Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Dissapointments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Crysis... Quite how they could get it so utterly wrong is beyond me, especially the aliens later on in the game... Whatever happened to learning from your mistakes?
    A lot of people seemed to ignore that because it looked so damn purdy...

Which made Crysis Warhead even more painful to play. After all of the hype it got, it was just a ****ty expansion pack for Crysis, not the "game that Crysis should have been" that many lauded it as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Disappointed by:

Fallout3's ending
    Fifa09 lack of saving replays to hard drive
    The Getaway
    GTA San Andreas
    L4D's crappy server connecting (it's getting better though)
    Skullmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Counter-strike:source.

GTA:SA.

Deus Ex 2.

The news that there's going to be a bioshock 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Thought of another, Black & White 2.

The 1st one was a great but the 2nd just didn't add enough. Was looking forward to a decent RTS section but it didn't happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

Driver 3...It was shíte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

GTA IV because it was just lacking.
    Red Alert 3 also felt pretty lacking compared to RA2.
    Mass Effect - What the hell is going on? :pac:

Gears of War 2 - You would think Epic would take the time to fix all the bugs from the first game's multiplayer. Nope, most of them are still there along with game breaking host advantage/lag. The game still uses server side hit detection with zero lag compensation. There's several new bugs too. The lack of testing is pretty blatant. Then they have the nerve to release an overpriced map pack and ban their own customers from using their forums because they complained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dont get me started on Epic...
    they f*cked UT3 as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

I bought Need for Speed on launch day and am afraid to open it, but it will be collectable as it is the last one or so they say. Worst piece of crap I have played this year are Assassins Creed and Pro Evo for PS3 and the Simpsons Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

bioshock was disappointing.
    Good game but it was hyped up too much and had flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sins of a Solar Empire single player campaign(s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

po0k wrote: »
    Sins of a Solar Empire single player campaign(s)
    Or the lack thereof.

The Single Player mode is a lot of fun in itself though. For $29.99 (walmart) you cant complain - and I cant complain because Stardock gave it to me for free. The patches they keep rolling out are continually improving the AI, and at $9.99 Entrenchment should prove a good expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Jazzy wrote: »
    dont get me started on Epic...
    they f*cked UT3 as well

Multi-Ditto'd. Not only did they produce a pre-alpha turkey in UT3 but they then pissed all over their community when we dared complain. They're dead on the PC so their plans for focusing on the consoles better work out for them, that bridge is a cinder (and it actually put me off buying their console titles).

Also:
    Fable
    Spore

Both for not even being remotely close to the scale they had claimed up until release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GTA IV: The move to a more realistic and gritty storyline didn't work. The writing was awful, mission repetitive and all the wacky humour and silly missions were gone. It's not bad just a big step back. It pisses all over saints row 2 in every regard except the most important one, saints row 2 is oodles more fun.

MGS 4: the game is an absolute mess. I don't know how they went from gettin it so right with MGS 3 to this mess. Gameplay is okay for the first 2 chapters but there isn't much focus on stealth. Chapter 3 was a decent diversion. Then the last 2 chapters all the enemies are replaced by mechs and frogs and it couldn't be any less fun. Bosses which usually require the use of your gadgets to beat and have multiple ways of beating them now are reduced to really poor encounters where the only tactic is to pump as much ammo into them as possible. There's about an hout and a half of gameplay in there, the rest taken up by the longest most boring cutscenes ever. The silliness factor is through the roof (meryl/akiba scene anyone?). Can't believe how all the MGS fanboys can call it the greatest game ever and cream themselves over it.

Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures was one of the best games on the megadrive but they completely changed the gameplay for sparkster and it was a much poorer game.

Final Fantasy XII: After the rubbish FFX-2 and squareenix turning into corporate whores and pumping out focus group driven drivel I should have known better than to get excited. However with the Vagrant Story and FF tactics team on board I held out a bit of hope. Instead of giving us a new FF game we got an MMO without the multiplayer aspect. What square didn't realise is that without the multiplayer aspect MMO's are the most boring games ever. Was it any surprise to them that FFXII was boring?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Final Fantasy Series died for me when their Directors saw fit to publish X-2. XII looked like it had potential but it just felt far removed from the rest of the games - i got as far as getting into an airship before putting it down.

Poopy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yes FFX-2 was a bit of a joke game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Con.

dissapointed with absolutely everything in the last few years. maybe its just me. unfortunately for me no game in the last 5 or so years has stood out in a good way. guess my standards are set too high :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Bullet Witch on the 360.

Running and gunning ala DMC, scantilly clad sexy witch, fighting the undead, giant machinegun/cannon broomstick =/= good game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I really liked R6V2 - not as good as the first as i prefered the actual Vegas setting of the first game. However, I absolutely loved terrorist hunting with mates in both, and especially in the second.

Agreed, the multiplayer on R6V2 is where the gameplay truely comes in. I played the first level in single player and didn't bother playing it ever again, switched to multiplayer and got hooked :D.

I dont really know much games iv been disapointed in. One would be Might & Magic 9, the depth of the game was gone and truthfully speaking the entire 3D graphics engine completely ruined the game also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Another vote for Deus Ex 2. Knights of the Old Republic 2 being the only other game that has really disappointed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Knights of the Old Republic 2 being the only other game that has really disappointed me.

+1 It was buggy, rushed and clearly unfinished.

Command and Conquer 3 was disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Prince of Persia (the new one)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

silvine wrote: »
    +1 It was buggy, rushed and clearly unfinished.
    +1
    Atari annoyingly rushed it for the fall. Such a good game otherwise.
    *makes the Dark Side point gained sounds*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Con. wrote: »
    dissapointed with absolutely everything in the last few years. maybe its just me. unfortunately for me no game in the last 5 or so years has stood out in a good way. guess my standards are set too high :rolleyes:

My man you need Call of Duty 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Hated Assassin's Creed(so repetitive!) and GTA IV (Though I thought GTA SA was great - played so many hours on both PS2 and PC)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

My man you need Call of Duty 4!

Call of Duty 4 is a terrible game, if you don't like online gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Call of Duty 4 is a terrible game, if you don't like online gaming.
    Sorry, but that isnt true. Unless you meant to say
    Call of Duty 4 is a terrible game, if you don't like gaming.

The single player campaigns are among the best of it's genre this year or in fact for many previous. The story line is involving, it's realistic in a game type where that is a big positive, the set pieces were fantastic and the game was suitably challenging to all experience/skill levels if you chose the right difficulty setting.
    It was a quality game made even better value for money if you get into the online play.

But on-topic, my biggest disappointments were definitely Spore, Fable 2, Fallout 3 and Age of Conan.

Spore was not the game that I was led to believe. Tim Wright tried to tell me that before I played it, in some magazine interviews where he said even he felt the game had been hyped to unimaginable levels. but I just didnt listen.

Fable 2 was just Fable 1, with a little more polish and the same bland "reimagined" features. I spent €50 and played it for 12 minutes. Most expensive game ever, in my book :(

Fallout 3 was a good game, for what it was. Which is to say, it was Oblivion with guns and a novel Turn-based engine built in, but still not the game I wanted :(

Age of Conan should have been a smash hit this year and came so close to being so, only for a development team that listened to its player base too little, too late.

Darkfall may be my first disappointment of 2009, will know more in a month ;)
    I am looking forward to being pleasantly surprised.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MGS4, COD:WaW, Resistance 2, GTAIV, Motorstorm 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 are only a small selection of disappointments for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

MGS4- Still haven't finished it. Thought I'd die before Snake getting to the end.
    COD5- Load of bollocks.
    Far Cry 2- Far Shiite 2 more like it.
    Deus Ex 2- Damn you for all eternity Ion Storm. :mad:
    BF2142- Not a patch on BF2.
    Assasin's Creed- If I want to see the countryside I'll go for a fcukin walk in the real world.
    Fallout 3- See Assassin's Creed.
    Resident Evil 4?- Where's the fcukin zombies Capcom? Good game but thought story was crap.
    Oblivion- Dumped down for console tards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Ivan wrote: »
    Sorry, but that isnt true. Unless you meant to say

The single player campaigns are among the best of it's genre this year or in fact for many previous. The story line is involving, it's realistic in a game type where that is a big positive, the set pieces were fantastic and the game was suitably challenging to all experience/skill levels if you chose the right difficulty setting.
    It was a quality game made even better value for money if you get into the online play.

This is on topic though :)

There were a few instances that freaked me out in this

It is too short, you just get a taste for certain types of missions only to realise that there are no more of them. You can not "peak" around corners or "blind" shoot around corners.
    You have to move your entire body there (unless I am missing something huge!!!)

I love the game but single campaign should have been longer. They made a great engine and barely made use of it.

Advertisement