Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing in another region

Options
  • 27-12-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hey,

I want to play WoW with some friends of mine who live in North America. Does anybody know how I could do that?

I figure if I got a NA version of the game from Amazon.com, maybe that'd work, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I'd need to do?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i think thats all you need, chances are tho that your lat will be abit high while playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

it would be PERFECTLY playable if you're on any broadband tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

If you already have the EU version of Wow installed, you an use that to play the game on the US servers. You just need to change a bit of text in one of the config files. Other than that, sign up for the trial account online (or get one of your friends to give you one) and ask them can you use their address/zip code etc., at the sign-up stage. I'm almost sure you can still upgrade from trial account to full account on the US Wow online + upgrade to TBC and WoTLK also.

Latency will be high but if they play on an East Coast server then it'll be manageable. West Coast servers are a bit too high in regard latency from Ireland and Oceanic servers are pointless to play on really.

Played on the US servers for a bit myself, latency wasn't really that much of a big issue until I got involved in pvp. Never got high enough on my character there to start raiding so couldn't tell you how it is in that regards with the latencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I play on US server Bleeding Hollow (from the UK). Very rarely get lag issues.

I got the US installation disks from a friend and then just downloaded the updates (which seemed to automatically include Burning Crusade).

I tried to upgrade via my account but it wouldn't work as it needed a zip code and because of my numerous attempts my card got blocked for attempted fraud :( (when I tried to upgrade the site just said the service was unavailable however my bank was still issuing auth codes so I ended up with a chunk of cash frozen for a few days as a result)

In the end I bought a serial for WoW and BC from allcdkey.com (kinda cool site, live help, serials arrived in like 5 mins), input them and it all worked. I'm using paypal to pay my subs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭KilOit

i played from australia, if you can access the game files you just change the realmlist to us, its same files it just shows us servers instead of eu ones

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Thread hijack :)

Are you able to do a char transfer from US to EU servers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

No Canis, not possible to do this at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

KilOit wrote: »
    i played from australia, if you can access the game files you just change the realmlist to us, its same files it just shows us servers instead of eu ones

You still need to have an US account though. You cant just change the realmlist and start playing with an eu account.

Advertisement