Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Java

Options
  • 27-12-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Ok, I am completely new to Java and have decided I am going to get into it in 2009, so I want to start writing some simple programs now to get into it. Therefore, I need an application to compile & run the code that I write. I found the following:

http://www.javacoffeebreak.com/tutorials/gettingstarted/part1b.html

which explains how to install the JDK. I have to modify the autoexec file. However, how do you do this? I cannot seem to open with a text editor and I do not know if I should enter some command in the dos screen (hen I open the file, I see a dos screen which says "preparing to start your comuter... Retry, Abort or Fail)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Tableman wrote: »
    Ok, I am completely new to Java and have decided I am going to get into it in 2009, so I want to start writing some simple programs now to get into it. Therefore, I need an application to compile & run the code that I write. I found the following:

http://www.javacoffeebreak.com/tutorials/gettingstarted/part1b.html

which explains how to install the JDK. I have to modify the autoexec file. However, how do you do this? I cannot seem to open with a text editor and I do not know if I should enter some command in the dos screen (hen I open the file, I see a dos screen which says "preparing to start your comuter... Retry, Abort or Fail)

Seriously mate:

"Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000"

Why don't you just look at the documentation that comes with your version of the jdk? IIRC, if you download the windows binary, it will set everything up for you, including modifying the registry so you can run the compiler straight away.

Why don't you just right click on the "My Computer" icon, click "properties", etc. Add the java/bin directory to the path that way.

Fire up a new command window, type in 'javac' and see if it spits out the version number, etc.

It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Was writing a reply but cantab. beat me to it. :p That tutorial is ancient. You don't need to worry about autoexec.bat unless you're using windows98.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Easiest way to get everything up and running fast with a IDE and all i just to download the Netbeans + JDK bundle. http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/netbeans.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Exactly.

Go to java.sun.com and download Java 6 SDK. Install it.
    Go to eclipse.org and download Eclipse for Java. Install it.

Open Eclipse. Make new project. Make new class. Add main method. Write code. Press play button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

As said above just use the windows binaries. or netbeans.

probably the best ide's in my opinion would be
    1.Netbeans. <-- good all rounder, usually bundled with everything needed for J2SE,J2EE + J2Me
    2.Eclipse <-- good for web development things like RAD can be added.
    3.Jcreator <-- very simple ideal for server side work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 codecrunchers

Eclipse rocks, multiplatform, multi language -- bar some memory hogging issues, this is the way to go.....SVN, CVS, GIT, GUI design - all the features of a professional suite.

Alan

Advertisement