Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good bicycle shop?

Options
  • 27-12-2008 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi everyone! Can anyone recommend a good bicycle shop, preferably one with a sale on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi, as far as I know Halfords in Mahon Point have a decent bicycle section. They have a sale on. A biker friend of mine picks up the odd bits & pieces there.

Failing that I have dealt with Noel Holmes Bicycle shop in Ballincollig (West of village across from the Maxol station). He has always been fair with me over the years so he is worth a plug.

Finally have a look at http://www.chainreaction.com This seems to have the hottest deals at the minute. They are based in Belfast as far as I know but deal a lot on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

If you know anything about bikes, you are far better buying online. Unfortunately there are no bike shops in Cork that are worth a damn in terms of value for money or professional advice. The best online Irish based store is
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie
    but there is usually better value from chain reaction cycles or wiggle. Both have free shipping. For advice and fitting, I'm a fan of cycling pursuits in Limerick. There is an excellent guy in Cork who works on a freelance basis also.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Theres a guy near the white horse in Ballincollig .Always very obliging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

fastrac wrote: »

That'd be Noel, former full time rider so knows more about bikes than most have forgotten. Online shopping for bikes is really only for those in the know or if you don't care what you get as you can make some bad choices without the advice of a professional to guide you that could do some lasting damage to your knees etc if you go for click in pedels like an spd and don't have the bike setup correctly.

I'd give Noel call and see what he can do for you.
    Also Cycling Pursuits had a shop in Cork too but dunno if its still open.

MC

Have no connection with Noel apart from trying to throttle him a few times on the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

also carrolls cycle in dillons cross aint a bad shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

fastrac wrote: »

Eh, I just mentioned him above. Ask to climb into the attic of the shop too, up there you should see all the cycling trophies he has won. He is clued into bikes in a big way & has a passion about them.

Anyone use Barry Kilgrew's shop off Nth Main St recently? They used to stock pretty good gear years ago. Haven't been updating my bike knowledge in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Just buy a car OP, no point in trying to cylcle in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

A bit defeatist. Will there be as many cars on the road this time next year? I doubt it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

Just wondering if anywhere in cork does 2nd hand bikes?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 leftright

I bought my bicycle from Rothar Cycles on Barrack Street, twas new but I know they also do second hand. Very happy with my new bike. Carrols cycles near Dillons Cross also do second hand - my friend got a decent one from there recently. Be sure and buy a decent lock! I have a big heavy one but two nights ago my friends bike was robbed cos the lock wasn't hefty enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

Thanks for that. I'll try there, I'm living in the country so I just want one for a few leisurely cycles during the summer!
    Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

elainee wrote: »
    also carrolls cycle in dillons cross aint a bad shop

They have a good sale on too. Up to 40% off bikes

Advertisement