Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.D. Scam

Options
  • 27-12-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi all,

Going to have a bit of a rant here, but here it goes....

My brother decided to get a new TV today in the sales, so I went with him to see what offers were on. We went to Power City first to have a look. My brother had his eye on a 32 inch LG which they were selling for €399. We took note and went to D.I.D. to see if they were doing the same deal.

So we get there and see that the LG is €499. Knowing that they match prices and give you double the difference if other electical retailers are selling cheaper, we tell him that Power City are selling it at €399. The salesperson says "Oh well we need a written quote from them to prove it".

So to save a trip back to Power City, I got my phone out and got online and show him the Power City website showing the LG for €399. He goes off to check if this is valid enough proof and comes back saying "Yep, thats fine but you have to go to our Fonthill warehouse to collect it because he have none left here".

So we agree and then enquire about the double the difference back, and he says "Oh yeah, I just have to check that with the manager as i've never processed this before."

Saleperson comes back clutching a DID tag saying, "Actually, this TV is €399". Confused, my brother asks, "Well why is it priced up at €499 on the display model?"

"Oh eh, thats what price it usually is, but today its €399 for the first ten people who buy it and we have one left." (This was at 2pm today, so i'm pretty sure it was well snapped up early this morning.)

My brother starts kicking up a fuss about false advertisment and what not and then the manager tells us "that people cancel orders blah blah blah and that we have one left and thats why it is €399 still."

Brother walks out of the store telling the manager that its a scam and makes sure he lets other people standing around know it too. As we walk out the manager is still telling us that we can have it at €399 to which my brother repsonds that he'd rather deal with Power City.

The funny thing is, the salesperson never put the €399 price back on the display model, he put it back behind the counter.

So, I wonder has anyone every gotten "double the difference back" from DID or do they pull this scam on anyone that claims it. Don't think i'll be doing any business again with them in a hurry and i'll make sure I tell anyone I know to try and tarnish there image of having "guaranteed friendly knowledgeable service and Ireland’s lowest prices on top brand electrical goods."

Rant over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Just to help you, a scam is obtaining money by means of deception, now can you point out to me where D.I.D took your money my means of deception. Can you point out where you were you were scamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Get written price and photo from Power city. Go into DID. Buy it at €499 and then show them the proof and get double the difference back.

My mate works there and he says nobody has ever got double the difference back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Just to help you, a scam is obtaining money by means of deception, now can you point out to me where D.I.D took your money my means of deception. Can you point out where you were you were scamed.

The scam is that DID found away around their price promise and wouldn't honour it.

I'll match anyones price and if anyone is cheaper I'll give you a better price so the price is cheaper....except I won't as I'll always find away around it like saying ours our really the same price but we didn't tell anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

I think PG4000 is going over the top on this one. It seems a genuine mistake and the staff were doing their best.

While you may not love PowerCity or DID they are both Irish companies giving very good value for money over the last number of years. And they still have some excellent deals in these difficult times with the low sterling rate.

I have dealt with both companies over the years and never had a problem with them, I even picked up a TV in DID today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

ecodub wrote: »
    I even picked up a TV in DID today.

I hope you checked the price in power city first :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

ttm wrote: »
    The scam is that DID found away around their price promise and wouldn't honour it.

Thanks, I can see that but isn't that false advertising? too many people here are too quick to start shouting scam and rip off without knowing the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Only if you can point to a dictionary definition of a scam that says it has to involve obtaining money by means of deception. Just to help me, like.

The dictionary I'm looking at just says "a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation". Which DID's practices in this case are.

Thanks, I can see that but isn't that false advertising? too many people here are too quick to start shouting scam and rip off without knowing the facts.

On the whole I think Irish people are FAR TO SLOW TO START SHOUTING SCAM and just as slow to complian about anything....won't say anything as they might get shown up and what would the neighbours think?

False advertising is a scam just like any other scam just because we are on an online forum doens't mean we have to use an online definition of the word scam.

A quick shift + F7 of the word scam in MS Word gives me the Thesarus alternatives con, rip-off, cheat, trick, fiddle, swindle, sting and dodge. Pick anyone you like they all fit if the OP is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SauceMonster

You could try scam them yourself.....Im not sure if its the same in electrical goods stores but i remember hearing somewhere before that if the goods scan through the tills at a different price to the one displayed then you are entitled to get it for free........like i said, not sure if this applies to electrical goods so you might have to check it out but certainly in supermarkets and clothes stores....at the very least they could be reported to National Consumer Agency and hit with a fine for either one of two reasons, first that they had the wrong price displayed and two they are not honouring their "double the difference back" policy, which i assume they also advertise.

Stick it to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

.....Im not sure if its the same in electrical goods stores but i remember hearing somewhere before that if the goods scan through the tills at a different price to the one displayed then you are entitled to get it for free........

There is no way in hell that is true, i mean it's just ridiculous, i price is just an invitation to treat, it is not an offer. If i want to the till with a €2000 tv, and it scanned through as €20 that does not mean i can have it for €20, as the shop has the right to refuse to sell you anything. An invitation to treat is the step before making an offer, it's only when you the buyer approach the shop keeper with money are you making an offer.

• Advertisement

Im not sure if its the same in electrical goods stores but i remember hearing somewhere before that if the goods scan through the tills at a different price to the one displayed then you are entitled to get it for free

Tesco do this - if it scans though at a higher price you are entitled to it for free. That's a company policy rather than a legal entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

ecodub wrote: »
    I think PG4000 is going over the top on this one. It seems a genuine mistake and the staff were doing their best.

While you may not love PowerCity or DID they are both Irish companies giving very good value for money over the last number of years. And they still have some excellent deals in these difficult times with the low sterling rate.

I have dealt with both companies over the years and never had a problem with them, I even picked up a TV in DID today.

To be honest, I do prefer going to Power City or DID rather than Currys, Dixons etc because they are Irish owned and I agree that they still do great offers. I, and the rest of my family, have bought plenty from them over the years as their customer interaction is better than the bigger multi national chains.

I just got the impression that they knew that have been caught out and there was no way in hell that they were going to give us the €198 back in vouchers.

It wasn't like they came over and apologised for the price mix up, it was more, it IS €399 and there's nothing YOU can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

PG4000 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Going to have a bit of a rant here, but here it goes....

My brother decided to get a new TV today in the sales, so I went with him to see what offers were on. We went to Power City first to have a look. My brother had his eye on a 32 inch LG which they were selling for €399. We took note and went to D.I.D. to see if they were doing the same deal.

So we get there and see that the LG is €499. Knowing that they match prices and give you double the difference if other electical retailers are selling cheaper, we tell him that Power City are selling it at €399. The salesperson says "Oh well we need a written quote from them to prove it".

So to save a trip back to Power City, I got my phone out and got online and show him the Power City website showing the LG for €399. He goes off to check if this is valid enough proof and comes back saying "Yep, thats fine but you have to go to our Fonthill warehouse to collect it because he have none left here".

So we agree and then enquire about the double the difference back, and he says "Oh yeah, I just have to check that with the manager as i've never processed this before."

Saleperson comes back clutching a DID tag saying, "Actually, this TV is €399". Confused, my brother asks, "Well why is it priced up at €499 on the display model?"

"Oh eh, thats what price it usually is, but today its €399 for the first ten people who buy it and we have one left." (This was at 2pm today, so i'm pretty sure it was well snapped up early this morning.)

My brother starts kicking up a fuss about false advertisment and what not and then the manager tells us "that people cancel orders blah blah blah and that we have one left and thats why it is €399 still."

Brother walks out of the store telling the manager that its a scam and makes sure he lets other people standing around know it too. As we walk out the manager is still telling us that we can have it at €399 to which my brother repsonds that he'd rather deal with Power City.

The funny thing is, the salesperson never put the €399 price back on the display model, he put it back behind the counter.

So, I wonder has anyone every gotten "double the difference back" from DID or do they pull this scam on anyone that claims it. Don't think i'll be doing any business again with them in a hurry and i'll make sure I tell anyone I know to try and tarnish there image of having "guaranteed friendly knowledgeable service and Ireland’s lowest prices on top brand electrical goods."

Rant over!

bitter much?? Your brother made himself look like a tool today, and your making yourself look like a moany git.

so what they didnt give you the e200 back, you wouldnt have in that situation either, people do cancel orders and id be inclined to believe D.I.D,your luck was in they had the T.V for e399, and you go mental at the manager?? Im sure the person behind you said ill have that for e399.

id be careful of what you say about D.I.D, bitching doesnt make you look great tbh:o

The problem is that retailers have been getting away with crap adverts for ages, and people dont complain to the right people, they just bitch to their computer:rolleyes:.

sombody will be on later moaning about the DID service from the staff, people like you put a bad buzz on all employees for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, they did have only 10 of these offers on today? And maybe they gave the tenth offer to someone in the queue in the morning who ended up changing their mind? And as such, maybe they just had this offer lying around, a fact only the manager and some morning-shift staff knew about?

Instead of crying about a scam, maybe they were telling the truth? If they were scamming you, they wouldn't have told you they had a €399 offer available from the sale. They'd just tell you they were going to match the price and let it go that way.

I think if you go to Power City, Currys and DID you'll find prices don't vary an awful lot for the most part anyway, so today's sale offers (I know today DID had their "big" after Christmas sales) probably threw a bit of confusion around the place. As such I'd be inclined to say you over-reacted and didn't consider the day that was in it for the staff there.

As for trying to tarnish their reputation.. good luck. I don't go to these stores often, but I do tend to find DID on the friendly side. Not the cheapest in town, but I'd gladly pay for good service and after-sales then get pushed out the door with a €20 discount to shut me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I was looking at dysons in did and harvey norman and the price in hn was 100euro cheaper. I asked the shop assistant what way the double the difference worked and he said you have to get a written price from the other store and buy it in did before they give you the difference.
    I ran up to harvey Norman and asked the shop assistant to give me a price he did and I rang my husband to buy the product in did.
    He was buying it and they wouldnt put the product through, said there was a problem on the system....when the system price came through it was the same as HN:mad:
    I freaked it and told them that it was false advertising etc. The sales assistant in DID said that that was the way it worked and it was his job to check prices so I said to him could he give me a deal on the dyson that I actually wanted (it was dearer in HN but I wasnt telling him that) so he gave me the one I wanted 120E cheaper than hn and a free digital photo frame so I was very happy.:D

gonker wrote: »
    I was looking at dysons in did and harvey norman and the price in hn was 100euro cheaper. I asked the shop assistant what way the double the difference worked and he said you have to get a written price from the other store and buy it in did before they give you the difference.
    I ran up to harvey Norman and asked the shop assistant to give me a price he did and I rang my husband to buy the product in did.
    He was buying it and they wouldnt put the product through, said there was a problem on the system....when the system price came through it was the same as HN:mad:
    I freaked it and told them that it was false advertising etc. The sales assistant in DID said that that was the way it worked and it was his job to check prices so I said to him could he give me a deal on the dyson that I actually wanted (it was dearer in HN but I wasnt telling him that) so he gave me the one I wanted 120E cheaper than hn and a free digital photo frame so I was very happy.:D

what the hell are you talking about??

Harvey norman are cheaper...then dearer??

There is one set of rules for consumers and another for retailers, why cant people just go out and buy the product for the best deal they can??? it really is that simple.

This whole thread is about sombody complaing about getting e100 off a tv!!! its mental!

so what if you didnt get your reward for finding it cheaper?? who gives a ****?

Halfrauds wrote: »
    id be careful of what you say about D.I.D, bitching doesnt make you look great tbh:o

omg I better not complain what will the neighbors think :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

bitter much?? Your brother made himself look like a tool today, and your making yourself look like a moany git.

Yes, I am bitter, hence the reason i'm posting.
    so what they didnt give you the e200 back, you wouldnt have in that situation either, people do cancel orders and id be inclined to believe D.I.D

The advert says "Only 10 per store for €399. Queue early to avoid disappointment." There was another item there that was only ten per store and it had a sheet of paper there with 10 plain text boxes on it and 7 of those boxes had SOLD written on it, so I assume that was a checklist to show how many have been sold. No sheet of paper near the LG.
    your luck was in they had the T.V for e399, and you go mental at the manager??

Power City also had it for €399, so I wouldn't call our look "in" if we could get it at the same price down the road.
    Im sure the person behind you said ill have that for e399.

And if he did, good luck to him. Trouble is, if the next person to walk over to that TV and agreed to buy it, they would have been informed that the price is €499 as the €399 price tag was definitely not put back on it.

I don't care what what does or doesn't make me look great. I'm posting a consumer issue in the Consumer Issue forum about an issue in which a retailer has falsely advertised a price and then conveniently "changed" their price so as they don't lose out on €198.
    The problem is that retailers have been getting away with crap adverts for ages, and people dont complain to the right people, they just bitch to their computer:rolleyes:

I'm complaining here to warn boards members that are ever planning to buy from DID to be prepared and aware of these techniques that DID use to ensure that they don't get screwed out of the "Guaranteed double your money back vouchers if you find it cheaper somewhere else".
    sombody will be on later moaning about the DID service from the staff, people like you put a bad buzz on all employees for the day.

I'll give credit where credit is due to a good salesperson or staff. We were just given the round around today in DID and there wasn't a word of apology for the blatant pricing mix up.

so what they didnt give you the e200 back, you wouldnt have in that situation either, people do cancel orders and id be inclined to believe D.I.D,your luck was in they had the T.V for e399

You're seriously gullible if you believe that the cheaper TV just appeared. "Oh, I musta just got really really lucky, the exact TV I'm looking for, and you have a cancelled order that was not here when I first asked. Gee".

ttm wrote: »
    omg I better not complain what will the neighbors think :eek:

dunno, dont care, you dont wanna be my neighbour i dont give a crap what they say:p

Just sick of people moaning about retailers(although some of it is deserved), they got their tv for e399,thats what they wanted, so what?? retailers are there to make profit, thats what they do, they ARE NOT charities.

the op got greedy and wanted more. when they couldnt get it, just like a spoilt brat threw a tantrum.

There is a difference between not giving a ****, and making yourself look like a twat.

• Advertisement

You're seriously gullible if you believe that the cheaper TV just appeared. "Oh, I musta just got really really lucky, the exact TV I'm looking for, and you have a cancelled order that was not here when I first asked. Gee".

bet you believe 9/11 was a conspiracy too:rolleyes:

the world isnt out to get you:p

you got what you wanted...a tv for e399 whats your deal, why act like a child and throw a tantrum in the middle of the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You should have bought it at €499 then claimed double the difference.
    You gave them a perfect "Get out of Jail Card" and they used it.
    Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xxmarymoxx

are you a retailer cos u sound just like one full of crap:) he was gettin ripped off and has every right to complain and warn people thats whats wrong wit so many consumers in ireland they never complain enough and retailers get to overprice and get away with it its not called rip off ireland for nothing

Yes, I am bitter, hence the reason i'm posting.

The advert says "Only 10 per store for €399. Queue early to avoid disappointment." There was another item there that was only ten per store and it had a sheet of paper there with 10 plain text boxes on it and 7 of those boxes had SOLD written on it, so I assume that was a checklist to show how many have been sold. No sheet of paper near the LG.

Power City also had it for €399, so I wouldn't call our look "in" if we could get it at the same price down the road.

And if he did, good luck to him. Trouble is, if the next person to walk over to that TV and agreed to buy it, they would have been informed that the price is €499 as the €399 price tag was definitely not put back on it.

I don't care what what does or doesn't make me look great. I'm posting a consumer issue in the Consumer Issue forum about an issue in which a retailer has falsely advertised a price and then conveniently "changed" their price so as they don't lose out on €198.

I'm complaining here to warn boards members that are ever planning to buy from DID to be prepared and aware of these techniques that DID use to ensure that they don't get screwed out of the "Guaranteed double your money back vouchers if you find it cheaper somewhere else".

I'll give credit where credit is due to a good salesperson or staff. We were just given the round around today in DID and there wasn't a word of apology for the blatant pricing mix up.

you wernt given the run around, you were the one running around dublin, getting stressed to *maybe* save a few quid??

How old are you, how have you not copped that EVERY retailer here uses these techniques to get "footfall" in the door. Usually if a deal is too good to be true....it is.

No need to throw a tantrum in the shop, just put your complaint into a letter in writing.

by throwing a tntrum, you make o show of yourself, and what ever chance you had of getting a deal went out the window.

retailers dont need custom from people like you tbh, plenty of others who would buy the last TV for e399.

When that goes through the till it will go through at 399, Retailers use item codes, NOT manually whack in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

ok it was a certain model that was 100e cheaper in hn. But the model I wanted was 100e dearer in hn. I was going to buy the one that was cheaper in hn to get the 200e difference but because they didnt honour it I asked for the model I originally wanted at a cheaper price and got it but I didnt tell them it was cheaper in Did than in HN...Ok do you understand now sorry its not very clear.

Hagar wrote: »
    You should have bought it at €499 then claimed double the difference.
    You gave them a perfect "Get out of Jail Card" and they used it.
    Live and learn.

I think thats what they mean by writte proof, thats what common sense would say, if i was to save e200, id have done the same,.

gonker wrote: »
    ok it was a certain model that was 100e cheaper in hn. But the model I wanted was 100e dearer in hn. I was going to buy the one that was cheaper in hn to get the 200e difference but because they didnt honour it I asked for the model I originally wanted at a cheaper price and got it but I didnt tell them it was cheaper in Did than in HN...Ok do you understand now sorry its not very clear.

eh?? why try and scam a scam:D

ye i get ya now!

xxmarymoxx wrote: »
    are you a retailer cos u sound just like one full of crap:) he was gettin ripped off and has every right to complain and warn people thats whats wrong wit so many consumers in ireland they never complain enough and retailers get to overprice and get away with it its not called rip off ireland for nothing

he wasnt getting ripped off, he was trying to get one over on DiD. It didnt work, he was getting the TV cheap so, i cannot understand complaining??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, it appears that you were the one trying to pull a fast one here, and that you didn't pull it off.

I really can't blame the shop for trying to avoid giving you E198 back, especially in these economic times. As you hadn't purchased the T.V., you had no contract with the shop and therefore had no entitlement to the Double the Difference deal.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We don't have DID here in Cork but they are (were) the importer for our oven. Twice we rang to get a replacement button and twice it was sent out same day no charge.

At the time it struck me as decent service.

I don't really see the problem here - the OP was ultimately offered the TV at a price-matched price.

Advertisement