Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help-Understanding Heating System?

Options
  • 27-12-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some help to understand my heating system, I dont want to call a plumber yet in case there is nothing wrong.

I moved into my first house about a year ago, I have oil fired heating and its working fine when switched on timer or auto, the rads heat fine upstairs and downstairs, the water in all taps heat also.

Problem- I've never used the bath, I've always used electric shower so the bath in the house has never been used. My partner wanted to use it last week so I switched on the oil for water, water never heated, then I found a switch in kitchen, said 'water heater', presumed it was emersion so I tried that but nothing.

The cylinder in the hotpress is marked-Copperform (foamlagged) by RCM Group, 900x450 Indirect Cylinder Grade 3. Double dutch to me.

Has any1 any ideas, there are 3 white electrical boxes around cylinder, 1 says water which the orange power light comes on and the other 2 say upstairs/downstairs but dont light up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

There’s are you zones upstairs downstairs hot water
    Turn your heating on for hot water only; there should be as you said; one motorised valve energised’ small orange light’ this motorised valve will be on either the return or the flow to the cylinder; there’s more than likely a balancing valve’ also plus a cylinder stat .
    You can try this; if the motorised valve has opened’ and the cylinder stat is calling for heat’ feel the pipe work around the thank’ if they are getting hot but there is no flow to the boiler’ then most likely the balancing valve’ is shut you need to open this valve just a little

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi copper12, I had a look at the cylinder and on the copper pipe exiting the lower half of cylinder there was a red tap (maybe valve?) i opened it,it seemed to be shut,dont know why and there plenty of hot water to bath now!

I have the house since built new so maybe the system is the way the original plumber left it. Its kind of funny situation, one plumber did phase one and another phase two, when I bought the house the builders were pulling out of estate and when I needed to ask question i couldnt contact anyone. I have a local plumber who serviced my oil burner once, would it be recommended to get him to check the system and explain it to me?thanks

Advertisement