Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundstore - Sony DAV-DZ260 5.1 Theater System - €169

Options
  • 27-12-2008 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Saw this in soundstore today and I am seriously considering going down to grab one tomorrow. I saw this in Soundstore on Sarsfield Road but Id imagine it's in the others too..

There is a big thread here already from August when this was €199 elsewhere and it has lots of details etc.. This set has great reviews on amazon and is a very good speaker system for this price,
    Great for ps3, xbox 360 etc with an optical input.

This one is €179 excl delivery on pixmania.
    Oh and soundstore has branches in Cork. Kerry, Limerick and Waterford so this one isn't for the Dubs im afraid :p

27122008059oj4.th.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

€159.95 on Power City.ie. Gleamed that link from the thread you linked to yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Ah yes, nice find but that site dosen't deliver to Munster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Redisle wrote: »
    Ah yes, nice find but that site dosen't deliver to Munster :(
    I was just pointing it out for all the dubs! Power City is approx a 5 min walk from my house ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If you plan on connecting it to a blu-ray player in the future than forget it.
    It only has one HDMI output and no input, you could connect it with a coax
    or an optical cable but that would only produce 3/2.1 sound and not High-Def 5.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

If you plan on connecting it to a blu-ray player in the future than forget it.
    It only has one HDMI output and no input, you could connect it with a coax
    or an optical cable but that would only produce 3/2.1 sound and not High-Def 5.1.

Eh....That's not true. Optical carries 5.1. I have used that myself. I'd also suspect it can carry ALL audio signals but I have no experience on the higher end to qualify that.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I have this unit linked by optical to my HTPC and it does DD 5.1 etc perfectly. Great little unit at a fraction of the cost of a seperate home cinema amp and speakers.

Yes, the optical out can carry 5.1 Dolby Digital if you connect it to a blu-ray player, but not Dolby TrueHD sound which for the moment at least, can only be done with a HDMI In, which the the Dav DZ260 does not have. (It only has one out)

By any means do buy this system, its fantastic. But if you connect it to a blu-ray player just remember that its not Dolby TrueHD sound you are listing to, but regular Dolby Digital - (which the SONY Dav DZ260 makes an excellent job at.)

Hopes this clears things up. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

I got this today in soundstore for €159 with €20 in vouchers free. Looks to be a great job but i havent been allowed connect it up fully as the soaps are on ;)

My TV hasnt an audio out, so i was wondering can i plug the scart from my satellite box into the 260, which will then take care of the audio out, and the 260 will then pass the video out to my TV thru its HDMI out?

Any idea's?
    Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

slemons wrote: »
    I got this today in soundstore for €159 with €20 in vouchers free. Looks to be a great job but i havent been allowed connect it up fully as the soaps are on ;)

My TV hasnt an audio out, so i was wondering can i plug the scart from my satellite box into the 260, which will then take care of the audio out, and the 260 will then pass the video out to my TV thru its HDMI out?

I have the 260 and it cant do that, for sure. What type of sattelite do you have. Its surely has more than one scart output?? If so, then you can connect the second scart output to the 260and it will extract the sound and convert it to surround.

If the satellite box you have has a digital optical output(All sky+ and sky hd boxes have this), you can connect it to the 260 via its optical in port, and that would give better quality sound than scart in

Thanks for that.
    I'll just use the digital coax out from my satellite box instead.
    Any idea's on where to get good quality cheap audio cables?
    I'd be looking for an optical cable to connect the ps3 to the 260 and then a digital coax to connect the satellite to the 260...

Soundstore wanted to charge me €90 for a hdmi cable so im sure they're audio cables are on the pricey side too.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Ebay for all of those. Get the cheapest hdmi lead you can find. They really are all the same, any expert will tell you. I hate when shops like Currys and Soundstore push those "monster" cables.

slemons wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I'll just use the digital coax out from my satellite box instead.
    Any idea's on where to get good quality cheap audio cables?
    I'd be looking for an optical cable to connect the ps3 to the 260 and then a digital coax to connect the satellite to the 260...

Soundstore wanted to charge me €90 for a hdmi cable so im sure they're audio cables are on the pricey side too.

Thanks

I got a coax cable for €10 at the Sony centre in Douglas Court Shopping Centre and a digital optical cable for €11 in the Sony Centre on Patrick Street and there both working just fine.

I've got the coax cable connected to the Blu-ray player the the digital optical cable connected to the Xbox 360.

I also got a HDMI cable for €39.99 at the Sony centre in Douglas Court Shopping Centre as well which is the one they recommended to me. (which was nice considering they could have sold me a much more expensive one). But you can also get a decent one at the Soundstore Sarsfield Road branch for €29.99

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I also got a HDMI cable for €39.99 at the Sony centre in Douglas Court Shopping Centre as well which is the one they recommended to me. (which was nice considering they could have sold me a much more expensive one). But you can also get a decent one at the Soundstore Sarsfield Road branch for €29.99

Hate to tell you but that ain't cheap for a HDMI cable, more like 5-10 euro is a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

TheDriver wrote: »
    Hate to tell you but that ain't cheap for a HDMI cable, more like 5-10 euro is a good price

Agreed. HDMI is similar to USB. No advantage is an expensive cable. A USB cable for 1euro will do the exact same thing as one for 50euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

So i can hook this up to my PS3 ? What do i need for it too work or will it work out of the box ? Thanks in advance.

TheDriver wrote: »

Why go to a fancy restaurant when you can go to Burger king.
    You get what you pay for.

Cheap price = Cheap quality

Sarge wrote: »
    So i can hook this up to my PS3 ? What do i need for it too work or will it work out of the box ? Thanks in advance.

You will need a Digital Optical Cable, around 7 - 12 euro.

Why go to a fancy restaurant when you can go to Burger king.
    You get what you pay for.

Cheap price = Cheap quality

In fairness, thats a pretty stupid comparison when it comes to hdmi cables(We're talkin about digital signals here, not food)).

The bottom line is that because hdmi transmits a digital signal, its either 100% or nothing so basically they are all the same. Its been discussed time and time again on boards and the general consensus is that there is NO point in getting an expensive cable. The cheapest one will do the exact same job.

Do a search and you'll see plenty of thread like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

aaf wrote: »
    €159.95 on Power City.ie. Gleamed that link from the thread you linked to yourself ;)

According to that, Drogheda has -1 in stock. Poor bastid that bought that!

Or maybe they need to update that awful website. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Has anybody checked for the cheapest online deal for this?
    Or something similar with at least as many audio-in sockets?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Zonda999 wrote: »
    In fairness, thats a pretty stupid comparison when it comes to hdmi cables(We're talkin about digital signals here, not food)).

The bottom line is that because hdmi transmits a digital signal, its either 100% or nothing so basically they are all the same. Its been discussed time and time again on boards and the general consensus is that there is NO point in getting an expensive cable. The cheapest one will do the exact same job.

That's tosh !

You know all those articles say that you _have_ to buy a 270euro Monster Cable ! ;)

BTW - good to see that you got a fanstastic delivery price from up-north to down-here...well wear.

parsi wrote: »
    That's tosh !

You know all those articles say that you _have_ to buy a 270euro Monster Cable ! ;)

BTW - good to see that you got a fanstastic delivery price from up-north to down-here...well wear.

Thanks! The new tv will go well with my 2.50e tesco HDMI cables....:D;):p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Got one of these for 199 in currys galway.
    Only a fiver more than shipped from pixmania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Loads of these back in Powercity the other day for €169

Zonda999 wrote: »

Do a search and you'll see plenty of thread like this

True HDMI is a digital signal, but 12 bit deep color mode on 1080p means the tmds clock through the cable is 222.75Mhz, and the data bits toggle 10x faster than that, so thats 2.2Ghz.
    16bit deep color mode is 297Mhz and almost 3 gigahertz
    At those speeds, the line between analog and digital is blurry.

We've tested lots of the cables though, and the cheapy ones are fine aslong as its short enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

hey. does this system produce 5.1 surround from the optical out on the ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bagsofballs

i have had one of these for over a year, have it connected to a blu ray player and a ps3 all with cheap hdmi and optical cables, fantastic sound, would highly reccomend! and yes full 5.1 surround from both ps3 and blu ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Have it and use it on PS3 mostly but works with my 360/PS3 using optical cable.

Agree, the sound is awesome. I use it for PlayTV and all, it works great. Play all my movies through PS3 using it and its awesome.

Would recommend.

Advertisement