Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point overclocking a e6400? if so how high

Options
  • 27-12-2008 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I have a core2duo e6400 2.13 ghz on a crap unoverclockable board, its locked..

I was gonna ditch the whole lot and get a new pc etc..

But I was thinking maybe I could spend not too much get a decent motherboard, well half decent (spend about 80 euros max), a cooler and some new ram and overclock the 6400..

How high do you think I could safely get it for gaming on a sub 80 euro board? would there be any point? I wouldnt change voltage, I would just use air cooling , I dont really know much about overclocking anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I have my e6400 up to 3ghz safely for over a year. There is no voltage increase. The board I'm using is a cheap MSI P6N. I'm using a Scythe Ninja for air cooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I have my e6400 up to 3ghz safely for over a year. There is no voltage increase. The board I'm using is a cheap MSI P6N. I'm using a Scythe Ninja for air cooling.

50% increase in performance, thats very good, do you think the Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L would be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Is that board not a micro ATX board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

It is yeah.. are they at a distinct disadvantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

google for a pin or pad mod for your chip...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

That cpu will overclock on that board, but it wont be great.Its a great little board, I have it right now hooked up with a e6850 @ 3.8ghz, 9600gt, 4gb ddr2.

The only bad thing about that board is you have the wrong cpu for it, you really need a 300/333mhz fsb chip or a a high multi 200fsb chip like e2200/e5200 to see the best out it, as it doesnt want to go above 300fsb on 200/266fsb chips.Its a very good board for oc'ing provided it has the right cpu (q6600 for example can go along @ 3.20ghz all day on mine, I have seen guys get near 4ghz out of the €65 e5200 )

Your cpu will max out pretty quickly because of all that as the board.

My advice would be to sell your e6400 on adverts.ie for €40 or so and pick up a 2nd hand q6600 on adverts/ebay for around €100.Or else look into pin modding and try you luck.

I dont think there is any point changing the board as its perfectly good ( you just picked the worst cpu for it :p ).

Advertisement