Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Broadband Availabilty.

Options
  • 27-12-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭

I've been granted full planning permission on a new build approx 1 mile from a village with broadband availabilty.

Is there any way to see if my new Eircom connection will be broadband compatible before I start building?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No!

Furthermore eircom could take a year or more to supply you with a new telephone line, especially if the pole is on the far side of the road.

You would be well advised to run an underground cable out to the road anyway and to enusre it can cross the road if required and climb 5m up the nearest pole .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No!

Furthermore eircom could take a year or more to supply you with a new telephone line, especially if the pole is on the far side of the road.

You would be well advised to run an underground cable out to the road anyway and to enusre it can cross the road if required and climb 5m up the nearest pole .

The days of one year to connect are long dead, except unless you are somewhere inside the western parkway (M50). Most new houses should be connected within one month two max. Ireland's housing boom is dead and it is having a knock on effect on both Eircom and the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

mumhaabu wrote: »
    The days of one year to connect are long dead, except unless you are somewhere inside the western parkway (M50). Most new houses should be connected within one month two max. Ireland's housing boom is dead and it is having a knock on effect on both Eircom and the ESB.

connection is 1 thing but im in a village of around 200+ and the closest exchange wont be enabled till spring next year at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

glic83 wrote: »
    connection is 1 thing but im in a village of around 200+ and the closest exchange wont be enabled till spring next year at the earliest

Thats completely irrelevant in this case since the village he is close to is already broadband enabled.

TO OP. There really is no way to be 100% sure that your line will be good enough to get broadband until its actually put in and passes the line test. Putting the phone numbers of people around you into line checkers can give you a fair idea of the state of the equipment but other than that its mostly luck. If it was me I'd take a look into alternate solutions in the area for a redundancy if you do end up one of the unlucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thats completely irrelevant in this case since the village he is close to is already broadband enabled.

TO OP. There really is no way to be 100% sure that your line will be good enough to get broadband until its actually put in and passes the line test. Putting the phone numbers of people around you into line checkers can give you a fair idea of the state of the equipment but other than that its mostly luck. If it was me I'd take a look into alternate solutions in the area for a redundancy if you do end up one of the unlucky ones.
    I'll just have to play the old waiting game I suppose. I wouldn't like to be the person on the other end of the line telling me that I can't get broadband. As insane as this sounds the prospect of broadband is a majot decision in me building. Not just for browsing ans stuff but also because ?I have some pretty modern ideals in mind for my new house that will all require constand highspeed net access.

Is it just my opinion that in todays day and age that broadband availability is open, and might never be, to everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Q2002 wrote: »
    I'll just have to play the old waiting game I suppose. I wouldn't like to be the person on the other end of the line telling me that I can't get broadband. As insane as this sounds the prospect of broadband is a majot decision in me building. Not just for browsing ans stuff but also because ?I have some pretty modern ideals in mind for my new house that will all require constand highspeed net access.

Is it just my opinion that in todays day and age that broadband availability is open, and might never be, to everyone?

You're preaching to the choir here.

As far as broadband having a major effect on your decision to build, its NOT insane. The sooner the government and Irish people as a whole realize that broadband is in the same league as water/power/phone etc. the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You should investigate the other options in Your area (fixed wireless) also and not basing all your hopes on Dsl. No harm in finding out where their Access Point is and running a cat5 cable to somewhere thats visible to it, and maybe another to your chimney or a high point on a gable looking towards their access point.

Advertisement