Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Israeli = 155 Palestinians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So why don't they bomb the hell out of Gaza? Why use such reserve, when they could end the whole thing in a matter of days?

As I said earlier. There is a limit to what even Israel can get away with. I think genocide, would be kinda hard to come up with excuse for.

A couple of incidents and the Israeli's can trot out there old excuses and come out just fine, but with genocide, that would be a little bit harder.

Again, I will ask the same question. Seeing as that incidents like this in the past have not negatively effected Israel. They know they can get away with it. Why wouldn't they do this sort of thing? Nothing negative will happen due to Israel actions at all. They know what they can get away with and will do as they please within those parameters.

Also, the blockade of 1.5 million people, they got away with that easily enough. The collective punishment of the entire population of Gaza, and nothing has been done about it. You seem to ignore that Israel gets away with a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Reading the several pages since I last checked earlier, and seeing an otherwise astute observation made by Manic Moran, with attached question as to what would the IDF gain from blockading aid. I'm not sure if it was Manic who also asked what the IDF would seek to gain from firing on a UN convoy.

The answer is quite simple.

Witnesses.

The IDF don't want foreign personnel - be they UN, ICRC/PRC, or anyone else in Gaza (in this particular instance; in 2006 it was southern Lebanon, etc. etc. and rinse repeat). Especially not journalists. Because then independent third-party reports (and even worse, reports corroborated with pictures or video) would start to leak. And with the amount of indiscriminate (at best) fire bouncing around there'd be plenty of opportunity.

So what do they do? Target these organisations until such time as they have no recourse but to pull most of not all of their support personnel out of the region for safety's sake. Problem solved. No more witnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Sand wrote: »
    The UN and Hamas share staff to some degree.

When the UN hire such a large number of Palestinians, it's inevitable that some, if not in Hamas when they begin employment, become coopted into Hamas at a later date or perhaps become radicalised at some point in between. Inevitable.
    Even local members of the UN who arent Hamas members could have very strong sympathies with Hamas. Hence, UN statements and investigations have to be taken with a large pinch of salt as they are based on local staff testimony.

Show me one statement from a UN official in Gaza who is a Palestinian? As I've said before, I trust statements from non-Palestinian UN officials in Gaza, such as John Ging. There is no reason in the world to doubt his integrity. Basement level employees of the UN in Gaza do not make official UN statements. Nor have I ever seen anybody take testimony from them as Gospel fact.
    Lets not forget, the UN relies on the goodwill of Hamas to operate in the Gaza strip. It cannot get confrontational with Hamas.

That doesn't mean they basically go into the guerilla war with them or turn a blind eye. It's beside the point anyway, I agree with the original article posted. It's a fair article. Refer back to it if you want to know my opinion.
    Why? The Israeli fire wasnt directed at the school. It merely landed near the school. The Israelis claim they were taking fire from a position, they returned fire, and the shrapnel hit the school. If there were Hamas fighters there, then it would support the IDF claims.

Did you answer the Bloody Sunday analogy? In my opinion, it doesn't matter. I have good reason to doubt the IDF version of events, strong reasons, but even if the IDF version of events are 100% accurate it's still a terrible crime. They shouldn't even be there in the first place. Pedantic arguments following the deaths of 40 people from Israeli shells are irrelevant to me.
    No one has come up with a good reason for why the IDF would deliberately target a UN school for no cause, sparking of a PR ****storm. Was it just that they felt especially evil that day?

I and others have given plenty of valid reasons. For a start, the IDF has a history of attacking, massacring in fact, dozens of civilians sheltering under UN protection. There is precedent for these terrorist atrocities. They have a history of attacking UN staff and soldiers. We have had at least 3 incidents of in 2 days. I find it extremely hard to believe, given the IDF were fully aware, in great detail, of the movements and positions of UN staff and buildings, that these were all simply "mistakes". I'll repeat, if past instances are any indication of future behaviour, then the balance of probability rests heavily on it being a deliberate attack on the UN.

There is no evidence they give a damn about the Palestinians. Whywoulthey have a militarily ineffective rocket campaign, launched from civillian areas that only served to provoke IDF retaliation which they cannot defend the Palestinian people from? What purpose does that serve?

This is an equally valid way of looking at it: because when Israel assassinated 5 Hamas members, Hamas felt they had to respond militarily. Hamas were provoked and felt they had no choice.

Maybe they felt, seeing as they had offered Israel negotiations, that Israel would opt for negotiations and an end to violence, rather than a full scale bombing campaign and ground invasion, the destruction of the government infrastructure of the Gaza strip and the slaughter of 1,000 Palestinians, in their naivety, God bless them.

An equally valid way of looking at it from your side is this: Hamas wanted a new ceasefire, minus the blockade and assassinations but as Israel was intent of maintaining the blockade (read: collective punishment) and assassinating people, Hamas responded in kind.

This thing didn't start 2 weeks ago, it has being going on since Hamas was democratically elected. As soon as they were elected, the campaign to collectively punish Palestinians and destroy Hamas once and for all, began.
    Even the most anti-Israeli poster on this thread would agree that Hamas doesnt give a damn about the Palestinians. That is why all pleas to take actions save the Palestinians are directed to Israel, not to Hamas. No one bothers wasting their time appealing to Hamas to compromise to protect Palestinians civillians.

You're wrong, even the most anti-Israeli (for anti-Israeli read anti-Israeli military aggression and expansionism) doesn't agree. Stating so doesn't make it true.

Hamas are not slaughtering Palestinians civilians. Israel are. You are expressing an utterly warped logic. Blame the victim! It's as old as the hills and absolutely standard propaganda when mounting an operation like Israel has done. Hamas do not have tanks or F16s, are not launching a full scale ground invasion, are not occupying another nation's land, are not building settlements on it, are not bombing UN buildings, are not imposing a blockade ("we'll put them on a diet" - Israeli Minister - sounds like he cares a lot for Palestinians), are not shelling UN food convoys, are not banning journalists from reporting on it, are not destroying Israel's infrastructure and are not responsible for the deaths of 1,000 Palestinians. They are not blameless but giving them all of the blame is myopic and illogical beyond words.
    Everyone recognises that Israel cares more about the Palestinian people than Hamas does. The Palestinian government is a death cult which urges its people to kill themselves and praises useless, meaningless death.

Obviously not everyone. Israel cares about the Palestinians? What utter madness. Turn on a TV station please, even a crooked one.
    Nope, they want the blockade to end, so they can get weapons and ammunition into Gaza so they can strike Israel more often. They do not want all hostilities to end. They merely wish for a truce [ not peace, a temporary ceasefire, but never peace] until they are ready to destroy Israel.

"Nope, I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and squeal out propaganda statements".
    Israel wants peace. Hamas wants a ceasefire. Thats the difference.

"We would welcome talks with Tony Blair. We would like to work with him and work with his government to help end the Israeli occupation. We're sending a message to the British government - we're offering a hudna [ceasefire] for 10 years in return for the end of occupation.
    "We hope the Europeans will become aware of the concept of hudna, and that it can become a substitute for recognition of Israel,""Debate about a political nation's right to exist seems infantile. Israel is a state now, it is part of the UN, it is de facto there, and we deal with it every day.""We need to change people's minds on how they look at the conflict, and it will take time. The climate will change if we have a period of peace."

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sterzlr

Well if you delve a little deeper into the news and don't just watch RTE / BBC / CNN / SKY you will discover that this latest sorry mess was started by the Israelis again. They broke the truce by invading into Palestine in which they killed a number of people. Then Hamas launched rockets back into Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭munchester29

sterzlr wrote: »
    Well if you delve a little deeper into the news and don't just watch RTE / BBC / CNN / SKY you will discover that this latest sorry mess was started by the Israelis again. They broke the truce by invading into Palestine in which they killed a number of people. Then Hamas launched rockets back into Israel.

Rewriting history already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

wes wrote: »
    Okay firstly Memri:
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=MEMRI

Have a read. There not a thrust worthy source.

Eh? I don't know anything about Memri, I provided a link to Reuters.

Secondly, you have any proof people are lieing in the current incident? Remember, its not the Palestinian members of the UN, who are just saying what happened. You seem to have no issue believe what Peter Hansen is saying. Why not believe what current UN representatives are saying then?
    I have no proof that they are lieing, I never said that they are. What I am saying, and have proven by some of those examples, is that sometimes they do not know what is going on, they have been infiltrated (so to speak) in the past and it would be naive to assume that this is not currently the case too.

This is completely unrelated to the school case, but on that, while the UNWRA may be 99.9% sure there were no militants inside the school, would you concede that they may have been outside or nearby?

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1870087,00.html

In fact, they are admitting this themselves now...

"Christopher Gunness of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) said the organization is 99.9 percent certain there were no militants or military activity in its school.
    That does not necessarily contradict Israel's claim that the militants were operating close by, Gunness said. "
    http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1053455.html

As I said, this is war, **** happens, especially in urban warfare. The IDF killed 3-4 of their own men in a building just a day or two ago.
    Also, the IDF have hardly been truthful in the past themselves.
    I said that I've heard enough lies from either side, I never made nor ever will make any claims that the IDF have not lied. It's a matter of record that they have.

Rewriting history already?

Who is rewriting history? The Guardian are at it too?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/05/israelandthepalestinians
    Gaza truce broken as Israeli raid kills six Hamas gunmen

A four-month ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza was in jeopardy today after Israeli troops killed six Hamas gunmen in a raid into the territory.

Hamas responded by firing a wave of rockets into southern Israel, although no one was injured.

I have no proof that they are lieing, I never said that they are. What I am saying, and have proven by some of those examples, is that sometimes they do not know what is going on, they have been infiltrated (so to speak) in the past and it would be naive to assume that this is not currently the case too.

Why is this argument repeatedly ignored. Average, everyday Palestinian UN-employed workers do not make official statements on behalf of the UN. I have only read statements from non-Palestinians UN officials. Therefore the point about the UN's statements being unreliable is horse****e. Unless you have other reasons for doubting the integrity of people like John Ging.

Eh? I don't know anything about Memri, I provided a link to Reuters.

You posted a Youtube video at the end of your post:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0wJXf2nt4Y

The video is from Memri.

Have they ever lied about it? Your own quotes show the UN at least admit to some of it. If the UN building was infiltrated by Hamas, it seems to me that there officials would say so.
    This is completely unrelated to the school case, but on that, while the UNWRA may be 99.9% sure there were no militants inside the school, would you concede that they may have been outside or nearby?

I honestly don't know either way.
    http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1870087,00.html

In fact, they are admitting this themselves now...

"Christopher Gunness of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) said the organization is 99.9 percent certain there were no militants or military activity in its school.
    That does not necessarily contradict Israel's claim that the militants were operating close by, Gunness said. "
    http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1053455.html

As I said, this is war, **** happens, especially in urban warfare. The IDF killed 3-4 of their own men in a building just a day or two ago.

I said that I've heard enough lies from either side, I never made nor ever will make any claims that the IDF have not lied. It's a matter of record that they have.

I still find the UN far more thrust worthy than the IDF personally.

Also, the links you provide, show that UN are giving a fair account of things. They basically admit that they don't know if there militants near by, as opposed to inside the building.

You're wrong, even the most anti-Israeli (for anti-Israeli read anti-Israeli military aggression and expansionism) doesn't agree. Stating so doesn't make it true.

I placed a youtube link in an earlier post, from the mouth of Hamas themselves...

"Fathi Hammad: [The enemies of Allah] do not know that the Palestinian people has developed its methods of death and death-seeking. For the Palestinian people, death has become an industry, at which women excel, and so do all the people living on this land. The elderly excel at this, and so do the mujahideen and the children. This is why they have formed human shields of the women, the children, the elderly, and the mujahideen, in order to challenge the Zionist bombing machine. It is as if they were saying to the Zionist enemy: "We desire death like you desire life."

Doesn't sound to me much like they care about their people.
    They are not blameless but giving them all of the blame is myopic and illogical beyond words.

I'm sorry, but 'proportionality' is bull**** when it comes to war. Israel are responsible for the deaths of civilians, nobody can deny that, but I blame Hamas for being completely and utterly psychopathic ****wits who have led their people into this useless war in the full knowledge of what would happen.

• Advertisement

You posted a Youtube video at the end of your post:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0wJXf2nt4Y

The video is from Memri.

Ah, right. However, I have no reason to doubt the veracity of it's contents unless you know something I don't (in which case I'll gladly allow I made a bollix of myself by posting it :pac:) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

This 'breaking the ceasefire' thing is starting to annoy me now - Hamas fired into Israel every month of the 'ceasefire'. Israel fired back or instigated them with border incursions. Some ceasefire.

Ah, right. However, I have no reason to doubt the veracity of it's contents unless you know something I don't (in which case I'll gladly allow I made a bollix of myself by posting it :pac:) ?

See, I know Hamas say that kinda of stuff, but I also know Memri like to re-cut video's to make things even worse than they are or to fabricate something new.

So personally, I never trust Memri videos.

I'm sorry, but 'proportionality' is bull**** when it comes to war. Israel are responsible for the deaths of civilians, nobody can deny that, but I blame Hamas for being completely and utterly psychopathic ****wits who have led their people into this useless war in the full knowledge of what would happen.

I'm sorry, but 'proportionality' is bull**** when it comes to war. Israel are responsible for the deaths of almost all of the civilians, nobody can deny that, and I blame Israel for being completely and utterly psychopathic ****wits who have led their people into this useless war in the full knowledge of what would happen.

Both sides could say the exact same thing. It's an equally valid way of looking at it, at least. Unfortunately some mindsets cannot see both ways and never will.

Ehud Olmert said that taking Gaza again would be completely futile and counter-productive, I agree with him. You don't.

concussion wrote: »
    This 'breaking the ceasefire' thing is starting to annoy me now - Hamas fired into Israel every month of the 'ceasefire'. Israel fired back or instigated them with border incursions. Some ceasefire.

Israel were suppose to ease the blockade as well, during the cease fire. Instead it tightened it.

Plenty of blame to go round with this round of fighting.

See, I know Hamas say that kinda of stuff, but I also know Memri like to re-cut video's to make things even worse than they are or to fabricate something new.

So personally, I never trust Memri videos.

I get ye, I don't trust any videos myself without hearing the providence behind them. However, in this case I'm almost certain that the speech hasn't been 'edited' (goes off to hunt!)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭munchester29

Israel were suppose to ease the blockade as well, during the cease fire. Instead it tightened it.

Plenty of blame to go round with this round of fighting.

Not true - the border passes were open, as long as Hamas didn't attack Israel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Was just reading the posts since i logged off, PapaQuebec came along with the oul "antisemitic" rubbish, a few more blinker wearing zionist sympathisers showed up, same lame excuses that have been disposed of hundreds of threads back, same old same old.
    And 'GASP' still in blind denial of facts.

[quote=youcrazyjesus!;58521418
    Ehud Olmert said that taking Gaza again would be completely futile and counter-productive, I agree with him. You don't.[/quote]

Er, if you could show me where I said any such thing I'd appreciate it ? As a matter of fact I would agree that taking Gaza would be completely and utterly stupid so please don't try to put words in my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

was watching bbc news

778 palestinians dead

18 israelis

will this madness stop, BBC says

UN is stopping deliveries of food after their driver was shot by IDF (even tho they were given assurances they wont get shot at they were being shot at by IDF continuusly for last few days)

Red Cross who are usually impartial are alleging that IDF put a blind eye on a house where they knew there were people starving and dying (they setup a post next to it)

• Advertisement

The UN and the media were reporting on the tightening of the blockade constantly for the past 6 months. So it is very true.

Also, plenty of links, quotes etc on this thread back this up.

Here is one I don't think was posted:
    Israeli blockade 'forces Palestinians to search rubbish dumps for food'

Trying to pretend the blockade wasn't tightened is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

No, these pictures and video clips were shown on all major networks and web sites - Sky, BBC, even CNN.
    So apparently my arse makes better arguments than you

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7814490.stm

Munchester: Israel does not do propaganda like the palestinians do, showing dead children etc.

marius: But you just showed us photos of Israeli propaganda of dead children....is that not a bit of a contradiction

Munchester: No no, the website those photos are from is not an Israeli government website, so it is not propaganda..

marius: hmmmm ok, that is not how I would define propaganda but lets go with your definition and see if we can make sense of your post.
    By your definition the pictures of dead palistinian children need to be from official Palestinian government websites in order to be propaganda......but they are not...so what was your point exactly?

Munchester: --ignores marius' post--....Look - here is a link from the BBC showing Israel being bad......PROPAGANDA I tell you.......

Eh.....hmmmm.....I didn't realise the British Broadcasting Corporation was owned by the Palistinian government....

Now - if you want to argue that the stories on the British Broadcasting Corporations website is palestinian propaganda then surely you have to admit that the images from.....wait for it..............www.zionism-israel.com - that you posted....
    might......just might....be defined as propaganda.........no?...too much of a stretch?

Rockets are a pretext and the blockade is directed at toppling Hamas. Proof below.

From the New York Times, hardly biased against Israel:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/14/world/middleeast/14mideast.html?_r=1

After the Hamas takeover, Israel sealed its border crossings with Gaza, on the grounds that the Fatah forces had fled and were no longer providing security on the other side.

Israel also decided to press Hamas by admitting to Gaza only the minimum amount of goods required to avert a hunger or health crisis among its 1.5 million people, and prohibiting most exports. Israel contends that its approach is working.

“Hamas’s popularity is suffering, because it cannot deliver,” Mark Regev, a spokesman for Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, said Thursday. A combination of military pressure, diplomatic isolation and economic leverage “is leading to an erosion of their strength,” Mr. Regev said.

An economic adviser to Ismail Haniya, the Hamas chief in Gaza, said that Hamas had been “willing since July for the United Nations or a private company to take control of the crossings.” But “Israel and the Ramallah government don’t accept that,” he said Thursday.
    He added that Hamas would “not reject any party that is acceptable to Israel,” as long as it was “transparent and credible” — a veiled reference to widespread charges of corruption when Fatah was in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Show me one statement from a UN official in Gaza who is a Palestinian? As I've said before, I trust statements from non-Palestinian UN officials in Gaza, such as John Ging. There is no reason in the world to doubt his integrity. Basement level employees of the UN in Gaza do not make official UN statements. Nor have I ever seen anybody take testimony from them as Gospel fact.

John Ging is a figurehead for the UN operation. His statements rely on evidence provided and collected by ground level UN operatives. Who as you note yourself, are inevitably compromised by Hamas affiliation. John Ging might be totally honest in stating that the UN investigation has discovered there was no Hamas fighters there. He can be totally honest, and totally wrong.
    Did you answer the Bloody Sunday analogy? In my opinion, it doesn't matter. I have good reason to doubt the IDF version of events, strong reasons, but even if the IDF version of events are 100% accurate it's still a terrible crime. They shouldn't even be there in the first place. Pedantic arguments following the deaths of 40 people from Israeli shells are irrelevant to me.

No, I didnt bother as its A) a terrible analogy and B) a waste of time. I could argue back and forth that Hamas were the root cause of the tragedy by using civillians as cover for their attacks, drawing in IDF retaliation to civillian areas, but youve already reached a conclusion and dont want to be bothered by silly things like facts.
    I and others have given plenty of valid reasons. For a start, the IDF has a history of attacking, massacring in fact, dozens of civilians sheltering under UN protection. There is precedent for these terrorist atrocities. They have a history of attacking UN staff and soldiers. We have had at least 3 incidents of in 2 days. I find it extremely hard to believe, given the IDF were fully aware, in great detail, of the movements and positions of UN staff and buildings, that these were all simply "mistakes". I'll repeat, if past instances are any indication of future behaviour, then the balance of probability rests heavily on it being a deliberate attack on the UN.

No, you havent given any motivation. Your paragraph above doesnt provide a motivation - it just notes the inevitable reality that when people are in a warzone its possible they will be caught in the crossfire, especially when one side uses civillians for cover and has infiltrated the UN and other international aid organisations. Thats not a motivation.
    This is an equally valid way of looking at it: because when Israel assassinated 5 Hamas members, Hamas felt they had to respond militarily. Hamas were provoked and felt they had no choice.

In a militarily ineffective fashion. They might as well have jumped on horseback and rode up to the Israeli border to take on their tanks with slingshots. But I suppose they wouldnt have been able to bring civillians along with them for cover then.

Whatever way you look at it, Hamas considers the lives of Palestinians to be worthless in comparison to its need to hit Israel in even the most pointless, ineffective fashion.
    Hamas are not slaughtering Palestinians civilians. Israel are. You are expressing an utterly warped logic. Blame the victim!

Hamas are not victims. They are an organisation that praises Palestinian death over Palestinian life, and prefers to kill 1 Israeli civillian, even if it leads to 200 Palestinian civillians dead in return. The civillians, on both sides, are the victims.
    "We would welcome talks with Tony Blair. We would like to work with him and work with his government to help end the Israeli occupation. We're sending a message to the British government - we're offering a hudna [ceasefire] for 10 years in return for the end of occupation.
    "We hope the Europeans will become aware of the concept of hudna, and that it can become a substitute for recognition of Israel,""Debate about a political nation's right to exist seems infantile. Israel is a state now, it is part of the UN, it is de facto there, and we deal with it every day.""We need to change people's minds on how they look at the conflict, and it will take time. The climate will change if we have a period of peace."

I state that Hamas is not interested in peace, only a ceasefire. And you post a lot of stuff to agree?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It seems that the confusion over the truck/aid worker thing is continuing.

The confident reports that the truck was hit by tank shells would appear to be in conflict with the fact that the three victims (one dead, two wounded) are in an Israeli hospital with gunshot wounds, not fragmentation. So there is a very definite and provable hole in the UN side of the story to begin with.

In the meantime, an MDA medic is saying gunfire came from the Palestinian side. The IDF still doesn't seem to have a clue as to what happened, and MDA and PRC can't even agree as to who went in to collect the wounded and how they ended up in an Israeli hospital.

Even the UN Spokesman (Mr Miron) doesn't seem to know if the truck was coming or going. The UN director, Mr Ging, is also not certain that the fire came from the Israeli side. He was asked a direct question by a reporter on issue. He says "There is a conflict going on." At least he's got his head screwed on right.

Yet apparently we have uncontrovertible proof of Israeli wrongdoing...

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But where is the logic then?

You are allowed to kill your own people who cooperate with the enemy, yet at the same time, you are not allowed to kill your enemy?

When did I ever say I didn't think the Palestinians shoudn't take on the IDF? Admittedly they usually go the wrong way about it and get slaughtered, but the general principle of them using armed force (as they're blocked from legal recourse) is fine with me.

I think you have me confused with another poster.
    Sand wrote:
    No one has come up with a good reason for why the IDF would deliberately target a UN school for no cause?

They've done it before using snipers. I couldn't tell you why they did it then either.
    Sand wrote:
    Nope, they want the blockade to end, so they can get weapons and ammunition into Gaza so they can strike Israel more often

These are the people with the homemade rockets and AK's for an arsenal....All this talk of massive weapon smuggling is rather comical in light of whats going on at the moment.
    Sand wrote:
    Israel wants peace.

....so it can get back to consolidating its hold on the West Bank and Arab East Jerusalem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Ok a few vids showing human shields at "work". Hamas got swanky new Israeli uniforms by the way. Then a U.N. official telling us that the Israeli army LIED about Hamas using civilians as human shields. MactheToaster you posted a video by some marmi guy that someone here doesnt trust, on the subtitles(I DONT SPEAK THE LANGUAGE) if what the man is supposadly saying is that the people will protect them, I havent seen a video showing Hamas forcing anybody to be a human shield, if you or ANYBODY here have one please post it, if not look at these videos and stay quiet with the human shield, and munchester you seem to have a memory like my goldfish, write it above your monitor not to bring up human shield again.

Sand wrote: »
    John Ging might be totally honest in stating that the UN investigation has discovered there was no Hamas fighters there. He can be totally honest, and totally wrong.

I trust him to make a judgement, I'm sure he's aware of such things. And as I've said, it's irrelevant whether Hamas were 100 yards away or 10 miles away. What happened to Israeli surgical strikes?
    No, I didnt bother as its A) a terrible analogy

In your opinion, I think it's a damn good analogy.
    and B) a waste of time. I could argue back and forth that Hamas were the root cause of the tragedy by using civillians as cover for their attacks, drawing in IDF retaliation to civillian areas, but youve already reached a conclusion and dont want to be bothered by silly things like facts.

Hang on, what facts are there that Hamas was beside the school? I'd be interested to know how it has become fact. There is no evidence and the statements we have heard say it's almost certainly untrue. On the other side we have the "word" of IDF, previous investigations into similar massacres have proved they are liars who deliberately slaughtered civilians. As I've said, the balance of probablity rests heavily against Israel

No, you havent given any motivation.

What I meant to say was that if you're bothered to read the thread, you'll see that we've covered motiviation. Myself and at least 1 other poster. Furthermore, the lack of a motive does not mean it didn't happen. Saying "oh, there's no motivation, therefore the IDF is right" is stupid.
    Your paragraph above doesnt provide a motivation - it just notes the inevitable reality that when people are in a warzone its possible they will be caught in the crossfire, especially when one side uses civillians for cover and has infiltrated the UN and other international aid organisations. Thats not a motivation.

Did you read what I said? I said the IDF deliberately massacred civilians in previous attacks, they used rocket fire as a pretext and instead of targetting the rocket fire, targetted civilians sheltering in a UN compound. I said if past form is an indication of future performance then you have to strongly suspect Israel is wrong in what it says, it lies routinely, the UN do not.

And it's not inevitable if you target civilians deliberately. It's not "inevitable" that civilians will be caught in the "crossfire" if the UN provide a high level of detail to the IDF and are still attacked anyway. The UN and aid organisations hire citizens to perform tasks, we were given 3 examples from 6 years ago, 2 from the West Bank of this type of thing. Any proof that the latest attacks, excuse me, latest 3 attacks on locations the IDF knew were civilian areas, were the result of infiltration by Hamas is welcome.

Civilian deaths are happening because Israel has launched a full scale ground invasion into Gaza and has killed civilians with shells and mortars (including mosques, two UN schools and a UN food truck - all of course, without exception, Hamas launching pads), not because of Hamas rockets from 2 weeks ago or because somebody, probably not true but anyway, launched a mortar from somewhere within a shouting distance of a UN school.
    In a militarily ineffective fashion. They might as well have jumped on horseback and rode up to the Israeli border to take on their tanks with slingshots. But I suppose they wouldnt have been able to bring civillians along with them for cover then.

I always see this claim that Hamas jump out from behind 50 expectant mothers and fire an RPG before cowering behind them again, yet it's never been reference by you or anybody as stated fact in a mainstream newspaper. Please do so.
    Whatever way you look at it, Hamas considers the lives of Palestinians to be worthless in comparison to its need to hit Israel in even the most pointless, ineffective fashion.

That's a statement, based on no referenced facts that you or anybody else has provided. And I could just as easily turn around and state: whatever way you look at it, Israel considers the lives of Palestinians to be worthless in comparison to its need to hit Hamas in even the most pointless, counter-productive fashion.

Who is right and wrong? I don't know, but I do know who is carrying out mass destruction and slaughtering civilians who, having been told to leave their homes in order to spare their own lives, are then slaughtered by Israeli shells when they do so. It's a disgrace and shame on your for justifying it.
    Hamas are not victims.

I agree, they're not.
    They are an organisation that praises Palestinian death over Palestinian life, and prefers to kill 1 Israeli civillian, even if it leads to 200 Palestinian civillians dead in return. The civillians, on both sides, are the victims.

Yes, Hamas are bloodthirsty savages, rampaging around the Gaza Strip like zombies from 28 Days Later. They eat children.

I state that Hamas is not interested in peace, only a ceasefire. And you post a lot of stuff to agree?

Come off it. This is "hudna", far more sold than a ceasefire for a start and would form the basis of a permanent solution to the problem. They specifically state it's a de facto recognition of Israel. If you're stating that Hamas will simply count down to 10 years and start fighting again and go back to square 1 then you are deluded. I'm sure all of these issues could be cleared up by negotiations anyway, why not test Hamas out? If you're serious about peace, why not go along with world opinion, international law, Jimmy Carter, Ehud Olmert, Barack Obama, the Arab States, the former head of Mossad and 80% of Palestinians have to say on the subject and negotiate a solution based on 1967's borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

A simple question for our right wing Israeli posters here, could Israel in your view under any circumstances ever do ANY wrong,
    "Please get your heads out of the sand"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

One thing thats interesting - assuming a deal is reached, what sort of fallout would hit the Israeli domestic scene if the release of Gilat Shalit [ assuming he hasnt been murdered yet ] wasnt part of that deal?

Its got to be a high priority for Israeli negotiators, a big PR victory in bringing their guy home.

Advertisement