Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House is still cold after spending another grand a few weeks ago

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I wonder does it take a few cycles of the water going through the system to get the temp up to 90c?

I think the pipe bringing the water in distirbutes most to the rads and the rest goes into the bottom of the water tank. The water going back comes from the top of the tank so there is colder water going back all the time?

The hot water from the boiler goes into the top coil connection in the hot water cylinder.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If the thermostat on the boiler was faulty, the boiler would continue to run until the water boiled, or shut off early. The boiler seems to run continuously, and yet does not heat up. Either you are not measuring the temp correctly at the outlet, or the flame is not heating the boiler.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 poconnell

Hi Workaccount. The water temp on the flow pipe from your boiler into the houseshould be about 60 degree centigrade. You say it's about 37 degree centigrade so it looks like the boiler is not heating the water to the rads to the required temp. The problem now is to find out why but it looks like a boiler fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Workaccount ,from your post about being not sure about how many cycles your system needs. It sounds like you ran a temperature test on the pipes ,shortly after running the boiler from cold.

If there is trouble with your systems ,it can take anything up to over an hour to get ok temperatures. I don't work with oil boilers at all ,only gas but it does sounds like your boiler is not burning properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi workaccount
    What size pipe is coming in from boiler house. What size piep is it connecting to inside house. Try something go into attic about 1 hr after heating is on see is the water in 10 gal warm ? Have your radiators been balanced ? Would your cylinder in hot press be connected like a rad ?
    Mark water level in expansion tank go back after a time see does water level fall?

Heatherview
    To get to the bottom of your problem try all above and come back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'll add another possible problem which I haven't seen mentioned already and that is the workload on the pump itself.

I moved into a 4 bed detached house 4 years ago and always felt that the temperature never really got to what I'd like, despite having the boiler on near max setting and having the radiators balanced. I even got a bigger rad in my living room as this was the coldest of all rooms. In the end I just accepted the way it was, despite my heating guy giving me a list of possibles, but no definite's.

Anyhow, last year my pump started making grumbling noises and within a week it had packed up. I asked my heating guy to replace it and knowing my earlier problems with heat, he said for and extra €40 above the standard, I could get a better pump branded 'Grundfos' which he said was the dogs proverbials.

So, €250 later my heating system is like night and day. I cannot explain how much a difference it made, as my radiators are too hot to touch and this with the boiler just over the half way mark and the pump on the slowest setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

delly wrote: »
    I'll add another possible problem which I haven't seen mentioned already and that is the workload on the pump itself.

I moved into a 4 bed detached house 4 years ago and always felt that the temperature never really got to what I'd like, despite having the boiler on near max setting and having the radiators balanced. I even got a bigger rad in my living room as this was the coldest of all rooms. In the end I just accepted the way it was, despite my heating guy giving me a list of possibles, but no definite's.

Anyhow, last year my pump started making grumbling noises and within a week it had packed up. I asked my heating guy to replace it and knowing my earlier problems with heat, he said for and extra €40 above the standard, I could get a better pump branded 'Grundfos' which he said was the dogs proverbials.

So, €250 later my heating system is like night and day. I cannot explain how much a difference it made, as my radiators are too hot to touch and this with the boiler just over the half way mark and the pump on the slowest setting.

Good point Delly but I would have thought that in your situation, the boiler was producing enough heat BUT the pump was insufficient to pump it round the house. If this was the OP's problem, I would expect his boiler would be cutting in and out activated by the thermostat and that the water in the top pipe on the boiler would be hotter than 37C.

My money is still on the boiler not getting the heat from the flame for some reason.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Avns1s wrote: »
    Good point Delly but I would have thought that in your situation, the boiler was producing enough heat BUT the pump was insufficient to pump it round the house. If this was the OP's problem, I would expect his boiler would be cutting in and out activated by the thermostat and that the water in the top pipe on the boiler would be hotter than 37C.

My money is still on the boiler not getting the heat from the flame for some reason.

Aye, your probably right, although I know my boiler was on near constant at the time due to the return water having lost so much heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

If your rads are only at 30 to 37 degrees, i.e. you can hold your hand on them for ages without feeling a burn... then you have a problem at the boiler end.

If you set the boiler to 90 degrees, then the rads should be red hot, too hot to hold without feeling a burn.

My advice is to get a real professional heating engineer come and inspect the system.
    Don't skimp on this, there are many many chancers out there that fancy themselves as experts but have not had any proper training.

It might cost you a few hundred quid, but he should be able to identify the problem and give you peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Stupid question...

Is that 90 degree reading Fahrenheit by any chance?
    90F = 32C, not a million miles off your readings.
    37C is only body temp. That's not going to heat anything.

What's the highest number on the gauge you are reading the 90 degrees from?
    Can you set that gauge to 140F?

• Advertisement
Advertisement