Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Israeli = 155 Palestinians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

fryup wrote: »

it seems to me everyone is demanding that the israeli army play by the rules but Hamas and the PLO can do what they like:cool:

You mean by asking them not to blow up a group of school children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hopefully not civilian casualties though. ground forces may draw out and engage the militants. Might be talking out of my ass here, but unless Hamas are using human shields, they're far more likely than civilians to take fire. Plus if civilians attack the Israelis, the troops can respond appropriately to the force. d'ya see where I'm coming from?

Yes. But this is Gaza and the IDF. They have 'form'. Added to that, is the fact that the difference between a "militant" and a civillian is a rifle (not east to spot at 150 yards in the dark)....

It really depends on what the Israelis want to do. I suspect that this is to cover the Lebanese debacle of 2006, with an eye on the elections in February. Thus they're going to cause as much carnage as possible, while avoiding any risk whatsoever to their own troops. That automatically would involve methodology like the Americans used on occassion in Iraq - 'force protection' - its shoot first, worry later.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

ouch. there goes my hopeful naiviety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

So there's IDF boots on the ground now.

Regardless what side your batting for now your thoughts and prayers should be with the innocents now, take a few minutes out of your stupid quabblies now and give a thought to those who'll suffer tonight.

Right now, personally I don't care who's right or wrong.

I've sat in shelters more times than I can remember with innocent civilians while their homes and villages where bombed to sh*t because grown men couldn't--- ah fcvk, its fvcked up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

it seems to me everyone is demanding that the israeli army play by the rules but Hamas and the PLO can do what they like:cool:
    Yeah...like building a huge illegal wall and conveniently building it into Palestinian land...like allowing more and more settlers to build and move into Palestinian territory...like breaking lord knows how many UN resolutions..using disproportionate force...killing 155 palestinians for every israeli killed...

Oh but yeah, the Israelis sure do play by the rules :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I doubt very much the Israelies would have the b*lls to launch a ground invasion into Gaza. I don't think they could mentally cope with the number of their troops that would be killed. It's easy to drop bombs from an aircraft or lob missiles in from a ship miles offshore on civilians, sure that's straight from the George W Bush school of warfare. Send in your ground troops and then see how long that smug look will last...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I have noticed there have been mass protests and tearful pleas by celebrities for the IDF to stop their attacks on Hamas. Which is understandable - no one likes to see the suffering that is caused by such attacks.

However, I am puzzled that I havent seen such widespread protests calling for Hamas to cease their attacks on Israeli civillians.
    It's easy to drop bombs from an aircraft or lob missiles in from a ship miles offshore on civilians, sure that's straight from the George W Bush school of warfare.

The Bill Clinton school actually. Firing 10,000 dollar missiles at 10 dollar tents. George W Bush did send ground troops in. And the IDF have made regular incursions into Palestinian territory, they effectively control it. I believe the Israelis will wish to act with restraint, but should they believe ground troops are required they will do so.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I doubt very much the Israelies would have the b*lls to launch a ground invasion into Gaza. I don't think they could mentally cope with the number of their troops that would be killed. It's easy to drop bombs from an aircraft or lob missiles in from a ship miles offshore on civilians, sure that's straight from the George W Bush school of warfare. Send in your ground troops and then see how long that smug look will last...

Your confusing the Israeli's with the American's.

After the British, probably one of the best armies in the world when it comes to fighting spirit.

This is a new phase of the fight, fighting in built up area's and defence in built up area's are a fighting art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭patser grey

Mairt wrote: »
    So there's IDF boots on the ground now.

Regardless what side your batting for now your thoughts and prayers should be with the innocents now, take a few minutes out of your stupid quabblies now and give a thought to those who'll suffer tonight.

Right now, personally I don't care who's right or wrong.

I've sat in shelters more times than I can remember with innocent civilians while their homes and villages where bombed to sh*t because grown men couldn't--- ah fcvk, its fvcked up.

Yes Mairt its fukked up and wrong at least we agree on that. My prayers are with anybody in sheer fear and distress at this moment, it may well be their last, it's not a nice feeling, fearing for your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Interesting view from Norman Finkelstein about this phase of the Gaza issue Here , recorded December 08.

Move slider forward to 10mins into vid to skip the long intro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

dublincelt wrote: »
    Great, blame hamas for ISRAEL killing 460+ people. What a logic you have.

If you had read any of my posts on this thread you will see my reasoning and logic. Hamas started the latest conflict knowing full well that Israel always responds with force with far superior might, weaponry and capability. You do'nt throw stones( in this case rockets) at the best equipped fighting machine in the world unless you want to die. So who is to blame then?

Sand wrote: »
    I have noticed there have been mass protests and tearful pleas by celebrities for the IDF to stop their attacks on Hamas. Which is understandable - no one likes to see the suffering that is caused by such attacks.

However, I am puzzled that I havent seen such widespread protests calling for Hamas to cease their attacks on Israeli civillians.

Its 'rent a crowd' tactics, when this is over the same lunatics will go back to protesting the G7 summits, Shell to Sea and other 'save the planet, we're all gonna die' protests.

No one pays them much heed, certainly not politicans or the people that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    So who is to blame then?

Blame is a trivial commodity that is no longer is having any effect on either side towards peace.

Your confusing the Israeli's with the American's.

After the British, probably one of the best armies in the world when it comes to fighting spirit.

This is a new phase of the fight, fighting in built up area's and defence in built up area's are a fighting art.

Theres no "ART" involved, unless you like to paint with blood and make exhibits from body parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Hamas started the latest conflict knowing full well that Israel always responds with force with far superior might, weaponry and capability.

To be fair, Israel has had quite an economic stranglehold on Gaza, it's not like they just got bored and decided to fire a few rockets for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Its 'rent a crowd' tactics, when this is over the same lunatics will go back to protesting the G7 summits, Shell to Sea and other 'save the planet, we're all gonna die' protests.

No one pays them much heed, certainly not politicans or the people that matter.

Exactly, people will try to reason with Israel as Hamas appear to be in another zone, and it is certainly not reality.

Its a question of scale. In addition, who precisely is colonising who.

Which Jews exactly? because I'm a little confused about what a Jew is, do you mean blood Jews or Khazar jews?

shows how much you know.

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    shows how much you know.

I know of the tribe of Judah, and I know of the Khazars, the first havig Jewish blood and the second being decendents of Turk/Mongols converts mascarading as Jews, of which 99.9% of "jews" are decended, so which of these jews are you referring?
    What type are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its a question of scale. In addition, who precisely is colonising who.

And essentially, some children have it coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

well i never saw anybody protesting (esp in this country) when the palestinians blew up a bus full of israeli school children a few years back:rolleyes:

+1.

Sure, when Hamas shooting rockets at Israel, the peace treaty was intact, but when Israel responded, suddenly, the peace treaty has come apart...:rolleyes:

Since Hamas used to be terrorists, and is now in government isn't Palestine now state run terrorism?

The IRA didn't want Britain to be in Ireland. Hamas, last time I checked, doesn't want Israel to exist. Carrot and stick won't work. How about we try rain of fire?

Is this a game of guess who or a quiz of some type, you must be in the wrong forum.

I know of the tribe of Judah, and I know of the Khazars, the first havig Jewish blood and the second being decendents of Turk/Mongols converts mascarading as Jews, of which 99.9% of "jews" are decended, so which of these jews are you referring?
    What type are you?

so you know of the 12 tsons of jacob of which judah was one who sere enslaved in Eygpt and then left under moses, Khazars as you corectly stated are converts.
    Im not getting into a debate on this thread as its not the place everyone knows it would go on forever.

the_syco wrote: »
    +1.

Sure, when Hamas shooting rockets at Israel, the peace treaty was intact, but when Israel responded, suddenly, the peace treaty has come apart...:rolleyes:

Since Hamas used to be terrorists, and is now in government isn't Palestine now state run terrorism?

The IRA didn't want Britain to be in Ireland. Hamas, last time I checked, doesn't want Israel to exist. Carrot and stick won't work. How about we try rain of fire?

Come off your computer syco, supergravitating sugar must be affecting your sanity as well as making you look like your also stuck in a bubble somewhere between fantasy and reality. You and fryup have really cool emotions in your posts..cool:cool:???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I believe the Israelis will wish to act with restraint, but should they believe ground troops are required they will do so.

I'll believe it when I see it. They couldn't cope with the casualties, you cannot win a guerilla war. They policy of 100 Palistinian deaths for every 1 Israeli death cannot be sustained in a ground war where hundreds of IDF soldiers are killed.

I find it hard to understand how a Jewish nation can behave like this towards another civilisation, it's only 50 odd years ago that their own people were tormented, have they extremely short memories or something??? You would think if anything, they would be able to accommodate the Palistinian people based on their own historical experiences and understand their oppression and suffering.

And again, in terms of scale, its one side that suffer the overwhelming number of deaths in that regard, over the last 4-5 decades.
    IRISH RAIL wrote:
    so you know of the 12 tsons of jacob of which judah was one who sere enslaved in Eygpt and then left under moses...

Theres a number of religous forums here for that kind of justification. Outside of them its really 'Argumentum ad Easter Bunny'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I find it hard to understand how a Jewish nation can behave like this towards another civilisation, it's only 50 odd years ago that their own people were tormented, have they extremely short memories or something??? You would think if anything, they would be able to accommodate the Palistinian people based on their own historical experiences and understand their oppression and suffering.

Hamas was formed to wipe Israel off the map, how is Israel going to accommodate that?

I'll believe it when I see it. They couldn't cope with the casualties,

In Gaza? The most dangerous thing they're likely to face is friendly fire incidents.

• Advertisement

0.7866!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Advertisement