Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else leaving meteor?

• 27-12-2008 7:28pm

I'm really sick with the way they increased their charges. Huge thread here

So as a good citizen, I'm voting with my feet and leaving. Anyone else thinking of going to another network? And which network are you going with?

I think 3 is looking the best for me.

Are you leaving meteor? 85 votes

I'm with meteor and I'm staying with them
    0% 0 votes
    I'm with meteor and I'm leaving
    61% 52 votes
    I'm not with meteor, just having a browse
    38% 33 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

switched to 3 before the price hike, just as well because they also had a price hike. although i will be using my voda sim a lot more now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

how much are there txts now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It's the new minimum call charge thats a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

New changes are

* International Texts go up to 25c per message (still 15c on international tariff)
    * Minimum call charge of 9c once the call connects
    * Increase to 12c for texts from 9c or 11c depending on tariff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

going to vodafone cause the gf's moving to them and also everyone I know is on vodafone, therefore free texts to everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I think ye chould cop on to be honest, almost everything else went up with the VAT! Anyone who knows who I am knows I'm on vodafone and most of my contacts are vodafone and for those who are disgusted with the way meteor put up the prices get a grip is all I feel like saying, the only thing I dont like about it is the 9c connection fee-the only thing I'd feel put out by is the 9c connection fee:eek: I think they should at least lower that!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I don't really ring people and I get the free texts to any network so will stay....

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Even with the recent Meteor price hikes - vodafone or O2 will screw you to a much greater extent than Meteor for most call user profiles.

For many pre paid customer you are better off with Tesco Mobile. Most Bill paid customers are better off with 3.

Shop around. Don#t stand for this stealth robbing by Eircon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sneaky b*stards alright, not telling us. But having looked at my price plan (a 6 year old plan) I'm still getting 20c a min calls, the only difference being 12c txts and the 9c minimum charge. I'm not too fussed about that - Tescos is the same but with 9c texts - but are actually more expensive in other areas - they charge for voicemail and 1c per KB on their GPRS internet! I'll stay with Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Even with the Tesco voicemail and CC charges most people are far better off with Tesco.

Walk from Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wiggum

Elessar wrote: »
    they charge for voicemail and 1c per KB on their GPRS internet! .

This is the same price as Meteor. Meteor do have bundles on top of this but the Tesco mobile bundles are better. Check out http://www.tescomobile.ie/MoneySavingBundles.aspx and 2 for one top ups on top of this.

Mobile Internet is not a reason to stay with the robbing scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

I'm living in Spain until July and I'm leaving them while I'm home for the xmas period because I have no incoming caller ID and its driving me mad.

All the other Irish people living in the same place on the different networks have caller ID......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PatAlpha

When electric, gas etc. go up it goes by the price regulator and makes national news. How can Meteor / Eircon get away with a 33.33% price hike so easily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

im not happy with the price hike but im using less credit than ever before 6months ago (before the phone a friend for free) i was goin through bout €80 then it was €40 now its €15 which is great but whats good for me not not be so good for other people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I still have my free texts to any network, think I'll be staying put! :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I think ye chould cop on to be honest, almost everything else went up with the VAT!
    VAT went up 0.5%. Fair enough - pass it onto the customers. But to put up charges like that, without giving something back is not best practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

VAT went up 0.5%. Fair enough - pass it onto the customers. But to put up charges like that, without giving something back is not best practise.
    Not giving something back?

Meteor have been upgrading their network in the last couple of years in order to compete with Vodafone and O2. In 2008 alone they launched 3G in 33% of the country and have recently lauched Mobile Broadband in a trial capacity.

They have spent huge money on trying to improve their network (which benefits the end user) so I think it's only natural that they would increase the price. The better the product / service - the more money you are likely to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    Not giving something back?

Meteor have been upgrading their network in the last couple of years in order to compete with Vodafone and O2. In 2008 alone they launched 3G in 33% of the country and have recently lauched Mobile Broadband in a trial capacity.

They have spent huge money on trying to improve their network (which benefits the end user) so I think it's only natural that they would increase the price. The better the product / service - the more money you are likely to pay.

All of the networks are consisently upgrading their networks so nothing unique to meteor there. Also, so what if they have launched 3g, I would imagine most of their customers do not have 3g enabled phones but they are paying for the 3g network which they are not using....as for mobile broadband, big deal if they launched it why should phone users pay for that.

• Advertisement

Meteor went from 2G to 3G. It's a more advanced / expensive service so naturally the prices are going to be raised to cover the cost.

You can rubbish Mobile Broadband but there is a lot of call for it at the moment and it would have cost Meteor a lot of money to develop. This money needs to come from somewhere.

It's nothing new on Vodafone and O2, they have had the technology for years but then again there prices were always this high. You get what you pay for really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Meteor went from 2G to 3G. It's a more advanced / expensive service so naturally the prices are going to be raised to cover the cost.

You can rubbish Mobile Broadband but there is a lot of call for it at the moment and it would have cost Meteor a lot of money to develop. This money needs to come from somewhere.

It's nothing new on Vodafone and O2, they have had the technology for years but then again there prices were always this high. You get what you pay for really.

3g and mobile broadband go hand in hand. Im fully aware about how popular mobile broadband is, what im saying is its one thing to bring in a more expensive plan for new customers it totall another thing to raise prices for existing customers

I've had at least 10 people yesterday who asked me about Mobile Broadband and were disappointed that it's only Cork/Dublin at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PatAlpha

I get the feeling Ronaldo works for Meteor/ Eircon.

PatAlpha wrote: »
    I get the feeling Ronaldo works for Meteor/ Eircon.
    Used to. Just looking at it from the networks perspective. They are not improving their network and trying to compete with Vodafone and O2 out of the goodness of their heart. They are paying out huge sums of money in order to make these improvements so it's only realistic to expect a raise in price.

These improvements cost a lot of money which will benefit the network and each of it's customers in the long run. Whether or not everybody affected by this price rise uses these services is irrelevant. These improvements cost a lot of money and need to be paid for, networks dont have an unlimited supply of money.

Despite the increase, they are still the cheapest option in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Used to. Just looking at it from the networks perspective. They are not improving their network and trying to compete with Vodafone and O2 out of the goodness of their heart. They are paying out huge sums of money in order to make these improvements so it's only realistic to expect a raise in price.

These improvements cost a lot of money which will benefit the network and each of it's customers in the long run. Whether or not everybody affected by this price rise uses these services is irrelevant. These improvements cost a lot of money and need to be paid for, networks dont have an unlimited supply of money.

I think you're missing the point though. Its not just the rise in prices people are complaining about- its how they've done it. I didn't hear about the increase in certain charges until I read it here on the boards. They should have sent a text message to every customer. They didn't do enough to make people aware of it.

And the other thing is that regardless of the fact that its clearly in the small print that all prices are subject to change; its still a kick in the teeth to their customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i wish they didn't. not everyone cares for 3G or mobile broadband. i'd be happy with 9600bps CSD on my phone if it was free. 2400 even. it boils down to people who don't use 3G paying for the 3G network so eircom doesn't need a proper DSL network.

You probably wish we were still using VHS so we didn't have to upgrade to DVD!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

chrislad wrote: »
    You probably wish we were still using VHS so we didn't have to upgrade to DVD!

People were given the option to pay extra to upgrade to dvd!!!

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point though. Its not just the rise in prices people are complaining about- its how they've done it. I didn't hear about the increase in certain charges until I read it here on the boards. They should have sent a text message to every customer. They didn't do enough to make people aware of it.

And the other thing is that regardless of the fact that its clearly in the small print that all prices are subject to change; its still a kick in the teeth to their customers
    I never said they went about it the right way. I was merely responding to a post stating that Meteor had upped the price without giving something back in return when infact they have spent millions improving their network infrastructure to bring it inline with Vodafone and O2.

The lack of notification was pretty poor but I'm sure they covered themselves legally in regard to this. It's not great but I can fully understand why they have done it and if you compare prices, they are probably still the best value for money.

Advertisement