Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.D. Scam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

Halfrauds wrote: »
    he wasnt getting ripped off, he was trying to get one over on DiD. It didnt work, he was getting the TV cheap so, i cannot understand complaining??

I didn't go there for the sole purpose of getting one over on DID. We spotted that the TV that we were looking for was €100 dearer and enquired about it. They said get the written proof and we'll give you double the difference. We got them proof via the internet and they changed their price conveniently. I don't understand why they would tell us the double the difference offer and then go back on their word once the proof was produced there and then. Is that not false advertising? Yes or no?

gonker wrote: »
    I was looking at dysons in did and harvey norman and the price in hn was 100euro cheaper. I asked the shop assistant what way the double the difference worked and he said you have to get a written price from the other store and buy it in did before they give you the difference.
    I ran up to harvey Norman and asked the shop assistant to give me a price he did and I rang my husband to buy the product in did.
    He was buying it and they wouldnt put the product through, said there was a problem on the system....when the system price came through it was the same as HN:mad:

There's further proof that it's not just me this has conveniently happened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

as you see its happened to me too but I turned it to my advantage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

ecodub wrote: »

... While you may not love PowerCity or DID they are both Irish companies giving very good value for money over the last number of years. And they still have some excellent deals in these difficult times with the low sterling rate.

I have dealt with both companies over the years and never had a problem with them, I even picked up a TV in DID today.

Would have to agree there. I have spent a fair few bob in both stores and any post sales issues I have had have been dealt with to my satisfaction.

As Hagar says the "Double the Difference Guarantee" applies where a consumer has already purchased a product in DID and subsequently finds the same product at a cheaper price elsewhere. In that respect the OP & brother were chancing their arm and probably got more respect from the salesman/manager than they deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Hope its OK to quote in full from http://www.didstore.com/terms.asp ?

DOUBLE THE DIFFERENCE OFFER
    If you purchase a product from D.I.D Electrical and find the exact same product (brand, model, colour and size) cheaper in any other retail store anywhere else in the Republic of Ireland within seven days of purchase from D.I.D. Electrical, we will be happy to refund you a D.I.D Electrical voucher not for the difference but for double the difference.

In the unlikely event that you spot a lower price within seven days of your purchase, D.I.D Electrical will ‘double the difference’ between our shelf edge price and the shelf edge price at which the competitor displays the item for sale to customers but not a negotiated or special price for particular stock.
    Simply bring your D.I.D Electrical receipt and a written competitor quote of the stock item for sale to us within seven days of purchase. All goods must be new, available ex stock, boxed and in perfect condition. This guarantee does not apply to ex-display stock. Excludes Internet offers. A price check must be verified by the D.I.D Electrical store manager on duty. The guarantee does not apply to special order stock. D.I.D Electrical reserves the right to cancel any voucher should the competitor’s price be found to be not a genuine offer for sale.

I think the terms and conditions are fairly black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

PG4000 wrote: »
    I didn't go there for the sole purpose of getting one over on DID. We spotted that the TV that we were looking for was €100 dearer and enquired about it. They said get the written proof and we'll give you double the difference. We got them proof via the internet and they changed their price conveniently. I don't understand why they would tell us the double the difference offer and then go back on their word once the proof was produced there and then. Is that not false advertising? Yes or no?

There's further proof that it's not just me this has conveniently happened to.

ah your gas, you went there for the sole purpose of getting a 32" TV for e100, which is rediculous, as i said retailers aint charities!, they have to make money to pay staff, tax, etc, etc.
    You were chancing your arm and got called(nothing wrong with asking) then threw a tantrum(whichh is wrong) unfortunatley consumers like you are everywhere,the sooner you cop on and appreciate that DID actually did do you a deal, and knew there was a TV going spare.

You said yourself they told you to feck off to fonthill to get the deal....they saved you that trip, and what did you do?? threw a tantrum and let everybody know DID are crap.

On how convienient it was that a TV was going spare.......who cares?? do you work there?? no!
    Do you know they were pulling a fast one?? NO!!

So cop on, id say that they did their best and unfortunatley it wasnt good enough for you, because you were so paranoid of being ripped off.

Consumers like you are a disgrace, your brothers behaviour was a joke too.
    Im sure your are the joke of the day amongst DID staff, yes, they do laugh at people who throw tntrums instore, NOT give them what they want.:rolleyes:

As was well pointed out, a price on the net, is far from written proof:rolleyes: you NEED a reciept as this is a contract of sale.

sure anybody can write on paper, or photoshop a advert , that a flatscreen TV is going for E2 in Harvey norman:D doesnt mean jack ****.

So, seen as your on this complaining, i take you didnt get the flatscreen, or its not as good s you thought:p

god if i got a flatscreen TV i wouldnt be on the net complaining...id be watching the thing:D

if you got the tv in power city bring your receipt with you to Harvey norman and see if they do you the deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

so what if you didnt get your reward for finding it cheaper?? who gives a ****?

Thats why they advertise, its like saying were giving tv's 2 for the price of one but when ye turn up ye only get one tv. It's bull****.
    Your right though, the OP must be an awful gob****e to expect to get whats advertised :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

colly10 wrote: »
    Thats why they advertise, its like saying were giving tv's 2 for the price of one but when ye turn up ye only get one tv. It's bull****.
    Your right though, the OP must be an awful gob****e to expect to get whats advertised :rolleyes:

gob****e for not reading the T&C:rolleyes:

Gullible Gob****e, for expecting to get a flatscreen tv that costs e500 for e100:D

They advertise to get footfall not to get sales, its the sales persons job to sell you somthing.

Sure the TV went through the till at e399, so the deal doesnt apply so the OP had no case end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Gullible Gob****e, for expecting to get a flatscreen tv that costs e500 for e100:D

He never said he wanted it for 100 euro, he said he saw it 100 euro cheaper.
    Sure the TV went through the till at e399, so the deal doesnt apply so the OP had no case end of.

Yes he has no case, thats why it's a joke, they changed the price of the tv at the time to avoid giving him what was advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

ttm wrote: »
    Hope its OK to quote in full from http://www.didstore.com/terms.asp ?

If you purchase a product from D.I.D Electrical and find the exact same product (brand, model, colour and size) cheaper in any other retail store anywhere else in the Republic of Ireland within seven days of purchase from D.I.D. Electrical, we will be happy to refund you a D.I.D Electrical voucher not for the difference but for double the difference.

In the unlikely event that you spot a lower price within seven days of your purchase, D.I.D Electrical will ‘double the difference’ between our shelf edge price and the shelf edge price at which the competitor displays the item for sale to customers but not a negotiated or special price for particular stock.
    Simply bring your D.I.D Electrical receipt and a written competitor quote of the stock item for sale to us within seven days of purchase. All goods must be new, available ex stock, boxed and in perfect condition. This guarantee does not apply to ex-display stock. Excludes Internet offers. A price check must be verified by the D.I.D Electrical store manager on duty. The guarantee does not apply to special order stock. D.I.D Electrical reserves the right to cancel any voucher should the competitor’s price be found to be not a genuine offer for sale.

I think the terms and conditions are fairly black and white.
    They sure as hell are black and white!!! You buy a TV from DID and then you find it cheaper in Powercity/Curry's/Harvey Norman's, then they'll give you double the difference back. But you have to have bought the TV from them first at the price DID were advertising on it and then go back to them with the cheaper quote from another store. Then you'll get double the difference in store credit. Doesn't mention anywhere that they will knock double the difference off if you simply stroll off the street with a quote before purchasing the TV, they will simply price match it. Confusing as the advertising and T&C wording may be to some people, you simply had no case whatsoever to avail of the double the difference offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

dont be so fcuking greedy

he offered you the tv for the lowest possible price

now u want him to knock off another 200 quid

if i was him id have sent u to ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

The only thing the OP's brother did wrong, was not to buy the TV at €499, then claim the "double the difference".

It's obvious to anyone that DID changed the price to get out of having to pay out on their offer.

People seem to be missing the point, probably because they want to:rolleyes:

The sales guy the OP's brother spoke to didn't know the terms and conditions of the Double Difference offer himself other wise he would have explained that you had to buy the item first before it applied.

-1 for DID staff training

Either the price at 499euro was correct in which case DID conviently changed it OR the item should have been marked up at 399euro in which case DID staff couldn't be bothered either way.

-1 for DID

How many more reasons do retail shops want to give people to shop online and cut out staff who can't help you because they don't know about the products or their companies own policies and don't even know the price of an item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

bitter much?? Your brother made himself look like a tool today, and your making yourself look like a moany git.

so what they didnt give you the e200 back, you wouldnt have in that situation either, people do cancel orders and id be inclined to believe D.I.D,your luck was in they had the T.V for e399, and you go mental at the manager?? Im sure the person behind you said ill have that for e399.

id be careful of what you say about D.I.D, bitching doesnt make you look great tbh:o

The problem is that retailers have been getting away with crap adverts for ages, and people dont complain to the right people, they just bitch to their computer:rolleyes:.

sombody will be on later moaning about the DID service from the staff, people like you put a bad buzz on all employees for the day.
    What a rubbish post. The man took action against this crap. I will never shop in DID after hearing of this. Fake deals like this show they have no integrity and are not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

im convinced that Halfrauds is a retailer somewhere who is so sick of people getting annoyed at his backhanded in-store methods that he is deciding to vent online.

its that sort of sneaky behaviour from D.I.D that is driving people away from shops and having them shop online.i mean i would have no problem shopping in DID or Power City if the people knew what they were talking about and if i could trust that what i was getting was for the best price. i know that DID need to make money but it is so sly of them to get evidence of cheaper prices and then change them in-store. its just furthering the bad reputation that goes along with many Irish shops

madmik wrote: »
    dont be so fcuking greedy

he offered you the tv for the lowest possible price

now u want him to knock off another 200 quid

if i was him id have sent u to ebay
    I bet if you went out in the sales yesterday and had no problem buying some half priced stuff. If you went up to the till with something and then they said 'come on, we're not actually going to sell you at half price' you'd be fairly pissed off.

If DID don't want to honour their pricematch money offer then they should just scrap it. Sure they would have lost money on that tv but thats the incentive for them to keep their prices in line with other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I bet if you went out in the sales yesterday and had no problem buying some half priced stuff. If you went up to the till with something and then they said 'come on, we're not actually going to sell you at half price' you'd be fairly pissed off.

If DID don't want to honour their pricematch money offer then they should just scrap it. Sure they would have lost money on that tv but thats the incentive for them to keep their prices in line with other shops.

In order for them to honour the price match he needs to have actually purchased a TV from them.. as has been stated many times.. He enquired about the price, was told it was 100 Euro cheaper than advertised..

DID have technically done nothing wrong.. The OP assumed he was getting one over on DID and when he failed, complains..

It would be a "scam" if he had bought the TV and they refused to honour their advertising.. but he didn't.. why is that so difficult to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

321654 wrote: »

My mate works there and he says nobody has ever got double the difference back.

did people miss this point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Welease wrote: »
    In order for them to honour the price match he needs to have actually purchased a TV from them.. as has been stated many times.. He enquired about the price, was told it was 100 Euro cheaper than advertised..

DID have technically done nothing wrong.. The OP assumed he was getting one over on DID and when he failed, complains..

It would be a "scam" if he had bought the TV and they refused to honour their advertising.. but he didn't.. why is that so difficult to understand?

yeah fair enough he would have had to buy the TV there first to get the "Double the Difference"....i think the main problem now is D.I.D's slyness in the way they conveniently came up with one left over TV for 399, and didnt make that price known when the OP's brother didnt want the TV.it was obviously done to try and shut him up about the cheap ones in Power City.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

green123 wrote: »

Why is that - are DID so much more expensive than everywhere else? How would they get out of giving back the difference for people, unlike the op, who actually do the purchase bit.

kev_s88 wrote: »
    yeah fair enough he would have had to buy the TV there first to get the "Double the Difference"....i think the main problem now is D.I.D's slyness in the way they conveniently came up with one left over TV for 399, and didnt make that price known when the OP's brother didnt want the TV.it was obviously done to try and shut him up about the cheap ones in Power City.

Well it all comes down to perception in the end :)

From my perspective, he was offerred a price match by DID.. which they were under no obligation to do. He and his brother kicked up a "fuss" and started calling scam to anyone who would listen. He wants a price refund promise given to him that he doesnt qualify for.. In my eye's DID did more than enough, and the OP is just another loud misinformed complainer (and i don't mean that in a personal attack sense.. just that he is shouting scam in a shop when there is absolutely no scam taking place)..

It's absolutely fine and correct to complain when you are legally or morally entitled to do so, and we should do it more often, but for me in this case the OP has no valid complaint.

• Advertisement

green123 wrote: »

Seems they DID :rolleyes:

Well it all comes down to perception in the end :)

From my perspective, he was offerred a price match by DID.. which they were under no obligation to do. He and his brother kicked up a "fuss" and started calling scam to anyone who would listen. He wants a price refund promise given to him that he doesnt qualify for.. In my eye's DID did more than enough, and the OP is just another loud misinformed complainer (and i don't mean that in a personal attack sense.. just that he is shouting scam in a shop when there is absolutely no scam taking place)..

It's absolutely fine and correct to complain when you are legally or morally entitled to do so, and we should do it more often, but for me in this case the OP has no valid complaint.

Think of it from my perspective.

1. I'm in DID and told that this TV is €499
    2. We're told to prove its €399 elsewhere and we can get double the difference back in vouchers.
    3. We get them what they tell us is valid enough proof.
    4. We're told to hang on for a moment while the salesperson goes off to find out how to process these €198 in vouchers. Obviously we're thinking that this is our lucky day.
    5. He comes back (having asked his manager about how to process these vouchers) with a price tag that is hidden from the publics eye saying that the TV is actually €399.
    6. Obviously we're annoyed that we lost out on €198 back so we complain. What do expect? Us to just rollover and say, "Yep, thats fine. Sure it's not like we actually want theses vouchers that have twice been offered to us now is it? We'll take this TV at your revised price, good sir!"
    7. Its not like they ended up giving us this great offer. The TV is the exact same price (actually, they knocked €4 off for petrol money in Power City:D) and it's only a 2 minute drive down the road.

Well obviously our perspectives are going to remain different.. :)

From a legal standpoint, as I understand it, you did not have a contract with them so therefore you are not entitled to anything.. The salesperson was mistaken. Therefore no scam has taken place.

I don't believe that DID had 10 on offer or whatever they claimed, but I do believe they were trying to reach a half-way house with you (which in fairness is more than you are strictly entitled to), hence their 10 on offer story. It kinda sucks, but they technically did nothing wrong, as they key fact remains you had not purchased a TV from them.

Billy Bragg probably summed it up best.. "This isn't a court of justice, son.. This is a court of law" :)

Well obviously our perspectives are going to remain different.. :)

From a legal standpoint, as I understand it, you did not have a contract with them so therefore you are not entitled to anything.. The salesperson was mistaken. Therefore no scam has taken place.

I don't believe that DID had 10 on offer or whatever they claimed, but I do believe they were trying to reach a half-way house with you (which in fairness is more than you are strictly entitled to), hence their 10 on offer story. It kinda sucks, but they technically did nothing wrong, as they key fact remains you had not purchased a TV from them.

Billy Bragg probably summed it up best.. "This isn't a court of justice, son.. This is a court of law" :)

Ha. Yeah, it was a lesson learnt to say the least. I'll be fully prepared next time if something like this crops up again, thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Think of it from my perspective.

1. I'm in DID and told that this TV is €499
    2. We're told to prove its €399 elsewhere and we can get double the difference back in vouchers.

If you actually purchase the telly that is. Otherwise any Joe Soap could walk in off the street, say that something is cheaper down the road and demand double the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Hi all,

Going to have a bit of a rant here, but here it goes....

My brother decided to get a new TV today in the sales, so I went with him to see what offers were on. We went to Power City first to have a look. My brother had his eye on a 32 inch LG which they were selling for €399. We took note and went to D.I.D. to see if they were doing the same deal.

So we get there and see that the LG is €499. Knowing that they match prices and give you double the difference if other electical retailers are selling cheaper, we tell him that Power City are selling it at €399. The salesperson says "Oh well we need a written quote from them to prove it".

So to save a trip back to Power City, I got my phone out and got online and show him the Power City website showing the LG for €399. He goes off to check if this is valid enough proof and comes back saying "Yep, thats fine but you have to go to our Fonthill warehouse to collect it because he have none left here".

So we agree and then enquire about the double the difference back, and he says "Oh yeah, I just have to check that with the manager as i've never processed this before."

Saleperson comes back clutching a DID tag saying, "Actually, this TV is €399". Confused, my brother asks, "Well why is it priced up at €499 on the display model?"

"Oh eh, thats what price it usually is, but today its €399 for the first ten people who buy it and we have one left." (This was at 2pm today, so i'm pretty sure it was well snapped up early this morning.)

My brother starts kicking up a fuss about false advertisment and what not and then the manager tells us "that people cancel orders blah blah blah and that we have one left and thats why it is €399 still."

Brother walks out of the store telling the manager that its a scam and makes sure he lets other people standing around know it too. As we walk out the manager is still telling us that we can have it at €399 to which my brother repsonds that he'd rather deal with Power City.

The funny thing is, the salesperson never put the €399 price back on the display model, he put it back behind the counter.

So, I wonder has anyone every gotten "double the difference back" from DID or do they pull this scam on anyone that claims it. Don't think i'll be doing any business again with them in a hurry and i'll make sure I tell anyone I know to try and tarnish there image of having "guaranteed friendly knowledgeable service and Ireland’s lowest prices on top brand electrical goods."

Rant over!

here are the terms and conditions of that offer from the did website.
    http://www.didstore.com/terms.asp

If you wanted to get the offer, you should have purchased the Set, gone to powercity, fot the quote, then gone back to get your vouchers, instead of having an argument without actually laying any money down. This offer is about a refund of vouchers to the value of twice the difference. if he knocked €200 off for you, then they would lose that €200 sale. geddit????

But they wouldn't let him purchase at the higher price. No doubt if someone came in after them they would still charge e500.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Thanks, I can see that but isn't that false advertising? too many people here are too quick to start shouting scam and rip off without knowing the facts.

Its not a scam. It only applies if you buy the tv only to find it cheaper else where. You didnt buy the tv in DID only to find Powee City was cheaper. The priced matching something you were gona buy. They arent going to pay you to buy the tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

they only changed the price when he showed them the deal, what else do you expect?

he showed his hand and got called on it. he could still get the deal if the prices are still as they are. just get someone else to make the purchase at the higher price in DID.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    If you actually purchase the telly that is. Otherwise any Joe Soap could walk in off the street, say that something is cheaper down the road and demand double the difference.

We didn't know that. We enquired about the double the difference to a qualified DID salesperson and he told us to get the proof of it being €399 elssewhere, which we did.

Looking back on it now, he was obviously not going to tell us to buy the TV and come with the proof. We gave them the window of opportunity and they took it.

It just showed me another side to DID that I was unaware of and it really has left a sour taste in my mouth regarding them.

Advertisement