Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80th Birthday ideas please

Options
  • 27-12-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My mother will be 80 in February. I'm stumped as to what to do for it. We have a very small family and I'm an only child so it will mostly be my friends. Approx 8-10. We could go to her favourite restaurant or a hotel and get a private room but we'll be a small group so don't know if we'll get one for so few people. Don't really want to have something in the house and hate the idea of hiring some smelly room somewhere!

Anyone any ideas of what to do and where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

you never know,you might get a private room in her favourite restaurant, it's worth asking anyway. is there any house you could all sit down and eat together comfortably?if so,you might be able to hire in a chef for the night,would cost the same as going out but it would be in the comfort of your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

For my Mam's 80th last year we had a tea party. It was in December and we booked a room in a nice hotel. They gave us a gorgeous room, beautifully decorated. We met at 4pm, the room had Christmas decorations, balloons, flowers, linen tablecloths etc. We had just family, her neighbours and her sisters (about 30 in all). Tiered plates with sambos, scones with clotted cream and jam and a birthday cake at the end. She was thrilled, she still goes on about it. No gargle involved and it all went so well. 2 hours was more than enough for her cos she got really tired with all the excitement. Finished up about 6 or 6.30. Made up a great book of photos from the day with http://www.digitalalbum.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

how about paint balling followed by a indian curry and a night on the tiles!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the (mostly) helpful suggestions! Have narrowed it down to either the Shelbourne or the Four Seasons, both of which have private dining spaces.

Next thing - I'd like to hire a nice car to take her there and back. Anyone recommend any particular company or have any idea of how much? Not a pimpmobile or hummer, but a nice limo (not stretch). Any suggestions?

Advertisement