Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Israeli = 155 Palestinians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

scary wrote: »
    and those elections ended last month.

Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sigh

yep cause in 4 years time this will be just a distant memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Boston wrote: »
    Its cool to be an apologists for Palestinian violence

It's not cool to be an apologist for violence from either side. I hope your reason for making the above statement is not because you are an apologist for Israeli violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Look at us, is there any hope for the future of humanity? I really do lose hope sometimes when we can't even find some sort of peace on a discussion forum. The search for peace beings within the individual, not through an external argument with others. Of course it's much easier to ignore your own crap and blame it on someone else.

Bloody basic stuff people, so fricking basic and we just can't grasp it. Sure let's just go kicking the crap out of each other cause it's worked so well in the past.

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Taking a step back here.

Hamas has to take some blame for what happened today.
    Firing rockets into your neighbors backgarden that can only lead to a much greater retaliation.

However, it is like taking a hammer to kill a fly.

Therefore is Israel blameless in this? To say otherwise mocks common sense and rational thinking. To portray one putting some blame on israel as anti-semite is just wrong and clouds all reasonable discussion. I wish someone could actually define it.

To say that this is just a war and all is fair in love and war is a "stick your head in the sand" thinking.

To be honest they deserve each other.

Just a question though. How do you think this will play in the Arab world? You think it will go down well?

There was much condemnation from a certain Iranians' Christmas message. Will the same people condemn this? I doubt it as it disturbs their clear thinking of right and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

The Palestinians only have 750 years of their 800 years to go.

A Palestinian state in 2750.

Won't that be cool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Palestinians never had a state to be occupied so comparing it to Ireland is just silly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

From Day 1 of Hamas being elected the Israelis and "international community" have done everything they could do to destroy the result of the election.

The Palestinians can elect who they want. But when the people they elect refuse to acknowledge the right of Israel to exist, they can't expect things to go entirely swimmingly and accept the obvious reprecussions of that action.

This obviously has to be sorted out with an agreement, not by lobbing explosives. However, Hamas and Israel both refuse to sit down and talk meaningfully with each other. Hamas because they don't think Israel should exist in the first place, and Israel because they see no point in negotiating with someone who doesn't acknowledge the existance of the person opposite them at the table.

On the other hand, one will note the very slow but definite progress prior to Hamas' election between Fatah which does acknowledge Israel's right to exist, and the fact that Fatah-controlled West Bank is not really involved in the current unpleasantness. Why is that?

NTM

Why is that?

Classic divide and conquer tactics by Israel.

Where the palistines never miss an opportunity to miss and opportunity so the speak, Israel never miss an opportunity to flex their muscle's and eak out an advantage they can use later.

Any you would swear that the west bank is a paradise right now, which it clearly isnt. Refer to my first line above to where all this is going.....

Palestinians never had a state to be occupied so comparing it to Ireland is just silly

Depends on your loose interpretation on of a state. There was never a state of Ireland before 1914. Nor was there a state of Poland, Iraq, Israel, etc. But what makes a nation state?
    The answer to that question will answer why the idea of a Palestinian state is one not one to dismiss. To do so is blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭m3hm3t

israil will say, well i got the money, i gotthe power, i got the 1 ton .. to throw next door, so all of you be quite, or do want a peace of me also:)

well well, history repeats.:D now i call it post modern terror :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

The Palestinians can elect who they want. But when the people they elect refuse to acknowledge the right of Israel to exist, they can't expect things to go entirely swimmingly and accept the obvious reprecussions of that action.

This is propaganda. Hamas and by extension Palestinians don't deserve to be bombed and killed because their elected leaders don't "recognise" Israel. The fact they have offered a ceasefire and negotiation with Israel is conveniently forgotten. It is Israel who refuses to negotiate with Hamas, not the other way around. Don't forget that.
    This obviously has to be sorted out with an agreement, not by lobbing explosives. However, Hamas and Israel both refuse to sit down and talk meaningfully with each other.

Hamas has offered Israel a 10 year ceasefire. More than once this offer has been made. This is an inconvenient fact.
    On the other hand, one will note the very slow but definite progress prior to Hamas' election between Fatah which does acknowledge Israel's right to exist, and the fact that Fatah-controlled West Bank is not really involved in the current unpleasantness. Why is that?NTM

Because Fatah have accepted what Israel want them to accept. Hamas has not. This latest slaughter is about as much related to Hamas rockets as WWII was related to Germany's invasion of Poland. You're missing as much context describing it as being related to Hamas rockets.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    60 Israeli missiles to Hamas 450 plus missiles is hardly disproportionate

Would the amount of people killed and hurt not be a far more relevant measure? Or does the scale of death not matter any more?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The fact they have offered a ceasefire and negotiation with Israel is conveniently forgotten

What's the point in negotiating with someone you don't believe exists? Just what does your word mean to or more to the point, that of the person you're negotiating with? It's the most fundamental pre-condition you can come up with. I can promise you anything, but if I don't think you are worthy even of existance, then where's the meaning of keeping my word?

In any case, they tried a six-month ceasefire, let alone a ten-year one. That didn't seem to be all that successful either.
    Classic divide and conquer tactics by Israel

Both WB and Gaza were heading in the same general direction until Hamas took over in Gaza. The divisions were happily created by the Palestinians.
    Any you would swear that the west bank is a paradise right now, which it clearly isnt.

All things are relative. One of the two locations is not lobbing many rockets or bombs at Israel, and is not receiving many rockets or bombs back. I would consider this a very great improvement over the other location. If memory serves, it's not blockaded anywhere near as severely either. There were very definite, if slow, steps towards Palestinian statehood in the works before the Palestinian schism. It seems they got impatient.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

it seems that someone has lost the meaning of "proportional response"
    There is no such thing. It is a myth. Always has been and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

PeakOutput wrote: »

the palestinian government either needs to ask for help to get rid of the terrorists or it needs to get rid of them themselves if they dont then you have to wonder why they dont?

i think neither side is right here and its very easy for us to sit here thousands of miles away and judge peoples decisions when rockets are being fired in both directions

1) These 'Terrorists' were freely elected in the Gaza strip.
    2) Palestinians have being under siege for over a year, even in what the Israelis class as the legit government of the Fatah West Bank they have dozens upon dozens of checkpoints which disrupts life hugely and they still use incursions and have killed many people there so their lies about how well the West Bank is working is hypocritical to say the least.

the_syco wrote: »
    Versus... how many Israeli's do the Palestinian suicide bombers usually kill?
    I think there has being 1 suicide bomb in 2-3 years.

Oh, so now war has to be fair? Both sides bomb civilian areas. That's the long and short of it. Israel is better at it then Hamas, that's all.
    You mean Israel+US is better than Hamas.

Why is it you feel to need to down play the war crimes of hamas while also exaggerating the actions of the Israelis
    war crimes you talk about?
    Ariel Sharon was the biggest war criminal around that area after his massacre on Southern Lebanon in the early 80's, but no Hague or wipe out for him, no sir he get's elected as Prime Minister!
    Most of the blames in the middle East lay with the US.
    Your arguments in this thread are a cross between being pretty poor or hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The UN has comdemned these attacks as has our own Government, it might be time for the US to start rethinking their support for this Israel state of terrorists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

IRISH RAIL wrote: »

I would advice you go a do some light history reading before making such statments.

This post has been deleted.
    Yes it is, its previous leader was a wanted war criminal.
    It uses cluster bombs in civilian areas, it illegally occupies foreign territory and it defies UN directives.
    It has thousands upon thousands of Palestinian prisoners held for years without any charges/trial dates.

Villain wrote: »
    The UN has comdemned these attacks as has our own Government, it might be time for the US to start rethinking their support for this Israel state of terrorists
    The UN like most countries are still scared of the US, they always mention both sides when we all know its 99% one side. ;)

Syria are no angels
    Compared to the US or Israel they're whiter than white.

I suggest you read the forum charter.
    aahhh the guy whose location is......

Keep your tongue put away sir! :)

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    At grabbing another 18% of foreign land yes it did!

I can make my own decision on things, The US are the only ones who have the bottle to say what most countries really think.
    That is the most hilarious post I've read this year!!
    Surely the US which is the strongest country in the world says 1 thing then it's far easier for other countries to say it?
    Jeez some of you guys crack me up. :D

http://cosmos.ucc.ie/cs1064/jabowen/IPSC/ipsc/displayEvent.php?eventID=492

For Dublin people protest at the Spire at 1pm at Israel's massacre.

Occupation_101.avi

Interesting watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Inquitus wrote: »
    Theres no difference, there are 2 terrorist states, conducting terrorist campaigns on each others soil. Both should be censured and sanctioned by the international community.

I think they are completly different, one is a heavly armed, spoiled child let lose on a group of internationally unrecognised "humans"!
    The palestinians would welcome a "real" international committee to oversee and monitor the situation while both sides work out a solid solution...however Israel would not favor this at all...they don't want anyone to tell them "you've been a bad little child, go to your room!" ...any criticism to Israel is seen as anti semitic...some one really should read them the story of the boy who cired Wolf!

I am semitic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Suff wrote: »
    The palestinians would welcome a "real" international committee to oversee and monitor the situation while both sides work out a solid solution
    Possibly but would Hamas? I sincerely doubt it. Things have been beyond mere talking and diplomacy for decades. What is happening is just a continuation of a very vicious circle.
    Suff wrote: »
    any criticism to Israel is seen as anti semitic
    No, its not hence the very shaky rainbow coalition and very divided electorate in the country. Some of their govt and military's harshest critics are Israeli and live there.

Advertisement