Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

50% off Everything IN TOY-CITY PS3.Xbox.Wii.DS Everything in store!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

jambofc wrote: »
    tiz my perogative to buy as many as i wantd and you are very mean to be sayn im glad you wasted youre time what is it to you if i bought 1 or 101
    Anyone else amused by this guy using the word "perogative", but using txt speak in most of his posts? Total troll....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Mr E wrote: »
    Anyone else amused by this guy using the word "perogative", but using txt speak in most of his posts? Total troll....

ah he is getting attacked :)

i actually had the idea of buying two of them too, jambofc. sell it on ebay standard price and get a free PS3 box.
    i just didnt say it here - or actually do it :(

im sure they are just jealous at not thinking of it ! :)

nice one OP on grabbing the bargin while u could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

as i said earlier XTRA-VISSON staff were in looking for consoles to sell on themselvs as they were been sold for less than cost price from the suppliers :eek:

No , you said earlier that you had heard third party gossip that Xtravision staff had attempted to purchase consoles from a high street store.

Here it is :
    I was chatting to a mamber of staff at the software section and he said he had rival company XTRAVISSION staff come in yesterday asking if they could buy all there ps3 to sell on in xtravission!
    apparently Toy City Sold them off at below cost price!

Now thats quite different than knowing it as fact.

It is actually impossible to know it as fact in this case, as I'm afraid it's complete bollix.
    If indeed this chap DID tell you this, he is most likely well familiar with the works of the Brothers Grimm.

For one, ordinary XV store staff do not have the authority to remove thousands of Euro from the store cash till to go shopping to re-stock their shop over Christmas (Even if their office DID trust them with Thousands of Euro of company money, It would be nigh impossible for them to reconcile anything they bought onto their sales system without detailed computerised Head office authorisation. If there is a more complicated stock-receipt system in operation on this island than Xtravision's, I have yet to see it.) .

The only staff with authority to perform such a highly unlikely action would be someone like a BDM or a Regional manager.

Now if you were likely to find one of these pounding the beat over Christmas (which is unlikely in itself. They're more likely to be tied up with banking issues or finding last minute replacements for hungover staff) I really doubt they would announce their purchase by saying "Hello. Im from Xtravision, and I believe you're selling PS3 consoles below cost price. May I have several to re-stock my branch down the road please?"

Not happening. Don't believe it for a second. You've done a good thing by bringing this to peoples attention, don't ruin it by quoting unsubstantiated gossip as fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

No , you said earlier that you had heard third party gossip that Xtravision staff had attempted to purchase consoles from a high street store.

Here it is :

Now thats quite different than knowing it as fact.

It is actually impossible to know it as fact in this case, as I'm afraid it's complete bollix.
    If indeed this chap DID tell you this, he is most likely well familiar with the works of the Brothers Grimm.

For one, ordinary XV store staff do not have the authority to remove thousands of Euro from the store cash till to go shopping to re-stock their shop over Christmas (Even if their office DID trust them with Thousands of Euro of company money, It would be nigh impossible for them to reconcile anything they bought onto their sales system without detailed computerised Head office authorisation. If there is a more complicated stock-receipt system in operation on this island than Xtravision's, I have yet to see it.) .

The only staff with authority to perform such a highly unlikely action would be someone like a BDM or a Regional manager.

Now if you were likely to find one of these pounding the beat over Christmas (which is unlikely in itself. They're more likely to be tied up with banking issues or finding last minute replacements for hungover staff) I really doubt they would announce their purchase by saying "Hello. Im from Xtravision, and I believe you're selling PS3 consoles below cost price. May I have several to re-stock my branch down the road please?"

Not happening. Don't believe it for a second. You've done a good thing by bringing this to peoples attention, don't ruin it by quoting unsubstantiated gossip as fact.

It was first party, going by what he said, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭onlinegamer

Syferus wrote: »

good point leaderboard but but I dont agree with you on all of your comment!! im only going by what i was TOLD in TOYCITY you dont like it go and chat to the staff in toycity, i will give you his name & number if you want via pm!
    i cant beleave im replying to this but where are you going with "thousands of euro" they were only 200 each do you think they would have anything more than 5?? haha comon and plus xtravission head office is in Dublin in Greenhills road Tallaght they would have needed to approve of this and chances are they would have been still closed the day(s) after xmas?? but never the less it could have been just xtra visson 'staff' telling fibs to get the ps3's for there personal use & buy as many as they could to sell on at a proffit who knows like some other greedy whooores on this thread! go away and be missirable and dont be wasting any more of my time having me taken away from playing my cool ps3 :p

:) *YAY 1 MORE POST AND I CAN EDIT MY SIGNATURE!!* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

First party would be The XV staff member coming on this board and saying he tried to purchase ps3s in this store.

Second Party would be the Toy store staff member coming on this board saying that he was aware that XV staff members tried to buy ps3's from his store.

Third party is Onlinegamer coming on this board and telling us that the toy store staff told him that he was aware that XV staff tried to buy ps3's in his store.
    good point leaderboard but but I dont agree with you on all of your comment!! im only going by what i was TOLD in TOYCITY you dont like it go and chat to the staff in toycity, i will give you his name & number if you want via pm!
    i cant beleave im replying to this but where are you going with "thousands of euro" they were only 200 each do you think they would have anything more than 5?? haha comon and plus xtravission head office is in Dublin in Greenhills road Tallaght they would have needed to approve of this and chances are they would have been still closed the day(s) after xmas?? but never the less it could have been just xtra visson 'staff' telling fibs to get the ps3's for there personal use & buy as many as they could to sell on at a proffit who knows like some other greedy whooores on this thread! go away and be missirable and dont be wasting any more of my time having me taken away from playing my cool ps3 :p

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant, and I can verify whether the information you've given as fact is true or not without 'chatting' to toy city staff, ta very much all the same.

Just pointing out that although you do now seem to realise that the said staff member may have been telling you lies, or at least may not have fully understood what was going on, you did repeat his speculation as fact earlier on in this thread here :
    as i said earlier XTRA-VISSON staff were in looking for consoles to sell on themselvs as they were been sold for less than cost price from the suppliers :eek:

Now that we've cleared that up, you go and enjoy your cool ps3 to your hearts content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

If I were in the toy / game business I'd try & load up at half price as the margins in the business are dreadfully small.

For most board games, its less than 30%, for consoles its about 10% and computer games about 25%.

Either they've decided to do what woodies did with garden furniture & just clear the decks and turn it into cash. (woodies sold out of every piece of garden furniture thay had) - or they are reorganising the company with a possible sale to Smyths. (this rumor was around last year & Smyths are not short of cash with multi million euro profits)

As for others wondering if it applies to other toy stores - NO. Only the Toy City stores in Athlone, roscommon, Sligo & longford. Not Toymaster, not smyths, not world of wonder, not Toy Store. Just those with the name "Toy City" over their doors.

First party would be The XV staff member coming on this board and saying he tried to purchase ps3s in this store.

Second Party would be the Toy store staff member coming on this board saying that he was aware that XV staff members tried to buy ps3's from his store.

Third party is Onlinegamer coming on this board and telling us that the toy store staff told him that he was aware that XV staff tried to buy ps3's in his store.

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant, and I can verify whether the information you've given as fact is true or not without 'chatting' to toy city staff, ta very much all the same.

Just pointing out that although you do now seem to realise that the said staff member may have been telling you lies, or at least may not have fully understood what was going on, you did repeat his speculation as fact earlier on in this thread here :

Now that we've cleared that up, you go and enjoy your cool ps3 to your hearts content.

Again, it was first party evidence going by him.
    By the way you said it to begin with, you implied he had heard it from a third party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

darc wrote: »
    If I were in the toy / game business I'd try & load up at half price as the margins in the business are dreadfully small.

For most board games, its less than 30%, for consoles its about 10% and computer games about 25%.

Either they've decided to do what woodies did with garden furniture & just clear the decks and turn it into cash. (woodies sold out of every piece of garden furniture thay had) - or they are reorganising the company with a possible sale to Smyths. (this rumor was around last year & Smyths are not short of cash with multi million euro profits)

As for others wondering if it applies to other toy stores - NO. Only the Toy City stores in Athlone, roscommon, Sligo & longford. Not Toymaster, not smyths, not world of wonder, not Toy Store. Just those with the name "Toy City" over their doors.

Galway have 50% off everything in the shop. No consoles left but plenty of games there yesterday. I mean the one beside the eye cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Ad on the radio this afternoon confirming it's the five stores in Athlone, Roscommon, Longford, Sligo and Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

chris1970 wrote: »
    i can confirm everything is 50% off marked price, no consoles left in galway & limited software, good deals on general toys, bought a few bits for the nipper for birthday in march, baby stuff and cots included....think it was open yesterday, i arrived about 13.30 galway, place packed but only 4 staff.... they earned their crust to day!!

AWWWWW:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I tough there was something a bit dodge about the console situation in athlone yesterday

I asked about:

wii controllers
    Ps3s
    and 360s

and there was none ,i was in at about 12:30, so it could have been fair enough, but it was the way the guy at the counter replied it was kinda as if there was a joke that i wasnt in on (At least thats the kinda feeling i got)

EDIT: I did get left 4 dead for €25 so it wasnt a wasted trip. Some of there pricing was awful though even at half price: Oblivion on the ps3 was €70 and it wasnt even the game of the year edition , there was original xbox games at €40

As for people giving out they were not answering the phones, they had 3 staff in athlone yesterday, one girl on the till, one fella manning the computer game section and one fella lugging the bigger things out to the cars, they were swamped and didnt have time to answer the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I tough there was something a bit dodge about the console situation in athlone yesterday

I asked about:

wii controllers
    Ps3s
    and 360s

and there was none ,i was in at about 12:30, so it could have been fair enough, but it was the way the guy at the counter replied it was kinda as if there was a joke that i wasnt in on (At least thats the kinda feeling i got)

I'd say more so because you went in 2 days after the sale began inquiring about 360 and ps3 consoles. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zoro wrote: »
    However, you stated that you wanted to make a profit on whatever you bought, which obviously means that you intended to re-sell what you bought for what I can only presume is a ridiculous price.
    Who is going to pay a ridiculous price though?

50% off is a ridiculous price for consoles. I cannot understand the mentality of retailers who would give such un-necessary discounts. My mate saw beer before xmas with a BB date of early 2009, they sold it off 4 for €1 or something and he missed out, they could easily have charged twice that.

I can understand tesco underselling some items, or DID having 5 plasmas for underprice as it is advertising by word of mouth, and makes a good ad in the paper.

With 50% off I am surprised customers got any at all, I would expect staff to snap them up for mates & family & themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'd say more so because you went in 2 days after the sale began inquiring about 360 and ps3 consoles. :)

Well i take your point, but they were hardly open on stephens day and they were hardly open early the day i went in seeing as it was a sunday so i would count the time i went in has the morning of the second day. Also would have taken time for word to spread too, i'd imagine today and yesterday was much busier than the first day of the sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Again, it was first party evidence going by him.
    By the way you said it to begin with, you implied he had heard it from a third party.

Ah man, you should have quit while you were only slightly behind. That's the worst comeback ever. :D

I was on the way to Longford to see if the new call of duty was knocking around, but since Play have it for £25.00 , I'll get it sent to my mate in Edinburgh from there instead. Even if it was in stock, I doubt it'd be cheaper than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well i take your point, but they were hardly open on stephens day and they were hardly open early the day i went in seeing as it was a sunday so i would count the time i went in has the morning of the second day. Also would have taken time for word to spread too, i'd imagine today and yesterday was much busier than the first day of the sale

First day of the sale it was jammed, all the consoles disappeared fairly quickly...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It didn't take long for the word to spread in Sligo. I made it in before 12 on St Stephens day, all the 360s bar one halo edition for 200 after discount, they had a few ps3s left. The games counter was wedged and the queues just kept getting longer. I'd say the rest of the consoles sold out within an hour there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭onlinegamer

for all those who got the bargins happy days!!

for those who just felt they had to quote and comment on every thing that was said throughout the thread and instead of giving bargin tips you should try get out more and start shopping.. report back when you see a bargin and stop wasting other peoples time with "you said this and you said that" what are you A 10 year old in a school yard.. you didnt see any other people fussing about a comment i made about XTRAVISSION staff & there is over 11,000 views

Good news does travel fast AlmightyCushion.. I hope you got somthing you were looking for!

Happy Days!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Good news does travel fast AlmightyCushion.. I hope you got somthing you were looking for!

Happy Days!

I got the orange box for €20 but I was hoping to get the elite but they were out. Probably a good thing as I already have a ps3 with tonnes of games and will be building a new pc soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

for those who just felt they had to quote and comment on every thing that was said throughout the thread and instead of giving bargin tips you should try get out more and start shopping.. report back when you see a bargin and stop wasting other peoples time with "you said this and you said that" what are you A 10 year old in a school yard.. you didnt see any other people fussing about a comment i made about XTRAVISSION staff & there is over 11,000 views

Christ on a bike! Calm down , will you? You got a pointer not to spread porky pie gossip claiming it as fact, it wasn't a violation of your human rights!

Anyway, Here, this should make you feel all better.

We all clubbed together to get you something for being the bestest bargain hunter ever. This is only given to people who's threads get 11,000 views.
    Order_of_Saint_Barnabas_Grand_Commander_Medal.png
    Now you're like Superman, but for Toy city instead of Metropolis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Just about the Xtra Vision staff, it is very likely.

Last year a certain sports retail chain was selling Man Utd jerseys for next to nothing. I was working for another sports retail chain and I was given 150 quid to run over and grab 5 and nobody was suspicious. At the same time other staff members called in at different times to do the same thing during the day. And other branches of our company did the same with stores near them.

We ordered in a load of barcodes for them and were sellin them within a few days. It seemed fairly easy to ammend the stock numbers for each store.

Of course it is hugely likely that something like that would go on - just look at the on-going controversies with GAME in Britain over them sucking up other stores' offers when they're sold below cost price.