militant groups they won't be able to settle down and have peace.

I'm curious to know how this follows. When there were fewer groups, Israel was an occupier expanding its settlements. When the groups were more secular in outlook Israel was an occupier, building its settlements. Before suicide bombings, Israel was an occupier, building its settlements.

In fact, the behaviour of Israel seems predicated largely on whether its a right wing or left wing government in power, 'punitive' raids notwistanding. When the right is in power, we often see rapid expansion, when its the left, a more casual slow approach. Surely then, when an Israeli government, or its chief backer, says "enough - this process of occupation and colonisation is wrong", then the Palestinians will be able to start to settle down and have peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Just as they made no wellbeing for the Israeli populations wellbeing. They upped and left as quick as they could.

They were given someone else's land and as the founder of the Zionist movement Herzl said "Let the sovereignty be granted us over a portion of the globe large enough to satisfy the rightful requirements of a nation, the rest we shall manage for ourselves"

I partially agree. The reason I say partially is because you rarely mention the Palestinian failures in all of this. There have been plenty of actions by Palestinians which have been used as justification for Israeli actions. Its not completely one-sided. Both sides have consistently avoided any chances to resolve this peacefully for a significant length of time.

I agree with you that both sides have comitted atrocities, but the reality is that Israel is the only sidethat has the power to stop this. The problem is that peace is not in their interests as they would have to define the borders of Israel once and for all and give back land that they stole. They have stalled every peace initiative that has come on the table. The latest one is a very good example. Hammas had agreed to a truce in the negeotiations in Egypt and at the 11th hour Olmert comes in with a demand that he knew was not going to be acceptable. This is a pattern that has been repeated time and again by Israel. They could have had Shalit back long ago but left him to rot instead.

Personally, I think the Israeli's are more capable of moving on with their lives than the Palestinian Militants. If there was a way to guarantee no attacks across the border (the 1967 border that is), then I believe the Israeli people could maintain a peace. But, I dont believe that Palestinians can with their different militant groups and different objectives/mandates. They're too splintered..

Well, I don't agree. The ethnic cleansing isn't likely considering the population of the Palestinian people increasing over the last few decades over what it once was... Also considering how small a space present day palestine is, I believe that Israel could do a lot more killing if they really intended on getting rid of the Palestinians.

I agree that the Palestinians need unity and it could possibly have happened but for the manipulations of Israelis and the US. First they support and arm Hamas to get rid of the PLO and then they put in the weak, corrupt and pliable Abbas as their chosen leader of the Palestinians and expect it to work !!!

The fact that they haven't wiped out the Palestinians as yet does not mean they are not being ethnically cleansed and the increase in their population does not excuse the slaughter or terror inflicted on them over the years. They will be mindful of the loss of billions in financial backing if they go all out to exterminate the natives. There's no way their backers could excuse that away. Just how many refugees forced out of their country are living in other countries.

I don't know about the Israleis moving on from war. They seem to have become addicted to the power their heavily subsidised military might has given them and are now engaged in a campaign against Iran, trying to drag the US and Europe into it as well. I don't think assassinating scientists and officials and sabotage in another country are the actions of a country who want peace. If reports are true, neither is the trialing of new untested weapons on the people of Gaza.

I agree, but only as long as there are people choosing sides to support. Back down, and treat them equally. Punish both countries for their actions equally. Don't shine the light on Israeli brutality only to softly condemn Palestinian actions.

There is too much support out there for the fighting to continue. Too many people say Israel is justified in defending itself, and Palestinians are justified because Israel took their lands. Step in and force an equal and balanced peace. That is the only logical answer.

As I said there is no parity with the 2 sides, but I do agree that it is time third parties got themselves involved.
    I firmly believe that if the Palestinians were left in peace and were self-governing the support for Hammas would die away.
    They, like the Israelis have used fear and paranoia to keep their populations onside.
    In peace this would not be the case imo

• Advertisement

Again, you admit expulsions took place. You simply say it is not ethnic cleansing, as they were not a 100% successful. I say it is. Once again this is a poor defence, as we call plenty of other expulsions ethnic cleansing that were not a 100% successful.

Also, having a better military is all they needed.

Yes, I say expulsions took place. Many expulsions took place, with people being forced from their homes so that Jewish families could live there. I don't believe I've ever said otherwise....

As for ethnic cleansing, you seem to have a blind spot. You introduced the 100% factor. In fact it was you that started taking about ethnic cleansing in the first place. I've only said that it hasn't occurred, not that there is a required percentage needed. I've only asked you to prove that ethnic cleansing has occurred, which you've avoided doing in three response postings thus far.

A better military was all they needed? Come on. Surely you can be a little bit more specific than that?
    It happened way before that.

What happened? the Immigration or the ethnic cleansing?
    Well, I haven't brought up the Sabra and Shatila masscre in the thread either. Plenty of other things I haven't brought up. I find it strange that you are ignoring all the other things I haven't brought up.

Because you find it funny that some people find you one-sided.....
    Yeah, you basically said that. You said there were Palestinians still there and therefore it was not ethnic cleansing.

I basically said that? Really. Actually no i didn't. I said that Jews expelled and killed Arabs. You introduced the ethnic cleansing aspect, and I have responded to that.
    They rejected giving away half there country to foreigners, which they had every right to do.

What country? They didn't have a country... hence the reason why the UN proposed to create a Palestinian state...
    Which is ethnic cleansing. Making things so intolerable for people so they will move. Again, you admit for a Jewish state to exist you need to get rid of the Palestinians, but just won't call it what it is.

Where did i say that for a Jewish state they would need to get rid of the Palestinians? In fact, I've been saying they could have a Jewish state regardless of the number of Arabs in their borders.
    Which, isn't a situation that would last forever.

Huh? Why would they have known that back then?
    It would have only been ignored for so long just like South Africa, the Zionists knew that the siutation would be unsustainable.

Really? You have such insights into the Jewish minds? So sorry, Zionist minds... Actually, how long did South Africa have apartheid?
    If I remember correctly they were under direct military rule for a lot longer.

Some details?
    The country would still not have a Jewish majaority. This is what the Zionists wanted and what they called a Jewish state, hence all the expulsions.

It was called a Jewish state, because well, they were Jews creating a Jewish state... seems obvious... And the expulsions occured because the Jews wanted the material wealth, the removal of opposition, and simply because they had no reason to trust the Arabs (considering the war they'd just entered).
    Plenty of opinion coming from yourself as well, so perhaps you should practice what you preach first.

Grand. Call me on something and I'll prove it.
    You already admitted to explusions taking place. Now you are asking me to prove them? I see no reason to do so. The difference is that you consider the expulsions to not be ethnic cleansing, as they didn't kick out all the Palestinians.

No, I'm asking you to prove a determined desire for the ethnic cleansing by the jewish people. Both when the creation of Israel occurred right through to present day. Because that is what started this little chat. My responding to your statements....
    Most people deal with invasion as an act of war. Most people don't just lie down and die. I would say the Western world had no business giving away other peoples countries and quite frankly the Western world were being unreasonable as were the Zionists. War was inevitable, as no people on this planet would put up with this.

What invasion? Did the Jews appear in warships and land troops in the M.east to take the land? Nope. They responded to a UN mandate for the creation of Israel.

Maybe the UN had no business doing so, but they did it. Simple. The UN is a forum for all countries, and the Arabs had their own presence there to make their opinions known. They had their own influence, and failed with that influence, by resorting to war.
    I would disagree, the UN was just the same back then. Russia and the US would veto anything they didn't like back then as well.

The US pushed for the creation of Israel, and Soviet Russia would oppose anything the US chose to do. Weren't you aware that Russia was a main supplier to arms to the majority of Arab countries in the region?
    I am applying common sense. You go to someone else country with the express intention to take it over, you should not be surprised, when the other guys will keep on fighting and fighting.

Also, the rules for international law were set up back then. The UN was involved in this as you know. So you can't pretend these morals, were not in existence. Even back then, giving away something that doesn't belong to you, was wrong.

The Area of Palestine was part of a British mandate. Prior to this, it was part of.... the Ottoman empire. Before that, Egypt had control. etc. The simple fact is that there was no Palestinian state or palestinian people prior to the UN mandate to create one. There were numerous people of multiple Arab nationalities and nomadic tribes in the area.

The British empire put forward for the territory to be used in whatever form the UN wished to do with them. Just as the British created Jordan only a while previously.
    Well, its very simple, Israel are the occupier and the Palestinians the occupied, hence the difference.

Now, Israel is the occupier. As I've said before, I fully believe that Israel should not be beyond the borders originally proposed by the UN, and that the state of Palestine should exist under the previous plan.
    As can be clearly seen from your own post. You say expulsions happened, but it was not ethnic cleansing. You say it was not ethnic cleansing. because not all the Palestinians were kicked out. I disagree, as we have seen from the conflict in the Balkans, the term ethnic cleansings is used there and the Serbians were not a 100% successful in ethnic cleansing either. Once again, you admit expulsions took place, and say these expulsiosn were not ethnic cleansing. I see no reason to prove that these expulsions took place, but you insist that it is not ethnic cleansing, as the Zionists were not a 100% successful, which I disagree with.

From Encyclopedia Britanica defintion of "Ethnic cleansing"
    :

So we have expulsions by Zionists to create a Jewish state. The desire of the Zionists to create a Jewish state is a fact and the expulsions are a fact. Seems pretty clear cut to me what took place. Of course, every excuse possible is often made to try and pretend what Zionists did was not ethnic cleansing.

I agree that expulsions took place, but i don't believe an intentional desire to perform ethnic cleansing occurred. I totally believe that Israeli's wanted to get rid of Arabs in their country's borders but not to the degree which you're so focused on. I believe that the war with the Arab nations was a major factor in this since the "Palestinians" went to war with Israel just like the others making them a direct enemy and impossible to trust.

Did ethnic cleansing occur? A limited form of it perhaps, based on the basis of displacement. Is that fair enough?

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm curious to know how this follows. When there were fewer groups, Israel was an occupier expanding its settlements. When the groups were more secular in outlook Israel was an occupier, building its settlements. Before suicide bombings, Israel was an occupier, building its settlements.

In fact, the behaviour of Israel seems predicated largely on whether its a right wing or left wing government in power, 'punitive' raids notwistanding. When the right is in power, we often see rapid expansion, when its the left, a more casual slow approach. Surely then, when an Israeli government, or its chief backer, says "enough - this process of occupation and colonisation is wrong", then the Palestinians will be able to start to settle down and have peace.

Yes, I agree, except that my point is that the Palestinians are so splintered in who they support that peace is unlikely for a long time, even if Israel were capable of following suit. My belief is that some groups will continue to attack Israel regardless of what occurs, and this will be a major reason as to why there wont be peace in the region.

paulaa wrote: »
    They were given someone else's land and as the founder of the Zionist movement Herzl said "Let the sovereignty be granted us over a portion of the globe large enough to satisfy the rightful requirements of a nation, the rest we shall manage for ourselves"

Lands were handed out to form two states, where no state had existed previously. There was no Palestinian country previous to this, beyond a name on a map which belonged to the Ottoman empire. Unless you're talking about the individuals who lost out?
    I agree with you that both sides have comitted atrocities, but the reality is that Israel is the only side that has the power to stop this. The problem is that peace is not in their interests as they would have to define the borders of Israel once and for all and give back land that they stole. They have stalled every peace initiative that has come on the table. The latest one is a very good example. Hammas had agreed to a truce in the negeotiations in Egypt and at the 11th hour Olmert comes in with a demand that he knew was not going to be acceptable. This is a pattern that has been repeated time and again by Israel. They could have had Shalit back long ago but left him to rot instead.

I don't know why you believe that the Palestinians have no power to stop this... the only justification that Israel has in occupying Palestine and commiting its war, is the attacks made on them by Palestinian forces. The militants have been fighting against Israel forever, and achieved nothing. Their attacks only continue the occupation. Without those attacks on a long term basis, any support for Israel would dry up. They would be forced to negotiate for reasonable terms.

I'm not defending Israels track record with peace proposals. They don't want peace because that would place them at the negotiating table and they would have to return all the land they have stolen. There would also be a few heads being taken for war crimes as well. But as long as they're put in the position of being under attack, they will be able to continue as before.
    I agree that the Palestinians need unity and it could possibly have happened but for the manipulations of Israelis and the US. First they support and arm Hamas to get rid of the PLO and then they put in the weak, corrupt and pliable Abbas as their chosen leader of the Palestinians and expect it to work !!!

It could have worked had the Palestinians wanted it to work. There was no support by them for it to work. They went every direction except to support it, and look what has happened.. With Palestinian leadership its an all or nothing setup. They want everything together, rather than seeking to make steps towards lasting peace.
    The fact that they haven't wiped out the Palestinians as yet does not mean they are not being ethnically cleansed and the increase in their population does not excuse the slaughter or terror inflicted on them over the years. They will be mindful of the loss of billions in financial backing if they go all out to exterminate the natives. There's no way their backers could excuse that away. Just how many refugees forced out of their country are living in other countries.

I don't know about the Israleis moving on from war. They seem to have become addicted to the power their heavily subsidised military might has given them and are now engaged in a campaign against Iran, trying to drag the US and Europe into it as well. I don't think assassinating scientists and officials and sabotage in another country are the actions of a country who want peace. If reports are true, neither is the trialing of new untested weapons on the people of Gaza.

I agree that the Israeli government doesn't want peace. As long as they are on a war footing the military has too much control, and won't want to lose that control. They get to play with their toys to the detriment of the palestinian people. I believe that the Israeli people would generally welcome peace, if they could see the attacks stop.
    As I said there is no parity with the 2 sides, but I do agree that it is time third parties got themselves involved.
    I firmly believe that if the Palestinians were left in peace and were self-governing the support for Hammas would die away.
    They, like the Israelis have used fear and paranoia to keep their populations onside.In peace this would not be the case imo

Completely agree. If the Palestinians were given peace the militants would die away, but not unless the Palestinian people chose for them to be removed, and pushed for their removal. In every country where militants exist, they draw their support from the people, and without the people they dwindle and die. But in the event of peace happening, the Palestinians would need to enforce the peace against those militants that refused to stop attacking Israel.

But I don't believe that peace will occur as long as people only focus on Israeli actions, and only condemn them. It gives the Palestinians free reign to prosecute their war in any manner. People have a tendacy to ignore the responsibility of the Palestinians in all of this, simply believing that Israel is the only aggressor. There needs to be more pressure for the militants to stop their campaigns in addition to the pressure on Israel to desist its military campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ldl1949

As theres no mobile coverage in the afterlife at the moment, I'd have to say that any such excercise would be mired in futility from the outset.

you never know with todays technology :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYAgyv2MKyI&eurl=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=59094251
    you cant be serious right!
    you cant really watch this and tell me this is a report and not propaganda. it is completely one sided... you see nothing hear nothing and they tell you nothing.

they show Israel building on ""Palestine Land"" yet they don't show blinding in the other direction... they show the soldiers that are in the house which never stay more then a day by the way, (did I mention Israel is at war? because the other side wont accept peace?) and they usually do that when there is shoots and attacks coming from a building near by. and no the soldiers try to stay out of the way as much as possible unless they are ass holes (did I mention Israel is at war? because the other side wont accept peace?).

so please don't tell me that is real report, it is completely one sided and reports nothing. I can do the same for the other side as well, show you pictures of the poor people living near the border which have rockets land beside there houses and children panicking and on an on but that would again be the poor victim propaganda, and I'm not going in to that again because both sides are victims.
    I'm interested in what you mean when you say you can't stand Israelis. What kind of Israelis do you mean ?

most of them as some of them are really aggressively mannered because they situation they live in.
    You say you have been in the army, if that's true then you will have seen first hand the daily harassments and and unfair treatment that the Palestinians have to endure and yet you say they have equal rights ???

yes there is daily harassments and and unfair treatment, but that is what they choose not Israel. Israel is simply forced in to it.
    believe me soldiers (I know I use to do it) hate it like hell, you think its fun to tell people they cant pass because today they have the wrong papers.

I need not say a word as Kalz says them much better then me.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Yes, I say expulsions took place. Many expulsions took place, with people being forced from their homes so that Jewish families could live there. I don't believe I've ever said otherwise....

So how does this not equal ethnic cleansing then?
    As for ethnic cleansing, you seem to have a blind spot. You introduced the 100% factor. In fact it was you that started taking about ethnic cleansing in the first place. I've only said that it hasn't occurred, not that there is a required percentage needed. I've only asked you to prove that ethnic cleansing has occurred, which you've avoided doing in three response postings thus far.

Are you being serious? How exactly is expelling a population to make way for a Jewish state not ethnic cleansing? I am arguing that the expulsions to make way for a Jewish state, was ethnic cleansing, you disagree as there were some Palestinians who were not kicked out. Again, why do I need to provide proof, when we both agree that expulsions took place? You are insisting I provide evidence for something we both agree took place, but our disagreement is on whether that it was ethnic cleansing.
    A better military was all they needed? Come on. Surely you can be a little bit more specific than that?

Overwhelming miltary might is all that is needed to get people to flee. Threats, intimidation and violence by the aforementioned miltary is all that is needed.
    What happened? the Immigration or the ethnic cleansing?

Zionist started arriving in the late 19th century. The ethnic cleansing took place during 1948.
    Because you find it funny that some people find you one-sided.....

I basically said that? Really. Actually no i didn't. I said that Jews expelled and killed Arabs. You introduced the ethnic cleansing aspect, and I have responded to that.

No, you brought up something that other Arab nations did in relation to the Palestinians. I fail to see how what some other nations did, has anything to do with what Israel did to the Palestinians.
    What country? They didn't have a country... hence the reason why the UN proposed to create a Palestinian state...

So they didn't technically have a country, so that makes it ok for foreign powers to give it away? Its a pretty ridiculous argument.
    Where did i say that for a Jewish state they would need to get rid of the Palestinians? In fact, I've been saying they could have a Jewish state regardless of the number of Arabs in their borders.

Sorry, got confused there.
    Huh? Why would they have known that back then?

Why wouldn't they have the common sense to realize that? A minority is unlikely to rule over the majority forever.
    Really? You have such insights into the Jewish minds? So sorry, Zionist minds... Actually, how long did South Africa have apartheid?

Well, I am basing it on the fact they kicked out a whole lot of Palestinians.
    Some details?

They were under the rule till 1966.
    It was called a Jewish state, because well, they were Jews creating a Jewish state... seems obvious... And the expulsions occured because the Jews wanted the material wealth, the removal of opposition, and simply because they had no reason to trust the Arabs (considering the war they'd just entered).

So basically they engaged in ethnic cleansing, but you won't call it ethnic cleansing for some odd reason.
    Grand. Call me on something and I'll prove it.

Whats your defintion of ethnic cleansing? Is it different than the one I provided? If so whats your source for it?
    No, I'm asking you to prove a determined desire for the ethnic cleansing by the jewish people. Both when the creation of Israel occurred right through to present day. Because that is what started this little chat. My responding to your statements....

Again, you seem to deny what the Zionists done to create a Jewish state is ethnic cleansing. The desire to create Israel as a Jewish state and the fact that they kicked out so many Palestinian is plenty of proof.
    What invasion? Did the Jews appear in warships and land troops in the M.east to take the land? Nope. They responded to a UN mandate for the creation of Israel.

Simply untrue. Zionism exisited long before the UN.

Secondly, going to someone else country with the intention of setting up your own tends to be called an invasion by most people.
    Maybe the UN had no business doing so, but they did it. Simple. The UN is a forum for all countries, and the Arabs had their own presence there to make their opinions known. They had their own influence, and failed with that influence, by resorting to war.

Again, they rejected partition and resorted to war after Israel was created. Which is an act of war.
    The US pushed for the creation of Israel, and Soviet Russia would oppose anything the US chose to do. Weren't you aware that Russia was a main supplier to arms to the majority of Arab countries in the region?

The USSR voted to create Israel as well. You can Google the full list of countries.
    The Area of Palestine was part of a British mandate. Prior to this, it was part of.... the Ottoman empire. Before that, Egypt had control. etc. The simple fact is that there was no Palestinian state or palestinian people prior to the UN mandate to create one. There were numerous people of multiple Arab nationalities and nomadic tribes in the area.

So that make it ok to give away there land to someone else then? Again, there were people already living there, so whether they were technically a country or not doesn't matter a tiny bit. It was still wrong to create a country for Europeans against there will.
    The British empire put forward for the territory to be used in whatever form the UN wished to do with them. Just as the British created Jordan only a while previously.

So the British can give away something that doesn't belong to them then?
    Now, Israel is the occupier. As I've said before, I fully believe that Israel should not be beyond the borders originally proposed by the UN, and that the state of Palestine should exist under the previous plan.

I agree with that now, but Israel should not have been created in the first place against the will of the indigenous people.
    I agree that expulsions took place, but i don't believe an intentional desire to perform ethnic cleansing occurred. I totally believe that Israeli's wanted to get rid of Arabs in their country's borders but not to the degree which you're so focused on. I believe that the war with the Arab nations was a major factor in this since the "Palestinians" went to war with Israel just like the others making them a direct enemy and impossible to trust.

Did ethnic cleansing occur? A limited form of it perhaps, based on the basis of displacement. Is that fair enough?

No, sorry its not. The fact that the vast majority of Palestinians were kicked out, shows me that Israel wanted them out. Honestly, its seems ridiculous to suggest that Israel didn't mean to kick out that many, or that since it was war that made it alright. Even if Israel kicked them out soley due to the war, how is that not still ethnic cleansing? The removal of the people from Palestine is what makes it ethnic cleansing.

Once again, we have the desire i.e Zionists wanting a "Jewish" state and then we have the expulsions, which is the act of ethnic cleansing itself. I personally find it difficult to believe, that a group of people who wanted a state for a ethnic/religous group and then engage in expulsions of people who are not member of that ethnic/religous, don't really mean it. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, seeing as that we have both the deed (expulsions) and desire (Zionists wanting a "Jewish" state, with a pre-exisiting non-Jewish majority).

Once again, the desire by Zionists for a "Jewish" state, is well known. As per the defintion I provided earlier and based on there actions, its seem pretty clear to me ethnic cleansing took place. In much the same way ethnic cleansing took place, when Egypt kiced out its Jewish population. I consider both ethnic cleansing and I haver referred to both in the same manner.

ldl1949 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYAgyv2MKyI&eurl=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=59094251
    you cant really watch this and tell me this is a report and not propaganda. it is completely one sided... you see nothing hear nothing and they tell you nothing.

Well a lot of things are propoganda according to you.
    they show Israel building on ""Palestine Land"" yet they don't show blinding in the other direction... they show the soldiers that are in the house which never stay more then a day by the way, (did I mention Israel is at war? because the other side wont accept peace?) and they usually do that when there is shoots and attacks coming from a building near by. and no the soldiers try to stay out of the way as much as possible unless they are ass holes (did I mention Israel is at war? because the other side wont accept peace?).

You keep making claims about Palestinians taking Israeli land. Of course you can't provide any proof for this. I am being honest here, i have never heard this claim before, have anything to back this up? I find it hard to believe that it hasn't been on any main stream news.

Also, barging into someones house for even a day, would be seen by most people as being wrong. Also, soldiers staying in a civilian home puts them in danger, which is pretty messed up and quite frankly I think it amounts to using them as Human sheilds.

You keep insisting Israel wants peace, but keep taking land, in a conflict about land. Seems counter productive to me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Hamas want peace and the other Palestinian factions are incapable of it right now as well.
    so please don't tell me that is real report, it is completely one sided and reports nothing. I can do the same for the other side as well, show you pictures of the poor people living near the border which have rockets land beside there houses and children panicking and on an on but that would again be the poor victim propaganda, and I'm not going in to that again because both sides are victims.

No, one disputes that what you describe is happening. Still what the video is about is showing what Israel does.
    yes there is daily harassments and and unfair treatment, but that is what they choose not Israel. Israel is simply forced in to it.
    believe me soldiers (I know I use to do it) hate it like hell, you think its fun to tell people they cant pass because today they have the wrong papers.

Thats ridiculous. Israel are responsible for there actions. When they treat Palestinians like dirt, thats there responsibility. They make a choice to react a certain way and are therefore responsible for the actions they choose.

Also, Hamas are also responsible for there own actions e.g. launching rockets at Israel. They choose to respond to the occuaption that way and are responsible for what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If Palestinains were a majority in Israel they would vote it out of existence. Why wouldn't they? Also, the situation I presented was hypothetical.

And here we get to the heart of it, you want to see Israel disappear whether through war or other means. Well that isn't going to happen so you might as well save yourself some time and give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Secondly, going to someone else country with the intention of setting up your own tends to be called an invasion by most people.

By that logic a lot of countries wouldn't exist if not for invasion including the USA, Canada, Brazil.... even Ireland was invaded by how many peoples?...the nemedians, celts, vikings, normans, english?...

And here we get to the heart of it, you want to see Israel disappear whether through war or other means. Well that isn't going to happen so you might as well save yourself some time and give up.

Wow, way to misrepresent what I said. Do you really think that will work? Considering, I never said what you claim I said, but honestly can't say I am surprised.

I was saying thats what the Palestinians would do in a hypothetical situation, hence why the Zionists kicked them out. Its pretty nonsensical, for you to pick a tiny peace of a larger argument and try to misrepresent me. Do you honestly think that will work?

Simply put, I never said Israel should disappear, but a Palestinian in 1948 would have been against the creation of the state of Israel and quite frankly why wouldn't they. Now, I don't think Israel should have been created against the will of the indigenous population, which is what happened. Is that right? I certainly don't think so.

As I said earlier, Israel is there now. To kick them out would be just as bad. Of course you would rather try a straw man argument, that is simply nonsensical and make absurd claims about me wanting Israel to disappear. Of course the fact still remains that the Israeli governments colonization of Palestine continues, which ensures that there will never be a Palestinian state. That is something that is happening, as opposed to me wanting Israel to disappear, which is a bit of fiction, that you came up with.

Honestly, do you really think, I don't know what I said and that I wouldn't point out that you are misrepresenting me?

By that logic a lot of countries wouldn't exist if not for invasion including the USA, Canada, Brazil.... even Ireland was invaded by how many peoples?...the nemedians, celts, vikings, normans, english?...

What are you talking about? Of course, the USA for instance would clearly not exist if Europeans did not invade and then wipe out the natives. There is an excellent book called "Bury my Heart Wounded Knee" By Dee Brown, which details the atrocities committed against the native Americans by the US government.

Sorry, I meant to answer this in my other post
    Interesting since I don't see the Nomadic tribes (Bedouin and others) that occupied these lands prior to the creation of either state fighting Israel... Their lands were taken from them, and nothing has happened.

As for there being no consultation, the UN did make proposals to the majority leaders of the Palestinians at the time, and were rejected. They chose war instead of peaceful negotiation, and as a result of it, they lost everything. Occupied by Arabs and Israelis for roughly 20 years afterwards, and still fighting...

Have you any links to the Arab rejection, I'm not trying to be akward, it's just that I have never seen it or what exactly they were rejecting.

The bedouins don't fight Israel because the majority of them were forced out of the country and live in the Sinai and other countries.Those that were left tried to go the legal route but were, unsurprisingly let down. That's not to say they're overjoyed about their treatment. These people recognised the "State of Israel", were Israeli citizens and were still treated appallingly, hardly an incentive for the Palestinians to agree to a one-state solution.
    http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060605/gordon
    http://www.kibush.co.il/show_file.asp?num=26730
    Lands were handed out to form two states, where no state had existed previously. There was no Palestinian country previous to this, beyond a name on a map which belonged to the Ottoman empire. Unless you're talking about the individuals who lost out?

You're right there was no Palestinian "state", but the Land of Palestine has been there for millennia . We could say much the same about present day Israel who have no defined borders as such.
    I don't know why you believe that the Palestinians have no power to stop this... the only justification that Israel has in occupying Palestine and commiting its war, is the attacks made on them by Palestinian forces. The militants have been fighting against Israel forever, and achieved nothing. Their attacks only continue the occupation. Without those attacks on a long term basis, any support for Israel would dry up. They would be forced to negotiate for reasonable terms.

I'm not defending Israels track record with peace proposals. They don't want peace because that would place them at the negotiating table and they would have to return all the land they have stolen. There would also be a few heads being taken for war crimes as well. But as long as they're put in the position of being under attack, they will be able to continue as before.

It could have worked had the Palestinians wanted it to work. There was no support by them for it to work. They went every direction except to support it, and look what has happened.. With Palestinian leadership its an all or nothing setup. They want everything together, rather than seeking to make steps towards lasting peace.

The Palestinians stuck to the ceasefire last year until Israel broke it on November 4th. They have stopped the suicide bombing attempts for over a year now and still Israel persists with this sadistic, inhuman siege. They offered to return Gilad in return for releasing the some of the 12,000 prisoners, including women and children, being held (many without charge) in Israeli jails and they were ignored. Israel will only do as it suits itself and Gaza is, as I said before, a testing ground for weaponry, a training ground for conscripts, maybe in the run up to an attack on Iran. It's also a distraction from the land theft that continues unabated.
    Perhaps the Palestinians believe that if they did stop all the rockets they would still be attacked with other trumped up excuses.

I agree that the Israeli government doesn't want peace. As long as they are on a war footing the military has too much control, and won't want to lose that control. They get to play with their toys to the detriment of the palestinian people. I believe that the Israeli people would generally welcome peace, if they could see the attacks stop.

I believe that the Israeli government and military rule by fear and paranoia in much the same way as Bush and the Neo-cons used 9/11 to erode the freedoms of the American public and scare them so much that they could have a free reign to declare war on any country they wished and the public would be behind them. The threat to the US now is wildly exaggerated imo in the same way that Israel is trying to put across that Iran is on their doorstep in Gaza and ready to strike at any minute.

Completely agree. If the Palestinians were given peace the militants would die away, but not unless the Palestinian people chose for them to be removed, and pushed for their removal. In every country where militants exist, they draw their support from the people, and without the people they dwindle and die. But in the event of peace happening, the Palestinians would need to enforce the peace against those militants that refused to stop attacking Israel.

But I don't believe that peace will occur as long as people only focus on Israeli actions, and only condemn them. It gives the Palestinians free reign to prosecute their war in any manner. People have a tendacy to ignore the responsibility of the Palestinians in all of this, simply believing that Israel is the only aggressor. There needs to be more pressure for the militants to stop their campaigns in addition to the pressure on Israel to desist its military campaigns.

As we've agreed, Hamas rule by fear and violence, who is going to help the Gazans who have been traumatised and terrorised by this latest killing spree by Israel, to get out from under Hamas rule? I don't honestly think that they have the means or the strength to fight Hamas. So many of them are homeless, injured and starving that they are in no fit state to fight anyone. That is why I feel that peace will have to come from Israel or be forced on both sides by outside parties.

You're missing the point of the video. CBS has always been very Pro Israel in it's coverage. This is the first time that they have showed the other side of the "war". That is what shocked the American viewing public as they had only ever seen "the poor Israelis being attacked".

It woke many people up to the fact that Israel was not the helpless victim that had been portrayed for years but rather a brutal and sadistic aggressor who thought nothing of other's Human Rights. Bob Simons, the presenter, is a Jew living in Tel Aviv and has no axe to grind with Israel so you idea of it being ""propaganda is way off the mark

Do you think it's acceptable for any army to go into a private home and hold a family hostage like that anytime it suits them ? Would your family put up with that here ? I don't think so !!! NO ONE should have to live in fear or have their lives disrupted like that. They do this on a regular basis, as you know, and not only when there is shooting. There were no attacks at the time that was being filmed. There is no excuse in the world for behaviour like that from a supposidly well trained and well disciplined army and if they do it when there are attacks then they are using those families as human shields, just like Hamas are accused of doing. No better than terrorists then :rolleyes:

Get real !!! Who would choose to be treated like dogs ? Those people in the West Bank are not the ones firing the rockets.

You make Israel sound pathetic and feeble minded if they can be forced into committing human rights abuses like that.

So how does this not equal ethnic cleansing then?

Because the manner in which you suggest makes it sound like a premeditated plan of eradication of the Palestinian people. Maybe you only mean the forced eviction/expulsion of many Palestinian people? If so, I would completely agree with you.
    Are you being serious? How exactly is expelling a population to make way for a Jewish state not ethnic cleansing? I am arguing that the expulsions to make way for a Jewish state, was ethnic cleansing, you disagree as there were some Palestinians who were not kicked out. Again, why do I need to provide proof, when we both agree that expulsions took place? You are insisting I provide evidence for something we both agree took place, but our disagreement is on whether that it was ethnic cleansing.

Fair enough. Actually it was my own misunderstanding of the word. I hadn't realised that Ethnic cleansing included the expulsion of people... I had always looked at Ethnic cleansing as being the destruction of a people either physically or culturally. My apologies for the mix up.
    Overwhelming miltary might is all that is needed to get people to flee. Threats, intimidation and violence by the aforementioned miltary is all that is needed.

War is also useful. Like four Arab armies coming into these territories bent on the destruction of Israel. A fairly decent reason to flee, rather than be killed by indiscriminate bombing by either side...
    Zionist started arriving in the late 19th century. The ethnic cleansing took place during 1948.

Ok, I'm a little bit confused. You told me that the immigration occurred after the ethnice cleansing took place... what changed your mind?
    No, you brought up something that other Arab nations did in relation to the Palestinians. I fail to see how what some other nations did, has anything to do with what Israel did to the Palestinians.

The reason we're having this discussion between us is because i queried your use of ethnic cleansing... Surely you haven't forgotten already?

As for the other nations, you cannot have a realistic viewpoint of the Palestinian conflict without looking at the whole picture.... without knowing what the actions of other countries, and the effects on both palestine and Israel.
    So they didn't technically have a country, so that makes it ok for foreign powers to give it away? Its a pretty ridiculous argument.

I don't believe the UN gave anything away... There was no state of Palestine prior to the UN mandate to create the two states.... The only people who lost were the individual landowners which would have been forced to give up some of their lands, although I'm pretty sure they would have been compensated well enough..
    Sorry, got confused there.

Its ok. This conflict is tricky at times to sort out hysteria and fact...
    Why wouldn't they have the common sense to realize that? A minority is unlikely to rule over the majority forever.

Why not? History has plenty of examples of such a system working.. It might not be fair and approved by our modern standards, but it would have been overlooked as long as there was no serious trouble.
    They were under the rule till 1966.

haha... 1966? So Vague. Where did you get that from? something a little more detailed please...
    Again, they rejected partition and resorted to war after Israel was created. Which is an act of war.

I'm confused. The Arab nations rejected the creation of the two states, and resorted to war, which was an act of war? On Israeli I assume?
    The USSR voted to create Israel as well. You can Google the full list of countries.

I know. They wanted to get rid of the Jews in their country as much as many other countries on the earth. But who supported the Arabs in the M.east for decades with military supplies, training and such? Russia.
    So that make it ok to give away there land to someone else then? Again, there were people already living there, so whether they were technically a country or not doesn't matter a tiny bit. It was still wrong to create a country for Europeans against there will.

Have you seen the original proposal by the UN for the creation of Israel and the lands to be allocated to them? There were relatively few populated places included in them. But thats always overshadowed by the subsequent war and the siezing of lands by Israel & the arab nations thereafter.

Technically a country or not? Come on, they weren't a country, and the only people directly affected were few in proportion to the resistance to the plan.
    So the British can give away something that doesn't belong to them then?

They have done so often enough before... by that reasoning I'm amazed you're not crying for the injustice done when Jordan was created...
    I agree with that now, but Israel should not have been created in the first place against the will of the indigenous people.

Maybe. Maybe not. It doesn't really matter. The simple fact is that they are there now, and looking back prior to their creation doesn't change anything.

paulaa wrote: »
    Have you any links to the Arab rejection, I'm not trying to be akward, it's just that I have never seen it or what exactly they were rejecting.

Will Wiki do? I find its quite a good resource most of the time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Partition_Plan_for_Palestine

There's plenty of references to the Arab committes, and Palestine Commission in there. Pretty long read, but good to know.

The Arab leadership (in and out of Palestine) opposed the plan.[65]. The Arabs argued that it violated the rights of the majority of the people in Palestine, which at the time was 67% non-Jewish (1,237,000) and 33% Jewish (608,000). [66] Arab leaders also argued a large number of Arabs would be trapped in the Jewish State. Every major Arab leader objected in principle to the right of the Jews to an independent state in Palestine, reflecting the policies of the Arab League.

You'll also see the Jewish reactions were dodgy to say the least.
    The bedouins don't fight Israel because the majority of them were forced out of the country and live in the Sinai and other countries.Those that were left tried to go the legal route but were, unsurprisingly let down. That's not to say they're overjoyed about their treatment. These people recognised the "State of Israel", were Israeli citizens and were still treated appallingly, hardly an incentive for the Palestinians to agree to a one-state solution.
    http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060605/gordon
    http://www.kibush.co.il/show_file.asp?num=26730

And yet they're not resorting to attacking Israel to seek their goals... Somehow I expect they know they would have received the same treatment from the Arab, as they did from the Jews.
    You're right there was no Palestinian "state", but the Land of Palestine has been there for millennia . We could say much the same about present day Israel who have no defined borders as such.

The land of Palestine.... belonging to a sucession of different countries, never being independent. The point I'm raising is that the "state" of Palestine was created the same way Israel was created. Simply that.
    The Palestinians stuck to the ceasefire last year until Israel broke it on November 4th. They have stopped the suicide bombing attempts for over a year now and still Israel persists with this sadistic, inhuman siege. They offered to return Gilad in return for releasing the some of the 12,000 prisoners, including women and children, being held (many without charge) in Israeli jails and they were ignored. Israel will only do as it suits itself and Gaza is, as I said before, a testing ground for weaponry, a training ground for conscripts, maybe in the run up to an attack on Iran. It's also a distraction from the land theft that continues unabated.
    Perhaps the Palestinians believe that if they did stop all the rockets they would still be attacked with other trumped up excuses.

And maybe they would be attacked with other made up excuses... Its highly possible they would. But what do the Palestinian attacks achieve? Beyond focusing the worlds eye on the region, but ultimately little beyond reprisal attacks which claim even more deaths...
    I believe that the Israeli government and military rule by fear and paranoia in much the same way as Bush and the Neo-cons used 9/11 to erode the freedoms of the American public and scare them so much that they could have a free reign to declare war on any country they wished and the public would be behind them. The threat to the US now is wildly exaggerated imo in the same way that Israel is trying to put across that Iran is on their doorstep in Gaza and ready to strike at any minute.

I agree... although Iran does have a history of supporting those who wish to make war on America and Israel. I'm not saying its undeserved, but Iran is not an impartial observer considering the games they play in the region.
    As we've agreed, Hamas rule by fear and violence, who is going to help the Gazans who have been traumatised and terrorised by this latest killing spree by Israel, to get out from under Hamas rule? I don't honestly think that they have the means or the strength to fight Hamas. So many of them are homeless, injured and starving that they are in no fit state to fight anyone. That is why I feel that peace will have to come from Israel or be forced on both sides by outside parties.

Ahh, well, catch-22 then. Because I doubt Israel will stop without their justification being removed...

As for outside parties, I don't think any nation has the will to enforce such a peace. The US might possibly start something but they're incapable to finishing anything, leaving others to fix their mistakes. Other than them, I doubt anyone would step in... The added troubles with the world economy just adds to the trouble.

• Advertisement

Because the manner in which you suggest makes it sound like a premeditated plan of eradication of the Palestinian people. Maybe you only mean the forced eviction/expulsion of many Palestinian people? If so, I would completely agree with you.

I find it hard to believe it was not pre-meditated by at least there leadership. Again, Zionists wanted a Jewish state, thats the term they use and not me. I look at what they wanted and I look at how they achieved it. It seem pretty clear to me that at least some Zionists (those running the show) wanted to kick out the Palestinians. I find it hard to believe it happened by accident, considering what the Zionists wanted.
    Fair enough. Actually it was my own misunderstanding of the word. I hadn't realised that Ethnic cleansing included the expulsion of people... I had always looked at Ethnic cleansing as being the destruction of a people either physically or culturally. My apologies for the mix up.

No problem, we all make mistakes.
    War is also useful. Like four Arab armies coming into these territories bent on the destruction of Israel. A fairly decent reason to flee, rather than be killed by indiscriminate bombing by either side...

Thats what the Zionists claim, but again you just have to look at the fact they wanted a "Jewish" state and it makes there claims hard to believe.
    Ok, I'm a little bit confused. You told me that the immigration occurred after the ethnice cleansing took place... what changed your mind?

If I said that, then that was a mistake on my part. Immigration happened before and after it. Zionist immigration started in the late 19th century and more immigration happened after 1948 as well.
    The reason we're having this discussion between us is because i queried your use of ethnic cleansing... Surely you haven't forgotten already?

Cleary I haven't forgotten, as we are still discussing it. Still doesn't change the fact, that you brought up what Arab nations did to there Jewish population. 2 different subjects, one ethnic cleansing of Palestinains brought up by me and the other brought up by you. I don't see what so difficult about that.
    As for the other nations, you cannot have a realistic viewpoint of the Palestinian conflict without looking at the whole picture.... without knowing what the actions of other countries, and the effects on both palestine and Israel.

What the Arab nations did to its Jewish populations happened after Zionist kicked out the Palestinians. They are 2 seperate events and Israel has a peace deal with one of the worst perpetrators Egypt. As we can see from the recent events in Gaza, Egypt has been complicit in blocking of Gaza. So I fail to see how in thise example, something Egypt did, has any bearing on what the Zionists did to the Palestinians.
    I don't believe the UN gave anything away... There was no state of Palestine prior to the UN mandate to create the two states.... The only people who lost were the individual landowners which would have been forced to give up some of their lands, although I'm pretty sure they would have been compensated well enough..

So what if there wasn't a country. There were cleary a people living there, who did not want foreigners to be given a country on there land. To suggest the UN did not give anything away is ridiculous. They gave away Palestine, which existed, just like Ireland existed during British occupation. To pretend that nothing was given away is nonsensical. The UN had no right to go against the will of the indigenous people and impose a European colony on the people living there.
    Its ok. This conflict is tricky at times to sort out hysteria and fact...

I know, like not knowing the meaning of certain terms being used and even after a definition is supplied, ignoring it for several posts, so I agree with you on the hysteria.
    Why not? History has plenty of examples of such a system working.. It might not be fair and approved by our modern standards, but it would have been overlooked as long as there was no serious trouble.

No, History shows they eventually fall a part. Again look at South Africa.

Also, I like how you apply different moral standards, because what they did was 60 years ago. This all happened after World War 2. After, World War 2, was when our current modern standard of morales were created. So I have no problem judging them by todays standards. If it happened thousands of years ago, I would concede that you had a point, by we are talking about 60.

Also, before World War 2 people resisted colonialism, which is what the creation of Israel was.
    haha... 1966? So Vague. Where did you get that from? something a little more detailed please...

You wanted a date and I gave you one, but you seem to have no issues with Wikipedia so here is link from there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_citizens_of_Israel#Martial_law_.281949-1966.29
    I'm confused. The Arab nations rejected the creation of the two states, and resorted to war, which was an act of war? On Israeli I assume?

Whats confusing? Israel declared independence (not to mention the arrivals of colonists before this) against the will of the indengenous population, which is an act of war.
    I know. They wanted to get rid of the Jews in their country as much as many other countries on the earth. But who supported the Arabs in the M.east for decades with military supplies, training and such? Russia.

Yes, they did. They supported the Arabs, as they engaged in a cold war against the US. They could care less about Israel, there conflict was with the US. They used the Arabs as a proxy against US interests.
    Have you seen the original proposal by the UN for the creation of Israel and the lands to be allocated to them? There were relatively few populated places included in them. But thats always overshadowed by the subsequent war and the siezing of lands by Israel & the arab nations thereafter.

So what? It was not theres to give away to European colonists. They had no right and I could care less of whatever ridiculous excuse you come up with to excuse blatant colonialism.
    Technically a country or not? Come on, they weren't a country, and the only people directly affected were few in proportion to the resistance to the plan.

All of Palestine was affected. Its nonsensical to suggest otherwise. What the UN did was create a European colony. Trying to excuse it is ridiculous.

Honestly, to pretend colonialism wouldn't effect everyone make no sense at all. Colonialsim is not some peaceful process, it is by its nature violent and to pretend other wise, make no sense.

Simply put, it doesn't matter what excuses you try and come up with. It doesn't change the fact that Israel was a colony imposed by foreign powers on the indigenous people against there will.
    They have done so often enough before... by that reasoning I'm amazed you're not crying for the injustice done when Jordan was created...

Is there a 60 year conflict, where recently 1300 people were killed?

I haven't brought up the partition of India either in this thread. Plenty of things I haven't discussed in this thread about Israel and Palestine and the recent attack on Gaza. The reason is rather simple, those other things have nothing to do with what we are discussing. Of course, you seem to think that due to me not mentioned something, that I have some ulterior motive. Of course what you say is nonsense.

You keep bringing stuff like this up, as if me not mentioning something, means something. The number of things I haven't mentioned in this thread is astronomical. I could also ask you for instance, why you haven't brough up what happened in Rwanda and try and insinutate something, but it would be rather pointless and quite frankly make no sense.
    Maybe. Maybe not. It doesn't really matter. The simple fact is that they are there now, and looking back prior to their creation doesn't change anything.

It directly effects millions of Palestinians today, so the injustices created 60 have a direct relevance, as they are still having an effect today.

I find it hard to believe it was not pre-meditated by at least there leadership. Again, Zionists wanted a Jewish state, thats the term they use and not me. I look at what they wanted and I look at how they achieved it. It seem pretty clear to me that at least some Zionists (those running the show) wanted to kick out the Palestinians. I find it hard to believe it happened by accident, considering what the Zionists wanted.

Oh, I do believe that some members of the leadership would have had desires for such a thing to happen. Also the Jewish leaders had on certain occasions announced a desire for a single Jewish state without interference from Arabs.

But its one thing to have desires, and its another thing to plan and execute such a plan. We hear hundreds of rhetoric coming out of the M.east all the time with apparently is taken out of context.
    Thats what the Zionists claim, but again you just have to look at the fact they wanted a "Jewish" state and it makes there claims hard to believe.

Nope, its human nature. To get out of the way of a war. Not to have their families killed by bullets or bombs regardless of whether they were Arab bullets or Jewish bullets.
    If I said that, then that was a mistake on my part. Immigration happened before and after it. Zionist immigration started in the late 19th century and more immigration happened after 1948 as well.

Immigration on a small scale was happening for decades in the early 1940's and before. After about 1943 the immigration increased tenfold, but was limited by the British. It was only after the creation of the state of Israel that the floodgates opened.
    What the Arab nations did to its Jewish populations happened after Zionist kicked out the Palestinians. They are 2 seperate events and Israel has a peace deal with one of the worst perpetrators Egypt. As we can see from the recent events in Gaza, Egypt has been complicit in blocking of Gaza. So I fail to see how in thise example, something Egypt did, has any bearing on what the Zionists did to the Palestinians.

Really? You dont see how the actions of other Arab nations would reflect on Palestine, which was part of the same alliance that sought the destruction of Israel? Ok, then. Lets leave it at that.
    So what if there wasn't a country. There were cleary a people living there, who did not want foreigners to be given a country on there land. To suggest the UN did not give anything away is ridiculous. They gave away Palestine, which existed, just like Ireland existed during British occupation. To pretend that nothing was given away is nonsensical. The UN had no right to go against the will of the indigenous people and impose a European colony on the people living there.

Ireland was an individual country with clear boundaries, and a history of existing for hundreds of years as a nation in the minds of its people. Even British history made mention to Ireland, and an individual culture to Ireland existed. Palestine was a land which had no clear borders, was never an independent state, and contained arabs from dozens of other countries.

After WW2 the UN had pretty much free will to do whatever it wanted. It was the will of the majority that Israel & Palestine would be created in this manner.

You might as well argue against every decision the UN has made before then or since then, if you cant accept this one. But then you wouldn't would you, since it doesn't directly relate to Palestine.
    I know, like not knowing the meaning of certain terms being used and even after a definition is supplied, ignoring it for several posts, so I agree with you on the hysteria.

Wow, I missed out on the interpretation included the expulsion of a people... I am sooo bad. Even worse, in my ignorance i agreed on numerous occasions that the Jews expelled Arabs from their homes... Ignored? I asked you to prove it. Instead i got the same thing rehashed in several different ways.
    No, History shows they eventually fall a part. Again look at South Africa.

History shows that they fell apart to modern society, not because they couldn't work for a long time. I daresay that they wouldn't have cared that it would have failed eventually. It would have worked long enough that they could breed in a larger population... Do you know that in 80 years our own manner of government might be seen as immoral? Of course not, its the future. We dont have a clue how its going to be shaped.
    Also, I like how you apply different moral standards, because what they did was 60 years ago. This all happened after World War 2. After, World War 2, was when our current modern standard of morales were created. So I have no problem judging them by todays standards. If it happened thousands of years ago, I would concede that you had a point, by we are talking about 60.

What has happened in the last 60 years that have shook the foundations of agreed human rights? Rwanda, Vietnam, Bosnia, etc. Its all very well to say that our morals developed from WW2, its another thing to say that they all happened at the same time.

You are 20 to 30 years old? So your morals date from the last 30 years, which were affected by the decisions and mistakes of the previous years.
    Also, before World War 2 people resisted colonialism, which is what the creation of Israel was.

Really? They did? It was colonialism? Where was Israel's main country, because colonialism means just that. Colonialism occurred by Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Holland etc. All had their home countries and expanded out to exploit other countries. Where was Israel's home before entering the M.East?
    You wanted a date and I gave you one, but you seem to have no issues with Wikipedia so here is link from there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_citizens_of_Israel#Martial_law_.281949-1966.29

Awesome. Exactly what I needed to see. .
    Whats confusing? Israel declared independence (not to mention the arrivals of colonists before this) against the will of the indengenous population, which is an act of war.

Ok, the wording of your previous statement was the confusion.

No, the decision to use war instead of complying with the decisions of the UN was an act of war. On Israel.
    Yes, they did. They supported the Arabs, as they engaged in a cold war against the US. They could care less about Israel, there conflict was with the US. They used the Arabs as a proxy against US interests.

Yup.
    So what? It was not theres to give away to European colonists. They had no right and I could care less of whatever ridiculous excuse you come up with to excuse blatant colonialism.

Again the colonialism... see above.

Countries have shaped and reshaped smaller countries for hundreds of years. After WW1 Germany was divided, as was parts of the Ottoman Empire, which Palestine was part of. After WW2, the same type of thing happened. Germany and the countries it conquered were either completely released, or broken up depending on its history and the desires of the majority. It was the way things were done. Its not acceptable now, but in the 1940's it was the norm.
    Is there a 60 year conflict, where recently 1300 people were killed?

I haven't brought up the partition of India either in this thread. Plenty of things I haven't discussed in this thread about Israel and Palestine and the recent attack on Gaza. The reason is rather simple, those other things have nothing to do with what we are discussing. Of course, you seem to think that due to me not mentioned something, that I have some ulterior motive. Of course what you say is nonsense.

You keep bringing stuff like this up, as if me not mentioning something, means something. The number of things I haven't mentioned in this thread is astronomical. I could also ask you for instance, why you haven't brough up what happened in Rwanda and try and insinutate something, but it would be rather pointless and quite frankly make no sense.

Ok. You got me. I give up. I'm tired of arguing in this manner. At times its like speaking to a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ummm ... the forced explusion of many [insert ethnic subgroup here] is ethnic cleansing. You've just described the very act itself klaz. It's like asking that somebody be "collaterally damaged" instead of "murdered". Stop dancing around the word play and look at the words you're using.

Indeed, most people take ethnic cleansing to mean genocide or equivalent imagery of wholesale massacre. It can be that, among other definitions. Ultimately it matters not if you massacre a people or forcibly expel them; They've been destroyed as a solid entity from the region in question even though small pockets may still remain. Thus the region has been ethnically cleansed.

As wes has already mentioned, zionist immigration started in the late 19th century. There was immigration before that, although it should be noted that the non-zionist Jewish settlers and/or natives lived in peace with the palestinians; employing them, trading with them, etc. The Zionists brought a doctrine with them that palestinians should be spurned and only to trade with or employ Jewish people. Thus zionist apartheid was begun. This obviously began escalating tension in the region, and from 1948 onwards the bulk of systematic brutality began.

Oh, I do believe that some members of the leadership would have had desires for such a thing to happen. Also the Jewish leaders had on certain occasions announced a desire for a single Jewish state without interference from Arabs.

But its one thing to have desires, and its another thing to plan and execute such a plan. We hear hundreds of rhetoric coming out of the M.east all the time with apparently is taken out of context.

Except we do have the Zionist actually expelling Palestinians. They Zionists had the desire and they also carried out expulsions. The fact that they did this shows that they were well beyond rhetoric.
    Nope, its human nature. To get out of the way of a war. Not to have their families killed by bullets or bombs regardless of whether they were Arab bullets or Jewish bullets.

Which, doesn't change the fact that Zionists were engaged in purposful expulsions.
    Immigration on a small scale was happening for decades in the early 1940's and before. After about 1943 the immigration increased tenfold, but was limited by the British. It was only after the creation of the state of Israel that the floodgates opened.

True enough, but still a colonial process was started long before the UN or even the British were involved.
    Really? You dont see how the actions of other Arab nations would reflect on Palestine, which was part of the same alliance that sought the destruction of Israel? Ok, then. Lets leave it at that.

So the fact that Israel actually destroyed Palestine as nation. Driving them into several other countries as refugees? You seem to be happy to ignore this. The Zionists did this and are hardly in the position to claim moral superiority.

Oh and look up the definition of nation, its different from country.
    Ireland was an individual country with clear boundaries, and a history of existing for hundreds of years as a nation in the minds of its people. Even British history made mention to Ireland, and an individual culture to Ireland existed. Palestine was a land which had no clear borders, was never an independent state, and contained arabs from dozens of other countries.

The Palestinians did exists as a nation of people under the Ottomans. They ever referred to the area as Palestine. There were clear boundaries under the Ottomans and everything.
    After WW2 the UN had pretty much free will to do whatever it wanted. It was the will of the majority that Israel & Palestine would be created in this manner.

Once again, they had no right to give away some one else land.
    You might as well argue against every decision the UN has made before then or since then, if you cant accept this one.

I disagree with it. I think it was a bad idea. I don't think they had the right to do what they did. I agree with plenty that the UN does, but in this instance, I think they were wrong.

I don't have to agree with everything the organization does. Its not a take or leave it type of thing.
    But then you wouldn't would you, since it doesn't directly relate to Palestine.

You keep saying rubbish like this. This is a thread about Israel/Palestine, talking about UN resolutions concerning the Balkans, would not make sense.
    Wow, I missed out on the interpretation included the expulsion of a people... I am sooo bad. Even worse, in my ignorance i agreed on numerous occasions that the Jews expelled Arabs from their homes... Ignored? I asked you to prove it. Instead i got the same thing rehashed in several different ways.

Read the comment I replied to. You decide to go on about hysteria etc and I just pointed out that you are just as guilty as me.
    History shows that they fell apart to modern society, not because they couldn't work for a long time. I daresay that they wouldn't have cared that it would have failed eventually. It would have worked long enough that they could breed in a larger population... Do you know that in 80 years our own manner of government might be seen as immoral? Of course not, its the future. We dont have a clue how its going to be shaped.

Well, as we can see that the Palestinians are the ones out breeding the Israeli's at this point.
    What has happened in the last 60 years that have shook the foundations of agreed human rights? Rwanda, Vietnam, Bosnia, etc. Its all very well to say that our morals developed from WW2, its another thing to say that they all happened at the same time.

The laws for crimes against humanity etc were created back then. They are still with us to this day. Human rights etc came from this point in time as well.
    You are 20 to 30 years old? So your morals date from the last 30 years, which were affected by the decisions and mistakes of the previous years.

So? Colonialism was wrong 60 years. I could care less whether the colonists taught they were right at the time or not.
    Really? They did? It was colonialism? Where was Israel's main country, because colonialism means just that. Colonialism occurred by Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Holland etc. All had their home countries and expanded out to exploit other countries. Where was Israel's home before entering the M.East?

So, people from Europe being given a country in the Middle East is not colonialism? Thats laugable. Zionists came from several different countries in Europe, and came to create a country in the Middle East. You know they came from Europe, the fact they came from several different countries doesn't really matter, as Zionists considered themselves a nation of people without a country.
    Awesome. Exactly what I needed to see. .

There you go then.
    Ok, the wording of your previous statement was the confusion.

Fair enough.
    No, the decision to use war instead of complying with the decisions of the UN was an act of war. On Israel.

No it wasn't. It was in response to Zionist aggression, when they decided to create a state against the will of the indigenous population.
    Yup.

Alright.
    Again the colonialism... see above.

Alright, 2 defintion of colonialism, neither involved having a country:

From Wikipedia:
    Colonialism is the extension of a nation's sovereignty over territory beyond its borders by the establishment of either settler or exploitation colonies in which indigenous populations are directly ruled, displaced, or exterminated.

Now a nation is a group of people which, you can see from this definition from about.com:
    Nations are culturally homogeneous groups of people, larger than a single tribe or community, which share a common language, institutions, religion, and historical experience.

As we know Zionists considered the Jewish people, a nation without a country.

Another defintion of colonialism from Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
    Colonialism is a practice of domination, which involves the subjugation of one people to another.

So I am using the term colonialism correctly.
    Countries have shaped and reshaped smaller countries for hundreds of years. After WW1 Germany was divided, as was parts of the Ottoman Empire, which Palestine was part of. After WW2, the same type of thing happened. Germany and the countries it conquered were either completely released, or broken up depending on its history and the desires of the majority. It was the way things were done. Its not acceptable now, but in the 1940's it was the norm.

So what if it was the norm. The people were against a European colony being imposed on them.
    Ok. You got me. I give up. I'm tired of arguing in this manner. At times its like speaking to a wall.

I got you? I wasn't trying to get you. I was argueing my POV, just like you were argueing yours. If you want to give up, thats you business. You have an opinion and I disagreed and I kept argueing my side, just like everyone else has done in the last 238 pages.

Lemming wrote: »
    Ummm ... the forced explusion of many [insert ethnic subgroup here] is ethnic cleansing. You've just described the very act itself klaz. It's like asking that somebody be "collaterally damaged" instead of "murdered". Stop dancing around the word play and look at the words you're using.

Dancing around the word play? I admitted that I was incorrect.

i.e.

Except we do have the Zionist actually expelling Palestinians. They Zionists had the desire and they also carried out expulsions. The fact that they did this shows that they were well beyond rhetoric.

Agreed.
    Which, doesn't change the fact that Zionists were engaged in purposful expulsions.

Ok, fair enough.
    So the fact that Israel actually destroyed Palestine as nation. Driving them into several other countries as refugees? You seem to be happy to ignore this. The Zionists did this and are hardly in the position to claim moral superiority.

Ok. I'll give you that. Israel did destroy Palestine as a state, along with the other Arab nations. I don't believe I've ignored the Israeli expulsions having spoken about them over the last two pages.
    The Palestinians did exists as a nation of people under the Ottomans. They ever referred to the area as Palestine. There were clear boundaries under the Ottomans and everything.

As an administrative state within the Ottoman empire. A bit like the county of Dublin or Cork. A community of peoples, but never an independent country or nation.
    Once again, they had no right to give away some one else land.

I disagree with it. I think it was a bad idea. I don't think they had the right to do what they did. I agree with plenty that the UN does, but in this instance, I think they were wrong.

I don't have to agree with everything the organization does. Its not a take or leave it type of thing.

We're not going to agree on this I think. I believe that the UN had the right to create those two states, as there was no state of palestine previously. The UN has a history of creating nations and defining their borders... I dont see why this case is any different than the other instances..
    The laws for crimes against humanity etc were created back then. They are still with us to this day. Human rights etc came from this point in time as well.

And the manner in which they are followed by any nation is touch and go to say the least...
    So, people from Europe being given a country in the Middle East is not colonialism? Thats laugable. Zionists came from several different countries in Europe, and came to create a nation in the Middle East. You know they came from Europe, the fact they came from several different nations doesn't really matter, as Zionists considered themselves a nation of people without a country.

People from the world, since Jews lived right across the globe... And while the Zionists had direct influence in the UN, it was the UN that created Israel. The UN decided to create two states, an Arab state and a Jewish state. I look at the UN as being responsible for the creation of both states.
    So I am using the term colonialism correctly.

It seems you are. I must review my english. Sorry about that.
    I got you? I wasn't trying to get you. I was argueing my POV, just like you were argueing yours. If you want to give up, thats you business. You have an opinion and I disagreed and I kept argueing my side, just like everyone else has done in the last 238 pages.

Honestly, you have given me a lot to think over. My view on the ethnic cleansing was limited, and you've made other points which make sense. I don't agree with all of what you said, but my opinions on this subject are always open to change if spoken in a logical manner.

Good response.

Agreed.

Ok, fair enough.

Ok. I'll give you that. Israel did destroy Palestine as a state, along with the other Arab nations. I don't believe I've ignored the Israeli expulsions having spoken about them over the last two pages.

Alight.
    As an administrative state within the Ottoman empire. A bit like the county of Dublin or Cork. A community of peoples, but never an independent country or nation.

They considered themselves a seperate nation. Thats all thats needed. One of the main reason the allies were able to beat the Ottoman empire, as the various Arab nations rebelled against the Ottomans and sided with the allies.

The allies also promised the Arabs that they could rule themselves, which in the case of Palestine, they clearly screwed them on that.
    We're not going to agree on this I think. I believe that the UN had the right to create those two states, as there was no state of palestine previously. The UN has a history of creating nations and defining their borders... I dont see why this case is any different than the other instances..

Well, I would say the main difference is that the Zionists were all recent immigrants, there to colonize a foreign land.
    And the manner in which they are followed by any nation is touch and go to say the least...

True enough, but they were there.
    People from the world, since Jews lived right across the globe... And while the Zionists had direct influence in the UN, it was the UN that created Israel. The UN decided to create two states, an Arab state and a Jewish state. I look at the UN as being responsible for the creation of both states.

I would disagree, if Zionists didn't go to Palestine in the first place, there would have been no case for creating a Jewish state, as Jews would have been a tiny minority. The actions of Zionists are the direct cause of the conflict and not the UN, who tried to sort the situation out, albeit making a huge mess of it.
    It seems you are. I must review my english. Sorry about that.

No problems. I am just a guilty in many cases.
    Honestly, you have given me a lot to think over. My view on the ethnic cleansing was limited, and you've made other points which make sense. I don't agree with all of what you said, but my opinions on this subject are always open to change if spoken in a logical manner.

Good response.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I don't think the Zionists were evil, just desperate, frightened and abused people who did something that was wrong in desperation.

My god you write a lot and fast :eek:

I cant do that, it takes me an hour to respond.
    Do you think it's acceptable for any army to go into a private home and hold a family hostage like that anytime it suits them ? Would your family put up with that here ? I don't think so !!! NO ONE should have to live in fear or have their lives disrupted like that. They do this on a regular basis, as you know, and not only when there is shooting. There were no attacks at the time that was being filmed. There is no excuse in the world for behaviour like that from a supposidly well trained and well disciplined army and if they do it when there are attacks then they are using those families as human shields, just like Hamas are accused of doing. No better than terrorists then rolleyes.gif

Yes I agree its really bad (lack of better word at the moment) and I don't agree it is necessary. BUT! when fighting an army hidden inside a population this is what happens. and the ""Funny"" thing is that this is exactly what hamas want, as they get ***""people like you"" to look at the Israelis and go "oh no those mean bad horrible people are going in to peoples homes for their war... but that sadly is the only way to fight a terrorist army (my definition of terrorist army is and army with no permanent location which it can be found at).

so again yes it is the Hamas (which the Palestinians elected) will.

Israel sadly is dumb (or smart, depends how you look at it) enough to play in to their hands.

Get real !!! Who would choose to be treated like dogs ? Those people in the West Bank are not the ones firing the rockets.

True but they are ""OK"" with it to the point where they will not do anything about it.
    let me tell you if there was a government in Israel causing damage and risk to my family with no reason ("which the citizen believe they have" "to take back Israel in the Palestinians case"). I would fight it in any way necessary! especially being a Jewish you learn from history you cant let any government turn against your own good.

lets Play a Game, we will call it Palestine does Israel reacts with a mistake forced upon it. Ready here we go:

round 1

Palestine: Riots or\and Itifada (a so called holly war) Israel: Has to close the border with Gaza, all Israelis are to afraid to go visit any more business in Palestine just about dies out.

round 2

Palestine: suicide bombers go in to Israel and blow up buses... Israel: Check points are made to screen people and all Palestine's need an approval before entering Israel for any reason which creates a horrible situation for Palestine's!

Round 3

Palestine: suicide bombing increase in number where to the point where Israelis are asking for all out war with Palestine which does not even have an army. Israel: as the governments all fall after 1 or 2 year period as no one would dare attack Palestine (as for humanity reasons) there is a decision made to build a wall that will simply separate the two ""country's"". (the wall is never finished because of international pressure and just makes life hell for people living near it and completely miss its prepuce as some bombing still arise.

Round 4 (and I'm going to skip the part where Israel withdraws completely from the Gaza strip so there is a chance for a Palestinian State)

Palestine(Hamas): starts to fire rockets in to Israel at an Increasing rate daily, as there is no Israeli army any where near Gaza in order to stop it.

Israel: wait a really really long time as half the country (the south which is being bombed) is raising absolute hell to make the government react(seeing as they are being bombed and all). eventually Israel reacts with strong force as they know if they attack a country with no army they will be stopped by International pressure eventually, so the Hamas must be ""stopped"" in the time frame given. and hundred of Palestinians die (BTW:which was sad for Israelis as well!!).

Future: (by me) or shell I call it round 5...

Palestine: keeps the rockets flying in to Israel now that there is a (one sided as usual) cease-fire, while keep talking about what Israel needs to do for peace.

Israel: try's to make peace (sort of, as they do it half hatred for obvious reason stated above) while now that there is no chance of calm in the area allow some of the settlements to return to Gaza as it would consist a good defense line (setters are crazy people which Israel is more then happy to use as a human shield!). and on and on and on....

and keeps being the some old boring thing....
    ** just a funny (sad) personal story. I left Israel for 5 years and had a Israeli newspaper in my bag. and then when I went to visit not long a go I go a new Israeli newspaper (they give you for free on the plan so you can feel like ****) and I looked at them both and Nothing has changed! still the same all most peace... OOPS war all most peace... OOPS war....

that's it really :)

My god you write a lot and fast :eek:

I cant do that, it takes me an hour to respond.

Yes I agree its really bad (lack of better word at the moment) and I don't agree it is necessary. BUT! when fighting an army hidden inside a population this is what happens. and the ""Funny"" thing is that this is exactly what hamas want, as they get ***""people like you"" to look at the Israelis and go "oh no those mean bad horrible people are going in to peoples homes for their war... but that sadly is the only way to fight a terrorist army (my definition of terrorist army is and army with no permanent location which it can be found at).

so again yes it is the Hamas (which the Palestinians elected) will.

Israel sadly is dumb (or smart, depends how you look at it) enough to play in to their hands.

True but they are ""OK"" with it to the point where they will not do anything about it.
    let me tell you if there was a government in Israel causing damage and risk to my family with no reason ("which the citizen believe they have" "to take back Israel in the Palestinians case"). I would fight it in any way necessary! especially being a Jewish you learn from history you cant let any government turn against your own good.

lets Play a Game, we will call it Palestine does Israel reacts with a mistake forced upon it. Ready here we go:

round 1

Palestine: Riots or\and Itifada (a so called holly war) Israel: Has to close the border with Gaza, all Israelis are to afraid to go visit any more business in Palestine just about dies out.

round 2

Palestine: suicide bombers go in to Israel and blow up buses... Israel: Check points are made to screen people and all Palestine's need an approval before entering Israel for any reason which creates a horrible situation for Palestine's!

Round 3

Palestine: suicide bombing increase in number where to the point where Israelis are asking for all out war with Palestine which does not even have an army. Israel: as the governments all fall after 1 or 2 year period as no one would dare attack Palestine (as for humanity reasons) there is a decision made to build a wall that will simply separate the two ""country's"". (the wall is never finished because of international pressure and just makes life hell for people living near it and completely miss its prepuce as some bombing still arise.

Round 4 (and I'm going to skip the part where Israel withdraws completely from the Gaza strip so there is a chance for a Palestinian State)

Palestine(Hamas): starts to fire rockets in to Israel at an Increasing rate daily, as there is no Israeli army any where near Gaza in order to stop it.

Israel: wait a really really long time as half the country (the south which is being bombed) is raising absolute hell to make the government react(seeing as they are being bombed and all). eventually Israel reacts with strong force as they know if they attack a country with no army they will be stopped by International pressure eventually, so the Hamas must be ""stopped"" in the time frame given. and hundred of Palestinians die (BTW:which was sad for Israelis as well!!).

Future: (by me) or shell I call it round 5...

Palestine: keeps the rockets flying in to Israel now that there is a (one sided as usual) cease-fire, while keep talking about what Israel needs to do for peace.

Israel: try's to make peace (sort of, as they do it half hatred for obvious reason stated above) while now that there is no chance of calm in the area allow some of the settlements to return to Gaza as it would consist a good defense line (setters are crazy people which Israel is more then happy to use as a human shield!). and on and on and on....

and keeps being the some old boring thing....
    ** just a funny (sad) personal story. I left Israel for 5 years and had a Israeli newspaper in my bag. and then when I went to visit not long a go I go a new Israeli newspaper (they give you for free on the plan so you can feel like ****) and I looked at them both and Nothing has changed! still the same all most peace... OOPS war all most peace... OOPS war....

that's it really :)

Hi, Sorry I'm just getting back to you now, I was away.
    I appreciate your honesty and the fact that you don't try to paint a pretty picture of everything that's happening in Israel.but I can't accept that Israel wants peace.

They have done everything to stall peace over the years by continuing to build settlements in direct defiance of International requests.They continue to treat the Palestinians with contempt with forced evictions and demolition of their homes.Tonight on TV they are going to evict nearly 1,500 and demolish 80 houses saying they are illegal. One man had the deeds of his house which showed his family had lived there since 1920 !!!

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/02/2009222211021436690.html
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/02/2009216134248562227.html

They continue with the sadistic siege in Gaza, where they have 1.5 million people locked in a prison without enough food, water, electricity, medicines or any of the normal things we take for granted. The kids can't even get paper for school as it's not allowed in. Lentils and pasta are prohibited too !!

2 US Congressmen visiting Gaza said
    "When have lentil bombs been going off lately? Is someone going to kill you with a piece of macaroni?" asked Rep. Brian Baird (D-Washington).
    The ban on lentils and pasta was symbolic of a policy that was "idiosyncratic and arbitrary. You look stupid and petty and over-controlling when do you this," Baird said."

Of their visit to the West Bank they said
    "Baird and Ellison said they heard from doctors, medical technicians and patients about how difficult it was to move around.

"When you are making a child undergoing chemotherapy and his mother and father stand in line for hours to try to get to a hospital, you are not creating friends, you are not improving security, you are creating rage," Baird said.

As a father, he could only imagine how he would feel in that situation, he said. "
    http://wwwjpost.com/servlet/Satellite?apage=1&cid=1233304841488&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

All this hasn't just happened in the last year or 2. I've been following it for 30 years as I've said before and as you say nothing changes, except that the number of people who are disabled and injured because of Israel's violence, and who are refugees and homeless, keep growing year by year.

If the tables were turned and it was the Israelis who were being treated like this I would feel exactly the same. No human being should have to live like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/The-Mystery-Dead-Of-Gaza-2-20-2009.asp

I generally find the stories on this site to be insightful and accurate.

Advertisement